• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (June 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
516W7dqBAKL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Good stuff. Slow to start, but really, really good. 70's NYC, all sort of centered around the event of the guy tightroping between the unfinished World Trade Center towers. Hookers, drugs, monks, Park Avenue penthouses, graffiti - you name it.

ShaneB

Reading this now, another short read, and enjoying it so far, so I think I'll finish it pretty quickly. From what it seems I'm sure tears will be shed as well.

ccf_120911.jpeg

I'm not enjoying Wyrd Sisters at all. I don't know what's happening; I loved Macbeth, and Mort was pretty entertaining.

This, however, has been fun (just started really):

The-Norse-Myths-9780394748467.jpg

(Kevin Crossley Holland's The Norse Myths)

I'm really running out of steam reading The black prism by Brent Weeks. I'm maybe halfway through. I don't know if I should put it on hold and start with Magician by Raymond Feist.

Has anyone read both and can comment on whether the second half of the black prism gets better?

Not sure this counts but I really enjoyed Magician and considered Weeks' Night Angel trilogy to be solid but not as memorable. Haven't read The Black Prism and really not anticipating doing so either.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
15783514.jpg

Once or twice, I heard Gaiman's Stardust described as fantasy for adults because it had all of one awkward (but still titillating) sex scene. I used to agree with that sentiment, but now I think otherwise.

When you were young, you probably started to read with Redwall or Harry Potter. Then, in your teen years, you develop the rebellious attitude shared by all teens and search for something "darker" and "grittier". Here is where you start reading things like Sword of Truth or Dresden Files. Once you become a legal adult (or close to one), you realize you had no taste as a kid and you start reading "real books", sometimes abandoning genre fiction entirely. Maybe a little further you get your head out of your ass and go back to fantasy/sci-fi with a fresh, unprejudiced eye and you start appreciating novels like Pratchett's Night Watch for what they are, "real" topics disguised as children's novels.

With The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Gaiman takes this progression one step further, into a territory I did not know existed.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane is about a man, in his 40s, reminiscing about the time he was a protagonist in a typical Gaiman novel. However, unlike Tristran Thorn, Richard Mayhew, Shadow or Fat Charlie, the protagonist of The Ocean at the End of the Lane was only 7 at the time of his encounter with Gaiman's trademark "world behind the world". For this reason, and others, there were a two key differences between him and Gaiman's other sameplot protagonists:

1) He readily accepted that he was entering some kind of fantasy story, instead of being incredulous for half the book, seamlessly melding the fantasy world with his reality in a way only children are capable of. This is exemplary of the idea of "childhood innocence", which, honestly, is more believable than the skepticism of fictional adults when confronted with the strange and unreal.

2) He didn't have some kind of destiny given to him by birthright to fulfill. For him, it was just another faded childhood memory, which eventually blurred into all his other childhood memories but nevertheless served to shape the man who he would become. This is consistent with reality, because we all share vaguely remember childhood memories that, when examined closely, were probably responsible for our becoming who we are now.

Though the story is told from the perspective of a child, its real purpose is to highlight the differences between the way a child experiences the world and the way an adult experiences it. This is why framing story exists, without which The Ocean at the End of the Lane would probably fall firmly under YA like The Graveyard Book. Through this contrast, however, Gaiman makes the reader aware of the kinds of things they lost and gained on their way to adulthood. The Ocean at the End of the Lane is more about adulthood than most other stories (especially Gaiman's other stories) I've ever read. I would go so far as to say that this is the only book I know that tries to convey what it means to be an adult, rather than being a childhood fantasy wrapped up and decorated with "adult" flavorings.

One of the main reasons Gaiman is my favorite author is because whenever I finish one of his stories, I tend to undergo a period of reflection on my reality and whether it may be overlaying a more fantastic reality like the ones Gaiman crafts. This book went beyond that, and made me question whether my enjoyment of Gaiman's previous novels (and others) was because of my "maturing tastes", or because I was trying to recapture my childhood and trying to escape further from reality as I know it.

tl;dr: The Ocean at the End of the Lane is good, but I would not recommend it to anyone unless they were:

a) A fan of Gaiman's particular kind of prose.

b) In need of a literary existential crisis.

EDIT: And, despite being exceptionally short, it is probably more dense and meaningful than most other fantasy/magic realism stories. Because really, to a child's eyes, every fantasy story is magic realism.

Haly

Wyrd Sisters is simple.

1) Stories have power
2) Evil uncle is trying to use stories against witches.
3) Witches turn stories against him (because evil never triumphs in stories)

It's really about media, propaganda, and how people are always looking for ways to satisfy their own prejudices about life through stories.

Definitely not the best Witches novel though. That title goes to Witches Abroad.

Jintor

I've always been partial to Lords and Ladies, myself. I appreciated Carpe Jugulum a lot more on a second or third read, though.

Haly

I rate the stories based on how memorable they are and this...

Witches Abroad said:
“Where am I?”
INSIDE THE MIRROR.
“Am I dead?”
THE ANSWER TO THAT, said Death, IS SOMEWHERE BETWEEN NO AND YES.
Esme turned, and a billion figures turned with her.
“When can I get out?”
WHEN YOU FIND THE ONE THAT’S REAL.
“Is this a trick question?”
NO.
Granny looked down at herself.
“This one,” she said.

...is the...

Reaper Man said:
LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

...of the witches books.

Mumei

I read the first trade volume of Lucifer last year, but didn't get around to reading any more of it even though I did like it. I reread that yesterday and now I'm reading the second volume. Lucifer is a lot of fun. He's basically Paradise Lost Lucifer placed in a comic series.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm reading Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch. It's quite interesting.

One of my favorites ever.

Anyway, I was re-reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance but I stopped halfway through (I really suck at revisiting books, there's only a couple I will read through more than once). The Ocean at the End of the Lane should be in my hands early next week though, so I'm waiting for it to arrive to resume my reading. Can't wait, most impression's I've seen are really positive, although I'm a bit let down by the book's length.

Finished Caliban's War (loved it!) and started Abbadon's Gate this morning. What a great opening. I can't wait to read more.

If I liked Leviathan Wakes all the way up to the part it jumped the shark (
space zombies from some virus???
) would I like Caliban's War? I stopped reading after the 1st book b/c I thought it could only get worse from there.

) would I like Caliban's War? I stopped reading after the 1st book b/c I thought it could only get worse from there.

Totally
Those exact things barely show up at all in Caliban's War.

Ceebs

15783514.jpg

Once or twice, I heard Gaiman's Stardust described as fantasy for adults because it had all of one awkward (but still titillating) sex scene. I used to agree with that sentiment, but now I think otherwise.

When you were young, you probably started to read with Redwall or Harry Potter. Then, in your teen years, you develop the rebellious attitude shared by all teens and search for something "darker" and "grittier". Here is where you start reading things like Sword of Truth or Dresden Files. Once you become a legal adult (or close to one), you realize you had no taste as a kid and you start reading "real books", sometimes abandoning genre fiction entirely. Maybe a little further you get your head out of your ass and go back to fantasy/sci-fi with a fresh, unprejudiced eye and you start appreciating novels like Pratchett's Night Watch for what they are, "real" topics disguised as children's novels.

With The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Gaiman takes this progression one step further, into a territory I did not know existed.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane is about a man, in his 40s, reminiscing about the time he was a protagonist in a typical Gaiman novel. However, unlike Tristran Thorn, Richard Mayhew, Shadow or Fat Charlie, the protagonist of The Ocean at the End of the Lane was only 7 at the time of his encounter with Gaiman's trademark "world behind the world". For this reason, and others, there were a two key differences between him and Gaiman's other sameplot protagonists:

1) He readily accepted that he was entering some kind of fantasy story, instead of being incredulous for half the book, seamlessly melding the fantasy world with his reality in a way only children are capable of. This is exemplary of the idea of "childhood innocence", which, honestly, is more believable than the skepticism of fictional adults when confronted with the strange and unreal.

2) He didn't have some kind of destiny given to him by birthright to fulfill. For him, it was just another faded childhood memory, which eventually blurred into all his other childhood memories but nevertheless served to shape the man who he would become. This is consistent with reality, because we all share vaguely remember childhood memories that, when examined closely, were probably responsible for our becoming who we are now.

Though the story is told from the perspective of a child, its real purpose is to highlight the differences between the way a child experiences the world and the way an adult experiences it. This is why framing story exists, without which The Ocean at the End of the Lane would probably fall firmly under YA like The Graveyard Book. Through this contrast, however, Gaiman makes the reader aware of the kinds of things they lost and gained on their way to adulthood. The Ocean at the End of the Lane is more about adulthood than most other stories (especially Gaiman's other stories) I've ever read. I would go so far as to say that this is the only book I know that tries to convey what it means to be an adult, rather than being a childhood fantasy wrapped up and decorated with "adult" flavorings.

One of the main reasons Gaiman is my favorite author is because whenever I finished one of my stories, I tend to undergo a period of reflection on my reality and whether it may be overlaying a more fantastic reality like the ones Gaiman crafts. This book went beyond that, and made me question whether my enjoyment of Gaiman's previous novels (and others) was because of my "maturing tastes", or because I was trying to recapture my childhood and trying to escape further from reality as I know it.

tl;dr: The Ocean at the End of the Lane is good, but I would not recommend it to anyone unless they were:

a) A fan of Gaiman's particular kind of prose.

b) In need of a literary existential crisis.

EDIT: And, despite being exceptionally short, it is probably more dense and meaningful than most other fantasy/magic realism stories. Because really, to a child's eyes, every fantasy story is magic realism.

Did it way more justice than I could. I still think anyone would get some enjoyment out of the fairy tale aspect even if they are not a fan of Gaiman.

nimbus

Banned
QZE0PST.gif

Yeah, the cover was desseminated as a gif.

Had it signed too in when he spoke in San Francisco. It was an awkward event, but he feeds on that it seemed.

NekoFever

Finished up Hyperion last night. Feels slow and almost plodding at times, but it's wonderfully written. It takes a certain amount of hubris to decide you're going to write the Canterbury Tales in space, but Simmons pulls it off. My only real problem is that it's incomplete--it cuts off right at the part you most want to know what happens next.
So is The Canterbury Tales ;)

ShaneB

Totally

Heh, while I don't really agree on that "jumping the shark"
I found the word "vomit zombies" silly, but then I just realized it's exactly what I'd call it as well if I were in that situation
but what Mak said is accurate. That stuff is really only in LW, and Caliban's War and Abaddon's Gate do go much more in depth with what is going on and seem quite grander in scale.

edit: started this on my lunch break...

41VVLsKGX6L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
Great opening, and I'm hooked already.

Totally

Heh, while I don't really agree on that "jumping the shark"
I found the word "vomit zombies" silly, but then I just realized it's exactly what I'd call it as well if I were in that situation
but what Mak said is accurate. That stuff is really only in LW, and Caliban's War and Abaddon's Gate do go much more in depth with what is going on and seem quite grander in scale.

Thanks for the info, guys. Looks like I'll be reading Caliban's War soon. I've been craving an entertaining page-turner for summer.

Narag

Grub Line Rider by Louis L'Amour

Glad I ended up giving the L'Amour stuff a chance. Simple Western adventure stuff but they keep me engaged well enough. This was another short story collection but had some characters from other stories appearing in it giving his Wild West a level of cohesion I didn't expect.

The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

This was much more enjoyable than the first which I didn't care that much for. Probably due to the character relationships and introspection going on rather than reading like a videogame novelization.

Hitchhiker's Guide
I owned it twice, borrowed it at least three times from the library over the course of 10 years, never finished it. But dammit I'll finish it by the end of the month because that's when I have to return it.

Also got The Road
200px-The-road.jpg

Saw the movie, saw my brother play Last of Us, I am intrigued to see how the novel compares to the two.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really running out of steam reading The black prism by Brent Weeks. I'm maybe halfway through. I don't know if I should put it on hold and start with Magician by Raymond Feist.

Has anyone read both and can comment on whether the second half of the black prism gets better?

If you're half way through and don't care for it then you might as well give up. Brent Weeks has never been a particularly good writer and Black Prism is his best. The sequel is crap, too.

thomaser

Finished the first two books of Murakami's "1Q84". Really, really liked it. Up there with his best in my opinion. Looking forward to the third book, but I'll read this one first:

9789118811821_200

"Ett Drömspel" (A Dream Play) by August Strindberg. I'm a few pages in, and don't understand much. Surreal and bewildering, but that's to be expected when it's based on the concept of dreams. Everything seems symbolic, but symbolic of what? It's probably necessary to read it several times to get an understanding of it
or read the Wiki-page...

FiRez

So /lit/ recommended this when I said I wanted to read something about human struggle/solitude along the lines of The old man and the sea, The Plague, The Fountainhead, The Myth of Sisyphus, etc...

I'm at 8% and I think they trolled me good, this feels like Gossip Girl :/

effzee

I know its Dan Brown...but I picked up Inferno (ebook)

Little background. Da Vinci Code I really really liked. I know its not the best written book but the premise, puzzle solving, and fast pace had me hooked.

Similarly liked Angels and Demons. Actually that was the better book between the two.

Then I started reading better books. Didn't think I would like the Lost Symbol but read it anyway and sure enough I thought it was mediocre at best.

With all that said, Inferno, while still using the tired Robert Langdon plot and formula, is much better than the Lost Symbol. Its still a fast paced thriller with so so writing but this one actually had me hooked. Maybe its cause I was recently in Florence and I could picture everything. Not the best book you will ever read but good. Hopefully last of the Langdon adventures.

Empty

So /lit/ recommended this when I said I wanted to read something about human struggle/solitude along the lines of The old man and the sea, The Plague, The Fountainhead, The Myth of Sisyphus, etc...

I'm at 8% and I think they trolled me good, this feels like Gossip Girl :/

the new york section is only about 15-20% of the book. i don't know how much you'll enjoy it as the book has a pretty coherent voice, if you find the protagonist bratty now you'll probably find her bratty near the end, but it soon moves away from disaffected youth at new york fashion mag parties into something more isolated and typical of the books you list.

Mew2

Neo Member
Just about to start reading this

It's a lady friend's favorite

herbertdune.gif

*BTW I don't have this version...I have a very old version haha

I've recently read Red Harvest, which I enjoyed considerably and wish would get a satisfactory mini-series or TV movie. Currently working on hard-boiled crime fiction; I'm now reading The Postman Always Rings Twice, which is pulpy yet low-key in all the right ways (surprisingly sunny for noir).
The part where they fake the car crash? Very erotic and, I think, disturbing, since there's some implied racism on the girl's part

Dresden

Finished up Hyperion last night. Feels slow and almost plodding at times, but it's wonderfully written. It takes a certain amount of hubris to decide you're going to write the Canterbury Tales in space, but Simmons pulls it off. My only real problem is that it's incomplete--it cuts off right at the part you most want to know what happens next.

I vaguely remember reading about how Hyperion was split in two to make releasing it a more palatable prospect for the publisher. Hence, the somewhat tacked-on POV in Fall of Hyperion that parallels the main story.

tl;dr: The Ocean at the End of the Lane is good

Guess I'll check this out after all. From a library.

FiRez

the new york section is only about 15-20% of the book. i don't know how much you'll enjoy it as the book has a pretty coherent voice, if you find the protagonist bratty now you'll probably find her bratty near the end, but it soon moves away from disaffected youth at new york fashion mag parties into something more isolated and typical of the books you list.

Thanks! I will keep reading it.

Narag

Maybe its cause I was recently in Florence and I could picture everything..

That's neat. Uncultured as I am, I often resorted to looking up art online when Dan Brown stuff brought it up to get a better idea of things.

I vaguely remember reading about how Hyperion was split in two to make releasing it a more palatable prospect for the publisher. Hence, the somewhat tacked-on POV in Fall of Hyperion that parallels the main story.

Suddenly my issue with Fall of Hyperion makes sense.

Its to be super hot and super humid where I live today. Gonna spend it indoors .. with no AC :( ... trying to stay cool and blasting through Abaddon's Gate.

Guess I'll check this out after all. From a library.

Whoa you're a mod now? Congratulations Dresden.

effzee

That's neat. Uncultured as I am, I often resorted to looking up art online when Dan Brown stuff brought it up to get a better idea of things.

Only recently started traveling thanks to the wife's passion to travel and see the world.

I think I also enjoyed Inferno more because of the ending. Unlike his previous books, this one sort of ends with no real conclusion. I liked the premise of
population control
but I definitely don't see him doing another Langdon book. I don't know where else he can go. I guess he can go far East and explore the art work and history there to come up with a concept.

Going to Greece next week for 6 days. Any good recommendations for the plane ride? I'm a terribly nervous flyer and the direct flight is 10 hours.

Looking for something fast paced and fun. Nothing too heavy. Should have held off on reading Inferno until the plane ride.

Halfway through Under The Dome...thinking about picking up Ender's Game for a change of pace.

Edit: John Dies At The End is marked down to $2.99 on Kindle so I grabbed that instead.

Tenrius

So I'm about halfway through David Hollow and the Guards of the Rim and I'm genuinely enjoying it. The setting is fresh and the story itself is a good adventure with a mystery touch. And it's free, you can get it in the thread.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I'm reading The Passage of Power by Robert Caro. Turns out that Robert Kennedy was quite the asshole and even seasoned big city machine bosses were scared of him before he held any office in his brothers administration.

I read them both. I remember The Black Prism starting slow, but it eventually hooked me. I don't remember where exactly. You can read The Magician very quickly if you feel like taking a break from Weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom