• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2015)

Goody

Finished up Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. I liked it quite a bit, but it's one I'm going to have to mull over. I got my copy in of The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. I'm excited to read it, but it's over 600 pages and I don't want to burn myself out on Murakami, so I'll read a few smaller things first.

I read Snakes and Earrings by Hitomi Kanehara in a couple of sittings. I liked it OK. It was predictable and kinda trashy, but something stuck out to me about it that I can't quite put my finger on. I'll probably read Night by Elie Wiesel next. Last time I read this was either in middle or high school. I taught a unit on the holocaust recently and I've been wanting to revisit Night.

RELAYER

Banned
Is there anything more annoying than publishers who attempt to conceal the fact that they're peddling abridged versions?
Dickheads.
So tired of going on 6 hour internet detective escapades just to figure stuff like this out.

8855321.jpg

I, kind of surprisingly, finished Leviathan Wakes last night. I say surprisingly because I wasn't aware that the kindle version came with some other book attached to the file so I was kind of surprised when the book suddenly ends around 50%. That in some way probably made me feel a little wanting once I got to the end, but overall I'd say I really liked it. I enjoyed the characters and the suspense once it came to a lot of the action.

My only real issue was the end with Miller on Eros. It just sort of came together too nicely and sudden. It was sort of just "Oh, that's what we'll do? Ok, done." End. It made me want to read the second book, so I guess that's something.

Edit:Spoiler'd, Sorry about that.

Donos

Better spoiler the last part repairman. Still want to read it and i glanced over your paragraph which seems like a bit spoilery (outcome).

Nearing the end of Powder Mage trilogy (The Autuum Republic). I think this could be made into a movie. Would be kind of like "Wanted" set in 18th century.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I am currently nearing the end of Nemesis Games(The Expanse 5th book).

KRvemLf.jpg

Gotta say, its by far the most disappointing book of the series so far. It's got the last 10% or so to redeem itself still, but I'm doubting that's going to happen, as what usually happens is that I'm already at the climax at this point and the last 5-10% is all about everything working out for everybody and having a mostly happy ending. Bleh.

It feels like so little happens. Technically, there's one very major event that should be super 'woah holy shit' but somehow the author(s) don't do a very good job of getting the impact across as they're too focused on the little day-to-day existence of the main characters and the bromance-style narrative. And more and more, every character feels like they talk and act the same, with only the villains of the story seeming to have any unique character.

And I hope this doesn't spoil too much for anybody, but I'm also highly disappointed at the lack of any alien sort of influence. I really loved all the protomolecule stuff and felt it was a huge part of the draw of the narrative, and there's nothing of that here, though there is *some* room for that to come into play still, though I wont say anything more than that.

But yea, while I still like the characters and its not a bad book by any means(I wouldn't say to not read it if you've already read the other books and enjoyed them), its the least gripping of the whole series so far. Disappointing.

I had the exact opposite reaction, thought it was one of my favorite of the series. Sure, I missed the Protomolecule stuff as well. But I liked getting to know the crew better, and I thought the story was really good on its own.

Started Queen of Fire by Anthony Ryan on Kindle, and reading Dune as my lying in the sun-book.

Mumei

Is there anything more annoying than publishers who attempt to conceal the fact that they're peddling abridged versions?
Dickheads.
So tired of going on 6 hour internet detective escapades just to figure stuff like this out.

What brought this up?

I am currently reading Hall of Mirrors: The Great Depression, the Great Recession, and the Uses-And Misuses-Of History by Barry Eichengreen

It is quite interesting so far. As the title suggests, it compares the Great Depression and the Great Recession, what caused them, how did people respond to them, and whether that response was, well, helpful or not. Basically, his argument is that we did learn something from the GD, but not everything, and our limited success has actually prevented necessary reforms to take place.

I am still only about 65 pages in, but I am liking it so far. There isnt a whole lot of econ jargon, so I think basically everyone will be able to understand it. He also roots the story in people and their actions, which keeps it entertaining and my mind from wandering.

His comparison between the Euro and the Gold Standard is interesting, and makes a lot of sense.

https://hbr.org/2012/08/how-europes-new-gold-standard/

Apparently it is not a new one though, though the author of the book I am reading does get cited for his most well-known work, Golden Fetters.

added to my queue. at my last job we actually used some of eichengreen's studies in our analysis.

Nymerio

Heh, had the same problem when I read The Count of Monte Cristo on my kindle. I loved the book but the plot seemed to move at an extremely aggressive pace, so much so that I compared page numbers with my printed copy and figured out that I got an abridged version ebook :|

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Auschwitz-9781586483579.jpg

Auschwitz: A New History, by Laurence Rees.

I heard good things about this so I bought it for $7.98 at Barnes n Noble two days ago. About thirty pages in (prologue included) and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Mumei

My first issue of Bookforum came in the mail today! It's a quarterly book review magazine, for those who don't know. I was going to just get the summer issue because I wanted to read Jenny Davidson's A Little Life review, but when I inquired about purchasing a back issue I was told that the single issue would be $6, while a subscription would be $15. So, I went with the subscription.

Mumei

Speaking of translations of classics, what's the recommended translation for War and Peace?

Pevear & Volokhonsky, as I understand it, though I also read very good things about the translation that Anthony Briggs did for the Penguin Classics Deluxe edition. I've only read the former, and I thought it was very good in English (though I have no point of comparison with other translations or with the original Russian).

RELAYER

Banned
Speaking of translations of classics, what's the recommended translation for War and Peace?

You can google this and get a thousand discussions about this. There is no definitive answer. Being that this novel in particular is a really common field of the "translation war", you can easily find passages from the various editions to compare with one another and choose what you like best.

P&V are the newest and are hot shit thanks to Oprah (half joking). I don't really care for them. I find their writing limpid and composed with a tin ear.

The classic translation would be Constance Garnet who had the good fortune of actually meeting Tolstoy. For some reason she is often criticized for her Victorian English, as though Victorian English is somehow inappropriate for Tolstoy. Her biggest criticism would be various Russian authors come off sounding similar in her translations. A lot of classic authors like Woolfe, Hemingway, and Lawrence liked her. Nabokov hated her if you care about Nabokov.

The Maude translation Tolstoy himself reputedly approved of, if that counts for anything. It kind of sounds apocryphal. I haven't read that one but the Maudes were good friends of Tolstoy and one could reasonably expect them to accordingly produce a good translation.

jtb

Banned
Picking up Go Set a Watchman, Between the World and Me, and Although Of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself today. Probably reading Coates first.

Jaevlar

Picked up Philip K Dick's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"and I'm loving it. A few pages left. I don't understand how I missed picking this one up earlier.

Are the rest of his works on par? Heard good things about "Ubik". Any tips on similar authors and topics?

Mumei

Picking up Go Set a Watchman, Between the World and Me, and Although Of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself today. Probably reading Coates first.

I just ordered Between the World and Me after reading an anecdote about Toni Morrison's endorsement:

Late this spring, the publisher Spiegel & Grau sent out advance copies of a new book by Ta-Nehisi Coates, a slim volume of 176 pages called Between the World and Me. “Here is what I would like for you to know,” Coates writes in the book, addressed to his 14-year-old son. “In America, it is traditional to destroy the black body — it is heritage.”

The only endorsement he had wanted was the novelist Toni Morrison’s. Neither he nor his editor, Christopher Jackson, knew Morrison, but they managed to get the galleys into her hands. Weeks later, Morrison’s assistant sent Jackson an email with her reaction: “I’ve been wondering who might fill the intellectual void that plagued me after James Baldwin died,” Morrison had written. “Clearly it is Ta-Nehisi Coates.” Baldwin died 28 years ago. Jackson forwarded the note to Coates, who sent back a one-word email: “Man.”​

I stopped reading the article after it started giving a bit too much away about the contents, though.

Picked up Philip K Dick's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"and I'm loving it. A few pages left. I don't understand how I missed picking this one up earlier.

Are the rest of his works on par? Heard good things about "Ubik". Any tips on similar authors and topics?
I didn't love Ubik but it wasn't bad. I liked A Scanner Darkly a lot more. And you want similar topics to Do Androids..? or Ubik?

Jaevlar

I didn't love Ubik but it wasn't bad. I liked A Scanner Darkly a lot more. And you want similar topics to Do Androids..? or Ubik?

Okay, guess I will have a go at both Ubik and A Scanner when I get some more reading time free in the future!

I was thinking more along the way of the plot and setting in Do androids..

People criticize the Victorian English of Garnett as though 19th-Century Russians were on the bleeding edge of novel-writing by comparison. Pevear and Volokhonsky are acclaimed for seeming accuracy, but even their translation of TBK shows Dostoevsky to be a very moralizing, "of his time" writer, as compared to the magisterial and, in many ways, quite-modern heights of men like Melville and Whitman.

Dresden

I had a pretty horrible time with P&V's translation of Gogol. Their process goes like this - V translates, and P goes over it with a "literary" mind, and they adjust as necessary to fit the nuances of the original text, all the flaws included. At least that's what I remember of some profile of the pair in some magazine; the result, anyway, was fucking unbearable for Dead Souls. God bless Guerney.

Piecake

People criticize the Victorian English of Garnett as though 19th-Century Russians were on the bleeding edge of novel-writing by comparison. Pevear and Volokhonsky are acclaimed for seeming accuracy, but even their translation of TBK shows Dostoevsky to be a very moralizing, "of his time" writer, as compared to the magisterial and, in many ways, quite-modern heights of men like Melville and Whitman.

I personally just find it odd when Russians are speaking like Victorian Brits. That takes me somewhat out of the novel, something that a more modern or 'authentic' translation doesnt

I had a pretty horrible time with P&V's translation of Gogol. Their process goes like this - V translates, and P goes over it with a "literary" mind, and they adjust as necessary to fit the nuances of the original text, all the flaws included. At least that's what I remember of some profile of the pair in some magazine; the result, anyway, was fucking unbearable for Dead Souls. God bless Guerney.

I would recommend Diana Burgin's translation of Master and Margarita over P&Vs any day as well. Lot more humorous and dynamic. P&Vs felt kinda flat, which for all I know might have been authentic, but it definitely made for a less enjoyable read.

The thing is, P&V are (supposedly) more accurate, but you can tell that they don't really have very literary minds, as their prose simply does not have a very musical flow. Pasternak's niece criticized quite harshly their translation of Doctor Zhivago, pointing out that they make what she calls very basic errors of translation in their zeal for literal accuracy over spiritual fidelity. Specifically, she says that they leave a lot of inverted word orders and in-tact cliche colloquialisms that, in English, might seem less trite and more novel because our language gravitated toward a different particular phrasing of the same generic concept. Yet, to really do justice, good or bad, to the untranslated work requires using English to give to readers a sense of what a typical reader of the original language would experience while reading it. Rainer Maria Rilke, for example, wrote German rhyming poetry, but the best translations of him that I've seen largely do away with this particular piece of the artifice because giving readers a sense of what he's actually saying is more important than mere fidelity to one aesthetic particular of the original writing.

Ashes

Banned
Went and bought Go Set a Watchman.
Had to go to two shops.

Also bought the Count of Monte Cristo. Not gonna read it for six months at least...

TTG

Okay, guess I will have a go at both Ubik and A Scanner when I get some more reading time free in the future!

I was thinking more along the way of the plot and setting in Do androids..

In my experience, PKD doesn't do much in the way of rehashing. He's one of the most creative science fiction writers so every one of his books seem to be bursting with novel ideas. I like Ubik and The Man in the High Castle to go along with Androids.

Nelo Ice

Banned
8Wlz5AF.jpg

Just finished this yesterday. Felt like my speech skill just went up 1 lol. I felt like the first half was common sense and I was already doing most of it. The rest of the book had some good advice and I'll try and utilize it.

Also with New Horizons hype in full gear, I decided to finally start up Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for the first time.

Alucard

Banned

Androids is fantastic. A true 5-star sci-fi classic. If I were you, I would move on to either The Man in the High Castle, A Scanner Darkly, or The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. I didn't love Ubik as much as these, but to each their own.

Alucard

Banned
To update, I'm about 330 pages into The Elfstones of Shannara, and it's one of the best epic fantasy novels I've ever read. Mind you, my experience with the genre is limited, but if I had to suggest a fantasy book to someone, I would certainly have this as one of my go-to choices. I'm looking forward to seeing how things wrap up. I really enjoyed the final 50 pages or so of Sword of Shannara, so I'm hoping this one packs a similar punch when I reach the end.

Oddly enough, I just found out there's a TV series based on Elfstones coming out in 2016 called The Shannara Chronicles.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
To update, I'm about 330 pages into The Elfstones of Shannara, and it's one of the best epic fantasy novels I've ever read. Mind you, my experience with the genre is limited, but if I had to suggest a fantasy book to someone, I would certainly have this as one of my go-to choices. I'm looking forward to seeing how things wrap up. I really enjoyed the final 50 pages or so of Sword of Shannara, so I'm hoping this one packs a similar punch when I reach the end.

Oddly enough, I just found out there's a TV series based on Elfstones coming out in 2016 called The Shannara Chronicles.

Glad you're having such a great experience with The Elfstones of Shannara (especially after a typical middling experience with tSoS). It's one of my favourite books ever, and I wish more people would give it a shot instead of brushing Brooks off after reading tSoS. You're going to love the ending.

besada

Banned
I am about 1/3 of the way through The Confusion by Neal Stephenson, which is volume 2 (covering books 4 and 5) in his Baroque Cycle. I don't see the Baroque Cycle get as many mentions as Stephenson's other work, but they are probably my favourite books by him.
I love them, too, but they were just too much for a lot of readers.

I'm reading Predictable Irrationality by Dan Ariely, a recommendation from my Secret Santa Mod Book Club partner.
TnVftBn.jpg

HORRORSHØW

just got ligotti's songs of a dead dreamer and grimscribe. going to read through that and card's elements of fiction writing--characters & viewpoint

Dresden

I started Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates tonight. There's an affecting moment early on when the host of a news show he's on brings up a certain photograph of a black boy hugging a white cop in Baltimore, and asks him about "hope." He knows then that he has failed, that nothing he's said that night has mattered. He follows it by describing a Dream, which is America as experienced by those who believe themselves to be white, and 'Dream' then becomes a pejorative that the black body is measured against, and failed.

It's all very early on of course - that particular passage occurs at like the 8% mark, and I'm at 20%ish. But the despair is tangible.

---

I'd also intended on finishing the City of Stairs this week, but I came across the book's website, which has this incredibly mundane background art with the most mundane interpretation of the setting possible. Not that the book's cover is any better, but now I can't think of anything else when I try to read it. I suppose there's always next year.

And I finished A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara last week. It's one of the best I've ever read.

Mifune

Mehmber

P&V's translation of Notes from Underground is wonderful, and illuminates the universality and modernity of Dostoevsky.

I could see calling Tolstoy "of his time," as his prose, as beautiful and lyrical as it is (the P&V Anna Karenina is really gorgeous btw), is stately and demure in a way that, to me, defines classic realist fiction.

Dostoevsky's work is much messier and uglier, so focused on the dark depths of humanity, with characters prone to Tourette's-like outbursts. I can't help but see a bit of myself in the Underground Man. And I see the Underground Man everywhere in contemporary entertainment: in Travis Bickle (hell, Taxi Driver started as an adaptation of the novella), David Brent of The Office, Kenny Powers, and so on. The man did not write time capsule fiction but work that has endured and directly inspired great twentieth/twenty-first century art, by digging deep into the grimy innards of his characters.

Bladenic

So I already finished Go Set A Watchman. I need some time for my thoughts to settle. However, I believe Lee herself described it as a "decent effort," and that really is pretty succinct. A decent effort, but not a literary masterpiece. It could have been with revisions and expansion, but instead we got To Kill A Mockingbird, certainly not a loss.

I also love this article, and one that describes I how feel about the novel pretty well. Warning: there are ending spoilers.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/07/14/books/review/harper-lees-go-set-a-watchman.html?referrer=

RELAYER

Banned
What brought this up?

Penguin f****** classics and their listings on Amazon.

I originally didn't reply to this b/c I figured it was too involved and boring, and extremely nerdy, but I was looking to buy Livy's Ab Urbe Condita Libri.

Since many of the original books/chapters have been lost, resulting in significant gaps in the narrative of the text, and because the work is huge, it's apparently become a custom/money-making strategy to publish the work in separate volumes.

It seems the only current (affordable) editions of this are from Penguin Classics and Oxford World's Classics. The first 3 volumes of both seem similar enough, but while the 4th volume of the Penguin edition contains the final books 31-45, it's corresponding Oxford analogue of these same books takes up two volumes, Volumes 4 and 5, comprising books 31-40 and 41-45 respectively.

The fact that it took Oxford 1088 pages to accomplish in these final two volumes what Penguin did in 704 pages and one volume is suspicious, although it could just be essays or something, IDK. The page numbers of the first 3 volumes in either series more or less match.

So all this leads me to believe that the 4th volume of the Penguin version has been abridged, although I can't for the life of me find any confirmation of this besides a few puzzled reviews on Amazon, which aren't the most reliable source of information and who mostly seem as confused as I am.

Being that some of the extant chapters themselves have lacunae, it makes the task of finding what is abridged and what isn't significant, particularly when publishes aren't really forthcoming about it. According to a reviewer, Penguin has used the really ambiguous phrase "There are some cuts in the text, but it follows the main narrative." in a footnote at certain points. Whether this indicates an abridgement or a lacuna in the text is anyone's guess. People in the Amazon comments seem to think abridgement, although this is not indicated anywhere by Penguin.

And what's worse, if the 4th volume has indeed been abridged in this manner, it casts a doubt on the preceding 3 volumes as well.

I know the old cardinal rule of thumb "it's abridged if it says it is, if it says nothing then it isn't" used to work, but it's a trickier rule to go by when looking at stuff on the internet.

I have this sort of problem with Penguin often when they publish "selections" from an authors work under various titles. For example they'll take something like Plutarch's Moralia, pick like only 10 out of the original 78 writings, and then publish it as "Essays", and then not indicate anywhere that it's a selection. And so while it's not technically an abridgement, it's also not technically anything worth buying. They create this weird maze of abridgements, selections, and editions, and it's all just really annoying.

Finally finished The Explorer. (only took me six months, I blame it on Library books and their due dates vs. The Explorer sitting on my Kindle not going anywhere.) I really enjoyed it - even if the giant gap says otherwise - and I started Echo this morning because I want to know what happened after that ending.

Seeing how Echo started though...I wonder if it's going to be
like The Damned Trilogy and the story moves forward by years outside of the books. If you haven't read that trilogy, basically there's a story in the first book and the second book continues the basic thread but it's many many years later and so on for the third book as well so the series takes places over several hundred years.

Still, hoping this one won't take six months as well.

Re: your spoiler. Yes. Sort of. Ish.

phoenixyz

I loved Ubik. One of my favourite Philip K. Dick novels. I would even say one of my favourite novels in general.

NeoGiff

I started this last night.

I'm amazed at how authentic the dialogue is, and that the majority of the story is told simply through dialogue. Funnily enough, the Justified TV show inspired me to read this, as it is the book that inspired Elmore Leonard to start writing crime novels. This is a must read, and it's short enough that you could easily get through it in a couple of hours.

Alucard

Banned
Glad you're having such a great experience with The Elfstones of Shannara (especially after a typical middling experience with tSoS). It's one of my favourite books ever, and I wish more people would give it a shot instead of brushing Brooks off after reading tSoS. You're going to love the ending.

Looking forward to it. The fact that the book is slimmer than TSOS by about 150 pages is also helping. I feel like every scene is important and that the plot is consistently being pushed forward in some way. Plus, I really love some of these characters and even though one or two things seem to be telegraphing one or two characters' journies, I still want to get to the end to see if I'm right about how certain characters will end up.

Reading:

33456.jpg

I had a lot of stuff on my To-Read pile, but I had to skip A Dirty Job to the front of the line to get a reread in before Secondhand Souls comes out next month. Time to see if it was just the right book at the right time, or if it stands up as one of my favorite books.

Necrovex

Completed The Half Has Never Been Told. A phenomenal telling of early American history and cleansing the white washing. It took a while to complete this work as I discovered my knowledge of American history was abysmal. I like to think the book left an imprint of my knowledge and my outlook regarding racial history and strengthening my belief people who protect the Confederate flag are typically racist people. Pity Texas is going to white wash this time period even more. :-(

Not sure what I'll read next. I'll probably take a two week break as I'll be busy with work for a couple weeks and seeing some friends again.

Alucard

Banned
Reading:

33456.jpg

I had a lot of stuff on my To-Read pile, but I had to skip A Dirty Job to the front of the line to get a reread in before Secondhand Souls comes out next month. Time to see if it was just the right book at the right time, or if it stands up as one of my favorite books.

What's the deal with these Christopher Moore books? Are they good? Are they meant for teens?

Top Bottom