• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (June 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pau

I have told you that I love you Cyan, right?

Definitely read the next two (although Wintersmith is the worst of the 4). I Shall Wear Midnight is up there with Wee Free Men in terms of quality and is really dark by his YA standards. It reminds me a lot of Night Watch in terms of tone. I should note The Wee Free Men makes me tear up a bit towards the end every time I read it. Perfect book to read if you have a deep fondness for a grandparent that is no longer with you.

Also please say you have read Nation. If not read Nation. IMO the best book he has ever written.
I can't get through Nation or I Shall Wear Midnight. Not because they're bad, but because I get so terribly depressed and sad and they feel so final. :(

The Tiffany Aching books should be required reading for middle school.

I'm reading Lolita, and I don't really get it. The protagonist is a monster, yet the book is also a comedy? There are a ton of references to other books and plays that I haven't read and don't get. Half the time, if he's using someone's name, I don't know if that name is from a briefly mentioned character earlier in the book, or the name of some "famous" character from some other book. There's also a ton of French in it. (Hey Nabokov, I don't speak French brah.) This book is just over my head. It's for English Lit majors or something.

dream

I'm reading Lolita, and I don't really get it. The protagonist is a monster, yet the book is also a comedy? There are a ton of references to other books and plays that I haven't read and don't get. Half the time, if he's using someone's name, I don't know if that name is from a briefly mentioned character earlier in the book, or the name of some "famous" character from some other book. There's also a ton of French in it. (Hey Nabokov, I don't speak French brah.) This book is just over my head. It's for English Lit majors or something.

Well, keep in mind he "only has words to play with."

Karakand

Yeah, from what I hear people love it for the way it's written. But half the time I don't know what in God's name he's talking about.

Maybe you should try an annotated edition instead of posting the book thread equivalent of the "my kid can beat up your honor student" bumper sticker.

If you had an interest in self-improvement that is.

Syf

Banned
I've been working my way through Necronomicon, the collection of HP Lovecraft stories. I had never read any of his work prior to this and it's been great so far. Some of the stories have really gotten to me lol.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I had a hard time staying awake through Lolita.

Piecake

I loved it, but I am not going to pretend I understood everything.

And its pretty stupid to suggest that youre not interested in self-improvement if you don't pick up the annotated version. There a whole lot of avenues for self-improvement. Pretty god damn hard to do them all. Shit, id love to actually be able to fix or build things, but I doubt that is happening any time soon

jtb

Banned
I loved Lolita and I think one of the things I like about it is that even on the surface level, it's a very capable story imo. Humbert Humbert is just an insanely compelling character. Everything else is just a bonus.

It's more than possible to read the book in a literary vacuum and still enjoy it (though having a dictionary nearby might be useful).

Finished these up

10804419.jpg
13452449.jpg

Really loved them, great characters and great universe.

Also finished up Monsters, was pretty good. Worth a buck anyway.

Now reading

Working IX to V: Orgy Planners, Funeral Clowns, and Other Prized Professions of the Ancient World by Vicki León

Roadwork by Stephen King

Mumei

I loved Lolita and I think one of the things I like about it is that even on the surface level, it's a very capable story imo. Humbert Humbert is just an insanely compelling character. Everything else is just a bonus.

It's more than possible to read the book in a literary vacuum and still enjoy it (though having a dictionary nearby might be useful).

Yes, absolutely. I read it without getting the vast majority of the references - but I think hardly anyone would get more than a small fraction of the literary allusions and wordplay. The Annotated Edition has ~150 pages of annotations, which is about half as long as the book itself. I remember when the allusion to the Edgar Allan Poe poem Annabel Lee was first pointed out to me and it was one of those headexplode moments for me. And I love trying to think about the text on multiple levels - thinking about Nabokov's intent with the character and manipulating the reader, and simultaneously thinking about it as if H.H. were really the author and this story were really something he intended to read in his defense. You start to notice the elisions and the omissions, the way he silences Dolores. Even when she is allowed to object in the text, it is simply said that she said "unprintable" things. He is incredibly manipulative and the weird thing is that it ... still works. Even when I was aware that I was being manipulated.

Anyway, it's perfectly okay to miss things while reading Nabokov. He wrote for rereaders, after all:

Nabokov said:
Incidentally, I use the word reader very loosely. Curiously enough, one cannot read a book: one can only reread it. A good reader, a major reader, an active and creative reader is a rereader. And I shall tell you why. When we read a book for the first time the very process of laboriously moving our eyes from left to right, line after line, page after page, this complicated physical work upon the book, the very process of learning in terms of space and time what the book is about, this stands between us and artistic appreciation. When we look at a painting we do not have to move our eyes in a special way even if, as in a book, the picture contains elements of depth and development. The element of time does not really enter in a first contact with a painting. In reading a book, we must have time to acquaint ourselves with it. We have no physical organ (as we have the eye in regard to a painting) that takes in the whole picture and then can enjoy its details. But at a second, or third, or fourth reading we do, in a sense, behave towards a book as we do towards a painting. However, let us not confuse the physical eye, that monstrous masterpiece of evolution, with the mind, an even more monstrous achievement. A book, no matter what it is—a work of fiction or a work of science (the boundary line between the two is not as clear as is generally believed)—a book of fiction appeals first of all to the mind. The mind, the brain, the top of the tingling spine, is, or should be, the only instrument used upon a book.

I should probably note here that I have only ever read any of his books once. I'll get around to it, dammit!

dream

Speaking of Nabokov on re-reading, Zadie Smith has a phenomenal essay where she pits Nabokov, who is all about authorial intent, against Roland Barthes's "Death of the Author." I wish I could find a copy online so you could all read it because it's a beautiful piece of criticism.

velociraptor

davinci-code-1.jpg

Wow, this is such a terrible book. Full of inaccuracies and terrible writing. I didn't expect a masterpiece from Dan Brown, but I was quite appalled at how bad this novel was. And this is coming from someone who actually thought Angels & Demons was a rather enjoyable read. Lost Symbol is next in line for me. Let's hope that fares better.

Jenga

Banned
Speaking of Nabokov on re-reading, Zadie Smith has a phenomenal essay where she pits Nabokov, who is all about authorial intent, against Roland Barthes's "Death of the Author." I wish I could find a copy online so you could all read it because it's a beautiful piece of criticism.

white teeth was a let-down mang

Jenga

Banned
The Annotated Edition has ~150 pages of annotations, which is about half as long as the book itself. I remember when the allusion to the Edgar Allan Poe poem Annabel Lee was first pointed out to me and it was one of those headexplode moments for me. And I love trying to think about the text on multiple levels - thinking about Nabokov's intent with the character and manipulating the reader, and simultaneously thinking about it as if H.H. were really the author and this story were really something he intended to read in his defense.
Anyway, it's perfectly okay to miss things while reading Nabokov. He wrote for rereaders, after all!

only nabokov book I believe that applies to is probably ada or ardor

his books are surprisingly straight-forward once you simply get used to reading his writing style

Mumei

I found this Slate article that mentions it:

Still, what happens when two competing paths are—as far as status and rigor are concerned—equal? One of Smith's most lucid essays pits Nabokov's reading style (based on the idea of the author's absolute control) against Roland Barthes' famous "death of the author" theory (that meaning is created in the act of reading, independent of the author's wishes). The appeal of each approach is clear at once. Smith loved Barthes' reader empowerment as a theory-minded college student, she says; as a fiction writer trying to communicate with readers, though, she favors Nabokov. Both perspectives reflect reading at its most educated and refined. Both are clearly very useful. And yet, try as she might, Smith cannot get the two to join together. They're basically irreconcilable.

And I saw somewhere else that it was an essay in this book. Maybe if you knew the title you could find it online.

only nabokov book I believe that applies to is probably ada or ardor

his books are surprisingly straight-forward once you simply get used to reading his writing style

Sorry, what applies to? I agree that his books can be enjoyed on multiple levels (and I say that as someone who enjoys them on a very surface level).

I started with World War Z by Max Brooks some time ago but I just can't finish it. It's the writing style... (Just to be sure I'll hide it so I don't spoiler anything for people who haven't read the book so far)
I have a problem that there is no main character in this book and some storylines are absolutely uninteresting even though they are important for the plot. In the beginning I thought that the idea to tell a story from a lot of different angles is great but after about 60% I know for sure that I absolutely need a main character. There were a lot of stories so far that were really interesting and I would have loved to read more about it - but they are always too short.

Woorloog

Banned
dcHNpCE.jpg

The Risen Empire (also published in two parts, Succession part one: The Risen Empire, and part two: Killing of the Worlds, or something like that) by Scott Westerfeld

Couldn't find Judas Unchained from my room so i started reading this one, again (i need to visit a bookstore soon...)
Space opera, but rather hard one. Probably belongs to so called "Intelligent Space Opera" genre.

Drake

Just plowed through book 8 of the Dresden files in like 2 days. Those books are addicting. I'm going to read Elantris by Brandon Sanderson next.

Pepboy

The first Mistborn novel is $2.99 on Kindle right now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GYI9C4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also, what is FantasyGaf's opinions on The Blade Itself and The Lies of Locke Lamora? Thinking about adding one of those to my to read list.

I personally couldn't get through the first 20% of The Blade Itself, but I hear it spoken of highly. Lies of Locke Lamora was really enjoyable, highly recommended if you enjoyed Mistborn.

I've recently finished:
13641208.jpg

and
6658129.jpg

Both are weakly recommended -- 10th of December is comprised of short stories with believable characters though I found my interest varied wildly across different stories. Tokyo Vice is a true tale of an American becoming a Japanese reporter, reporting on the yakuza. It's well broken up into smaller stories, but I found the "climax" slightly unfulfilling.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Speaking of Abercrombie, I finished A Red Country the other day, and it was a fantastic read. Highly recommended for fans of First Law, though I'd strongly suggest reading Best Served Cold and Heroes prior to it, or you'll miss out on some interesting character development and plot elements.

Ceebs

I love Gaiman. Will be interested to hear your impressions.
Okay just finished it (got super sidetracked yesterday). I did not realize this book was so short when I ordered it! Only 178 pages.

That said I really liked it. The character in the book describes adults as boring adult books with children's books buried inside them, and that is exactly what this book is. A childhood fairy tale wrapped up with dashes of adult perspective.

Would recommend!

Pau

Okay just finished it (got super sidetracked yesterday). I did not realize this book was so short when I ordered it! Only 178 pages.

That said I really liked it. The character in the book describes adults as boring adult books with children's books buried inside them, and that is exactly what this book is. A childhood fairy tale wrapped up with dashes of adult perspective.

Would recommend!
Hmm he's doing a signing here in four days and you get in if you buy the book. Debating whether or not to go.

Maybe you should try an annotated edition instead of posting the book thread equivalent of the "my kid can beat up your honor student" bumper sticker.

If you had an interest in self-improvement that is.

Maybe you should add something constructive instead of resorting to reverse anti-snobbery, particularly when he made a valid observation about how he views the book.

If you had an interest in not coming across like a douche that is.

jacobs34

1984-signet1981.jpg

Started rereading this about a month ago, got sidetracked by life stuff, and read through most of it in the last couple of days. All I can say is wow at the ending. Still hits like a mother. It resonates a lot more now that I've had some real world experience than it did when I was in high school. The description of his final encounter with Julia is just heartbreaking. To remove the passion one has for another is to remove that which makes us human.

Nymerio

Finished House of Chains yesterday and really liked it. Ending Spoilers:
I kinda guessed that Tavore was somehow going to kill Felisin without knowing it, just because I thought that that would be the saddest way to end the book. Was surprised though that Pearl actually kept it from her. Karsa Orlong was also pretty cool, it was really nice how his character developed. And Fiddler and Gesler and his crew are amazing.

Guess I'll start the next book tonight.

51bDBgY9RYL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX385_SY500_CR,0,0,385,500_SH20_OU03_.jpg

Owl

Neo Member
I'm reading Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch. It's quite interesting.

Arment

Since I started working a regular work week I've basically come to a stand still on my reading. I used to finish some kind of epic fantasy book every 2 weeks. I've been stuck about half-way on a piddly sized R.A. Salvatore novel for a month running now.

I just value sleep more, but it's really bothering me. I miss my escape.

Corum

Since I started working a regular work week I've basically come to a stand still on my reading. I used to finish some kind of epic fantasy book every 2 weeks. I've been stuck about half-way on a piddly sized R.A. Salvatore novel for a month running now.

I just value sleep more, but it's really bothering me. I miss my escape.

Do you now do a commute of any kind? I had the same problem as you but tried audio books on the train to work or the Kindle app on my phone. It helps you keep the rhythm of reading and I'm more likely to read in the evenings.

SmoothCB

Finished Inferno as a break from Wheel of Time. Read like a script but was mildly entertaining.

Now onto WOT Lord of Chaos

moojito

I'm really running out of steam reading The black prism by Brent Weeks. I'm maybe halfway through. I don't know if I should put it on hold and start with Magician by Raymond Feist.

Has anyone read both and can comment on whether the second half of the black prism gets better?

noal

Banned
Just finished Inferno last night, not too bad, I have decided to try The Lost Symbol again to see if it is as bad as I remember. Maybe it will improve with a second read through?

Hedge

At the moment, I'm reading:
9781841958484.jpg

It has quite a full range of flavour in it, but it's not like I expected. I guess I was expecting it to be a bit more.. Murakami.. after the glowing recommendation I got from my friend.

The next book that's on my list is by the always entertaining:
510J9VGDFPL.jpg

Finishing up exams, so I like light reading in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom