• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneB

Wanted to start something else but didn't know what :(

Does anyone have any recommendations in the mystery/whodunit genre? I have read 'And Then There Were None', but I'm not looking for more Christie at the moment. I'd like to read something more recent if possible.

I'll recommend something I read earlier this year and really loved. Ordinary Grace, I thought it was fantastic.

Jintor

i swear to god you can't search anything on the kindle store without running into a few dozen pages of cheap erotica/romance

Pickman

I'm back to Revelation Space after finishing off To Hell or Barbados. I forgot that this series can be a bit taxing on the mind. Alastair Reynolds knows his wordcraft, but he can really make your head hurt trying to fathom what he's put down on paper.

Paganmoon

I'm back to Revelation Space after finishing off To Hell or Barbados. I forgot that this series can be a bit taxing on the mind. Alastair Reynolds knows his wordcraft, but he can really make your head hurt trying to fathom what he's put down on paper.

Only thing that really made my head hurt about Revelation Space, was how horrible flat the characters were. I'd recommend The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi. mindbending world with vivid and living characters.

But I did hear Reynolds rectified the "character problem" with subsequent books.

TripOpt55

I finished A Shadow of All Night Falling. It was solid, but I didn't enjoy it as much as any of The Black Company books. I will still head back for more of the series eventually (I got the Omnibus with the first three). Now I'm reading Before They Are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie. I just started it so not very far yet.

The James Wood piece is very much worth reading, though, and not just because I agree with it for the most part. And because the New Yorker has made their archives public over the summer, everyone can read it freely online.

The best thing about Wood's piece is when he says (and I'm paraphrasing here) 'The Goldfinch is successful because adults now read Harry Potter.'

Perhaps I found that so funny because as I was reading Goldfinch, I was thinking, 'This is like Harry Potter if Harry weren't a wizard and did a mountain of drugs.' And I have to say, come to think of it, that the whole drug abuse angle of Goldfinch was totally stupid, particularly because it's ridiculously pervasive and nobody suffers any real consequences for it.

Started and got 50% done with Wayward Pines last night. Pretty interesting, though it feels like a really long Twilight Zone episode.

I finished the third and final book a couple of days ago. That's a pretty apt comparison. Maybe a bit of Twin Peaks tossed in there.

Shengar

The Mistborn series is definitely a shounen story in novel form. Not that a bad thing though if I just have to look it as an entertainment piece.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
The Mistborn series is definitely a shounen story in novel form. Not that a bad thing though if I just have to look it as an entertainment piece.

Funny you say that, I just published an article by Django Wexler, author of The Thousand Names, which often pops up in these threads, comparing shounen anime/manga with the traditional epic fantasy heroes journey.

Django Wexler said:
These two sub-genres have a great deal in common. They tell, in essence, similar stories: the tale of the rise of a hero and his (almost always his, which we’ll touch on later) growth in power and confidence. This growth is a critical component of the story arc; other genres may feature protagonists who get more powerful as the series goes along, but in this style of epic fantasy that journey is essentially the point of the series. (Note that this means The Lord of the Rings doesn’t qualify! Frodo grows as a character, but he’s still a hobbit; compare that to the arcs followed by Rand al’Thor or Harry Potter over the course of their series.)

The critical difference between the epic fantasy and the anime approach, however, has to do with the main character’s motivation. Epic fantasy protagonists almost always have their destiny imposed on them from the outside; left to themselves, they either would not want to be part of great events or are unaware that such things are even possible. (Rand and Harry, respectively.) The reason that the Beloved Peasant Village (and its subsequent destruction by the Forces of Evil) is a well-worn trope is that the epic fantasy protagonist needs a kick to get him moving on the greater things. Joseph Campbell’s Hero’s Journey often describes this kind of story very well.

Shounen anime protagonists, on the other hand, tend to be self-motivated. If they start out in a peasant village, they’re almost always planning to escape from the confines of a provincial life and embark on an adventure. They have something they want — power, revenge, knowledge, riches — and it is this unstoppable drive that makes them the hero. While a large part of the arc is the same, this difference makes the ultimate story very different.

It's called "With Fist and Sword: Epic Fantasy and Shounen Anime Heroes". Django did a wonderful job.

JaseMath

1963638.jpg

Don't laugh at me guys.

So I read this several years ago:

51jhDIK8hOL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

If you're a fan of David Foster Wallace's fiction, or you'd like to get a taste of something Wallace-like but also of digestible length, this is the novel for you. Just great stuff. Easily in my top 10 of forever, if not top 5. It's that good, and it got the reviews to match.

So this is Currie's follow-up:

518XerEJlTL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

It's about an author named Ron Currie, Jr. whose previous novel was well-reviewed and modestly read, whose father recently died, and who is hopelessly obsessed with a woman he can't have, etc. Oh, and the Singularity. Truth be told, about halfway through this I was convinced he's pulled it off again, but the book tailed off for me in the last 1/3. Glad I read it, but it's no Everything Matters!

Ceebs

I agree with you on all points! As a bookish, history-loving type this series was right up my alley. It's not your typical supernatural romance.

As for the antagonists..
The third book was kinda jarring when the focus turned from just "get the book and convince everyone to leave us alone" to "stop the psychopathic killer who has been behind the scenes this entire time." Although I guess it was kinda foreshadowed from the get-go that something crazy was going on with the way Diana's parents were killed and the murders in the beginning of book one. It just seemed like a rapid shift. Also, unrelated, but Diana getting a magical tattoo every time she did something amazing was a bit much. /shrug

I thought the death of her parents was actually explained in the first book towards the end as just being the work of Knox trying to get information from them. I had not read the 2nd book since it first came out, so I honestly had no idea who Benjamin was at first. That was my big peeve with it. they had set Knox up as the main villain through the series, then he is absent from the final book until the very end.

Currently doing the audiobook of this while driving and flying around to job interviews:
Golem-the-Jinni.jpg

and I picked up this after seeing it in the thread:

51U6hHGpxdL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

zsswimmer

I'm like 75 pages from finishing The Lord of the Rings. I'm gonna be really sad when it's done :(

But on the bright side that means I will get to read The Hobbit :D

obin_gam

Well into Dracula again.

I'm about two thirds in now, they have just taken care of vampire-Lucy and I'm getting more and more pissed off at all the Dracula movies. Like, all the movies would have you believe
the romance plot is a big deal in the story, but it is nowhere to be found in the book! That aspect kept me from reading the book all these years, and it turns out it's just made up by hollywood.
Also, why the hell did Francis Ford Coppola add "Bram Stoker's" to the title of his movie, when the bulk of the plot in that one is just bullshit?

I just finished the third Magicians book, the Magician's Land by Lev Grossman. It's not out till August 5th but I found an early copy. Good stuff and very satisfying. If anyone is a superfan and needs to read it early, I'm actually selling my copy.

I'm reading a book of short stories by Kawabata Yasunari.
What are his best novels? I don't think I totally get him but I'd like to read more of him.

Dresden

Didn't know that there was a new Haruki Murakami coming later this year. Never finished his last book - it was a chore - but this one sounds more promising, something smaller and more contained. I guess I want another After Dark rather than a Wind Up Bird.

The best thing about Wood's piece is when he says (and I'm paraphrasing here) 'The Goldfinch is successful because adults now read Harry Potter.'

Perhaps I found that so funny because as I was reading Goldfinch, I was thinking, 'This is like Harry Potter if Harry weren't a wizard and did a mountain of drugs.' And I have to say, come to think of it, that the whole drug abuse angle of Goldfinch was totally stupid, particularly because it's ridiculously pervasive and nobody suffers any real consequences for it.

The Harry Potter mention comes from his comments in the Vanity Fair piece, right? Don't remember it in the actual review, although the tone of it still remains, especially in the opening paragraph.

The review itself is pretty valuable in that it's one of the few cognizant of what Tartt did well, and why the novel failed. He praises her capacity for 'magical misdrection' (and as backhanded as the comparison to Nesbitt seems, it's addressed in really glowing terms) and the pleasure it brings, but recognizes, correctly, that underneath the sleight-of-hand is a bounty not quite worthy of the unveiling. He also points out the pleasure of the middle passages, which I liked, comically rampant drug use and Hagrid and all. Besides, we all know that rich white children really can't be held to account for doing trivial, boys-being-boys things like shoplifting and smoking crack.

I like his suggestion that perhaps there could be a more focused, straightforward novel to focus on its better qualities -

I kept on trying to imagine a different novel, stripped of its unreasonable raison d’être and its childish sweets, a more rigorous fiction entitled, perhaps, not “The Goldfinch” but just “Theo Decker.” A novel with no stolen painting, no inexplicable theft and unlikely explosion, no shoot-outs, no sudden deaths and fatal abandonments, and fewer Dickensian or Nesbittian shops. Instead, there might have been the affecting story of, say, a thirteen-year-old boy, the victim of divorce, sent West from New York to the alien aridity of Las Vegas, forced to live with his unsuitable father. It was hard to imagine as the pages went by, but not impossible, because Las Vegas provokes the best sustained writing in this novel. When Theo’s father watches football on television, and the afternoon light begins to thin, and Tartt tenderly and evocatively paints this slight desolation of Sunday afternoons in the desert, does she have any idea of the very different writer she might still choose to become?

And it ends with a big quote-lump, as Wood is wont to do.

I have done a massive Discworld Binge. I've gone through Mort, The Colour of Magic, Going Postal, and Making Money. I am now holding the City Watch Trilogy, bound up in one big volume. I believe this is just some edition the books were sold in, and not a Frankenstein's monster crafted by my library.

I'd read colour of magic once before and struggled to make it through. The "anthology of shorts" structure wound up losing my interest, though I still made it to the end. I coasted off the enthusiasm from Mort to refresh my memory of it.I still intend to read the other Rincewind books eventually. The Light Fantastic was just checked out already.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I'm about two thirds in now, they have just taken care of vampire-Lucy and I'm getting more and more pissed off at all the Dracula movies. Like, all the movies would have you believe
the romance plot is a big deal in the story, but it is nowhere to be found in the book! That aspect kept me from reading the book all these years, and it turns out it's just made up by hollywood.
Also, why the hell did Francis Ford Coppola add "Bram Stoker's" to the title of his movie, when the bulk of the plot in that one is just bullshit?

Ahhh, my friend, you've hit the crux of why there's yet to be a really great Dracula. Now, I repect Lugosi's Dr. Acula for what it was, given the time and the culture but, man, I'd love to see a straight adaption.

I think that Coppola's take was pretty close. Van Helsing is one of my FAVORITE literary characters, right up there with Milton's Lucifer. He's very comforting to me, and who doesn't love Anthony Hopkins? Not to mention Gary Oldman! But, yeah, all that romance mumbo jumbo is bullshit.

Certainly in the book, as with any good Vampire story, there's a sexual aspect due to the nature of the beast, but the movie lacks all subtlety.

thomaser

Finished Oscar Wilde's complete plays. Variable quality, but on the whole better than his prose works. The Importance of Being Ernest is rightfully a classic.

9780141185132.jpg

Next, The Plague by Albert Camus.

Krowley

Yep. I feel the same way about the Coppola movie. It's not really faithful at all, certainly not in terms of tone. Most people who haven't read it don't realize that Dracula is much more in the "Vampires are Monsters" category than the "Vampires are tragic romantics" category.

In many respects, the most faithful film adaption is probably Murnau's silent Nosferatu. Murnau went a little over the top with the vampire's appearance--I think the makeup for Max Schreck is awesome, and I wouldn't change it for anything, but "Count Orlok" doesn't really look like Dracula in the books, not even the scenes where he's supposed to be decrepit looking. Despite that discrepancy and a few plot differences, I think Nosferatu captures the sense of Dracula being a monster better than any other movie, and for that reason it is definitely my favorite adaptation.

I also love some of the Terrence Fischer directed movies with Christopher Lee (primary Horror of Dracula, and Dracula: Prince of Darkness.) They aren't especially faithful story-wise, but they certainly play more for scares than on romance and are extremely well made. Lee's Dracula is a ruthless character, basically evil incarnate, who pretends to be somewhat human when it suits his purposes.

Cade

I finished the third and final book a couple of days ago. That's a pretty apt comparison. Maybe a bit of Twin Peaks tossed in there.

Yeah, dude seems to love Twin Peaks judging by the afterword. I finished book 1 and immediately bought the second one so I guess it has me hooked, and I'm reading that now.

Also, tried reading Steelheart but I couldn't get past 'sparks.' Oh, Mr. Sanderson. :(

Yup, I spoke a tiny bit on that earlier in the thread but goddamn. Sparks and slontze both took me out of it a little each time I read them. Good book in the end though.

I honestly think he just doesn't understand how swear words are supposed to work (this also contributed to Mat's voice feeling off in the final WoT books). I blame his upbringing...

What was his upbringing? Also yeah, sparks/Calamity/slontze don't really seem to have equivalents.

fakefaker

Finished up Thieftaker by D.B. Jackson today it was good. Not great, took 200 pages to start getting interesting, but it gets better. Onto collecting stamps with The Post-Office Girl by Stefan Zweig.

2376087.jpg

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Joe Abercrombie started a YA series? :|

We're going to revert into puddles of goop.

Yeah, dude seems to love Twin Peaks judging by the afterword. I finished book 1 and immediately bought the second one so I guess it has me hooked, and I'm reading that now.

What was his upbringing? Also yeah, sparks/Calamity/slontze don't really seem to have equivalents.

The third book of the series was the quickest read of them all, and it's definitely worth finishing. You aren't reading high literature here, but it's a fun story.

Sanderson is Mormon, which explains his aversion to swear words.

Joe Abercrombie started a YA series? :|

We're going to revert into puddles of goop.

The wild part is a veritable who's who of fantasy writers are falling over themselves to sing praise for Half a King. I haven't read any of his stuff yet, but this is on my list. He's got to cash in on all that money. A hit YA series is like printing cash at this point.

Cade

The third book of the series was the quickest read of them all, and it's definitely worth finishing. You aren't reading high literature here, but it's a fun story.

Sanderson is Mormon, which explains his aversion to swear words.

Will probably read part 3 immediately after part 1. I'm glad to hear it keeps being good as I wasn't sure if it'd run out of steam after the end of the first book.

Ah, gotcha.

Shengar

China Mieville already try to jumped on the YA ship since 2007 with Un Lundun, and most recently with Railsea. But both of them still retain the madcap signature that Mieville's work have so I for there isn't a problem for a writer to jumped into YA if they still retain their style. Though in Abercrombie's case, I don't think there would be any significant from him if he where about to write a YA book.

naib

Finished up Thieftaker by D.B. Jackson today it was good. Not great, took 200 pages to start getting interesting, but it gets better. Onto collecting stamps with The Post-Office Girl by Stefan Zweig.

2376087.jpg
This is my poolside book right now:
yzoaAsV.jpg

Will definitely check out more of this dude's work. Digging it so far.

Also reading these two idiot guides:
7laoHz8.jpg
XB5fuAc.jpg

The latter I don't really need to digest until after a year or so, apparently. Both are fascinating though.

Krowley

Recently finished:

6UqtVE2.jpg

Land of Laughs by Jonathan Carroll
This is my first Jonathan Carrol book. It's very, very surreal, almost like a cross between Murakami and Neil Gaiman. I hated the main character. He's a full on weasel shitbag from the very first page, and he almost made it impossible for me to enjoy the book, but somehow it all came together anyway. The story wasn't exactly unique--I sort of saw everything coming. But the execution was excellent, and some of the details are wonderfully strange, especially towards the end. Bottom line: it's a good book, and if you like really weird fantasy you should try to read it.

TB1OPcf.jpg

Eternal Sky Book 1 - Range of Ghosts by Elizabeth Bear
I discussed this book in an earlier post, and I was really enjoying it at that point. For the most part, it held up. My one complaint: the pacing is almost too fast. I feel like she could have taken a little more time fleshing things out. The world and characters are interesting enough to support a massive WOT/ASOIAF-sized tome easily, and it probably would have benefited from that kind of expanded scope, but that's about the only thing I can say against it. I liked it well enough that I've already started on the second book.

phFYGMr.jpg

Gabriel Alon book 3 - The Confessor by Daniel Silva
The opening to this was very slow and almost ruined it. Things pick up in the second half, and the ending was decent, but this is by far the weakest Gabriel Alon book I've read so far. I like the character and enjoy Silva's writing style so I'll probably continue reading these, but for other people interested in this series, this book is probably skippable.

3VLfhD4.jpg

The Strain Book 1 - The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan
I thought the first episode of the TV show was pretty cool and decided to try out the book. It was a very light and quick read, ridiculous at times, occasionally scary, very pulpy, always fun. There is almost too much action. The show so far is actually better than this book in a lot of ways--it sort of reminds me of what this book might've been if they did another draft, fixing some of the problems. I probably won't grab the next book in the series anytime soon, but I may read it eventually when the story in the TV show moves further along.

ZHVI4IA.jpg

Straw Men Book 2 - The Upright Man by Michael Marshall Smith (writing as Michael Marshall)
This was a huge step down from the first book in the series and takes some hilariously bizarre turns. The writer has an amazing prose style and there were some great scenes, but the story totally falls apart. I'm not sure if I'll finish the Straw Man series or not--right now I'm leaning towards giving up on it--but I like the guy's writing voice well enough that I'm very interested in his other work, particularly a science fiction book called Only Forward, which is supposed to be great.

H0K1Gd8.jpg

Malazan Book 2 - Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson
I gave up on this a few hundred pages in and I am now officially DONE with this series... probably.... There are things I like here and there, but the story is so dry, and the characters are so flat... Erikson mentions that Frank Herbert's Dune books were an influence for the Malazan series, and I definitely see the resemblance. Unfortunately, I couldn't finish Dune either, for many the same reasons. This series has some good points, and I can't say that it's actually crap (although the first book is borderline), but there is something clinical about the writing style, a lack of emotional juice, that just kills it for me.

Bazza

Finished 'Shadows Linger' last night, really enjoying the series so far. Cant wait to get started on book 3 at lunchtime today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom