• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (June 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insaniac

awol_revised_07.06.10.JPG

Brother got me this for my birthday, only just started it but I'm liking it so far.

FnordChan

I recently wrapped up The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I also went ahead and snagged a copy of Black House, which I look forward to putting into the rotation in the near future.

I've also been slowly reading all of the Sherlock Holmes stories and novels, having picked up a chunky two-paperback complete collection a couple of years back. (Yes, I confess to watching the first Sherlock series and belatedly deciding it was time to read the Holmes canon.) I finally finished The Return of Sherlock Holmes and look forward to starting up Hound of the Baskervilles a bit later this year.

61dKDps93LL.jpg

Earlier this year I read a New York Times article about Gerard de Villiers, discussing his long running series about the aristocratic spy Malko. I love spy novels and have a terrible weakness for men's adventure fiction, so I tracked down Malko: West of Jerusalem (1967), which was published in English in the early 70s in a short lived (14 book) attempt to introduce Malko to readers of The Destroyer and The Executioner. It provided exactly want I wanted: lurid adventure, an incredibly smooth hero, and a reflection of the politics of the day. This isn't to say that West of Jerusalem was a particularly good novel, but it certainly made for a fun, fast read. Also, you have to appreciate any book with a psychedelic costume party sequence.

51a5J3NCe7L.jpg

Currently I'm reading The Deed of Paksennarion trilogy by Elizabeth Moon, which was highly recommended by a pal of mine who's an avid fan of the series. I've finished the first novel, Sheepherder's Daughter, wherein our young heroine Paks leaves home, joins a mercenary company, and becomes a seasoned soldier over the course of several campaigns. Moon has a military background which makes for an interesting take on the bildungsroman formula and I like the way she's created a Tolkienesque high-fantasy world but presents it in a very down to earth manner. I happily went straight into the second novel, Divided Allegiance, wherein our heroine leaves the military and sets out on her own, which has made for a nice change of pace while also illustrating the perils of solo adventuring. So far, I'd certainly recommend this to anyone looking for a good epic fantasy series to read.

FnordChan

Mumei

10862575.jpg
10912036.jpg

Read the first two volumes of Sailor Moon. This is my first real exposure to Sailor Moon. I might have caught an episode or something at some point my life, but I don't remember it. They're cute and silly.

1188238.jpg

I read this a few days ago. I much prefer this to Kawabata's Snow Country; I think maybe that I prefer his spare prose in this non-fiction(ish), first-person account of Otake (Kitani) and Honinbo Shusai's seminal match. I'm not really sure, though. Or maybe I just found the subject more interesting.

116503.jpg
1404411.jpg

I also started reading these. Ovid's Metamorphoses is a-m-a-z-i-n-g. If you've never tried reading long-form poetry and have the slightest interest in Greek mythology, go and get it immediately. Now. It is translated (mercifully) in blank verse, which really helps me with the issue I always have with poetry: The rhythm of my reading follows the lines too closely, so I end up getting the flow of the words but missing the meaning of what I'm reading. I do more automatic rereading of poetry than any other form of writing, but I find that with this I have more automaticity.

The third volume of The Story of the Stone is simply a continuation of the previous volume (the volume breaks are really irrelevant; it is just one gigantic book). It has been fantastic so far, and has gotten me reading about other family sagas to see if there's anything else in the genre I might like. There are so many fantastic characters, the setting is so immersive, the writing is actually good (Sadly, I have come to be surprised when I read a translation of a Chinese work and even find the prose passable), the characters are complex and well-rounded (both male and female characters) with real personalities and fantastic characterization. I absolutely love it so far, and the only thing I don't like is the fact that at 2500 pages long it will be rather difficult to get other people to take the plunge. When I finish, I would like to read Rereading the Stone... unfortunately my library does not have it and it is expensive. Sigh. The sacrifices I have to make.

I also read 50 pages of Chaucer's Troilus and Criseyde. I'm not really finding it very interesting, though

dream

Mumei, I studied Story of the Stone when I was doing Comp Lit, and yeah - Yu's book is awesome. But I remember using another (and cheaper) piece of scholarship that you might be interested in. Lemme see if I can find the name of it...

edit: got it. Jing Wang's The Story of Stone: Intertextuality, Ancient Chinese Stone Lore, and the Stone Symbolism in Dream of the Red Chamber, Water Margin, and The Journey to the West.

ShaneB

Finished Abaddon's Gate this morning. Gave it 5 stars and certainly capped off a sci-fi trilogy I really loved. I assumed it was indeed the end, but after finishing I see folks had mentioned more books were coming, so now I'm excited for what comes next in this series! Woo.

Now to decide what's next.This is on sale at Amazon for a dollar, and sounds pretty interesting, so maybe this is next. edit: Yeah, reading this next, the review quotes make it seem really great. I know 'Wool' gets a lot of love here.. ""So great, I wish I'd come up with it myself..." - HUGH HOWEY, author of Wool (praise for Atopia series)"

51hYQxXiw1L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

n!smo

Neo Member
Finished Edge by Koji Suzuki
I mainly read it because of the nice cover and the interesting premise.
Overall, too long and bland characters.

51hiLZDx1SL.jpg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Finished Abaddon's Gate this morning. Gave it 5 stars and certainly capped off a sci-fi trilogy I really loved. I assumed it was indeed the end, but after finishing I see folks had mentioned more books were coming, so now I'm excited for what comes next in this series! Woo.

Now to decide what's next.This is on sale at Amazon for a dollar, and sounds pretty interesting, so maybe this is next. edit: Yeah, reading this next, the review quotes make it seem really great. I know 'Wool' gets a lot of love here.. ""So great, I wish I'd come up with it myself..." - HUGH HOWEY, author of Wool (praise for Atopia series)"

51hYQxXiw1L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I'm reading that right now, and it's pretty good. It's an 'end of the world' type of novel, where things are fine then suddenly all goes to shit. It's pretty realistic in how it handles that scenario.

I'm reading that right now, and it's pretty good. It's an 'end of the world' type of novel, where things are fine then suddenly all goes to shit. It's pretty realistic in how it handles that scenario.

Hmm sounds interesting. Good reviews. Only $1. Purchased!

nimbus

Banned
About 20 pages in and I have no clue what's going on. Should I push on or read Vineland, which I also have, first?

35tCAtJ.jpg

Sleepy

About 20 pages in and I have no clue what's going on. Should I push on or read Vineland, which I also have, first?

35tCAtJ.jpg

READ THIS BOOK! In my opinion, the best book ever written. You will not understand everything the first time, so just go with the flow. I have read GR three times, and have read some sections six-eight times, and I still am at a loss in certain parts. Vineland is easier, but maybe the best place to start is Lot 49.

Mumei

Mumei, I studied Story of the Stone when I was doing Comp Lit, and yeah - Yu's book is awesome. But I remember using another (and cheaper) piece of scholarship that you might be interested in. Lemme see if I can find the name of it...

edit: got it. Jing Wang's The Story of Stone: Intertextuality, Ancient Chinese Stone Lore, and the Stone Symbolism in Dream of the Red Chamber, Water Margin, and The Journey to the West.

Thanks!

Is it a problem if I haven't read The Journey to the West or Water Margin? The only one of the Four I have finished is the one that isn't mentioned in the title!

WorldStar

Banned
Finished The Lost Symbol last night. Gosh did it suck, it was a chore finishing it. And this is coming from someone who enjoyed Angels & Demons and Da Vinci Code.

Not sure if want Inferno.

Back to House of Leaves I go.

Piecake

Thanks!

Is it a problem if I haven't read The Journey to the West or Water Margin? The only one of the Four I have finished is the one that isn't mentioned in the title!

Based on your interest in gender, you might like this book

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0824824687/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I haven't read it so I can't vouch for it. Hopefully her feminist approach is something more interesting than placing 21st century values on an 18th century text and culture, but actually discuses gender and identity

But man, youre burning through that book! Glad you like it

Oh, and that rereading book is only 20 bucks including shipping if you get the cheapest used copy. Thats not too bad

Kaladin

Finished The Lost Symbol last night. Gosh did it suck, it was a chore finishing it. And this is coming from someone who enjoyed Angels & Demons and Da Vinci Code.

Not sure if want Inferno.

Back to House of Leaves I go.

Dan Brown has always been a "wait on the reviews" author for me. I'm glad I take that approach because Amazon reviews typically go with your opinion of the book. I'll probably wait for the movie on this one. They'll try to make an entertaining two hours out of it.

Mumei

Based on your interest in gender, you might like this book

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0824824687/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I haven't read it so I can't vouch for it. Hopefully her feminist approach is something more interesting than placing 21st century values on an 18th century text and culture, but actually discuses gender and identity

Oh! Speaking of China and sex, I want to read this book. That book is about modern Chinese culture, though!

And that does sound interesting. At first the two star review gave me pause, but... then I actually looked at it. Haha.

Piecake

Oh! Speaking of China and sex, I want to read this book. That book is about modern Chinese culture, though!

And that does sound interesting. At first the two star review gave me pause, but... then I actually looked at it. Haha.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0231114079/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This book actually looks more interesting to me.

The Story of the Stone(also known as The Dream of the Red Chamber), completed in the mid-eighteenth century by Cao Xuegin, is considered China's greatest novel -- but its length and narrative complexity have proven daunting to many modern readers. Now, esteemed scholar of Asian literature Dore J. Levy introduces this timeless work to first-time readers, while also presenting a new method of comparative interpretation for advanced students and scholars. Drawing from literary theory, sociology, religion, and medicine, Levy explores how the classic novel confronts the chasm between social, emotional, and spiritual ideals and their translation into day-to-day reality.

This illuminating work unpacks The Story of the Stone based on the interpretation of four major themes: the inversion of traditional family dynamics, which constitutes the novel's social framework; the function of illness and medicine in a society where Buddhist notions of karma and retribution exist alongside pragmatic notions of the human body that make up traditional Chinese medicine; the role of poetry in the social structure of dynastic Chinese society; and the use of poetry as a vehicle for spiritual liberation

I think the bolded bit goes to the heart of the novel, and the other themes she deals with sound interesting as well. Plus, you can get it used for 3 bucks!

I read the first book of The Wheel of Time series probably 9 years ago.
I've forgotten almost all of it but have been wanting to reread it lately so I got the first three books on the cheap in a boxed set.

I have begun The Eye of the World.

Snowdrift

xnth1eF.jpg

Picked this up as soon as the semester finished.

Trying to get through Tales of The Dying Earth, but I'm struggling to finish it.

Empty

reading talking it over by julian barnes. not really feeling it. it's basically a love triangle narrated in turn by the three participants, with a rashomon esque different intepretations of similar events. i find the oliver sections pretty witty and barnes is clearly having a lot of fun writing in the language of a ridiculous pesudo-intellectual. yet the story is yet to grip me, seems really one dimensional compared to the other barnes i read - the sense of an ending. hopefully it picks up in the second half.

dream

Thanks!

Nah, I don't think it will be a problem. Some of the explication focuses on textual particulars, but I think the book itself is universal enough for you to easily grasp without having read those texts.

READ THIS BOOK! In my opinion, the best book ever written. You will not understand everything the first time, so just go with the flow. I have read GR three times, and have read some sections six-eight times, and I still am at a loss in certain parts. Vineland is easier, but maybe the best place to start is Lot 49.

Not touching GR again without a reader's guide.

Griegite

still a junior
I'm about to begin Night Soldiers by Alan Furst. Anyone else read this series by Furst? I've heard good things from friends so I'm curious if anyone here have any opinions on it.

KidDork

Finished that Star Trek novel, The Folded World. I regret buying it and spending the time to read it. A complete waste of time.

Getting back into this series. Finished this up and immediately went out to find Volume 8. Gantz can be so over the top, but it does it so well.

And getting back into Caliban's War. Enjoying the new characters quite a bit.

Jintor

Finished:

Getting Rich First: Life in a Changing China by Duncan Hewitt

Great overview of modern China, though seen from a BBC journalist's perspective so obviously somewhat of an outsider's POV, but very easy to read and pretty good all around.

Now reading:

Mattimeo by Brian Jacques

Last read this when I was 12 or something. Going back, my immediate impression is a) the prose is crap b) the food is godly c) some stoat just totally got run through by a sword within 30 pages, damn son

You don't listen to the Sinica podcast do you, by any chance?

Started reading Flannery O'Connor The Complete Stories. A few years ago, I had to read "A Good Man is Hard to Find" for a college literature class, and it was a really messed up story. It was one of the few stories I read in that class that I actually enjoyed. About 20% in now, and I have liked most of the stories so far.

zWw8Ed8.jpg

Mumei

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0231114079/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This book actually looks more interesting to me.

I think the bolded bit goes to the heart of the novel, and the other themes she deals with sound interesting as well. Plus, you can get it used for 3 bucks!

Nah, I don't think it will be a problem. Some of the explication focuses on textual particulars, but I think the book itself is universal enough for you to easily grasp without having read those texts.

Aaaah

So many books to read! I'll have to figure out what I'm most interested in by the time I finish. I've made it about a third of the way through the third volume this weekend.

You don't listen to the Sinica podcast do you, by any chance?

I don't listen to any podcasts! Do you think I'd like it?

Jintor

I don't listen to any podcasts! Do you think I'd like it?

I was just asking because the author of the Red Door book you linked was on it a few weeks back! It's a very very good podcast about modern day China hosted by a crazy South African expat and an Asian-American expat who happened to front a Chinese rock band back in the 90s. Relevent episode here.

Piecake

Aaaah

So many books to read! I'll have to figure out what I'm most interested in by the time I finish. I've made it about a third of the way through the third volume this weekend

Pick mine! Pick mine!

reading your thoughts on the book has actually made me want to reread this book again. I can honestly say I have forgotten a good deal of it because its been about 8 or so years since I read it. the only thing stopping me from doing it is the 2,500 pages, haha.

WorldStar

Banned
Dan Brown has always been a "wait on the reviews" author for me. I'm glad I take that approach because Amazon reviews typically go with your opinion of the book. I'll probably wait for the movie on this one. They'll try to make an entertaining two hours out of it.

I actually read the reviews but figured I'd be my own judge.

It doesn't start off that bad but gets progressively worse. On the bright side it is such an easy read it only took me a couple days to finish it, so not much time was wasted.

Shauni

Been taking a bit of a break from reading, but I recently picked up Number9Dream and will probably start it tomorrow. Looking to pick up the Tibetan Book of the Dead, too, been wanting to read that for a long time.

ShaneB

CyberStorm is so good so far. Incredibly gripping so I'm always in that "one more chapter!" mode, and I really like the characters a lot already.

edit: I am flying through this book, really loving it!

Yado

kafka-on-the-shore.jpeg

Started this a while ago but I hadn't gotten a chance to read it for an extended period of time until last night. Pretty good so far

ultron87

Read all of Brandon Sanderson's The Alloy of Law over the weekend. It was pretty typical enjoyable Sanderson fare. Nice light fantasy read with entertaining characters and some fantastically written action scenes. When I was starting I thought that the main character not being a full Mistborn would make the action potentially less interesting, but that wasn't true at all.

Next I'm reading the collection of the prequels to Wool, Shift.

Finished Kay's "River of Stars." I was actually a little disappointed in this one. I liked "Under Heaven" a ton, but RoS just felt flat to me. I also felt uncomfortable/awkward reading the present tense he chose to use. Weird.

Now reading:
legend.gif

Dresden

I read this after finishing the last of us:

Earth has six months to go before a giant meteor wipes out civilization, and a young detective is determined to solve a murder before it happens. Or something.

There's a good number of decent, clever writers out there and this is a decent, clever book by a decent, clever writer that I decently enjoyed (and it was a fast read, too, short and snappy and totally one-evening-able) but won't remember by the end of the year. The best parts of it were the extrapolative musings on the state of their society as the deadline draws near.

Kaladin

I read this after finishing the last of us:

Earth has six months to go before a giant meteor wipes out civilization, and a young detective is determined to solve a murder before it happens. Or something.

There's a good number of decent, clever writers out there and this is a decent, clever book by a decent, clever writer that I decently enjoyed (and it was a fast read, too, short and snappy and totally one-evening-able) but won't remember by the end of the year. The best parts of it were the extrapolative musings on the state of their society as the deadline draws near.

I bought this book a while ago as an impulse on Kindle because it was on sale for a buck. I never got around to starting it. Glad it sounds like it is decent.

Ceebs

Haven't updated recently, and did a little plane traveling (to the Writing Excuses seminar/retreat, which was awesome!), so I've read plenty of stuff.

Notably, A Hat Full of Sky is terrific Terry Pratchett YA, if not quite as good as the first Tiffany Aching book, The Wee Free Men.

I have told you that I love you Cyan, right?

Definitely read the next two (although Wintersmith is the worst of the 4). I Shall Wear Midnight is up there with Wee Free Men in terms of quality and is really dark by his YA standards. It reminds me a lot of Night Watch in terms of tone. I should note The Wee Free Men makes me tear up a bit towards the end every time I read it. Perfect book to read if you have a deep fondness for a grandparent that is no longer with you.

Also please say you have read Nation. If not read Nation. IMO the best book he has ever written.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom