• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nymerio

Just finished the latest Dresden book. I was really into that series last year but damn did that formula grow stale fast. So much action and it still managed to be boring. There is no tension whatsoever when you already know that no matter what happens either Dresden levels up his powers or someone miraculously appears out of nowhere to save the day.

Necrovex

Yep I hear you. I don't read fast enough for this to be practical, and the selection appears to be in the same vein as their music and movie selection, which is to say: not a lot.

I know what you mean. I've hit one of my stagnant point where I get super distracted by reading (this also goes hand-in-hand when I get addicted to a game).

RayMaker

Banned
manganiello3f-1-web.jpg
total_recall_arnold_book_cover.jpg

Steve_Jobs_by_Walter_Isaacson.jpg

The total recall is my favorite and the joe manganello is surprisingly enjoyable.Have not read much of the steve jobs one but its seems to have a lot more ''filler''.

Finished:

Stoner by John Edward Williams

Yep, it's every bit as good as everyone says it is. It's just a very well written book about a very ordinary man's life. I was apprehensive about starting this because it sounds so boring but it's just so insightful and beautifully written.

jacobs34

Finished:

Stoner by John Edward Williams

Yep, it's every bit as good as everyone says it is. It's just a very well written book about a very ordinary man's life. I was apprehensive about starting this because it sounds so boring but it's just so insightful and beautifully written.

This book crept up on me emotionally like few others I've read, the end had me teared up. Such a subtle, but powerful masterpiece.

ShaneB

Finished up Empire Falls. Liked it, and think it'll go for a 3/5. Will share more when I write more for my goodreads update.

Edit.. Think I'll watch the miniseries finally too.

The "lost classic" hype is huge on this one, but it delivered. Devastating book.

A lot of people describe it as being depressing, and yes, it was not happy in most parts, but I thought it had a happy ending. The only thing I would have liked is if
Lomax or Walker got some come-uppance, but since they didn't, it's true to life in that sometimes, you just roll some crappy dice.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Guys, I got up to like chapter 4 of Walden and just had to stop. I don't know exactly what I was looking for here. There were some sections of such brilliance, beauty, and insight that they struck me. There were tons of bits where he'd seem to ramble on and on about inane bullshit.

I feel lesser for having quit, especially since some parts were so very powerful. I don't know where or why the fatal disconnect occurred but I couldn't struggle through any longer :-/

TripOpt55

I started up A Shadow of All Night Falling by Glen Cook this week. Read about a third of it. Seems alright so far, but not doing a ton for me.

Bazza

Finished Conn Iggulden's Emperor, Conqurer and first book of the War of the Roses series (Stormbird). I think the biggest shock from reading the books is how little humans advanced or even regressed in 1400 years, if you didn't know the actual time lines you might put the Conqurer books first, WotR then the Emperor books next. Even then you couldn't be sure as it seems Mongolian's had better medical options through the Muslim and Chinese conquests than Europeans in the 1400's.

After reading Stormbird it makes you realise how true the authors comments may have been in one of the Conqurer books about how the Mongol's would have sweeped over Europe if Ogedei hadn't had died.

After a bunch of "based on historical fact" books I need a genre switch again I think, back to fantasy perhaps.

Cade

Man, Hearthstone has ruined my reading productivity. I'm still not done with Steelheart but man, has it picked up (about 76% done). I thought I pretty much knew how the rest of the book was gonna play out, but Sanderson threw in some twists.

Finished Nothing to Envy. Tough read/listen, but very interesting and insightful.

Started listening to this

Kaiju Rising: Age of Monsters by Tim Marquitz

About halfway in now and there's been a couple of good stories with interesting angles, but overall the collection is very uninspired. It feels like a lot of the authors are just phoning it in to get a paycheck, I assume.

"Giant monster, check-
monster is mindless and attacks, check-
giant robot called in to engage said giant monster, check-"

Will keep at it, hopefully they saved the best for last.

fuzzyset

Been doing some decent reading this summer (finished the first two Stormlight Archives in May/June):

Finished (which was amazing)

Flash-boys-jkt_1.jpg

Slowly making my way through

170px-HeirToTheEmpire.jpg

only slowly because I'm getting really into my Marvel Unlimited sub. Spend most my time reading comics.

51QVZWXV3BL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm still in the A section. The Encyclopedia Britannica has 44 million words. That's reading the Wheel of Time 10 times over. That's a lot.

ShaneB

Watched the Empire Falls HBO miniseries last night, so I guess I must’ve liked the book enough to even do that, and it was good, but still no change on the 3.5/5 from my goodreads review. One moment definitely hit like a tonne of bricks though with one line of dialogue that no doubt will stick with me, but just some ups and downs throughout.

Onto something no doubt a much more fun read, and something I’m trying to get into more of with my first foray into Fantasy Football this season… fun first chapter, can feel like this will be a fun summer read.

Now Reading..
Fantasy Life: The Outrageous, Uplifting, and Heartbreaking World of Fantasy Sports from the Guy Who's Lived It by Matthew Berry
16087842.jpg

I am backed up by months-worth of reading and not posting in these threads, so I'm going to work my way through slowly. First, is a 'failure to launch':

76527.jpg

Although, my version is annotated, it's not annotated nearly enough. 19th century English is bad enough, but this is 18th century English. It's just not something I want to wade into, and keep in mind that I loves me some Dickens, Trollope, etc. This is a fore barer of theirs, and it's often referred to as the 'first postmodern' novel, which is really just saying that Sterne was waaaay before his time in terms of unconventional structure, etc.

It's also on the shortlist of 'novels that can't be filmed', which is one reason I LOVE the Steve Coogan and Gillian Anderson version from a few years back. The movie details an ambitious film production of the novel that of course breaks down and the second half of the movie is about how you can't make a movie of the novel. Well worth your time if you're into Steve Coogan.

Does anybody know of a good guide with which I can make another run at it?

Zona

I'm currently reading The Dragon Reborn. It's fun. Egwene is a twit.

I like her more as the series goes on, but I've heard people have the opposite reaction as well.

Currently reading,

My reaction is to think to myself "oh god I'm part of the problem just because of how I follow politics".

Dresden

Haven't been reading much, still (slowly) going through Forge of Christendom by Tom Holland. Wonkier than some of his better works, like Rubicon. It feels like the facts take a backseat to the narrative he's building, at times, and the way he places a particular importance on one single year rather than an era as a whole was a mistake.

Has this article been linked here? I haven't even read The Goldfinch yet, but the article is interesting.

I read it a few days ago and didn't like it very much - it's somewhat of a misrepresentation of a worthwhile review, and the rest basically just boils down to some critics liking it and some not, like many other such novels.

The James Wood piece is very much worth reading, though, and not just because I agree with it for the most part. And because the New Yorker has made their archives public over the summer, everyone can read it freely online.

ZQQLANDER

Gaf tell me its not irrational that I want to buy all my books rather than get them out of the library.

I like free things, but there is something to be said about a full bookshelf in my apartment.

Piecake

Gaf tell me its not irrational that I want to buy all my books rather than get them out of the library.

I like free things, but there is something to be said about a full bookshelf in my apartment.

Well, you gotta ask yourself why you like a full bookshelf. Do you feel smart and sophisticated when you look at it? Do you like to keep it stocked to impress people who glance at it? Now, ask yourself if it is more important to feel smarter and more sophisticated and impress lady friends than it is to actually be smarter by going to the library and saving a shit ton of money.

ZQQLANDER

Well, you gotta ask yourself why you like a full bookshelf. Do you feel smart and sophisticated when you look at it? Do you like to keep it stocked to impress people who glance at it? Now, ask yourself if it is more important to feel smarter and more sophisticated and impress lady friends than it is to actually be smarter by going to the library and saving a shit ton of money.

Lol, I don't think I would impress many lady friends with the nerd-shelf that I have going. I guess its more of a physical reminder that translates to "hey, I read that on such and such date last year" and "it was really good or really bad or whatever."

Edit: I mean they aren't really expensive books, but hey, $8 can still add up.

Pau

Lol, I don't think I would impress many lady friends with the nerd-shelf that I have going. I guess its more of a physical reminder that translates to "hey, I read that on such and such date last year" and "it was really good or really bad or whatever."

Edit: I mean they aren't really expensive books, but hey, $8 can still add up.
Don't worry, I'm the same. (And I'm certainly not trying to impress any lady friends. :p) I like having my own library and lending out books to friends and rereading them. As long as I'm able to afford it, I'll keep purchasing novels. Sure, I could save money by borrowing from a library, but we all have our vices. *shrugs*

Just finished Le Ly Hayslip's When Heaven and Earth Changed Places. Good memoir.

Starting on Ursula K. Le Guin's Lavinia.

Mumei

Don't worry, I'm the same. (And I'm certainly not trying to impress any lady friends. :p) I like having my own library and lending out books to friends and rereading them. As long as I'm able to afford it, I'll keep purchasing novels. Sure, I could save money by borrowing from a library, but we all have our vices. *shrugs*

By "lending" do you mean "forcibly giving it to them so they have no choice but to read it"?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Mumei, are you that guy who buys people books for birthday/holidays and then checks in on their reading progress every few weeks?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Does he have to write book reports?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Well into Dracula again. It's one of those books I come back to every few years. After this I'm considering Meditations by Marcus Aurelius or Dharma Bums.

Nymerio

Wanted to start something else but didn't know what :(

Does anyone have any recommendations in the mystery/whodunit genre? I have read 'And Then There Were None', but I'm not looking for more Christie at the moment. I'd like to read something more recent if possible.

Bazza

Decided to read the Black Company books after seeing them mentioned a few times in these threads. Picked up the Chronicles of the Black Company which includes books 1 to 3, Think im nearly finished with the 1st book, Really enjoying it so far.

Cade

Started and got 50% done with Wayward Pines last night. Pretty interesting, though it feels like a really long Twilight Zone episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom