• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
153025.jpg

Just finished Heart Shped Box by Joe Hill.
Great horror story, Hill is a great writer.

Only read his comic work before this (which is also excellent) but his prose is equally good.

This was my first book of his, as well. He's really something special, just like his ol' man. I just finished up N0s4a2, and I highly recommend it!

The-road.jpg

Picked this up and read it this afternoon. A bit disappointed, really, compared to the Border trilogy. Felt like an exercise in tone and a single dramatic setup that got stretched out to novel length (barely, 14 pt on 1.5 spacing?) but didn't have the depth to really work. Starting on Blood Meridian next.

200px-CormacMcCarthy_BloodMeridian.jpg

Finished Norwegian Wood last night, also. Very much enjoyed it, looking forward to Wind-up Bird Chronicles for the next Murakami.

Bazza

Read the 1st two books of the Emperor series by Conn Iggulden, Really enjoyable reads so far and the 3rd book I think has started off better than the 1st two.

Mannequin

The-road.jpg

Picked this up and read it this afternoon. A bit disappointed, really, compared to the Border trilogy. Felt like an exercise in tone and a single dramatic setup that got stretched out to novel length (barely, 14 pt on 1.5 spacing?) but didn't have the depth to really work. Starting on Blood Meridian next.

200px-CormacMcCarthy_BloodMeridian.jpg

I was disappointed by The Road as well, but Blood Meridian is so good. Enjoy.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I dunno. I really, really loved The Road. It's the only thing of his I've read so if it's his worst maybe I should check out some others!

Ceebs

So I was picking up my Kindle today and saw this ad:

artful-peter-david2vkwt.jpg

...comes the untold tale of the Artful Dodge : Vampire Slayer

Okay, I love a good dose of cheese as much as anyone, but this has to stop.

Fintan

Invisible Cities is one of my favorite books!
Haha, awesome! Well I just bought The Castle Of Crossed Destinies and The Complete Cosmicomics. So I'll let you know if there's anymore Calvino worth reading once I finish those!

Nymerio

Finished Abaddon's Gate today. I'm really digging this series, the no/low gravity battles are really cool. This image actually fits perfectly for the series so far:

YrI2XUq.jpg

I'll be starting Promise of Blood today. Hope it's good.

duckroll

The Master & Margarita

It took a really long time due to a bunch of distractions, but I finally managed to finish it. Pretty good book with a lot of ideas going on. The narrative doesn't really feel like it was written in a linear fashion, and there are probably enough individual themes to make two or three books here. It's not really a story which feels particularly concerned about a clean narrative so much as using the characters and setting to evoke specific feelings and emotions with regards to the running themes. Lots of regret, bits of redemption, heavy commentary on a bureaucratic society, and filled with dark humor.

The Master seems to be a reflection of the author's difficulties and struggles as a writer in the Russia of the day, and the contrast between the Master's approach to writing and the literary society's attitudes towards what should be written is a pretty clear critique I think. For a book with so much resentment towards the system, and takes so much pleasure in tearing it all down via supernatural means, it has a surprisingly positive outcome for the main characters. Is that optimism or delusion? The epilogue seems to make it clear that the author doesn't really see much hope in the progress of society (at least in Russia) on a whole though, with all those left behind either deluding themselves from the obvious truth, or living in regret that they continue to exist in this imperfect place.

I just finished Soldiers Live the final Black Company book (unless he writes more) and I loved it. It really ends things on a satisfying note and wraps things up well. It was really fun seeing the outfit evolve over the series. Different characters' roles change. We saw them through different eyes throughout. Great battles and interesting sorcery. It was a bit sad finishing it too since I will really miss it. Certainly some of the entries were better than others, but I enjoyed the whole thing.

I'm crossing the finish line a day after you. What a wild, wonderful journey this series has been. Apparently, there are two more planned books coming out, but I don't put much stock in that for now.

Great ending to the series.

lightus

Finished up Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson last night. I enjoyed the book but the pacing seemed a bit off to me. There were some parts I was like "okay come on hurry up" and others were I was like "Yes! This is want I want! *flips page* ..oh, over already?"

It was good but not great. 3.5/5 (rounded up to 4/5 on goodreads)

Started on Maus by Art Spiegelman today and already 100 pages in. Gonna finish it up tomorrow. Really liking it so far.

64229.jpg

Also, I've been wanting to incorporate more nonfiction into my reading. I haven't really read any nonfiction at all and I'm kinda lost. I'm picking up One Summer: America, 1927 by Bill Bryson after seeing it in this thread. Seems like a nice way to ease into nonfiction. Should be here by Tuesday!

17262366.jpg

Wurst

Caliban's War
I gave this book a go even though I voiced my concerns with the first book in the last thread.
I still can't fathom the massive amount of hype the series gets, but it was a good read.
The characters keep talking and talking at times and between action pieces. I thought the whole ending felt rushed.

The Last Wish (Witcher 1)
Loved it. Fun stories, didn't expect that much humor. Loved the dialogue and setting.

The Monstrumologist
Read it because the cover grabbed my attention at a book store. And I really enjoyed it. Tremendous amounts of blood and gore. Can't believe it's a book aimed at children / teens.

I'm trying to get back into The Blade Itself - another popular franchise I don't get -, tried Dauntless by Jack Campbell, which sucked.

21844946.jpg

And I recently purchased the Writing Excuses Anthology Shadows Beneath, which I'm really excited about.

Meteorain

Finished Tower Lord - Anthony Ryan. I don't think the book was as good as the first in the series, but it certainly did have some interesting stuff and I enjoyed it overall.

I have now picked up a series that I have wanted to read for years, but just never did. I'm actually quite excited to start it, I have heard some good things about the series.

the-gunslinger-stephen-king.jpeg

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Thanks to whoever suggested Promise of Blood. Really enjoyed that series, and I look forward to book 2 (which I already bought).

Finished Tower Lord - Anthony Ryan. I don't think the book was as good as the first in the series, but it certainly did have some interesting stuff and I enjoyed it overall.

I have now picked up a series that I have wanted to read for years, but just never did. I'm actually quite excited to start it, I have heard some good things about the series.

the-gunslinger-stephen-king.jpeg

It's an amazing series, best of luck!
I had troubles getting into it after The Gunslinger, because I don't think it was written with a 7-part series in mind. Book 2 was good, 3 was great, and by that time I was sucked in.
There are a lot of other King novels that tie into the series as well, so if you feel like it, check out some of the other ones (The Talisman, It, The Stand, Insomnia, Black House, The Eyes of the Dragon).

Jarlaxle

15985373.jpg

Still trucking through this. I'm glad it's the last in the trilogy as I think I need a break from this drab, depressing world.

Fey

Banned
Just finished The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith/JK Rowling. Pretty much had the same problem as the first book. OK build up during most of the novel, but instead of the reveal of the killer and method of murder making me go, "That makes sense! Man, I could have figured that out!" it made me go "????????????????Whsat????how the fuck??????did he come tothat conclusion???" It's disappointing because almost every Harry Potter book is, at its core, a whodunit mystery novel that for the most part made some sense, but she can't seem to get an actual mystery/crime focused novel right.

Now I'm thinking of reading

18467802.jpg

see5harp

Finally finished words of radiance. Man Sanderson can be clumsy with words and dialogue but guy can really tell a compelling story when he wants to. Sorta excited about getting done with fantasy for a while.

robo_qwop

ЯAW;119607845 said:
Being big fan of W.G Sebald I'm grateful to find out about Coming Through Slaughter. I really love the photography in this book

FEPr05b.jpg

Man, Sebald is one of my favorites too. I'm favorably biased towards Coming Through Slaughter, seeing as I live in New Orleans.

Nuke Soda

108 pages into Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace and really enjoying it so far.

Finished Red Sparrow and it was okay. Not really what I was hoping it would be, but not terrible either. Conventional spy vs. spy affair where they fall in love.

TripOpt55

Started up The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie. About 100 pages in and not sure how I feel about it yet. Will dig in some more before bed.

Grym

amazing book. can't say it'll be enjoyed but it is certainly illuminating.

I'll be honest, after what I've heard, I'm a bit nervous to begin. But I've read Escape from Camp 14 and feel the need to dive deeper into the subject right now

An-Det

I finally finished House of Chains (which was fantastic, but I took way too long to read it) and have started the next Malazan book, Midnight Tides. I'm only through the prologue so far, but being done with HoC is rejuvenating for getting back into the swing of reading. Plus this is an awesome series.

TetuI2D.jpg

BILL-BRYSON-.jpg

I'm usually not very interested in recent US history, but this is a fun read.
Really funny I just bought this tonight randomly. Came to this thread and saw it twice. I loved A Short History.

If you like this, check out John Gordon steel. Similar method of explaining history through relevant anecdotes and microcosm stories

Kattbuss

I finally finished House of Chains (which was fantastic, but I took way too long to read it) and have started the next Malazan book, Midnight Tides. I'm only through the prologue so far, but being done with HoC is rejuvenating for getting back into the swing of reading. Plus this is an awesome series.

TetuI2D.jpg

As I mentioned in one of the previous pages, I'm now reading book 9 of this series. I agree that it is an awesome series and it only gets better.

CavesOfSteelCover.jpg

Isaac Asimov - The Caves of Steel

Polished that one off yesterday. A satisfying sci-fi political mystery. I really only knew Asimov from Foundation (where people are really just plot pushers) so I was pretty pleased with the characterizations and overall character of the book. It was short and contained. Good stuff.

Now I'm reading:

Songs_of_distant_earth.jpg

Arthur C. Clarke - The Songs of Distant Earth

My first Clarke. I'm hoping I can find 2001 and its various sequels cheap sometime soon.

I'm also taking a few cheap paperbacks with me on vacation, mostly for train rides. I prefer disposable paperbacks for vacations because they're easier to replace than my eReader if it gets stolen or broken. One of the books is the first Dune, which has always been a major standout in my sci-fi backlog.

ShaneB

17046608.jpg

Finished. Wasn't as great as the first, and I think it became rushed towards the end. Still an enjoyable read though.

About summed up my thoughts as well when I read it last summer. I absolutely loved 600 Hours of Edward, and recommended it plenty here, and I did really love Edward adrift as well, but it just never felt as personal, and more of a road trip type of story. Still gave it 5/5 however, mainly because of how much I loved Edward and wanted to read more and more.

edit: I finished Collision Low Crossers last night, and absolutely loved it. Easy book to recommend for Football fans. Mac 92, I think you're just wacky for not enjoying it! Time to decide what's next. Empire Falls is looking quite likely. But maybe I might read The Last Picture Show... or maybe more Football with The Rookie for some fun summer reading.

Bazza

Finished 'The Gods of War' in the Emperor series, have to say i'm glad my knowledge of Caesar was quite limited before reading the series for things like
Brutus' betrayal, just couldn't believe it.
I also had no idea of how well he was regarded as a military man, before these books I just presumed all his fame came from politics.

I suppose not technically a spoiler I doubt there is a person alive who didn't know he was assassinated but I didn't expect his death in this book when I saw was there was a 5th book, so i'm really interested in getting started on the last book.

Jintor

Caesar was a bamf, but I've always liked the Marian/Sullan wars that preceeded him better in terms of political intrigue.

I'll be honest, after what I've heard, I'm a bit nervous to begin. But I've read Escape from Camp 14 and feel the need to dive deeper into the subject right now

Don't be nervous. I read both and Nothing to Envy is the better book. It's better written and seems more 'factual' if that makes any sense.

ЯAW

Banned
Any Amos Oz fans? I have been reading great amount of his articles recently and now I would like to dive into his fictional work but don't know where to start.

About summed up my thoughts as well when I read it last summer. I absolutely loved 600 Hours of Edward, and recommended it plenty here, and I did really love Edward adrift as well, but it just never felt as personal, and more of a road trip type of story. Still gave it 5/5 however, mainly because of how much I loved Edward and wanted to read more and more.

edit: I finished Collision Low Crossers last night, and absolutely loved it. Easy book to recommend for Football fans. Mac 92, I think you're just wacky for not enjoying it! Time to decide what's next. Empire Falls is looking quite likely. But maybe I might read The Last Picture Show... or maybe more Football with The Rookie for some fun summer reading.

Reminds me I need to get to 600 Hours of Edward. Pretty sure I bought it last time it was on sale.

I thought CLC was OK, just didn't love it. It was my third book on the subject after Next Man Up, and The GM, so may have just been a bit burned out on them at that point... and I really don't like the Jets organization or Rex Ryan haha.

Also remembered this one if you want more football. It's a great summer read, football, amazing food, some humor and a love story set in Italy, what more could you want?

Playing for Pizza by John Grisham

dionysus

Yaldog
I've finished a bunch of stuff recently.

Tower Lord: The sequel to the good epic fantasy Blood Song fails to deliver. Whereas Blood Song focused on one character, Tower Lord introduces familiar and new characters as POV characters. Spoiler that is not really a spoiler follows.
The main protagonists does nothing until the last 2 chapters of the book.
I honestly can't understand how such an obvious flaw got through the editorial process. Overall a decent book if you are hugely into the genre, if not avoid it.

Out of the Black: Odyssey One Book 4: Military sci-fi that just wants to do military sci-fi. Not trying to be The Forever War, just trying to tell an interest story. Unfortunately, this book is from first to last page nothing but battle. There has to be some character development in a story and some periods of rest for the reader, this book is like the final few chapters of a book stretched into an entire book. Good news is that is is relatively short.

Blood of Innocents: Sequel to the excellent Crucible of Souls if you are into epic fantasy. Unfortantely, while decent it just is not as good. One of the good supporting characters that reveals much about the main character is reduced to the role of plot device to drive the action. Story suffers from it, and also fucking remains unresolved so the shit will continue in the next book. Overall I'd say this one of the better epic fantasy in the mid-tier of the genre.

In general I am finding one thing that is growing on me in terms of annoyance in the fantasy genre is that the first book is so much better than the sequels. I don't think it is because the newness wears off. I think it is because the author completes the character development and growth of the protagonist in this first book, and then for the sequels the perfect character has no where to go. He just is presented with new plot points to overcome, or the author develops other less important characters. Authors, stop perfecting your hero in the first book. Leave him room to grow later on.

I've finished a bunch of stuff recently.

Tower Lord: The sequel to the good epic fantasy Blood Song fails to deliver. Whereas Blood Song focused on one character, Tower Lord introduces familiar and new characters as POV characters. Spoiler that is not really a spoiler follows.
The main protagonists does nothing until the last 2 chapters of the book.
I honestly can't understand how such an obvious flaw got through the editorial process. Overall a decent book if you are hugely into the genre, if not avoid it.

That's disappointing to hear. I really loved Blood Song, but it sounds like no one is digging the followup from what I've been seeing here and on the internets.

Humble Sci-Fi eBook Bundle

I usually post a thread but eh, whatever. Are these books any good?

Pay what you want for The Healer's War by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, The Reluctant Swordsman by Dave Duncan, Freehold by William Dietz, The Time of the Dark by Barbara Hambly, and Wingman by Mack Maloney. Beat the average price and you'll receive all of the above as well as Spellsinger by Alan Dean Foster, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison, The Forge of God by Greg Bear, and Song of Kali by Dan Simmons. Pay $12 or more to receive everything previously mentioned as well as Encounter with Tiber by Buzz Aldrin and John Barnes and Blackcollar by Timothy Zahn.

dionysus

Yaldog
That's disappointing to hear. I really loved Blood Song, but it sounds like no one is digging the followup from what I've been seeing here and on the internets.

It is not bad if you ignore the first book. But the first book sets up expectations about the POV and the protagonist, and Tower Lord goes in the opposite direction. Blood Song to me stood out in the genre because it did a few things different than the normal epic fantasy, 1 pov character and large time skips allowing the focus on important events in protagonists life. I no longer like too many POV characters unless it is extremely well done and the stories intertwine, so this book was the opposite of what I wanted.

besada

Banned
What besada meant to tell you is that, whatever you decide, you should read Jeff VanderMeer first.

That is what I meant to tell you. If you haven't read City of Saints and Madmen, Shriek, Finch, Annihilation, and Authority, then you shouldn't be wasting your time with other authors.

That means you, too, Mumles. How can you love CoSaM so much and not read Shriek and Finch?

What besada meant to tell you is that, whatever you decide, you should read Jeff VanderMeer first.

That is what I meant to tell you. If you haven't read City of Saints and Madmen, Shriek, Finch, Annihilation, and Authority, then you shouldn't be wasting your time with other authors.

That means you, too, Mumles. How can you love CoSaM so much and not read Shriek and Finch?

Y'all making my backlog too big. This thread is trouble.

ShaneB

Reminds me I need to get to 600 Hours of Edward. Pretty sure I bought it last time it was on sale.

I thought CLC was OK, just didn't love it. It was my third book on the subject after Next Man Up, and The GM, so may have just been a bit burned out on them at that point... and I really don't like the Jets organization or Rex Ryan haha.

Also remembered this one if you want more football. It's a great summer read, football, amazing food, some humor and a love story set in Italy, what more could you want?

Playing for Pizza by John Grisham

I'm not a Jets fan either, but like I mentioned in my review, I certainly liked the staff, and it was hard to put down at times. I guess if you read all those books in quick succession it could be a bit of overkill on the subject. Definitely best to space them out. Playing For Pizza I've had my eye on for a while since you mentioned it ages ago as well.

And yes, you should read 600 Hours of Edward, when have I lead you wrong before!? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom