• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2015)

Kamion

Bought it on Kindle like two years ago and finally got around to reading Never Let Me Go by Ishiguro Kazuo.

Gosh, that was a great book. While not a lot happens and it's generally only "slice of life" and - if you want to look at it that way - a coming of age story, it still made me think a lot.

I kind of want to watch the film now - and I kind of don't.

Cade

Finally finished up Wizard and Glass, so I'm going to knock out some shorter stuff before I jump back into The Dark Tower. First up, thriller fluff:
24833801.jpg

survivor

Banned
... Wait a minute. I just learned that the author of Stoner is the same person who wrote Augustus. I don't know how I overlooked that until now.

I loved Augustus. Has anyone who read Stoner also read Augustus?
Yeah, I read both. I ended up liking Augustus more over Stoner. Although my interest in Roman history probably played into that.

Recently finished:
18081809.jpg
8257435.jpg
10335308.jpg

Landline was good, my second favorite Rowell just after Attachments. Better than her other two, that's for sure.
Hector and the Search for Happiness was pretty bland. Hector was completely unlikable and childish, especially in his weird infatuations with every female he came across.
Mindy Kaling's autobiography was great. It's very trendy now for female comedians to write a book with witty observances, hints of tongue-in-cheek life advice, and bits and pieces of how they got to where they are now. It's a bit funny how all of these books reference one another and always seem to highly revere Bossypants. I should reread that soon, since I don't remember it being quite the be-all, end-all of comedian autobiographies that these people make it out to be.

Just started:
7045236.jpg

Bazza

8643407.jpg

10822283.jpg

16130317.jpg

3428935.jpg

6736971.jpg

9268487.jpg

13630171.jpg

1673452.jpg

1673450.jpg

1673449.jpg

112292.jpg

96594.jpg

1372055.jpg

2341319.jpg

5292173.jpg

7200884.jpg

9676849.jpg

12398719.jpg

15984804.jpg

18667767.jpg

23281815.jpg

So that's what I have read this month so far. Out of all those I would probably say the Warded Man series was the one I enjoyed the most, at one point in the 4th book I was thinking to myself
'huh no one of any real significance seems to have died so far' then Rojer gets ganked. Really looking forward to seeing how his death is handled in the next book.
eager to see what will happen in the final book.

The Stark's War series was interesting, until I was around 20% into the first book I thought the characters outside of Stark were terribly written
it wasn't until it starts becoming clear that people have been essentially brainwashed and was intentional.

The Lost Fleet and Beyond the Frontier books were good fun, I hope John G. Henry pick's up Geary's story again at some point, I know there are 3 more books in the series but they focus on Midway station I but I want more Black Jack.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
ive read a couple of books by murakami now and have really enjoyed them. i would say i probably enjoyed 1Q84 more than colorless tsukuru, but both were good. may try wind up bird chronicle or kafka on the shore relatively soon.

I checked out IQ84 tonight, definitely excited to start it after reading the synopsis.

Just started:

20893407.jpg

I started this after seeing your post, and I have to say I'm really enjoying it so far. I love vampire stories where
the conflict doesn't really involve humans, but is instead a conflict between the vampire community
, and that's pretty much what this is. The (e-)library only had the audiobook, and I normally don't care too much for audiobooks since I tend to read a lot faster than people talk, but this one's different. The author really adds a lot of personality to his narration, and it really adds a lot to the atmosphere of the story, I find. I definitely feel like the audiobook is the better choice for this one.

Alucard

Banned
Uh, how do you read 21 books in 23 days? Are you a gentleman of leisure? A book critic? Seems impossible if you have any other commitments, especially when some of those books are pretty hefty.

Saphirax

Seeing all the praise about the Vorkosigan saga, I finally decided to read my copy of Cordelia's honor. I've finished Shards of Honor and started Barrayar. I have to admit I didn't really enjoy SoH. I liked the more political narrative, but everything was happening lightning fast; there was no time for proper character development.
And the almost instant romance was really off putting

I'm not that far into Barrayar, but I like it more than SoH already and I do hope it ends up being better.

Wolf in White Van is do back at the library later today and I have only read one page. Guys I'm in way over my head with this library card.

Donos

-lots of hero with rifle/gun covers -

[IMG]https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1422119694l/23281815.jpg

So that's what I have read this month so far. Out of all those I would probably say the Warded Man series was the one I enjoyed the most, at one point in the 4th book I was thinking to myself
'huh no one of any real significance seems to have died so far' then Rojer gets ganked. Really looking forward to seeing how his death is handled in the next book.
eager to see what will happen in the final book.

The Stark's War series was interesting, until I was around 20% into the first book I thought the characters outside of Stark were terribly written
it wasn't until it starts becoming clear that people have been essentially brainwashed and was intentional.

The Lost Fleet and Beyond the Frontier books were good fun, I hope John G. Henry pick's up Geary's story again at some point, I know there are 3 more books in the series but they focus on Midway station I but I want more Black Jack.

They slipped and forgot to give him a gun on the last cover.

Finished with Powder Mage trilogy and most of the short stories. Nice overall but i missed a bit real "shieeeeeeeeet" moments. Highlights went by and entertained me but not really griped me fully.

Cy4aXMT.jpg

Started "Leviathan Wakes" from the Expanse universe. A bit catious with these long space operas now since Revelation Space series ended that strange/lackluster/disconnected from the main plot of the series (Absolution Gap).

After this i'm going to read Stoner. My library has digital version for borrowing.

Bazza

Uh, how do you read 21 books in 23 days? Are you a gentleman of leisure? A book critic? Seems impossible if you have any other commitments, especially when some of those books are pretty hefty.

Regular working week 8.30 to 5 each day (get an hour lunch which I will spend reading, not much time to do other things), my other media consumption has taken a back seat, not played a game this month and my TV backlog is impressive. I am quite a fast reader especially when I am reading a series, a 300-400 page book takes me between 3 and 5 hours according to the Kindle, so with the hour at work 2-4 hours reading in the evening and that's normally a book finished.

edit: looking on good reads my average month seems to be around 20 books, I think the weather has contributed to the number of books I have read this month, alot of the evenings have been spent in the garden rather than inside.

Nymerio

Regular working week 8.30 to 5 each day (get an hour lunch which I will spend reading, not much time to do other things), my other media consumption has taken a back seat, not played a game this month and my TV backlog is impressive. I am quite a fast reader especially when I am reading a series, a 300-400 page book takes me between 3 and 5 hours according to the Kindle, so with the hour at work 2-4 hours reading in the evening and that's normally a book finished.

How do check this on Kindle? I've asked in the Kindle thread if it's possible to look this up and the only answer I got was that it could be possible with FreeTime. Are you using that?

Alucard

Banned

Goddamn. 100 pages an hour? That's ridiculous. I usually hit between 40-50 pages in that time.

Bazza

How do check this on Kindle? I've asked in the Kindle thread if it's possible to look this up and the only answer I got was that it could be possible with FreeTime. Are you using that?

If you go into the options menu at the top right of the screen when a book is open , somewhere in there is a reading progress option, you can have it show time till end of the book or a few other options, it was that way on the paperwhite and voyage, not sure about earlier versions but I do know the various kindle apps have the option as well.

Mumei

Goddamn. 100 pages an hour? That's ridiculous. I usually hit between 40-50 pages in that time.

It depends on what I'm reading. Some genre fiction, yes. Like, Sanderson is a really breezy read. Or GRRM, the pages go by quite quickly. Bujold, too. But if I'm reading, say, Woolf, I'm much, much slower.

Bazza

They slipped and forgot to give him a gun on the last cover.

I can only assume the guns on the covers are an intentional joke seeing as the main character doesn't hold one in the entire series and a conversation between two of the characters in one of the books mentions their equivalent of a TV show/films based on 'Black Jack's' life all feature him holding a gun, or perhaps I'm giving the publisher too much credit.

edit: realised these are probably the US covers, think US covers are shown as default on goodreads, the UK covers shown on Amazon for the lost fleet books show Battleships.

Nymerio

If you go into the options menu at the top right of the screen when a book is open , somewhere in there is a reading progress option, you can have it show time till end of the book or a few other options, it was that way on the paperwhite and voyage, not sure about earlier versions but I do know the various kindle apps have the option as well.

I know about the progress thing, I thought you could look up how much time you actually spent reading after you've finished a book.

Shengar

edit: looking on good reads my average month seems to be around 20 books, I think the weather has contributed to the number of books I have read this month, alot of the evenings have been spent in the garden rather than inside.

It depends on what I'm reading. Some genre fiction, yes. Like, Sanderson is a really breezy read. Or GRRM, the pages go by quite quickly. Bujold, too. But if I'm reading, say, Woolf, I'm much, much slower.

How do you guys do this? I mean, keep your focus laser-pointed at the book and nothing else.

PaulloDEC

Just finished this one last week:

fF1b.jpg

Nice read, with lots of insight to times, places and cultures I wasn't very familiar with. Not a particularly pacy book, but an enjoyable one.

Mumei

How do you guys do this? I mean, keep your focus laser-pointed at the book and nothing else.

I am easily distracted, so I will tell you when I figure that out.

Just finished this one last week:

fF1b.jpg

Nice read, with lots of insight to times, places and cultures I wasn't very familiar with. Not a particularly pacy book, but an enjoyable one.

Where are you from? I like that cover.

PaulloDEC

Where are you from? I like that cover.

It's a lovely cover, and it suits the tone of the book very well.

I'm from Australia. The book deals with Jewish and Middle Eastern culture quite a lot, which aren't topics I've read much about. The setting (New York in the late 1800s/early 1900s) was also quite a new and interesting one to me.

Mumei

It's a lovely cover, and it suits the tone of the book very well.

I'm from Australia. The book deals with Jewish and Middle Eastern culture quite a lot, which aren't topics I've read much about. The setting (New York in the late 1800s/early 1900s) was also quite a new and interesting one to me.

Oh, I've actually read it, and it's a great book. I just thought it was interesting because the American edition spells it "Jinni" rather than "Djinni." I think I prefer it with the D.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
We Americans are too stupid to process "Dj" as a consonant.

Hey, at least it's not Genie!

PaulloDEC

Oh, I've actually read it, and it's a great book. I just thought it was interesting because the American edition spells it "Jinni" rather than "Djinni." I think I prefer it with the D.

Oh, gotcha. It's a cool word, even if I found myself never quite certain how to pronounce it, ha.

We Americans are too stupid to process "Dj" as a consonant.

Hey, at least it's not Genie!

I'm Australian, and I still struggle! In my head it's said "Jinn", but with a hint of the "D" at the start.

I'll have to find a new book to read now. Is this a good thread to ask for recommendations? I've got a rough idea of what I'm looking for, but it can be hard to get good suggestions with just Google for assistance.

Donos

I can only assume the guns on the covers are an intentional joke seeing as the main character doesn't hold one in the entire series and a conversation between two of the characters in one of the books mentions their equivalent of a TV show/films based on 'Black Jack's' life all feature him holding a gun, or perhaps I'm giving the publisher too much credit.

edit: realised these are probably the US covers, think US covers are shown as default on goodreads, the UK covers shown on Amazon for the lost fleet books show Battleships.

haha, nice info. Seems really the case of luring potential US readers in with the covers.

survivor

Banned
Hit the 85% mark of A Little Life today. Gonna try to power through it and finish it today. Wonderful book, although I wish we would have seen more of Malcolm and JB.

17792341._UY200_.jpg

Weird book set in the college I went to, but I don't think the author actually went to school here because of the strange discrepancies. I think it's a murder mystery? I'm almost halfway through and I'm still not sure where the plot is going. It's well-written and unconventional, which is what I look for in self-publish stuff.

Alucard

Banned

I could maybe do 20 a month if I were just reading 100-page novellas. @_@ Damn. Do you have a partner or kids?

I only get about 60-90 minutes of reading time per day. 30 mins on the bus to and from work, and 30 mins or so before bed after the kids are asleep.

I'd also imagine someone who reads that much must do some writing of his/her own.

Bazza

I could maybe do 20 a month if I were just reading 100-page novellas. @_@ Damn. Do you have a partner or kids?

I only get about 60-90 minutes of reading time per day. 30 mins on the bus to and from work, and 30 mins or so before bed after the kids are asleep.

I'd also imagine someone who reads that much must do some writing of his/her own.

No, which leaves me with quite a bit of free time.

As for writing not since I was at school, there is always a little voice in the back of my head saying 'do it' I even have a notebook with loads of ideas for stories that pop into my head (which generally come to me just before I drop off to sleep keeping me up while I write them down) but I never seem to be able to get myself to sit down and write, I don't know why though I always used enjoyed writing stories when I was at school. Perhaps my subconscious is waiting for me to come up with the right idea to get me started again.

mu cephei

Yeah, the Baroque Cycle is a pseudo-prequel to the Cryptonomicon.

Minor spoilers that you encounter in the first chapter:
Enoch Root is in both books

Oh, cool.
Root was great. By turns mysterious, amusing and aggravating. Until the end, when he was boring :(

Yes, I'm probably at about 30-60 pages an hour depending on how into the book I am. My concentration is crappy unless I really like something. Then, I can read for several hours straight.
(And I hope you do read Liveship Traders and continue with the Tawny Man trilogy, Golden Fool is up there with Storm of Swords for me, that is, one of the most enjoyable fantasy books ever. But if you're a fan you should definitely read Liveship first, to get the most out of it.)

Alucard

Banned
Oh, cool.
Root was great. By turns mysterious, amusing and aggravating. Until the end, when he was boring :(

Yes, I'm probably at about 30-60 pages an hour depending on how into the book I am. My concentration is crappy unless I really like something. Then, I can read for several hours straight.
(And I hope you do read Liveship Traders and continue with the Tawny Man trilogy, Golden Fool is up there with Storm of Swords for me, that is, one of the most enjoyable fantasy books ever. But if you're a fan you should definitely read Liveship first, to get the most out of it.)

I intend to at some point. I really enjoyed The Farseer Trilogy, and Liveship Traders just really interests me as a concept. Sentient ships? Sign me up.

Fool's Errand was also one of -the- most enjoyable fantasy books I've ever read.

mu cephei

Liveship Traders is excellent, the multi-pov really works and it has several great characters. One of the best being a ship :) Considering how I thought the multi-pov didn't work so well in the Rainwilds quartet, looking back I'm a little surprised Liveships was that good.
Fool's Errand was amazing. Actually, the second book in the next trilogy, the Fitz & Fool trilogy, is out next month, it might be a good time to marathon them!

Cade

Follow You Home has turned, from the first handful of chapters, from something I wanted to read as thriller fluff to something I am hate-reading because of the writing and the fact that it has to remind the reader every few seconds that this is a modern book for modern people. Ha, the protagonist is an app developer who sold his app to a tech startup! He's low on phone battery and cracked his screen but he's still trying to play games on it. So relatable!

I'm not getting enough sleep and I'm grumpy morning-posting

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
txjVvFi.jpg

Just not feeling this one as much as the first two. Really disliking Melba and am really indifferent to the rest.

xxracerxx

How far are you?

1/4 of the way through I believe,
Holden and crew are just inside the gate now. And the other ships have decided to follow.

I think I am just having a hard time liking how Melba's character is written to this point, it just seems so..cliche.

kswiston

1/4 of the way through I believe,
Holden and crew are just inside the gate now. And the other ships have decided to follow.

I think I am just having a hard time liking how Melba's character is written to this point, it just seems so..cliche.

Melba sucks. The scenario gets interesting around the point that you are at, but I had to take a break from the series after book 3.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
txjVvFi.jpg

Just not feeling this one as much as the first two. Really disliking Melba and am really indifferent to the rest.

Hm. I just started this over like two days ago, and I'm with you on Melba. I don't even want to read her chapters at all and I'm just skimming through them. Bull stuff is all right and I have no idea what's even happening with the preacher lady.

SO cliché, maybe that's why I can't be fucked reading her stuff.
I also hate stupid revenge by framing plots. Like, your dad was the worst person in history, nobody would act that way realistically

xxracerxx

SO cliché, maybe that's why I can't be fucked reading her stuff.
I also hate stupid revenge by framing plots. Like, your dad was the worst person in history, nobody would act that way realistically

The whole
family honor
shit is so contrived it hurts.

Draconian

I'm less than 100 pages from the end of the almost 900 page volume 2, so I can give you (and whoever else is curious) some quick impressions/summaries now.

Stephenson's Baroque Cycle series is 8 books that were either collected in 3 volumes or published separately depending on what edition you are getting.

Volume 1 (Quicksilver) covers the first three novels: Quicksilver, King of the Vagabonds, and Odalisque.

Quicksilver was an interesting way to start a sprawling series in that it has no real coherent plot. It focuses on the (fictional) Daniel Waterhouse, who is a puritan English scholar in the second half of the 17th century. The book follows his life for a decade or so from his time as a student at Cambridge college (alongside some of the most notable English men of that era) to his early career as a member of the Royal Society of London. It also has a few flash fowards to Daniel as an old man about 50 years later in Boston. You don't get any sort of coherent story. What you do get is a ton of history and historical fiction regarding science, mathematics, alchemy, puritanism and post-reformation England. Isaac Newton, John Wilkins, and Robert Hooke are major characters in the book, and Daniel is sort of presented as a behind the scenes assistant in a lot of their major work.

If you find Quicksilver a little dry, I would suggest powering through it, because it provides needed framing for future books. Things also take a major narrative change starting in book 2.

Book 2, King of the Vagabonds, introduces Half-cocked Jack Shaftoe and Eliza, two major characters and narrative view points in the remainder of the series. Jack is an English Vagabond and sometimes soldier. Book 2 gives you his background and picks up with him in Austria, where he meets Eliza. The book follows their journeys together, and has a much more coherent plot than the first novel. The setting is also very different than the first book. To start with, it mainly takes place in continental Europe, including Austria, Germany, the Netherlands and France. Second, Jack is a low class peasant (where Daniel's family was well off), so you get to see a different side of life in the late 17th century. Jack's a classic rogue, so expect more humor and action in this book.

Book 3: Book 3 continues with Eliza and returns to Daniel. After two books of set up, I think this is where things get really interesting (not that the last book was dull). Tons of political intrigue, some hints on where the series is actually going in the long run, and quite a bit of info on mathematics, economic theory/history, and cryptography if those topics interest you.

Volume 2 consists of 2 books, Bonanza and the Confusion, that have concurrent chronologies. You will switch between books as the timeline dictates if you get them as one volume. The Confusion continues the plot points going on in England, France and the Netherlands. Bonanza is a round the world adventure story full of pirates and more exotic African and Asian locales.

If you want a high stakes page turner, you won't get one in the Baroque cycle. While there are some terrific action sequences (and the writing is almost always witty), Stephenson doesn't shy away from very lengthy digressions on a large variety of topics. I find most of these digressions really interesting, but I think your enjoyment would depend on how much you like like history, science, economics, etc. If you have read Snow Crash, and enjoyed the data theory and Sumerian linguistics stuff, you will probably enjoy the digressions in these books as well.

Thanks so much for the synopsis. It definitely sounds like it's going to be right up my alley. Is the link between the related characters in this series and Cryptonomicon significant enough to recommend reading that one first, or does it really matter? I'm going to read it at some point, but am leaning towards reading the Baroque Cycle first.

kswiston

I finished the Confusion today. I guess I am reading Vor Games next.

Thanks so much for the synopsis. It definitely sounds like it's going to be right up my alley. Is the link between the related characters in this series and Cryptonomicon significant enough to recommend reading that one first, or does it really matter? I'm going to read it at some point, but am leaning towards reading the Baroque Cycle first.

I haven't read Cryptonomicon beyond a synopsis, but from that info, I don't think it matters that much. Most of the connections seem to be very Easter Egg in nature.

Alucard

Banned
Liveship Traders is excellent, the multi-pov really works and it has several great characters. One of the best being a ship :) Considering how I thought the multi-pov didn't work so well in the Rainwilds quartet, looking back I'm a little surprised Liveships was that good.
Fool's Errand was amazing. Actually, the second book in the next trilogy, the Fitz & Fool trilogy, is out next month, it might be a good time to marathon them!

I'm working on my physical bookshelf backlog before buying anything else. Have between 20-30 books on there that I need to get through.

Top Bottom