• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2015)

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Saw an interesting question on Reddit that I wanted to run by you brilliant folks here: What are your favorite lesser known works from well known authors?

Good question and a bit of a struggle to really think of some.

First one that comes to mind would be Peter S Beagle's The Folk of the Air, which is kind of a slice of life that falls slowly into magic and gods, featuring Joe Farrell, a recurring character from his short stories. (Though this is easy for Beagle, as anything that isn't The Last Unicorn is lesser known to the point of no one knowing.)

uceenk

just finished to read Hedge Knight, Sword Sword, Mystery Knight, the Princess and the Queen, Rogue Knight in last 2 weeks

now i'm reading World of Ice and Fire

Peru

Saw an interesting question on Reddit that I wanted to run by you brilliant folks here: What are your favorite lesser known works from well known authors?

Villette by Charlotte Bronte is my favorite novel, period, if I'm asked to name one - and at least vastly less known and read than Jane Eyre.

Nymerio

Forward momentum:

5073783.jpg

68483.jpg

besada

Banned
Apparently it's in the air. After taking a break from the Vor saga, I read Cetaganda last night and started Ethan of Ethos this morning.

I've also recently read The Martian, which I enjoyed, with some caveats.

Cade

Apparently it's in the air. After taking a break from the Vor saga, I read Cetaganda last night and started Ethan of Ethos this morning.

I've also recently read The Martian, which I enjoyed, with some caveats.

where do you fall on the which-did-you-not-like: Science vs Humor debate, besada

the people want to know

514C8aVV4gL.jpg

I've been reading this and it's equal amounts architect history lesson and horror.

It's about how the 1893 world fair came to be and who was involved in it along with the disturbing story of serial killer H.H. Holmes and his prolific career as a serial killer.

This guy erected an entire building designed as a murder house.

A MURDER HOUSE.

The book is absolutely spellbinding and enthralling whilst capturing the excitement and pageantry of the fair, high life in high society and delving deep into the mind and history of a serial killer.

The serial killer parts are fascinating in a sort of HOW DID ANYBODY NOT NOTICE HOW CREEPY THIS MOTHERFUCKER WAS OR HIS MURDER HOUSE.

I'm maybe a little over halfway through, and it's a fantastic read. Highly recommended.

I also am reading Farmhouse Ales by Phil Markowski, and a few chapters deep into the final Avery Cates book, The Final Evolution by Jeff Somers(if you love cyberpunk check out his work! It's fantastic).

Sullichin

Any Stephen King fans in here read Finders Keepers yet?
I really liked Mr. Mercedes and I bought this to read next. But i'm in the middle of Revival right now. Revival is good but a little slow, and fairly depressing.

besada

Banned
where do you fall on the which-did-you-not-like: Science vs Humor debate, besada

the people want to know

I didn't have a problem with the science at all, but I read a lot of hard science fiction, so I enjoy big gobs of science. The humor was mostly okay, but occasionally dipped into Cline levels of fanservice, most notably the coinage of the pirate-ninja measurement. It think it had a structural weakness in that the only way to generate drama for Watney was the continual cycle of something breaks/Watney improvises, which is the heart of the book, but becomes a little repetitive.

It's not the best "stranded" science fiction story I've read, but it was entertaining and I think it will make a good movie.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I didn't have a problem with the science at all, but I read a lot of hard science fiction, so I enjoy big gobs of science. The humor was mostly okay, but occasionally dipped into Cline levels of fanservice, most notably the coinage of the pirate-ninja measurement. It think it had a structural weakness in that the only way to generate drama for Watney was the continual cycle of something breaks/Watney improvises, which is the heart of the book, but becomes a little repetitive.

It's not the best "stranded" science fiction story I've read, but it was entertaining and I think it will make a good movie.

This was, by far, the worst part of the book.

I'd recommend Agent to the Stars by John Scalzi. It's not part of his Old Man's War series and I think it was self published at one point before getting picked up. I liked it quite a bit.

Cade

By far the worst part of the book. Thanks for the writeup, though! It's one of the more divisive books that most of WAYR-GAF has read and I always like reading opinions on it.

What IS the best stranded sci-fi book you've read? :O

EDIT: Aidan pls stop plagiarizing my posts from the future

Mumei

Wow, so much Vorkosigan love!

All the warm fuzzies. <3

Put A Little Life in my cart after reading this thread. Time to face the hype

Oh. You know, I forgot to mention this before, but I learned the term "free indirect speech" from one of your posts a couple months ago, which actually gave me a label for the sort of narrative style used there.

Peru

Any one know what version of Middlemarch should I get on the uk Kindle store, don't want to pick the wrong one.

I only own a physical copy.. but are any of them annotated? It's not vital, and actually I didn't look at notes the first time I read and loved it, but doesn't hurt either with a book rich with references to society's then developing changes.

Oh. You know, I forgot to mention this before, but I learned the term "free indirect speech" from one of your posts a couple months ago, which actually gave me a label for the sort of narrative style used there.

Neat. So I can draw a line from Austen to my newest purchase.

Dresden

Have you ever read James Wood's 'How fiction works'? Good discussion of it there, and short, too.

thomaser

Do you have an account on Goodreads? Are we already friends? I have forgotten who multiple people are here on GAF, so it's possible. You should add me, if you do and we aren't.

I am on Goodreads, but I'm afraid I haven't used it in a very long time. Added you now!

9789100107420.jpg

Ended up starting Gösta Berlings Saga by Selma Lagerlöf. She was the first woman to win the Nobel prize in literature.

I'm Norwegian, but decided to buy a version of this book in the original Swedish language. Maybe it sounds strange to others, but for many Norwegians, including myself, Swedish sounds very cosy and friendly. Probably because all of us grew up watching films by Astrid Lindgren, narrated by herself. This book by Lagerlöf has the same comforting feeling to it, even though its content is often tragic. The language just feels warm and nice. I'd like an old Swedish lady to read this book to me...

Mumei

I only own a physical copy.. but are any of them annotated? It's not vital, and actually I didn't look at notes the first time I read and loved it, but doesn't hurt either with a book rich with references to society's then developing changes.

Have you read any of Harvard's Belknap Press annotated editions? I ask because I know how much you like Austen, and they have a bunch of annotated editions for her books, though I've only read the Pride and Prejudice. I sort of wish I hadn't, actually, because it was my first time reading P&P and I think that I found the experience a bit distracting.

Neat. So I can draw a line from Austen to my newest purchase.

It's rather thin gruel for a connection, but it does work.

ryseing

Guns-Germs-and-Steel-290275.jpg

heard good things about this... though i need to do more research on the author.

There are many, many issues with Diamond's methodology. I had to read GGS for a sociology class and was not impressed. The core idea seems logical but does not hold up to scrutiny.

Red Rising is the perfect summer novel. Entertaining throughout and enough twists to keep you interested. I love the Gattaca infused setting.

Mumei

There are many, many issues with Diamond's methodology. I had to read GGS for a sociology class and was not impressed. The core idea seems logical but does not hold up to scrutiny.

I haven't read GGS, but I have heard that there were criticisms about his methodology and it put me off wanting to read it. What were the issues with it?

Have you ever read James Wood's 'How fiction works'? Good discussion of it there, and short, too.

I have not!

I am on Goodreads, but I'm afraid I haven't used it in a very long time. Added you now!

Prepare your e-mail inbox. <3

jakomocha

I hope this thread is the right place for this question...

I have to read two books for summer reading this year (I'm in high school). I've already started one (Ready Player One, a book I know much of GAF isn't fond of but I find it pretty enjoyable overall, although I'm not quite sure why it is one of the summer reading options) but I still need to pick another. I don't really like summer reading because I much prefer reading on my own and I recently picked up A Clash of Kings, Dune, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Fables: Volume 1 (as well as 2 and 3) and Batman: Hush, all of which I really want to read (especially Clash of Kings because I just finished AGOT) but I need to finish my summer reading first :/.

Ranting aside, is Wuthering Heights any good? It was one of my mom's favorite books when she was my age and it is one of the options. Alternatively, I was thinking of reading The Secret Life of Bees (another choice), so I got a copy on my Kindle, but I saw the movie a while ago and I vaguely remember what happens. Some other choices I'm interested in are All the Bright Places, We Were Liars, I'll Give You the Sun, The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To, The Kite Runner, and The Secret History. What are your recommendations of all these books GAF?
Thanks!

survivor

Banned
Finished reading The Martian, didn't like it that much. The main problem I had is all the Mark Watney sections were a chore to read. Sure some of his humour made some passages bearable, but constant stream of technical engineering accomplishments and whatnot isn't exciting at all. Maybe if the writing was something special then I might be more absorbed into it, but in generally I was just counting the pages till the narrative switches back to Earth.

Still for what it's worth I think the movie would be solid. The material presented would actually make for a great movie given competent direction. But it just didn't work out as a novel.

Decided to join the book club thing and started reading A Little Life. About 10% into it so I don't have much to say about it.

Mumei

I have to read two books for summer reading this year (I'm in high school). I've already started one (Ready Player One, a book I know much of GAF isn't fond of but I find it pretty enjoyable overall, although I'm not quite sure why it is one of the summer reading options) but I still need to pick another. I don't really like summer reading because I much prefer reading on my own and I recently picked up A Clash of Kings, Dune, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Fables: Volume 1 (as well as 2 and 3) and Batman: Hush, all of which I really want to read (especially Clash of Kings because I just finished AGOT) but I need to finish my summer reading first :/.

Ranting aside, is Wuthering Heights any good? It was one of my mom's favorite books when she was my age and it is one of the options. Alternatively, I was thinking of reading The Secret Life of Bees (another choice), so I got a copy on my Kindle, but I saw the movie a while ago and I vaguely remember what happens. Some other choices I'm interested in are All the Bright Places, We Were Liars, I'll Give You the Sun, The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To, The Kite Runner, and The Secret History. What are your recommendations of all these books GAF?
Thanks!

You are in the right place, though I haven't read any of the books that you've listed as your options. I've heard good things about Wuthering Heights, The Kite Runner, and The Secret History, but I couldn't endorse those myself.

What grade are you in?

Dresden

Thanks!

Kite Runner is pretty good.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Finished Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People. I'm doing my best to use the advice it gives, and when I do it, it actually works. But it all boils down to avoiding all arguments and never criticizing anyone for anything, so it can be difficult sometimes.

Now, I'm in the delicious predicament of not knowing which book to read next. I have 107 unread books in the shelf. Maybe Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles. Or Hesse's The Glass Bead Game or Lagerlöf's Gösta Berlings Saga. Or Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki by Murakami, Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel, The Little Friend by Donna Tartt, Hell's Angels by Hunter Thomson, Ebony by Kapuscinski...

I just started How to Win Friends and Influence people. Def gonna try and finish it by tomorrow. Also just finished 11/22/63 last night. Man such a fun book. Those 700+ pages went by quick. Such a well paced book though now I can see why people didn't like the ending. Seemed kinda insane but overall I loved it.

Mumei

was the sixth, consistency, also published, or is this the full thing?

I believe it is the full thing, but in either case he passed away before completing Consistency; this is mentioned right before the Contents page:

"My husband had finished writing these five lectures by September 1985, at the moment of departure for the United States and Harvard University. Of course, these are the lectures Calvino would have read - Patrick Creagh was in the process of translating them - and he would certainly have revised them before their publication as a book by Harvard University Press. But I do not think there would have been major changes: the difference between the first versions I read and the final ones lies in structure, not content. Calvino wanted to call the sixth lecture "Consistency," and he planned to write it in Cambridge. I found the others, all in perfect order, in the Italian original, on his writing desk ready to be put into his suitcase."

Peru

Ranting aside, is Wuthering Heights any good? It was one of my mom's favorite books when she was my age and it is one of the options.
Thanks!

Go for it! It's a genuinely harrowing, surprising piece of literature even today. Cast away old-fashioned ideas about 'likeable characters' (I've seen too many complain they can't find any here) and embrace the chaos and destructive powers of this universe. Besides, they're unlikeable for a reason. I'll leave it to someone better to wax poetic:

Virginia Woolf said:
There is love, but it is not the love of men and women. Emily was inspired by some more general conception. The impulse which urged her to create was not her own suffering or her own injuries. She looked out upon a world cleft into gigantic disorder and felt within her the power to unite it in a book. That gigantic ambition is to be felt throughout the novel &#8212; a struggle, half thwarted but of superb conviction, to say something through the mouths of her characters which is not merely &#8220;I love&#8221; or &#8220;I hate&#8221;, but &#8220;we, the whole human race&#8221; and &#8220;you, the eternal powers . . . &#8221; the sentence remains unfinished. It is not strange that it should be so; rather it is astonishing that she can make us feel what she had it in her to say at all.

Have you read any of Harvard's Belknap Press annotated editions? I ask because I know how much you like Austen, and they have a bunch of annotated editions for her books, though I've only read the Pride and Prejudice. I sort of wish I hadn't, actually, because it was my first time reading P&P and I think that I found the experience a bit distracting.

It's rather thin gruel for a connection, but it does work.

Hey I'll take any excuse.

I haven't tried out those. Looking at them they look pretty, though. I'll consider them in the future. For super annotated editions I've mostly stuck to the Norton Critical Editions (which have not been aesthetically pleasing, but improved their design recently). I can see where you're coming from - it's probably better to re-read a beloved book this way than to have your first experience with it. The standard Oxford and Penguin classics have their annotations at the back, of course, and so you can choose to go there only if you want an explanation. I sometimes see people complain in reviews about, say, French, being used and not translated in older books, but if they put down a dollar more to upgrade their no-brand edition to Oxford or Penguin they can at least refer to the translations in the notes.

The thing about Oxford and Penguin is the quality of the extra content can vary wildly. I've found super enlightening introductions and genuinely poor ones. Sometimes I just go by the cover design if I don't know the scholar.

Stasis

Dunno if its been mentioned, and if so I'm bumping it, but Michael J. Sullivan has a kickstarter up so he can self publish a 6th Riyria novel while his other (already completed) series of 5 releases over the next few years. I learned of his works in this thread, several OTs back, so I figured I'd post about it.

Just a genuinely nice guy who takes the time to talk to all of his fans and give status updates continually. The Riyria novels are great. If you know them, back it! If you don't, read the first and then back it! You have a week, lol. This may sound like a shill, but really he's just one of the good guys and I think he and his awesome work deserve all the promotion they can get. And he needs more exposure because that series was seriously fantastic.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/michaeljsullivan/new-riyria-fantasy-novel-the-death-of-dulgath

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished book 14 of the wheel of time.

fucking hell. that was the longest series I ever read. what a marathon.

It was

awesome
pretty cool
I think I'm bored
yep bored
fucking finish it anyway why not
brandon sanderson
FUCK YEAH!!!!

I'm glad I read it and the last 3 books were solid. the final book which is just pretty much a massive battle and really really long was pretty cool. satisfied with the ending.

Pretty much the opposite of a stephen king experience actually.

514C8aVV4gL.jpg

I've been reading this and it's equal amounts architect history lesson and horror.

It's about how the 1893 world fair came to be and who was involved in it along with the disturbing story of serial killer H.H. Holmes and his prolific career as a serial killer.

This guy erected an entire building designed as a murder house.

A MURDER HOUSE.

The book is absolutely spellbinding and enthralling whilst capturing the excitement and pageantry of the fair, high life in high society and delving deep into the mind and history of a serial killer.

The serial killer parts are fascinating in a sort of HOW DID ANYBODY NOT NOTICE HOW CREEPY THIS MOTHERFUCKER WAS OR HIS MURDER HOUSE.

I'm maybe a little over halfway through, and it's a fantastic read. Highly recommended.

I also am reading Farmhouse Ales by Phil Markowski, and a few chapters deep into the final Avery Cates book, The Final Evolution by Jeff Somers(if you love cyberpunk check out his work! It's fantastic).

Im going through this book as well, 200 Pages in, cant recommend it enough.

"The Story of Civilization" is absolutely worth reading for the high quality of the writing, alone.

Totally agree. Will Durant (and his wife Ariel) could just write. It's some of the best prose I've ever read in history writing. He's not a rigorous academic historian but he does a great job uniting broad strokes of history.

I've read the first two volumes and I'm using the series as a jumping off point to read other stuff, including classics. (Next up: The Upanishads, Herodotus, and Thucydides).

He has a sharp wit and is incredibly quotable. He connects history with his present, but it's stuff that still resonates so many decades later.

Some quotes from Life of Greece:

"...the musician, like other artists, belongs to a profession that has had the honor of starving in every generation."

On Socrates: "All in all he was fortunate: he lived without working, read without writing, taught without routine, drank without dizziness, and died before senility, almost without pain."

"...the goddess of liberty is no friend to the goddess of equality...under the free laws of Athens the strong grow stronger, the rich richer, while the poor remain poor. Individualism stimulates the able, and degrades the simple; it creates wealth magnificently, and concentrates it dangerously. In Athens, as in other states, cleverness gets all it can, and mediocrity gets the rest."

Finished reading The Martian, didn't like it that much. The main problem I had is all the Mark Watney sections were a chore to read. Sure some of his humour made some passages bearable, but constant stream of technical engineering accomplishments and whatnot isn't exciting at all. Maybe if the writing was something special then I might be more absorbed into it, but in generally I was just counting the pages till the narrative switches back to Earth.

Yeah, you certainly need to have a certain appreciation for the technial part to enjoy it. That said, I enjoy xkcd's humor so it was perfect for me.

I read this many moons ago (I actual purchased the hardback when it originally came out), and I remember prefering the stuff about constructing the World's Fair over the serial killer stuff. I became a big fan of Olmsted because of this book.

Also Larson's Isaac's Storm is pretty amazing too.

Ultima_5

I'm currently reading through Judd Apatows book "Sick in the Head" which is a collection of his interviews with various comedians over the last 30 years. It's pretty interesting. A good portion of the standups he interviews took place back in the 80s when he was in high school. I like it alot when he goes back to reinterview people (seinfeld for instance) and you get to see the change of perspective or their opinion on their success

The quality of the interviews varies. Some are pretty entertaining, and others are kinda meh. I've only skipped one interview so far because it was kinda boring.

I recommend it for any comedy nerds out there.I haven't finished it, but it's amazing how many talented people he was able to get in the book. Literally everyone you would want to hear from is featured.

Next week is the to kill a mockingbird sequel. stoked

Totally agree. Will Durant (and his wife Ariel) could just write. It's some of the best prose I've ever read in history writing. He's not a rigorous academic historian but he does a great job uniting broad strokes of history.

Agreed. Barbara Tuchman comes to mind as well, as does (to a lesser extent) David McCullough...

Fmal

Banned
Steelheart is okay so far (I'm only 20% thru) but:

1.) What's the deal with the fake swear words?
2.) Do they ever explain why the people with super powers bother giving themselves superhero names?

Piecake

What the sparks are you talking about?

I think that is my most hated fake wear word of all time. I mean, at least the others I've come across make some sort of sense in the context of the world, but sparks? Where the hell did that come from?

While reading the Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, I got pretty sick of seeing "'Kent-kissing" flung around every other word. It does make sense in the world given that Meshkent is the name of the god of pain. But it's still irksome.

A very enjoyable series otherwise. Third book isn't due out until next year unfortunately. But the second is one of the best books I've read this year so far.

Cade

What's the other thing, the one they call each other all the time that sounds slur-ish enough to make me vaguely uncomfortable? Can't remember it. My memory's gone to sparks.

9wXsWuz.jpg

“He was a murderer and a rapist. He was crazy and unstable and wanted to possess me, body and soul, but when he made love to me, I couldn't stop myself from wanting it. He'd taken everything from me and I was messed up enough to keep giving him more.”

That statement from the book pretty much sums up the two main characters' story for me. I'm not sure what's more messed up: the book, or me being twisted enough to ....enjoy it?

Started reading Understanding Nonviolence. Odd that they are unable to determine a definition for what is nonviolence (is acting in self defense still nonviolence, or things that disrupt daily life etc (hospital workers on strike for example)). Though Im only 35 pages in perhaps a future chapter goes into more detail about these things.

Jag

A good portion of the standups he interviews took place back in the 80s when he was in high school.

I worked with him at that radio station when we were in high school. He was a year older than me, but the funniest, driven, most sarcastic person I had ever met. Never surprised me how successful he became in comedy.

My wife tried to find a book for me to read yesterday and grabbed The Trouble with Dilbert: How Corporate Culture Gets the Last Laugh. I made it about halfway through the first paragraph before I had to check the publication date (1997) and realized that the ideas were definitely a product of their time. Also, the arguments were specious at best. The first review on Amazon says it better than I can:

1) IT CRITIQUES THE STRIP ONLY INDIRECTLY. Most of the author's arguments discuss only the strip in general or on the cartoonist's views from his non-strip books. I only recall one direct "quote" of a Dilbert strip in the whole book.
2) WEAK ARGUMENTS. One of the books central arguments, for instance, is that the strip never attacks owners, just upper management in the form of the "Pointy Haired Boss." Now, anyone who reads the strip knows that the Boss can be anything from a lowly supervisor to the CEO depending on the gag. And besides that, I can think of several strips off the top of my head that directly attacked stupid, unfair owners.
3) IT'S A THIN, THIN POLEMIC. Readers will note the author is far more interested in talking politics than Dilbert itself. In fact, I suspect that he simply centered the book around Dilbert simply to attract attention and sell more copies, meaning he's guilty of the same shameless marketing he accuses Addams of.
4) IT'S FUNNY AS A CRUTCH! A good critic of humor should at least convey the idea that he understands humor. But this guy is as dry as plain toast. You walk away wondering if he even has a concept of humor.
Nothing in the first chapter made me think the author had a clue what he was talking about. It read more like a self-pulished screen or manifesto than anything else. I gave up and don't feel at all bad about it.

Top Bottom