• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two things:

A) Please tell me you were specifically going there and looking for a book written by him.

B) Please tell me this is actually THE Mr. Balki Bartokomos.

a) Nope, just clicking around on different books. That one is actually written by Betty Medsger but narrated by Bronson Pinchot. It looks like he has narrated around 140 books.

b) I think it is. I listened to an audio sample and I cant definitively say one way or another though. I checked wikipedia and it doesnt reference the fact that he narrates audiobooks now. BUT I did learn he only lives about an hour and a half away from me! :b

RustyCassette

Neo Member
I've been reading every Tom Holt book I can get my hands on.

I tried reading them when I was younger but I couldn't get my head around his long descriptions, but now I just love them. I've never been into fantasy, really, but his books are just the right balance of humour, fantasy and satire. I enjoy finding the references to other characters from other books where you might not expect them too. They are just thoroughly enjoyable.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I finished William Boyd's new Bond novel on vacation. Better than Sebastain Faulks's, not as good as Jeffrey Deaver's. Now reading I Pity The Poor Immigrant by Zachary Lazar and The Sleepwalkers by Christopher Caldwell.

Still listening to The Goldfinch. Also listening to The Trigger by Tim Butcher. Both enjoyable.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Finished One Summer: America 1927 and need a new audiobook to listen to. Anynoe have historical non-fiction recommendations?

Well I read it and didn't listen to the audiobook, but Nixonland by Rick Perlstein is 36 hours long according to Audible. That's a lot of bang for the buck.

Completed reading my first ever graphic novel:
Blind-Ferret-First-Law-Blade-Itself-1-front-cover.jpg

I thought it was "ok." I love Abercrombie's stuff, and seeing some of the characters visually was pretty cool, but I'm not a huge fan of the medium. I prefer the words. Imagine that. :)

Now moving on to complete the Silo series with:
17855756.jpg

Mumei

Interesting. I'll have to check that out since I enjoyed Coates article when he dealt with real estate issues.

I am currently reading The New Jim Crow. And holy crap, I knew our criminal justice system was fucked up and made no sense, but my god, I did not know it was this bad and that it began as a deliberate action of social control by racists and segregationists (debatable if it is now - institutional inertia and all that - I mean the deliberate part sicne it is cleary racist). My eyes honestly started to water a bit because it was just so depressing.

I had the same reaction. I first learned about The New Jim Crow because of a post on a blog, and I even made a topic about it once I'd finished the book. It's what made me realize just how clueless I was about those issues and got me interested in reading about racism more broadly.

Paganmoon

Completed reading my first ever graphic novel:
Blind-Ferret-First-Law-Blade-Itself-1-front-cover.jpg

I thought it was "ok." I love Abercrombie's stuff, and seeing some of the characters visually was pretty cool, but I'm not a huge fan of the medium. I prefer the words. Imagine that. :)

Did they actually release the whole first book now? iirc, they stopped somewhere midway/early on, in the webcomic, cause it didn't gain enough traction.

Did they actually release the whole first book now? iirc, they stopped somewhere midway/early on, in the webcomic, cause it didn't gain enough traction.
I don't think so. I can't find anything in an admittedly quick Google search. I was lukewarm on volume 1, so unlikely to pursue others anyway.

Piecake

I had the same reaction. I first learned about The New Jim Crow because of a post on a blog, and I even made a topic about it once I'd finished the book. It's what made me realize just how clueless I was about those issues and got me interested in reading about racism more broadly.

This is quite similar to the way the government handles standing in warrantless wiretap cases, with this shell game that requires someone to prove that they were the target of illegal surveillance before they have standing to sue over it — but they aren’t going to tell you that, so you can’t prove it. In this case, the court demands that the defendants prove the very thing they are requesting data to help them prove. Heads the government wins, tails you lose. Actually, we all lose. Our criminal justice system is broken from top to bottom.

I thought this was absolutely insane. The supreme court simply made it impossible to sue on the basis of racism under the 4th and 14th amendment unless the person can prove that someone was consciously racist against them. That is pretty much impossible to prove unless that person is stupid enough to use hate speech, and the victim cannot prove institutional racism because he has no standing to get the evidence! These rulings all happened under Rehnquist it seems, but I definitely do not think it is changing under Roberts thanks to his belief in color blindness as evidenced by his views on affirmative action.

I also did not realize the depth of the trap that ex-convicts were put in after they were released. I mean, I knew it was basically impossible for them to find a job and they can't vote, can't get public housing, food stamps, and other programs, but I did not realize all of the fees that ex-convicts get saddled with.

I mean, a person who pleads guilty to possession of crack get's 5-10 years in jail. If he has a kid that child support continues to accumulate while he is in jail. Moreover, he is charged, processing fees, probation fees, all of these various fees that could put him thousands of dollars in debt, not including the child support fees. Well, let say this dude miraculously finds a job. It is highly unlikely he is finding a job significantly higher than minimum wage. The problem is that by law the state can take away 60% of his paycheck for child support and 40% for criminal justice fees. If he fails to pay those fees his punishment could mean that his license would be revoked, which causes him to lose his job, and then probably means that he is sent back to jail because not being unemployed could be a violation of his parole!

I thought her segment on black culture was especially interesting since she links the rise of gangster rap to the drug war, and how embracing an maligned identity is a common human reaction. The problem with this identity is that it is obviously a negative one. This does not mean that there is no shame involved about prison or that prison is glorified. This is simply done because there is really no escaping the system when the police and criminal justice system are targeting to you and you basically have a 3 in 4 chance of becoming a part of that system. How else would you cope, but to pretend to embrace it? She basically calls out Obama and Cosby for blaming black men for being moral failures since they clearly do not properly understand the situation and are just looking for easy answers, and in this case harmful ones.

I have about 4 hours more to go, but man, I did not realize the depths of its cruelness, racism, and utter stupidity.

Regiruler

If you had trouble with book 9, book 10 will be really tough (hint: use online chapter summaries to skip the boring parts).

After that it's smooth sailing. Book 11, Jordan's last book, is one of the better books in the series, and all Sanderson's books are excellent as well.

Basically, from the first few pages of book 11 the series kicks into a different gear, and stays there until the end. If you liked the early books (and you must have liked them at least a little to make it this far) then you'll enjoy every book from 11 onward.

But you'll probably really hate 10. Worst book of the series, easily.

I have no idea what Jordan was thinking with the ending for ten. It just kinda... stops.
New Spring (the prequel) is really good though. I recommend reading it after 10 myself, just like publishing order.

thomaser

Finished Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman. Highly recommended if you like Levitt/Dubner, Malcolm Gladwell and so on and want something a little more challenging.

books

I have this complete edition of Oscar Wilde's works, and read all his stories last year. Now, I'm continuing with his plays. The Importance of Being Earnest is first up. Have to admit I was a little disappointed with his stories. Maybe he's better as a playwright?

Time reborn by Lee Smodin, i liked the trouble with physics so i decided to give it a try and just finished the strain trilogy, i wish i hadn´t read the last one

I'm debating whether I should skip Shift and read this. I heard Shift wasn't as good? Since Dust is more of a sequel to Wool, that should be okay, right?
Shift was basically a step back, no doubt. I'm just starting Dust so I might not be the best judge of whether skipping Shift is a good idea.

Anyone who's read the series care to comment?

Finished up Empire Falls today. It was incredible. I really related to a lot of the characters in the town. Reconciling your expectations and the expectations others have of you with reality. As a recent college grad, I have been doing this a lot lately. Let's just say I am not working in the field I was expecting to when I graduated, nor am I making as much money as I was hoping to. This quote hit me pretty hard as the truth (for my life so far, anyways):

"When you're twenty-one, life is a roadmap. It's only when you get to be twenty-five or so that you begin to suspect you've been looking at the map upside down, and not until you're forty are you entirely sure. By the time you're sixty, take it from me, you're fucking lost."

Ah, to be twenty-one again... I don't think I've highlighted so many lines in any Kindle book yet. So many funny moments from all of the characters, my favorites being from Tick and Max.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
E8wu8pt.jpg

Love Calvino.
Now this I hear really plays with your expectations! I haven't read it but I've heard good things.

**Following paragraph contains potential concept spoilers you might not know about the story you've just started!**

Two books I've read that I
hear are similar in ways that they mess with your interactions with the actual story that I HAVE read and loved were "The King in Yellow" by Robert W. Chambers, and "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielwski .
That last one is probably the
best and creepiest haunted house story
I've ever read.

I'm debating whether I should skip Shift and read this. I heard Shift wasn't as good? Since Dust is more of a sequel to Wool, that should be okay, right?

Skipping Shift would definitely hinder your understanding of what the heck is going on in Dust. Basically, it explains the entire circumstance with the silos. There's no question that Shift is the weak link in the series, but I cannot recommend skipping over it.

An important book. Describes how time and time again the crime of genocide has occurred but it's very existence has been repeatedly denied not because there is not enough proof of the crime being committed but because people can't believe it. I'm not that far into the book because I have to put it down after every couple of sections because it's so disturbing. A great book if you want your overall view of humanity to go straight down the drain.
I would have read this series a long time ago but I accidentally read Belgarath the Sorcerer first which kind of spoils the whole series. It's been over a decade now so the details of that book are kinda fuzzy and I'm reading the books with a fairly clear head. I already have some major plot points spoiled though. Good read so far. Nothing groundbreaking but solid fantasy none the less.
On the last couple of chapters on this one. Interesting read. Another case study of when managers start believing they be creative too the whole thing usually goes to hell. Also Lorne Michaels is an ass.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

Huh? I agree that the first part pacing is slow, but after that book is superb and it even reaches Wool levels of awesomeness in some parts. You shouldn't really skip it at all.

ЯAW

Banned
Being big fan of W.G Sebald I'm grateful to find out about Coming Through Slaughter. I really love the photography in this book

FEPr05b.jpg

White Man

Just finished

51EfUOmTdBL.jpg

It's FUCKING BLEAK and for hardcore nihilists only. Nihilists' nihilists.

Next up is:

An anthology recommended to me a long time ago by EricP (if he still posts here). Beaumont was one of the big 3 OG Twilight Zone writers, along with Rod Sterling and Richard Matheson. Beaumont has always seemed to be the least well known to me. Sterling has Planet of the Apes and Night Gallery and Matheson was a master short story writer and has had his work adapted into film a bunch of times, but Beaumont has always been something of an enigma to me. I'd never have considered this book if it weren't recommended to me by a friend with taste.

TripOpt55

I just finished Soldiers Live the final Black Company book (unless he writes more) and I loved it. It really ends things on a satisfying note and wraps things up well. It was really fun seeing the outfit evolve over the series. Different characters' roles change. We saw them through different eyes throughout. Great battles and interesting sorcery. It was a bit sad finishing it too since I will really miss it. Certainly some of the entries were better than others, but I enjoyed the whole thing.

I will have to find a new fantasy series to dig into. This and a Song of Ice and Fire have been my favorites. If anyone has a suggestion for another multiple book series to jump into like these, I'd love that. I will certainly be consulting some lists and what have you to see what I might get into next, but any help would be nice. It was these threads a year or so ago that suggested The Black Company so I have some of you guys to thank for that suggestion as well.

I just finished Soldiers Live the final Black Company book (unless he writes more) and I loved it. It really ends things on a satisfying note and wraps things up well. It was really fun seeing the outfit evolve over the series. Different characters' roles change. We saw them through different eyes throughout. Great battles and interesting sorcery. It was a bit sad finishing it too since I will really miss it. Certainly some of the entries were better than others, but I enjoyed the whole thing.

I will have to find a new fantasy series to dig into. This and a Song of Ice and Fire have been my favorites. If anyone has a suggestion for another multiple book series to jump into like these, I'd love that. I will certainly be consulting some lists and what have you to see what I might get into next, but any help would be nice. It was these threads a year or so ago that suggested The Black Company so I have some of you guys to thank for that suggestion as well.

Yeah the Black Company was awesome. As far as suggestions go, if you haven't started The Stormlight Archive yet, drop what your doing and start it. The First Law and Mistborn trilogies are good as well but don't compare to Stormlight imo. Also good - Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn; and The Dagger and the Coin

ShaneB

Finished up Empire Falls today. It was incredible. I really related to a lot of the characters in the town. Reconciling your expectations and the expectations others have of you with reality. As a recent college grad, I have been doing this a lot lately. Let's just say I am not working in the field I was expecting to when I graduated, nor am I making as much money as I was hoping to. This quote hit me pretty hard as the truth (for my life so far, anyways):

"When you're twenty-one, life is a roadmap. It's only when you get to be twenty-five or so that you begin to suspect you've been looking at the map upside down, and not until you're forty are you entirely sure. By the time you're sixty, take it from me, you're fucking lost."

Ah, to be twenty-one again... I don't think I've highlighted so many lines in any Kindle book yet. So many funny moments from all of the characters, my favorites being from Tick and Max.

You and Mak aren't making it any easier for me to keep holding off on reading this. Like I have said for a lot of books, I'll have to bump this up the queue.

Considering we seem to have similar taste in books, I'll be keeping an eye on what you read! You should read Rocket Boys if you haven't!

Finished reading the Shining and then watched the movie the day after. The book was so much better it almost hurt. I really believe it could benefit from a new remake. Missing out on everything involving the sex party and hedge animals really hurt it. A long movie that had several unnecessary parts that made it longer for no reason. The book was the same way but it was actually unsettling whereas the movie was just a hilarious bore.

Tom Cruise would be a fantastic Jack Torrance in a remake I think.

On to the next Jack Reacher book. Its my fourth. Anybody else read them?

Mannequin

Jonathan Davis

No idea who that is, never listened to audiobooks myself, but I hope you enjoy it.

The great thing about the Civil War is there is so much literature about almost every aspect, so if you find a particular event or battle you like, there'll be at least 10 books about it.

You and Mak aren't making it any easier for me to keep holding off on reading this. Like I have said for a lot of books, I'll have to bump this up the queue.

Considering we seem to have similar taste in books, I'll be keeping an eye on what you read! You should read Rocket Boys if you haven't!
Thanks for the recommendation! I added it to my Kindle list. It definitely sounds like my kind of book. It looks like there is a second book as well; did you read that?

I have Ordinary Grace and Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend on my list as well, which I've seen you recommend a few times. I love having a huge backlog of books read :)

Wiktor

Finished:
Promise+of+Blood.jpg

Loved it. It;s been a long time since I've enjoyed a fantasy novel this much. Great setting, wonderful magic sytem, insane action scenes and very symphatetic characters.
Liked it so much that I immiedietely started second volumne, which is something I very rarely do.

Fintan

What else have you read? The only thing I've read by him that sort of fell flat for me was Marcovaldo.

!

You should!

Try Invisible Cities by Calvino if you're looking something else of his to read. I read it recently and really enjoyed it. It's very short and unique. It's framed as a conversation between Kublai Khan and Marco Polo, with Polo describing, through a series of about 50 or so passages/prose poems, the strange (and possibly imaginary) cities that make up Kublai's empire. It's about cities in general and how they work and function, how people relate to them etc. Really fun and some of the descriptions of the cities are incredible.

Piecake

Try Invisible Cities by Calvino if you're looking something else of his to read. I read it recently and really enjoyed it. It's very short and unique. It's framed as a conversation between Kublai Khan and Marco Polo, with Polo describing, through a series of about 50 or so passages/prose poems, the strange (and possibly imaginary) cities that make up Kublai's empire. It's about cities in general and how they work and function, how people relate to them etc. Really fun and some of the descriptions of the cities are incredible.

I really didn't like that book when I first read it, but I am tempted to read it again because I recently became fascinated with city planning and how people use and interact with the city. If On a Winter's Night a Traveler is amazing though.

Nymerio

Finished:
Promise+of+Blood.jpg

Loved it. It;s been a long time since I've enjoyed a fantasy novel this much. Great setting, wonderful magic sytem, insane action scenes and very symphatetic characters.
Liked it so much that I immiedietely started second volumne, which is something I very rarely do.

Hm, I've read some mixed things about this book but after reading this I've put it on my to-read list.

Fey

Banned
After a dismal 2013 where I probably read less than 5 books, I'm hoping to redeem myself this year.
2ed0be19.gif

I just finished Columbine by Dave Cullen (which I've always found interesting, ever since doing a little study on it in high school) and Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (which I thought was wonderful and beautifully written/translated).

Right now I'm reading

51zWmD6wlJL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

... even though I really disliked the first book. And JKR's other awful book. And the later Harry Potter books ...
shutup.gif

TripOpt55

Yeah the Black Company was awesome. As far as suggestions go, if you haven't started The Stormlight Archive yet, drop what your doing and start it. The First Law and Mistborn trilogies are good as well but don't compare to Stormlight imo. Also good - Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn; and The Dagger and the Coin

Thanks for the suggestions. I was looking at the First Law trilogy, but I will add the first Stormlight book to the mix as well in my next order.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
IxMi83d.jpg

Started Child of a Hidden Sea by A.M. Dellamonica lst night. It's had a lot of great early reviews, and I've been enjoying it immensely. It's portal fantasy, with a total wish-fulfillment protagonist, but it's works where most similar novels fail.

Review by Amal El-Mothar on NPR

And it is fantastic: It's suggested that Erinth might be a near-drowned future version of Earth (our modern-day Earth is named Erstwhile by Erinthians), one made up entirely of island nations. There is no single land mass larger than Australia, and the subsequent politics are fascinating: There is a governing force known as the Fleet, an enormous number of ships made up partly of representatives from every island nation that sail, investigate and legislate together.

Magic trumps technology ("mummery," an excellent touch), and is name-based; you can work magic on people by "scribing" them, provided you know their full names. But scribing is subject to legislation as well, and requires special skill and components that further complicate matters of trade.

I also genuinely appreciated approaching a fantasy world through its natural history: its geology, geography and ecology. The attention paid to diving, sample-gathering and documentation was thorough and interesting; the writing that surrounds Sophie's voice often has the muscular precision that I associate with Elizabeth Bear's prose, and in parts I found myself reminded of some of Guy Gavriel Kay's work.

Review by Bibliotropic:

Child of a Hidden Sea takes so many tropes that herald a bad story, and turns them into something that’s golden and great and nothing but pure enjoyment to read.

[...]

The story is tight, the mystery well-done, the characters realistic and the relationships believable, the dialogue perfect, and the world is so wide and vast that I could probably read a 10-book series set within it and never once get bored. You’ll fall in love with the world and its people when you crack open this book and lose yourself, drowning in the prose, sinking beneath waves of intriguing story.

The pages are just flying by.

ShaneB

Thanks for the recommendation! I added it to my Kindle list. It definitely sounds like my kind of book. It looks like there is a second book as well; did you read that?

I have Ordinary Grace and Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend on my list as well, which I've seen you recommend a few times. I love having a huge backlog of books read :)

Yeah, there are 3 'Coalwood' books, and i liked them all. I loved every moment i was reading. 4 technically, but ignore 'we are not afraid'

Ordinary Grace is indeed great, and I sure have recommended Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend plenty of times =)

Mumei

Invisible Cities is one of my favorite books!

No idea who that is, never listened to audiobooks myself, but I hope you enjoy it.

The great thing about the Civil War is there is so much literature about almost every aspect, so if you find a particular event or battle you like, there'll be at least 10 books about it.

The first result on Google is the lead singer of Korn. That doesn't seem like the same guy but it would be great if it was. If Bronson Pinchot is doing audio books, why not.

Mannequin

The first result on Google is the lead singer of Korn. That doesn't seem like the same guy but it would be great if it was. If Bronson Pinchot is doing audio books, why not.

Heh, I googled the name and saw that too, thought it was weird that a nu-metal singer might start doing audiobooks, but yeah, not the same guy.

dan2026

153025.jpg

Just finished Heart Shped Box by Joe Hill.
Great horror story, Hill is a great writer.

Only read his comic work before this (which is also excellent) but his prose is equally good.

suzu

Finished Cibola Burn. Better than the previous book. :)

Started Prince of Fools, by Mark Lawrence. The protagonist is more likeable than Jorg, so far. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom