• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2015)

Bazza

21611.jpg

Finished this today [edit: finished it yesterday just realised its 4am not Saturday evening any more], I wish I didn't read the first few paragraphs of the author's note before doing what I normally do and jump straight into the story.

Normally no matter the setting, within a couple of chapters I'm completely immersed in the books universe, the Vietnam War being mentioned in the authors note at the beginning of the book made it very hard to create the universe the author was going for in my head, until about halfway into the book everything that happened to William Mandella I imagined it happened in some Jungle on earth and not another planet light years away from earth.

When I got to the half way point the things like the fact that humans are travelling between stars but the combat suits they wear can only see things in lower light by sacrificing image quality didn't matter all that much.

About half way into Forever Peace, had to do a bit of googling after the first chapter to make sure I didn't buy the wrong book. Once again I wasn't happy because what I was expecting from the book (a follow up to Mandella's story) wasn't what I got. Well done Joe Haldeman you sneaky fucker, don't know how you blagged its as a part of the Forever War series but its a great book so far.

I give my 3.5s a 3 because of the "I liked it" quote that GR gives that score. Books which are 7 out of 10s are closer to 6s than 8s. Mathematically, I know it's exactly the same, but I still think of 6 out of 10s as books I liked, and 8s as books I "really" liked.
If I think a book is between 3 and 4, I'll typically round down to 3. Weirdly, if I think a book is between a 2 and 3, I'll round up to 3.

Mostly because I wouldn't want the author to feel bad if I kinda sorta liked it.

Mumei

I tend to be a bit loose with 4s, but less so for 5s.

A Little Life:
I'm up to Caleb and I can't help but feel this is needlessly self indulgent but also if that isn't the whole point.

Yes.

I'm about halfway through Great Expectations. I'm enjoying it, though at something of a remove. I'm not sure how to explain it. I think it's that at this point in the story I don't find Pip to be very appealing. Or at least not consistently. I'm assuming that naturally as he becomes older he'll come closer to the way he is as a narrator (since it's narrated by an older Pip), and then it'll click for me in terms of my feeling invested in the character.

Alucard

Banned
21611.jpg

Finished this today [edit: finished it yesterday just realised its 4am not Saturday evening any more], I wish I didn't read the first few paragraphs of the author's note before doing what I normally do and jump straight into the story.

Normally no matter the setting, within a couple of chapters I'm completely immersed in the books universe, the Vietnam War being mentioned in the authors note at the beginning of the book made it very hard to create the universe the author was going for in my head, until about halfway into the book everything that happened to William Mandella I imagined it happened in some Jungle on earth and not another planet light years away from earth.

When I got to the half way point the things like the fact that humans are travelling between stars but the combat suits they wear can only see things in lower light by sacrificing image quality didn't matter all that much.

About half way into Forever Peace, had to do a bit of googling after the first chapter to make sure I didn't buy the wrong book. Once again I wasn't happy because what I was expecting from the book (a follow up to Mandella's story) wasn't what I got. Well done Joe Haldeman you sneaky fucker, don't know how you blagged its as a part of the Forever War series but its a great book so far.

I enjoyed The Forever War, but I really didn't like Forever Peace. I donated it to a shop as soon as I was done with it because I knew I'd never read it again. Don't remember the story exactly, but I think the characters were too macho bullshitty and other things that just didn't hook me. Plus, it just felt so damn long. Would be curious to hear your thoughts.

If I think a book is between 3 and 4, I'll typically round down to 3. Weirdly, if I think a book is between a 2 and 3, I'll round up to 3.

Mostly because I wouldn't want the author to feel bad if I kinda sorta liked it.

Yeah, I rarely give 2s and don't think I've ever given a 1. I mean, if someone got their work published and obviously put effort into it, it's hard giving anything less than a 2 or 3...unless that book is Beatrice and Virgil by Yann Martel. Really disliked that book after loving Life of Pi.

VanWinkle

I'm about halfway through Great Expectations. I'm enjoying it, though at something of a remove. I'm not sure how to explain it. I think it's that at this point in the story I don't find Pip to be very appealing. Or at least not consistently. I'm assuming that naturally as he becomes older he'll come closer to the way he is as a narrator (since it's narrated by an older Pip), and then it'll click for me in terms of my feeling invested in the character.

Great Expectations is one of my favorite books ever.

Jimothy

51ybECcOSVL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Power of the Dog by Don Winslow

A novel about the drug trade featuring everyone from DEA agents to high class whores that is actually a pretty good early history of the War on Drugs (NAFTA, the CIA and Iran-Contra feature prominently) while also being a damn good thriller. I'm about halfway through and it still hasn't let up.

A Little Life:
I'm up to Caleb and I can't help but feel this is needlessly self indulgent but also if that isn't the whole point.

Yes, I think Hanya overdid it but she overdid it with a purpose.

There is a great dearth of gay oriented literary novels and she was calling attention to plights that often go ignored in literature. You'll be approaching an emotional breakdown soon. If you aren't a heartless monster that is.

Mumei

Yes, I think Hanya overdid it but she overdid it with a purpose.

There is a great dearth of gay oriented literary novels and she was calling attention to plights that often go ignored in literature. You'll be approaching an emotional breakdown soon. If you aren't a heartless monster that is.

The review you allude to in your second sentence, which I'm not linking to as it gives far too much away, also makes mention of this idea:

“It might have been mawkish,” one character thinks about his feeling for Jude, “but it was also true.” This is the claim that animates A Little Life: that by violating the canons of current literary taste, by embracing melodrama and exaggeration and sentiment, it can access emotional truths denied more modest means of expression. In this astonishing novel, Yanagihara achieves what great gay art from Proust to Almodóvar has so often sought: a grandeur of feeling adequate to “the terrifying largeness, the impossibility of the world.”​

And the author has made essentially the same argument in three or four different interviews. Whether it works or not, it's definitely done intentionally. I know some people who like it when it is more subdued, where the pushing at realism stems from just how good things are in some respects, but who feel lost by the shift as the book moves to Jude's perspective. You should more or less know how you feel by page 250, though.

Cade

FUCK THAT BOOK.(follow you home) If the poor writing and self-dating wasn't enough, the fear mongering racism against Romanians and the rape scenes every other page was. Coupled with an unearned "twist" sting ending that was a total asspull like a bad short story, I finished disgusted and horrified, but not because the book itself was scary. My first one-star. I'm now undecided what to read next. And angry.

Also read the first book in the prince of thorns series. Liking the post apocalyptic vibes. Channeling some canticle for Leibowitz, there.

The Broken Empire series is fantastic.

The Red Queen's War trilogy which takes place concurrently is amazing as well. Mark Lawrence is a terrific writer. I love the world he's managed to craft in these series. My only real gripe is a distinct lack of fleshed out female characters. But the rest is so great, I can forgive it.

Alucard

Banned
Started this after midnight last night.

TheSirensofTitan(1959).jpg

Got through chapter 1, which was a good 30-40 pages. Really enjoying it, and definitely enjoying much more than my first exposure to Vonnegut, which was Slaughterhouse V.

It's weird going from 3 straight dense fantasy novels (should finish up The Wishsong of Shannara by tomorrow) to reading something like this, which has a larger font size and smaller page count. I'm likely going to breeze through it by the end of the week, and then I'm finally going to read Asimov's original Foundation trilogy.

ShaneB

Now reading..

Flight of Passage by Rinker Buck

400492.jpg

Just finished the introduction. I am hooked and will very much enjoy this.

Finished this last night. Absolutely loved it, and an incredibly fun read. Very much recommended (still a monthly kindle deal for a few more days!) for anyone looking for a fun sense of cross country adventure these guys had in 1966. Lots of emotional impact as well with Rinker speaking a lot about his brother of course, and Father. I'll definitely read his other books, especially his newest, The Oregon Trail: A New American

Sorry Mumei, not back to Monte Cristo yet (no idea when I'll ever get back to it, so much other stuff I want to read), will read this read. Back to sports..

Out of My League: A Rookie's Survival in the Bigs by Dirk Hayhurst
20448017.jpg

41ch3jLWwGL._SY445_FMwebp_.jpg

Utter tripe. One of the Summer's big beach reads. Cruise ship gets stranded, paranormal shit happens, no explanation given, end of book. You've been warned.

Rikhard13

Neo Member
Reading through A Song of Ice and Fire. I only watched the first season of HBO show and then started to read the books instead. I like the writing style quite a lot. Currently reading:

AStormOfSwords.jpg

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Great book. I read it years ago, just picked it up off the shelf at the library in the SciFi section. With that title, and a cheezy scifi cover (better than the one you've go there, but still not great) I figured it would just be some garbage that I'd read a couple pages from and return. What it actually was blew me away.

The adventure elements were great, captivating and original. The social examinations were interesting and seemed observant and reasonable. The emotions of the characters were gripping. Really a fantastic read.

just finished this. started off really slow and dragged for a bit until 3rd of the way. after reading the misborn trilogy, this one was little disappointing.

715oo5T%2BTBL.jpg

Started reading A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again by David Foster Wallace. I'm two essays in and loved the first while I was a bit more iffy on the second. The second essay, about the role of television for Fiction writers had a number of interesting, even amazingly insightful passages, but it lost me as it went on and I feel like I need to re-read the last ten pages or so . . . but I can't say I feel a strong pull to do that either.

I'm glad the next essay seems to have gotten away from the academic trappings of that second essay. I quite like DFW when he's on, and he seems most on when he's blending anecdotes of his personal life with these amazing nuggets of reflection that broaden his experiences to life as a whole. When I read these moments, I get this constant pain of remembering that he's now gone.

Protome

Started reading Naomi Novik's Uprooted. Partly so I can start following the Sword and Laser podcast a bit better, partly because I've been meaning to read her work for a while and this seemed like less of a commitment than the Temeraire series. It's pretty good so far, nothing particularly original but it's well written and in particular I am enjoying the setting of this series of little villages living in constant fear of "The Wood" which occasionally send out corrupt and evil creatures.

ATF487

Just started Infinite Jest.

I can see this being absolutely tedious and/or absolutely brilliant. I didn't know it was set in MA, not often I read books mentioning stores in Porter Square.

Donos

So, is Malazan worth it from start to finish? I've read great things about most of the books.

Alot of aspects are worth reading it all but he opens so many strings and builds the world so large/old, that alot of story is left on the table at the end. Granted some things get fleshed out a bit more in the side books but i haven't read them all (sidebooks).

The malazan "marines" are awesome and their arc gets closed up though. Books have definitevly some huge "shit is hitting the fan" moments when things/powerful characters are converging.

I also wished that Erikson would have toned down how old some beeings are...

Wensih

Just started Infinite Jest.

I can see this being absolutely tedious and/or absolutely brilliant. I didn't know it was set in MA, not often I read books mentioning stores in Porter Square.

It's amazing. I can understand just starting and feeling lost and tedium setting in, but I didn't feel that way by the time I finished. It's still my favorite book and it's been 5 years.

As for my readings, I just finished Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and am starting The Corrections.

Mumei

I read Blind Descent: The Quest to Discover the Deepest Place on Earth by James M. Tabor yesterday. It's quite fascinating, though the race conceit was less interesting than all the horrific ways that the supercaves could kill you / drive you mad.

Alucard

Banned
Alot of aspects are worth reading it all but he opens so many strings and builds the world so large/old, that alot of story is left on the table at the end. Granted some things get fleshed out a bit more in the side books but i haven't read them all (sidebooks).

The malazan "marines" are awesome and their arc gets closed up though. Books have definitevly some huge "shit is hitting the fan" moments when things/powerful characters are converging.

I also wished that Erikson would have toned down how old some beeings are...

Okay. I'll keep it in my mind, but it's something I won't get to in the next few years. :) Gonna read stuff I'm much more certain I'll like or love, and that doesn't require as much of a time investment.

Plus...still working on my bookshelf backlog.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I already have this on my reading list, but this review makes me even more excited.

Hurry up January.

Well, it's not out until January of next year. Presumably aidan will take it upon himself to remind us. Right? :3

Oh, yes. I'm sure I'll be talking about the book for the entirety of 2016 as I try to convince everyone in ear shot to read it. Similar to Station Eleven this year.

Sounds intriguing. Is that Charlie Jane Anders of io9 by the way?

And is the magic "hidden" or "open" to the public in the world of the book?

Yep, same Charlie Jane Anders. Her short story, "Six Months, Three Days", won the Hugo a couple of years ago.

The magic is very similar to Harry Potter: rich, magical world full of wizards that's meticulously hidden from the public while still manipulating the outside world when necessary.

Hitting the final 100 pages of Wishsong of Shannara. Don't think I'll have any interest in a Shannara book after this one, at least not for a good while. The original trilogy feels like two pretty good books sandwiching an amazing book. Elfstones of Shannara is just so damn good, while Sword is a slog, and Wishsong feels like a remix so far. Not sure my opinion will change in the final 20 percent of the book, but right now, it's headed for that 3-star goodreads rating.

Honestly, at this point, you've seen most of what Brooks has to offer. The follow-up series, The Heritage of Shannara, is up there with Elfstones as his finest work, but it continues to reuse a lot of the same elements seen in earlier books, and that's where the series starts to feel very familiar. I would recommend giving The Scions of Shannara a shot, though. It's much darker than his previous novels, and has some interesting political developments in the Four Lands.

Is...is that James Franco?
I tend to be a bit loose with 4s, but less so for 5s.
Same. In iTunes, for example, 3 or less means delete. I can usually find something good about entertainment but if it's just unredeemable, it's gone. This has translated to 3 star reviews for songs that I know I need to delete. The only ones that survive are ones that are part of an album where it's essential to keep the flow intact.

I'm on chapter 7 or The Golem and the Jinni and I love it. The voices for the female Golem and male Jinni are so distinct...it's a rare thing for a writer to capture. I grabbed the audiobook and I'm listening to it at the same time as I'm reading and it's actually helping me absorb the book better, I think. It certainly helps with the names as I wouldn't have known to pronounce Chava correctly. Anyway, can't wait to see where it goes.

SleazyC

50c0c9d1d.jpg

So you must wake up every morning knowing that no promise is unbreakable, least of all the promise of waking up at all. This is not despair. These are the preferences of the universe itself: verbs over nouns, actions over states, struggle over hope.

The birth of a better world is not ultimately up to you, though I know, each day, there are grown men and women who tell you otherwise. The world needs saving precisely because of the actions of these same men and women. I am not a cynic. I love you, I love the world, and I love it more with every new inch I discover. But you are a black boy, and you must be responsible for your body in a way that other boys cannot know. Indeed, you must be responsible for the actions of other black bodies, which, somehow, will always be assigned to you.

Amazingly poignant book. The poetry of the book is beautiful and the subject matter is incredibly emotional and deep. Highly recommended.

Mumei

Oh, yes. I'm sure I'll be talking about the book for the entirety of 2016 as I try to convince everyone in ear shot to read it. Similar to Station Eleven this year.

I also haven't read this.

I'm on chapter 7 or The Golem and the Jinni and I love it. The voices for the female Golem and male Jinni are so distinct...it's a rare thing for a writer to capture. I grabbed the audiobook and I'm listening to it at the same time as I'm reading and it's actually helping me absorb the book better, I think. It certainly helps with the names as I wouldn't have known to pronounce Chava correctly. Anyway, can't wait to see where it goes.

Yes! And I love how layered it is. It's great as a story of two ethnic enclaves in turn of the century America, and of creatures from their respective folktales having their own immigrant experience of sorts.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
just finished this. started off really slow and dragged for a bit until 3rd of the way. after reading the misborn trilogy, this one was little disappointing.

715oo5T%2BTBL.jpg

Yeah, agreed, it's just okay. I would give it a 5 or 6 out of 10. Pretty skippable.

Alucard

Banned

Yep, same Charlie Jane Anders. Her short story, "Six Months, Three Days", won the Hugo a couple of years ago.

The magic is very similar to Harry Potter: rich, magical world full of wizards that's meticulously hidden from the public while still manipulating the outside world when necessary.

Honestly, at this point, you've seen most of what Brooks has to offer. The follow-up series, The Heritage of Shannara, is up there with Elfstones as his finest work, but it continues to reuse a lot of the same elements seen in earlier books, and that's where the series starts to feel very familiar. I would recommend giving The Scions of Shannara a shot, though. It's much darker than his previous novels, and has some interesting political developments in the Four Lands.

Thanks, aidan. I may check those out at a later date. I'm also interested in reading the Word and Void series, and at least the first book of the Landover series. (Magic Kingdom for Sale/Sold!) I've read good things about both, and Magic Kingdom sounds like something out of a Piers Anthony Xanth novel, so I'm at least interested if it has the same level of entertainment and fun in it.

Like I mentioned, I'm going to go on a mini sci-fi trek before returning to the world of fantasy. Sirens of Titan is awesome so far, and I'm looking forward to finally reading Foundation by Asimov.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Reading Neuromancer right now.

Thought it started off a little messy and I found myself confused by some of the terminology and events taking place, but it recently clicked for me. Now the plot is moving forward at full speed and I'm finding the action quite exciting.

Number45

Just started A Dance with Dragons, and my GoT marathon is almost at an end. Had only read the first two books previously, but this time I managed to shelve my hatred of some of the characters and see what he had in store.

Mostly happy right now, though
I'm pretty sure I know the *big* thing from this book, thanks to a random SDCC article about Star Wars

Definitely need a break from fantasy when I'm done! D:

Alucard

Banned
You're in for a treat. And that ending. Most times I instantly forget everything I've just read but the ending to that series has stuck with me.

I actually read the first book years and years ago, but I didn't get the big deal. I had loved all of the robot novels, I, Robot, The Gods Themselves, and two more short story collections (Robot Dreams and Robot Visions), but Foundation didn't grab me in the same way. I think the passage of time and being 34 instead of 20-something will help me to appreciate it more.

Alucard

Banned
Reading Neuromancer right now.

Thought it started off a little messy and I found myself confused by some of the terminology and events taking place, but it recently clicked for me. Now the plot is moving forward at full speed and I'm finding the action quite exciting.

I only knew what was going on like 25 percent of the time. One of the worst reading experiences of my life. I love sci-fi and realize the importance of Neuromancer, but it just wasn't enjoyable to read for me.

Piecake

I have almost finished listening to this and I have quite enjoyed it. I honestly did not know much about the Italian Renaissance. All I remember from my high school European history course was that Italians re-discovered the Roman and Greek past, art flourished, developed humanism, and the Italian cities were insanely rich. Their ideas and influence eventually spread to the rest of Europe and you don't hear about Italy again until Mussolini.

My main driver for listening to this course was to figure out what the hell happened to Italy that they are just mostly forgotten after the Italian Renaissance. This course provides a pretty convincing explanation. Basically, Italian merchants and wealth were based on being the middle men of Europe and the Near East, as well as wool cloth manufacturers and bankers. Obviously, around 1500 that started to change with Portugal and Spain finding routes to the East and then the new world that completely bi-passed the Italian cities. They were able to go closer to the producer and undercut Italian prices, putting them in financial difficulty. This wealth flowing into Atlantic Europe also undercut Italy's other major businesses, Banking and wool manufacturing, which were increasingly taken up by the Dutch.

Another major issue was that Italy was not united, but divided into city-states. This was further exacerbated by the way these Italian cities fought. They used paid mercenary bands to fight their wars. Not surprisingly, these mercenary bands did not like bloody battles that weakened the company's future, so battles were more about positioning and tactics rather than death and slaughter. Once the French, Spanish, And German rulers started eyeing the Italian cities as a prize to be taken Italy was pretty much fucked, the barbarians won (Italy thought the Spanish, French, and German were uncultured barbarians) and the Renaissance died.

I also thought his selection of characters to focus on was interesting. When I think of the Renaissance I think of Dante, Michelangelo, Da Vinci, and Machiavelli. Instead, the lecturer focuses on Petrarch, The Medici family, Frederigo de Montelfelgro of Urbino, Castiglione, Savanarola, Machieveli, and Guicciardini. I appreciated his focus on more of the political players, the political thinkers, and basically the people who influenced the thought and temper of the age.

His treatment of Machiavelli was quite interesting since most people, me included, think of him as an advocate of autocratic authority and the ends justify the means. In fact, he was actually a committed republican, but was living through a time where Italy and Florence were getting their shit pushed in by the French, Spanish and Germans. Italy simply couldnt compete, and Machiavelli wanted Italy to unite and adopt the Barbarian's ruthlessness and cruelty to push those barbarians out, but then afterwards adopt the institutions that made Italy in the Renaissance the cultural and economic center of Europe. So, the Prince should be seen as Machiavelli's response to a particular situation, not his ideological beliefs.

ngower

This might be an odd question, but has anyone else run across an obviously erroneous e-book? I don't know how it's happened, but the deeper I get into Patricia Highsmith's "The Price of Salt," the more I run into these really off errors. Words randomly inserted into a sentence, odd placement of commas or periods, frequent misuse of tense....just all sorts of random but inconsistent issues. I don't know how this came about. Anyone?

Top Bottom