• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2015)

G-Fex

C4buqQo.jpg

Trying to at least

mu cephei

Also it's really weird to me that someone said she probably couldn't go dark enough for ASOIAF. Seriously?

Yeah, that was a bit bemusing :) Dark, Hobb can do. The complexity of plotting and worldbuilding, I'm a little more doubtful of.

I'm reading The Goblin Emperor, as you know, and I think the comparison between Maia and Fitz is rather interesting. They are not in precisely identical circumstances - emperor is hardly akin to a minor princeling - but the basic idea of being thrust into court life and circumstances you were unprepared for is similar. So, I find myself imagining Fitz in this book now, and it's not a good look.

Boo. I loved Goblin Emperor and Maia was fab, that his goodness was the defining point of his character and influenced everything he did. With Fitz it was, I don't know, his fallibility? But Maia exists in a world where being good actually works. Fitz doesn't.

Mumei

If I could marry linguistic constructs I would propose to this sentence.

Oh. You're earlier on than I thought!

Boo. I loved Goblin Emperor and Maia was fab, that his goodness was the defining point of his character and influenced everything he did. With Fitz it was, I don't know, his fallibility? But Maia exists in a world where being good actually works. Fitz doesn't.

Hey! I'd like to explain what I meant (I think you've misread me) but I don't want any more hints about what happens in The Goblin Emperor. :(

But I don't think that Fitz's problem
was simply that he tried to be good in a world where being good doesn't work. I felt like he was constantly paralyzed by indecision and passivity, and when he did make decisions he tended to make the wrong decisions, over and over. It was fitting that so much of the resolution . It's like he was Cat Stark rather than Tyrion Lannister, you know? Maia probably would fail when placed in Fitz's very difficult circumstances, at least from what I have seen thus far; but Fitz would probably have failed when placed in Maia's.

I hope that makes more sense.

Alucard

Banned
C4buqQo.g

Trying to at least

Godspeed. Does it list the names of every single first move you can make? Blew my mind when I realized there were names for almost every first pawn or knight move in the game. "The Polish defender" or something like that, for example.

Alucard

Banned
Like I mentioned, for me the best part of Hobb is how she writes characters and their relationships with one another. I barely think of the fantasy aspects of her books, as I'm more fascinated by the Fool, Kettricken, Starling, etc.

...and now I really want to read Liveship Traders. :) I've actually only read The Farseer Trilogy and Fool's Errand by Hobb. Hope to finish the other Fool/Tawny Man books one day too.

Was planning to spend time knocking out my light novel backlog but another author sent me a copy of their book to review. So Ill be reading Strategic Failure: How President Obama's Warfare, Defense Cuts, and Military Amateurism Have Imperiled America" (Mark Moyar).

mu cephei

Hey! I'd like to explain what I meant (I think you've misread me) but I don't want any more hints about what happens in The Goblin Emperor. :(

But I don't think that Fitz's problem
was simply that he tried to be good in a world where being good doesn't work. I felt like he was constantly paralyzed by indecision and passivity, and when he did make decisions he tended to make the wrong decisions, over and over. It was fitting that so much of the resolution . It's like he was Cat Stark rather than Tyrion Lannister, you know? Maia probably would fail when placed in Fitz's very difficult circumstances, at least from what I have seen thus far; but Fitz would probably have failed when placed in Maia's.

I hope that makes more sense.

Very possibly I misread you! I wasn't being entirely serious. I'll admit: I just wanted to protest 'it's not a good look'. I'm partisan :p I'm really sorry I was spoilery. I did think about it, but decided as you didn't mind spoilers in general it would be ok. Of course it didn't occur to me you probably don't care for them right when you are actually reading the book in question!

I didn't actually mean to say I thought Fitz was trying to be good in a world where it didn't work >.< (Or that you were, either). What I meant is, given that in a fictional world the functions of character and plot and world are closely linked, and so the characters of protagonists like Maia and Fitz are a reflection of the worlds they inhabit, (more so imo than multi-pov characters like Cat or Tyrion, though I think I take your point) Fitz's fallibility (or indecision, passivity, and general idiocy!) was understandable, even reasonable, considering his world had few good or simple choices. I don't mean to say they can't still be critiqued, and the comparison is an interesting one. And yeah, Fitz would probably be a mess anywhere :(

Part of this is a weakness of fantasy in general; I don't see a whole lot of rigorous editing going on. Readers expect big books, so there's little incentive for an editor to chop heavily away at something. There is absolutely no way the Malazan books were heavily scrutinized - Erikson's output was simply too great and rapid to have him pour over revisions to the text, and he himself has said he doesn't do them. What's on the page is on the page. Do all fantasy writers get away with that? No, of course not. But I don't think they're necessary getting the screws put to them, either, and it ain't because their writing is uniformly fantastic.

Erikson definitely has the latter-day GRRM problem of overusing a lot of phrases and words. He uses 'assail,' 'conceit,' 'conflagration,' 'skein,' and 'coruscating waves' way more than any good editor would allow if he had one.

Shengar

Oh, I see. That's an interesting take on it; I hadn't even considered that as an issue. I felt like the characters were well-done, but if you look at it from that angle it does lack a certain verisimilitude.
It just my personal pet peeve. Regardless the character is still well done and the theme it explore on imperialism managed to keep my interest (perhaps the saypuris american mannerism is more appropriate in this context then?).
Fantasy authors at a certain threshold of popularity stop being edited, if they were even edited in the first place.

If anything, Susanna Clarke done too much editing!

Erikson definitely has the latter-day GRRM problem of overusing a lot of phrases and words. He uses 'assail,' 'conceit,' 'conflagration,' 'skein,' and 'coruscating waves' way more than any good editor would allow if he had one.

Words are wind and those words are about as useful as nipples on a breastplate. What a mummer's farce.

ShaneB

Sorry Mumei, I'm going to drop Monte Cristo for now and start something new. I've never been good with long books, and my reading interest has dropped to nothing when it feels like I'll never be done.

Piecake

Sorry Mumei, I'm going to drop Monte Cristo for now and start something new. I've never been good with long books, and my reading interest has dropped to nothing when it feels like I'll never be done.

Buy a kindle paperwhite, turn off all loc, page, % crap at the bottom, then you will have no idea how long it will take to finish and how much you have read!

Surprisingly, I actually find that helpful. When I had an older kindle I couldnt help but check my progress by looking at the status bar at the bottom. I think it hurt my reading motivation

Cade

Buy a kindle paperwhite, turn off all loc, page, % crap at the bottom, then you will have no idea how long it will take to finish and how much you have read!

Surprisingly, I actually find that helpful. When I had an older kindle I couldnt help but check my progress by looking at the status bar at the bottom. I think it hurt my reading motivation

You can turn off that stuff on Paperwhite? You might've just sold me. I get depressed reading long books on Kindle because of that.

ShaneB

I actually tried to do this on my kobo when I first got it. It's a hinderance for sure, but also it can help when I know a book is near the finish and I'm in the mood to marathon right to the end.

It's more to do with my book ADD I guess, I'm already thinking about what I want to read next.

Piecake

I actually tried to do this on my kobo when I first got it. It's a hinderance for sure, but also it can help when I know a book is near the finish and I'm in the mood to marathon right to the end.

It's more to do with my book ADD I guess, I'm already thinking about what I want to read next.

Someone really needs to invent that Matrix instant knowledge/skill machine

Piecake

Just finished this and it was pretty good. Basically, the book introduces you into IR theories and evaluates how each IR theory would handle a Zombie Apocalypse. Some of it was quite funny (the chapter on neoconservative was hilarious), but other parts were pretty skim worthy since there was just a lot of common sense parts. Still, I got what I wanted out of the book, a better, if shallow, understanding of IR theory. As for the shallow part, well, it was a very short and quick read, so that is not all that surprising.

You can turn off that stuff on Paperwhite? You might've just sold me. I get depressed reading long books on Kindle because of that.

I turn it back on if I'm reading a short book so that I feel like I'm reading fast. I trick myself every time.

Mumei

What do you want to read next?

A little over half way through my re-read of A Dirty Job. It's definitely holding up for me, it's an absolute delight to read and it's extra appreciated how fast of a read it is.

G-Fex

Godspeed. Does it list the names of every single first move you can make? Blew my mind when I realized there were names for almost every first pawn or knight move in the game. "The Polish defender" or something like that, for example.

Yes I assume so by reading a little of Chapter 1 in on Openings. That's how I learned the Furchetto (sp?)

I'm almost done with "The Echo". I see that the third book isn't due until March of next year and that's a bummer, but then March is when my birthday is so I guess happy birthday to me.

Told you it wouldn't take another six months!

BossLackey

Gold Member
Just finished "Armada". Definitely a guilty pleasure. Not as good as Ready Player One.

Started "House of Leaves". Really interesting, but it's definitely a chore to read, especially as it starts to get weird (structurally).

House_of_leaves.jpg

Jarlaxle

WoT03_TheDragonReborn.jpg

Just finished this. Took me a little longer to get through this one but probably the best one I've read so far in the series. It just seems to be a pattern of these books to have so much setup and then the climax is about 20 pages with barely any downtime afterward and then you're onto the next book and already setting up again.

Anyways, I'm starting to inch closer and closer to the supposed meandering middle of the series. 3 down and 11 to go.

Started "House of Leaves". Really interesting, but it's definitely a chore to read, especially as it starts to get weird (structurally).

House_of_leaves.jpg

Real book? I imagine it would be difficult to read on an electronic device that would change orientation on you when you turn it. Or only shows black and...well...gray.

Just finished this. Took me a little longer to get through this one but probably the best one I've read so far in the series. It just seems to be a pattern of these books to have so much setup and then the climax is about 20 pages with barely any downtime afterward and then you're onto the next book and already setting up again.

Anyways, I'm starting to inch closer and closer to the supposed meandering middle of the series. 3 down and 11 to go.

I was going to say something about the publication dates but looking at Wikipedia it looks like two were published in 1990, one in 91, one in 92, one in 94, one in 96 (the horror, waiting for that long!), one in 98, another in 2000, another in 2003, a prequel in 2004, and the final* one published in 2005. Holy crap.

I finished Authority by Jeff VanderMeer. Going to take a break from the trilogy. The pacing is just glacially slow and the sequence of "How did you know?" "I guessed." really put me off. I'll finish it off eventually but what I read so far provided no motivation.

Saw a copy of Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee at the library so I'll knock that out real quick. From the little that I've read, the writing style is least consistent with To Kill so I'm enjoying myself.

I don't get all the negativity about Authority. Seems to crop up a lot. It was my favorite of the series by far.

I wished for Star Wars Episode VII to come out so I bought the next best thing, according to Star Wars fans: The Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn.

Alucard

Banned
I don't get all the negativity about Authority. Seems to crop up a lot. It was my favorite of the series by far.

I wished for Star Wars Episode VII to come out so I bought the next best thing, according to Star Wars fans: The Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn.

It's a mixed bag to be honest. The first book is pretty great, but I felt they dropped in quality after that. And Thrawn is TOO all-knowing and perceptive. But in terms of Star Wars books, they're far more readable than shit like The Courtship of Princess Leia or The Truce at Bakura.

Shengar

Is it normal to get sleepy when reading books? It is not the book being boring as this happened to my favorite books as well. I wonder if reading while sitting instead of lying down will do the trick.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's the lying down. It just signals to your body that it's sleepy time.

lightus

Finished Nemesis Games by James S.A. Corey. I felt it was pretty good. Not quite as action packed as the other books but it did add a bit of depth to some characters. I'm looking forward to seeing where the series goes.

Now I'm trying to decide my next book. Having a hard time. Quick question, am I supposed to start Book of the New Sun at The Shadow of the Torturer? What is The Book of the Long Sun? I guess what I'm getting at is, where should I start?

Mumei

Finished Nemesis Games by James S.A. Corey. I felt it was pretty good. Not quite as action packed as the other books but it did add a bit of depth to some characters. I'm looking forward to seeing where the series goes.

Now I'm trying to decide my next book. Having a hard time. Quick question, am I supposed to start Book of the New Sun at The Shadow of the Torturer? What is The Book of the Long Sun? I guess what I'm getting at is, where should I start?

Yes, The Shadow of the Torturer is first. The current editions are Shadow & Claw (which includes The Shadow of the Torturer and The Claw of the Conciliator) and Sword & Citadel (which includes The Sword of the Lictor and The Citadel of the Autarch), or the four volumes of the tetralogy. There is also a fifth book, The Urth of the New Sun, which gives answers to many lingering questions that you will want to read after.

The Book of the Long Sun is an entirely different tetralogy, as is The Book of the Short Sun. All three form Gene Wolfe's Solar Cycle. I have only read The Book of the New Sun, so I can't tell you how loosely or tightly they intersect for a certainty, though as I understand it the connections are more ... bonuses than integral, if that makes sense.

Draconian

Winding down on Seveneves, which been one heck of a trip and educational experience for me. Curious to see how this final act is going to end.

I should be done The Confusion at some point in the next week (about 2/3s of the way through so far). I think that I will space out the next three books in volume 3 to avoid burnout. No idea what to read next. Perhaps I should take inventory of all the half finished series that I have started since the beginning of 2014.

Please post some impressions of this and/or Quicksilver. I'm planning on starting this series sometime soon and would love to know what I'm in for.

I'm almost done with "The Echo". I see that the third book isn't due until March of next year and that's a bummer, but then March is when my birthday is so I guess happy birthday to me.

Told you it wouldn't take another six months!
It's nearly finished. A few thousand words away. And then the fourth and final will done soon after that...

Brohan

Rereading ''The Way of Kings'' by Brandon Sanderson, love that book.

Can't wait for him the finish the third book in the Stormlight Archive.

Taruranto

I recently got into Stephen King and as well horror-themed literature (I usually just read mystery and sci-fi with few exceptions, The Count of Montecristo is my favorite book)

I read Bag of Bones and Salem's lot so far, which I bot enjoyed (the later more than the first), I picked up The Talisman, but it's really not doing it for me, it's quite boring and honestly feels like children literature at times.

Not sure if I'm going to finish it at this point. I wanted to read The Dark Tower, but my library doesn't have the first volume, what are some other good books of him? I do enjoy Silent Hill/Twin Peaks esque stories that take place in small, isolated villages and whatnot.

Mumei

I recently got into Stephen King and as well horror-themed literature (I usually just read mystery and sci-fi with few exceptions, The Count of Montecristo is my favorite book)

I read Bag of Bones and Salem's lot so far, which I bot enjoyed (the later more than the first), I picked up The Talisman, but it's really not doing it for me, it's quite boring and honestly feels like children literature at times.

Not sure if I'm going to finish it at this point. I wanted to read The Dark Tower, but my library doesn't have the first volume, what are some other good books of him? I do enjoy Silent Hill/Twin Peaks esque stories that take place in small, isolated villages and whatnot.

Would you believe that someone in this thread recently dropped it for [reasons]? It's tragic, truly.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

for me it was 8-11... bit of a drag. then sanderson shows up and fixes everything. the last 2 books I pretty much couldn't put down.

Nymerio

I think I'll return to WoT some time but I'm still waking up screaming and tugging my braid some nights so I think I'll need a longer break.

The gunslinger was my first exposure to King and I have been on the train ever since. I am up to volume 3 and right now reading his other books that are connected with the universe. I simply can not put his books down. Going to read the Stand next. ( FYI you should be able to place a hold on books and they deliver them from other libraries).

Top Bottom