• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2015)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I actually was using that as a reminder for historical powers but I would've never included Franks, lmao.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'll list authors instead because it's easier.

Le Guin
Vandarmeer
Wolfe (Gene, not Virginia)

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
(Off the top of my head) I read:

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman,
The Martian by Andy Weir, and
Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer

solely because of GAF recommendations.

Piecake

I read City of Stairs because of your review!

I am sure there has been plenty more, but i have a bad memory for that sort of thing.

TTG

Same on all three and probably in the same order of greatness(if you were ordering them at all). Although Annihilation may have been ahead if I hadn't read Roadside Picnic, maybe it still is.

Nymerio

There's a lot of stuff I read because I saw it here, but off the top of my head:

The Martian
Annihilation
Vorkosigan Saga
Goblin Emperor
Stoner
City of Stairs

And a lot more through the years.

Edit: Thinking about it, I don't think I've ever been disappointed by anything I've picked up from here.

Fmal

Banned
Any recommendations for a mystery novel in the vein of Dennis Lehane's Kenzie/Gennaro series? Ideally something contemporary and modern and not filled with shitty dialogue (I just had to stop reading Brad Park's Faces of the Gone after a few chapters because I'm not convinced the author has ever actually heard two people talk before).

Ashes

Banned
So, here's something for the regulars. List some of your favorite books that were discovered through this thread. I got:
Vorkosigan Saga

Cyan kept on about it. And I finally read the first (I think?). I thought it was alright, but not great.. Haven't read the second or any of the latter, but I might jump on them later this year.

Having said that, there was a Challenge thread where we had to emulate gaf writers, and Cyan gave me DumbNameD's stories to read. & he's never really going to top that. DumbNameD's Ferry Tale, which is somewhere in Gaf's archives, is one of my favourite short stories on Gaf - and for that matter anywhere else.

I think the single best recommendation either in this thread or in the book club thread - for me personally - came from Tragicomedy:

2526.jpg

O.DOGG

Finished Blindsight, and I'm very, very impressed. Some amazing ideas in there. I can't exactly say I enjoyed reading it but the stuff in there is incredible. I'll definitely read the sequel, Echopraxia as well but right now I think it may be too much. I need to switch gears a little. Will decide on the next book by tonight.

Nymerio

This Vorkosigan thing keeps being amazing. I don't think I've had that much fun reading a book since I read the Garrett P.I. series. I'm about half-way through Warrior's Apprentice and Miles
just took command of the mercenary ship by masquerading as a commander of an imaginary elite mercenary outfit.

So, here's something for the regulars. List some of your favorite books that were discovered through this thread. I got:

If on a Winter's Night a Traveller
Vorkosigan Saga
Ubik
Blood Meridian

I kept it strictly to names that I would have never heard of if it wasn't for these threads. So while there were a lot of bigger names that GAF prompted me to read(Catch-22, Lolita, Libra), some were not total unknowns and others were written by a familiar author.
Good question. First and foremost is The Long Ships. Also, The Stormlight Archives, First Law trilogy, Stoner, Ship of Fools, Hyperion, Drood, The Commonwealth Saga, The Heechee Saga, Pushing Ice, The Expanse, and so many more. A lot of what I buy comes after a positive review or two from someone posting in these threads. :)

Edit: Shit I knew I'd forget something - Flashman! Never heard of it til it was picked as a book club book many moons I ago and I absolutely loved it.

Finished:
10644930.jpg

I ended up coming around on it and really really enjoying it. I'd probably say it's my favorite King novel I've read outside of the Dark Tower series. It had me surprisingly gripped to the book from beginning to end. The only part I was ever really down on was the stuff in Jodie, and that was mostly because I thought Sadie was just a boring bleh character. She was a tall clumsy smoker and that's about all I could ever say about her.
The only thing ever interesting about her was her ex-husband.
I ended up caring more about Deke or even Lee's wife than I ever cared about Sadie. Except
, I'd say, until the end.
The final part once Jake goes back to Jodie was pretty heartbreaking.

Overall I really enjoyed it and would probably give a 4/5.

RELAYER

Banned
I want to read Plutarch's Moralia but there doesn't seem to be any good editions of it, besides the Loeb versions, which as usual are prohibitively expensive, especially for something that comes in like 14 fucking volumes.

15k pages? Yeesh.

And ThisGuy, I would not read this book. Not only is it rather old, but there is absolutely no way that a single author has the knowledge to write authoritatively on the history of all the world's great civilizations simply due to language. Can this dude read Classical Chinese, Sumerian, Hieroglyphics, Latin, Greek, etc? I HIGHLY doubit it. There is no way that he would be able to read primary sources on his own or read all of the secondary sources that are in the other language. It makes far more sense to simply read multiple books, but read books written by historians who are writing in their field.

Lol, only on the internet will you find people willing to offer criticism to others about something which they themselves haven't even read and evidently know nothing about.

"There's no way this Pulitzer Prize winning author wrote authoritatively"

Will Durant's history was a life long work and it's one of the best ever written of western civilization. Naturally it's a general history but it certainly isn't lacking depth and not only is it excellently written, it is pretty much exactly what he seems to be looking for.

edit:
ThisGuy said:
Thanks, but I was really hoping for multiple books, that looks cumbersome. But if that's all there is, i'll bite down.
ThisGuy said:
I need to explain myself better, when I said series of books, I meant something like an encyclopedia set. I couldn't imagine sitting down with a singular book of that size trying to read.

The version Mumei linked seems to be some kind of graceless e-text monstrosity. His work was originally published in 11 separate volumes over the course of 40 years.

Thanks tonthese threads I got into Brandon Sanderson, who is now one of my favorites. Also read Andy Weir's the Martian as a result. Picked up Where the Bodies Are Buried the other day based on talk in here as well.

How much of his other stuff have you read? Snow Crash was so long ago I forgot whether I like it or not and Cryptonomicon was a mixed bag. Is there anything else of his worth reading?

Anathem is a fantastic math adventure with made up words - it's one of my favorites. The Diamond Age is similar to Snow Crash in that it's a creative tour de force with a blah ending.

I haven't read the Baroque Cycle and Reamde is a lot of nothing, though it is funny.

I'm going to just guess that you liked Snow Crash for the most part but were disappointed in the ending.

I'm not sure it's possible to have any other opinion. Though as far as Stephenson goes, Snow Crash's ending actually had plot in it, so that's good.

TTG

Anathem is a fantastic math adventure with made up words - it's one of my favorites. The Diamond Age is similar to Snow Crash in that it's a creative tour de force with a blah ending.

I haven't read the Baroque Cycle and Reamde is a lot of nothing, though it is funny.

I leafed through a friend's copy of Anathem once, which was useless, but my eye stuck on the appendix. It was straight out of The Republic(the bit of epistemology where the Socratic method is described) and I mean all the way down to the example with a sheet of paper, except it was coated in fantasy world terminology. What a weird book.

I'll probably try it sometime, I'm not anxious for 900+ pages of that right now. Thanks.

I found our next book of the month!

The Humongous Little Life was just a warm up, I knew it.

Mumei

Vorkosigan Saga
Ubik
Blood Meridian

I kept it strictly to names that I would have never heard of if it wasn't for these threads. So while there were a lot of bigger names that GAF prompted me to read(Catch-22, Lolita, Libra), some were not total unknowns and others were written by a familiar author.

Hm. I'm actually currently reading City of Stairs, which I learned about through this thread. I'm not totally certain about some of these (I think possibly some of them I saw on Goodreads from people I'm friends with from GAF), but:

Vorkosigan Saga
Chalion Series
Southern Reach Trilogy
Ambergris Series
The Long Ships
Earthsea
A Little Life
The Golem and the Jinni
Americanah
Purple Hibiscus
The Quiet American
The Story of the Stone
The Last Unicorn
The Book of the New Sun

I can't say I never would have heard of any of these, but either these threads specifically or someone who is a regular in these threads was the major impetus, so I'll count them.

Lol, only on the internet will you find people willing to offer criticism to others about something which they themselves haven't even read and evidently know nothing about.

Will Durant's history was a life long work and it's one of the best ever written of western civilization. Naturally it's a general history but it certainly isn't lacking depth and not only is it excellently written, it is pretty much exactly what he seems to be looking for.

All true, though the fact that it was written many decades ago is still relevant.

The version Mumei linked seems to be some kind of graceless e-text monstrosity. His work was originally published in 11 separate volumes over the course of 40 years.

I linked that version for the page count. :D

I'm not sure where you came up with the alien armada scenario. The characters hypothesized that the moon was struck by a fast moving black hole. The reason nobody is concerned with aliens is they all believed it to be a natural phenomenon.

yea the black hole was mentioned briefly, I was hoping the agent was an alien device and they would show up soon :(

Finally finished Dissent and the Supreme Court.

Wont be reading anymore 400+ page books for awhile...hopefully.

Dissent and the Supreme Court offers readers an in-depth take at the look at the power of the dissent in the Supreme Court over the course of United States history. Many of the cases covered in the book aren't ones that are uncommon to most people who were educated in the United States and potentially lived in the Southern United States. In any case, though we know the outcomes of many of the cases of the past, only those well versed in the language of United States law and justice probably knew the deep meaning behind some of the rulings. I found it highly invigorating and greatly educational of seeing how the power of the dissent played apart in helping to shape the future decisions of some of the landmark cases in expanding property rights, social rights, and even rights encompassing the right to privacy.

Favorite parts of the book involved those dealing with the personalities of the justices both those who were on the right side of history and those who were on the wrong side of history. Many of the justices made good points for their viewpoints that it can be seen how hard it would have been, living at the time, to not have close verdicts. Even those who would be on the wrong side (wrong side defined as being in the side who would be eventually overturned, or even ones who had supported cases like Plessy v Ferguson, or in the most recent times, Roe v Wade, and supporting the constitutionality of American internment camps, a few homosexuality opinions). The book highlighted that most of this was all due to pushing forward an agenda of getting dialogue flowing between the judicial, legislative system, and then the public. What seemed great was that they end up going in the direction of what the public eventually favors publicly. Though at times, it seemed the opinions would at times go against allowing the public to decide and the law decide social matters (as it seemed Scalia stated several times in the more recent portions of the book, or even other justices in regards to expanding rights or tackling affirmative action and more).

Personally the social rights issues were just as intriguing as those dealing with translating the power of the government from a constitutional statement into one of practicality. Seeing how the various justices interpreted the constitution made for really provacative statements to be made for many issues. Favorite personalities highlighted for their interpretation (that is also included how they could find the rights to say privacy or more in the Bill of Rights, or Articles, or Amendments) would be Holmes, Black, Brandeis, Frankfurter, Harlan, who all contributed greatly to the dialogue.

Weaknesses would probably be the lack of much focus on the present time with perhaps O'Connor receiving much of the attention for present cases, Scalia dissents for a bit more, and brief mention of Sotomayor. However that is most likely due to difficulty being able to identify if any dissents in the present time carries weight. For most of the people in the book, their powerful dissents didnt really come into play until after they had left the Supreme Court.

Really good read and well worth the time. The writer doesnt even push a political agenda like a few other books try to do keeping it fact oriented and letting the justices speak for themselves. I thought it was good.

Ashes

Banned
Finally finished Dissent and the Supreme Court.

Wont be reading anymore 400+ page books for awhile...hopefully.

Really good read and well worth the time. The writer doesnt even push a political agenda like a few other books try to do keeping it fact oriented and letting the justices speak for themselves. I thought it was good.

Sounds fascinating. Wish this wasn't a mammoth book. Got enough of those on my plate.

O.DOGG

Good question. First and foremost is The Long Ships. Also, The Stormlight Archives, First Law trilogy, Stoner, Ship of Fools, Hyperion, Drood, The Commonwealth Saga, The Heechee Saga, Pushing Ice, The Expanse, and so many more. ...

Vorkosigan Saga
Chalion Series
Southern Reach Trilogy
Ambergris Series
The Long Ships
Earthsea
A Little Life
The Golem and the Jinni
Americanah
Purple Hibiscus
The Quiet American
The Story of the Stone
The Last Unicorn
The Book of the New Sun

Well, looks like I found my next book.

Not really a regular because I read slow as shit, but I know my backlog of books to read has been pretty long for a while. Things I've read so far that I've really liked because of this thread though:

The Martian
The Mistborn Series
11/22/63(finally decided to read it because of a bookclub, but was on my list because of this thread)

I'd probably have a list of about 30 if I included the books I've bought because of this thread.

Mine is definitely "The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making." I picked that up because of the overwhelming recommendations here and absolutely loved it.

I'm happy to report that several others, such as Mistborn, Golem & Jinni, First Law Trilogy, were books/series I recommended and that people have enjoyed them.

I have several others in my to-read list or my wish list that have been GAF favorites, but I haven't gotten around to reading them yet.

Okay, Vorkosigan series question. The last one I read was Cryoburn, which I would consider to be one of the weaker entries in the series. I have Captain Vorpatril's Alliance on my wish list but haven't pulled the trigger on that. Anyone have opinions on that one? Is it a return to form? Is Miles even in it or does it focus on Ivan?

And now I see Amazon has Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen up for a pre-order for Feb 2016, though details are lacking.

survivor

Banned

Vorkosigan Saga
Ubik
Blood Meridian

I'm pretty sure I only picked up Kokoro and The Last Unicorn because of this thread. There is also Stoner which I read after seeing so many posts here about it.

I have lots of other books that I have on my backlog cause of this thread so this list will probably expand in another year.

SpaceHorror

The%20Shining%20book%20cover.png

Finally finished The Shining.

Really enjoyed it. I've been a fan of the film for years and still am, but the book is almost completely better. My favorite thing about the book compared to the movie (or hell, just in general) is
how Jack is a good guy with lots of demons at the start. Gotta agree with King that Jack Nicholson seemed crazy from the get go in the film. Maybe that was Kubrick's intention, but the book is more effective at portraying Jack's descent into madness because he feels like a real person. Watching a normal man who suffers from anger issues and alcoholism, but who loves his family and especially his son, slowly corrupted by the hotel is much more fascinating and scary than a dude who seems on the edge of sanity from the minute you meet him.

Not sure what I'm going to read next. Probably a few Harlan Ellison short stories until I decide on a novel.

Anyone have any King recommendations? Preferably his older stuff and something that's less than or around 500 pages. Don't feel like tackling the massive The Stand yet, or starting on a series like Dark Tower.

The%20Shining%20book%20cover.png

Finally finished The Shining.

Anyone have any King recommendations? Preferably his older stuff and something that's less than or around 500 pages. Don't feel like tackling the massive The Stand yet, or starting on a series like Dark Tower.

The Shining is an amazing book, and one could argue King's best novel. I loved the history of the Overlook, and could read a book just about it pre-Shining.

Over King books? salem's Lot might be my all-time favorite King novel, but I have a lot of nostalgia for it. Actually both book and mini-series wrapped my mind as a young child (I can not sleep with curtains open to this day). Also Cujo might be most underrated King book. Of course Pet Sematary is great too, and under 500 pages.

thomaser

Finished Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People. I'm doing my best to use the advice it gives, and when I do it, it actually works. But it all boils down to avoiding all arguments and never criticizing anyone for anything, so it can be difficult sometimes.

Now, I'm in the delicious predicament of not knowing which book to read next. I have 107 unread books in the shelf. Maybe Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles. Or Hesse's The Glass Bead Game or Lagerlöf's Gösta Berlings Saga. Or Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki by Murakami, Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel, The Little Friend by Donna Tartt, Hell's Angels by Hunter Thomson, Ebony by Kapuscinski...

Mumei

Finished Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People. I'm doing my best to use the advice it gives, and when I do it, it actually works. But it all boils down to avoiding all arguments and never criticizing anyone for anything, so it can be difficult sometimes.

Now, I'm in the delicious predicament of not knowing which book to read next. I have 107 unread books in the shelf. Maybe Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles. Or Hesse's The Glass Bead Game or Lagerlöf's Gösta Berlings Saga. Or Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki by Murakami, Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel, The Little Friend by Donna Tartt, Hell's Angels by Hunter Thomson, Ebony by Kapuscinski...

You should participate in this month's book club book, then!

besada

Banned
Carrie, The Dark Half. Both of those are shorter and representative of his earlier style. As a secondary recommendation, let me point you at Peter Straub's Koko, as an entry point into Straub's writing. Straub worked with King on Black House and The Talisman (also recommended), but his own stuff is darker and less concrete than King's horror. You're never quite sure if you stnd in the real world or some other place in Straub's fiction. He's much less well known than King, but highly respected, particularly by King himself.

You should participate in this month's book club book, then!
What is it this month?

mu cephei

Wrapped up Red Girls: The Legend of the Akakuchibas by Kazuki Sakuraba and thought it was pretty fantastic except for the last section of the book which was kinda ho-hum.

Now I'm marching into post apocalyptic Russia with The Slynx by Tatyana Tolstaya.

310722.jpg

Oh, thanks for reminding me about this book! I saw a review somewhere a while ago but totally forgot about it. I'd be interested to find out what you think of it when you're finished

Piecake

Not being able to read primary sources is a pretty fucking huge fundamental flaw. How the hell can you write with authority when you can't read the primary sources? I would be very surprised if the book was still used as a secondary source in historiography due to that fact.

I'm reading through Battle Royale right now. Thoroughly enjoying it so far. I've been meaning to read it since high school.

Next on the docket is Yukikaze.

Not being able to read primary sources is a pretty fucking huge fundamental flaw. How the hell can you write with authority when you can't read the primary sources? I would be very surprised if the book was still used as a secondary source in historiography due to that fact.

I can't speak for the entire series, but I know that when he wrote the first book, he mailed the relevant chapters to established experts in the various disciplines and asked for corrections and comments. He says as much in the foreword.

Of course the history is out of date. The first book came out like 80 years ago. But it's a very well-written series that weaves together many different disciplines in order to create a portrait of history that is vivid, multidimensional, and interesting. It's a much better, more intellectually satisfying version of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - a good story full of many interesting facts that will hopefully stoke people into taking an interest in some of the subjects it tackles.

Piecake

One of the criticisms of Durant is that he was too reliant on primary sources and took them too much at face value. So... ???

Looking at it further, I am going to retract that criticism since I assumed that it was talking about our world history due to the title and how I interpreted Mumei's response to my post. When I was talking about that 10k page book, I was talking about a world history book. That is what I assumed that the Durant's 15k page book did as well then. Obviously, it is definitely possible to learn all of the significant languages in the Western sphere. I thought the book was the whole world history, which is just impossible for one person.

So yea, my bad.

About 3/4s of the way through Under The Dome. As a massive fan of his work I'm finding this one tough to get through, it seems really bloated to me. His other big works like The Stand, IT etc were fine. Did anyone else feel like this?

Top Bottom