• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (June 2015)

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I am thinking about reading Jurassic Park, anyone here read it? Heard great things and it's supposedly much different then movie.

P.S I am new here and I'm not sure how to add images to my post. Can anyone help?

I enjoyed it when I was nine years old. I'm now of the opinion that the film is superior in almost every measurable facet.

I was 16 when the film came out? Damn.

I remember reading The Lost World and thinking that was going to be such an awesome movie. I even remember reading that they paid him to write the book so they could make the movie. And then they throw everything away? Insane.

Just finished Matthew Reilly's Great Zoo of China, and it was terrible. It was as bad as everyone says Dan Brown is.

Now I'm reading Watership Down for the first time. Goddamn, it's good. Bigwig is a boss.

I am thinking about reading Jurassic Park, anyone here read it? Heard great things and it's supposedly much different then movie.

P.S I am new here and I'm not sure how to add images to my post. Can anyone help?

IT was a lovely read back in middle school.

Just finished Matthew Reilly's Great Zoo of China, and it was terrible. It was as bad as everyone says Dan Brown is.

Now I'm reading Watership Down for the first time. Goddamn, it's good. Bigwig is a boss.

Read Watership Down in middle school too, it was so intriguing. I should reread.

I enjoyed it when I was nine years old. I'm now of the opinion that the film is superior in almost every measurable facet.

Yes, except for the "can't believe I fell for a basic statistics thing" with
the compy's and the discovery of breeding
The fact that this scene ends with Malcolm going "
hey, let's all go into the park, with the kids and all. Would could possibly-
" is where I imagine Sam Neill punching his lights out, avoiding
the entire sequence of events
of the novel.

Spoilered for the actual reading person.

Is Carl Jung any good? My girlfriend gave me "Man and his Symbols" to read, so I'd like to know if I am going into a good read or shit read.

TTG

Had to give up on Brave New World, over halfway done and still did nothing for me. At least I made it further than the first chapter this time:p

Yea, I don't know why it's always mentioned in the same class as 1984 and Fahrenheit 451(well I do, but it doesn't deserve it). Talk about dogmatic, heavy handed drivel.

Matty77

It's good in my opinon, even though I am not a huge fan of Crichton, and I loved the movie. The biggest factor of difference beyond the movie being streamlined and dropping a couple of sequences that would not have worked as well in film, is that the book is really cynical compared to the movie, prepare for at least one character who in the movie is benevolent if ignorant to just be a pure bastard.

Pau

Is Carl Jung any good? My girlfriend gave me "Man and his Symbols" to read, so I'd like to know if I am going into a good read or shit read.
Some stuff is interesting, a lot of it can be bullshit. I think it works best as a way of thinking about stories instead of looking at individuals and their dreams.

He's not a terrible writer at least. Only read Man and His Symbols for a class.
And used it to analyze Batman.

catbird

Neo Member
Finished The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. The voice, which turned me off a bit in the beginning, ended up being one of my favorite things about the book. I thought it was entertaining over all. The plotline was pretty corny though (a fat sci-fi nerd who would do anything not to die a virgin).

Reading Frankenstein now. I was on a business trip and needed something new to read, so I went onto Project Gutenberg and picked it up. About 1/3 through. It was a little unsettling the first few pages into the book as I was identifying strongly with Robert Walton and Victor Frankenstein (!)

kswiston

I'm about 1/3 of the way through Crime and Punishment. I want to punch Raskolnikov in the face. Even ignoring what he does early in the book, his personality is insufferable.

18490708.jpg

Echopraxia currently, sequel to Blindsight

I finished it a few weeks ago. Awesome book, but fans of Blindsight -- there are many -- were surprisingly split on this book. Let me know what you think when you finish it. Also, once you finish, you might wanna check out Peter Watts' ask me anything on reddit. You may find it interesting.

I have Galapagos, The Alchemist, and Neuromancer currently lined up for the month. If I finish all of those then I'll probably read Skin Game or The End of Eternity.

Mumei

Finished:

21944445.jpg
20613761.jpg

There were some sections of Citizen that I wasn't quite sure what to make of, but aside from my cluelessness there, I thought that what I did understand was excellent. I would recommend the Murakami book to anyone who has read his books and is interested in an attempt at a synthesis.

I'm currently reading We Have Always Lived in the Castle, about to start Outlander, and rereading A Wild Sheep Chase.

Ultima_5

I'm almost done with this:
41COKf-gqfL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Next up I'm going to reread this for the first time since 7th grade:
To_Kill_a_Mockingbird.JPG

in order to prep myself for when this comes out:
US_cover_of_Go_Set_a_Watchman.jpg

Still reading and immensely enjoying A Little Life. Finished the first chapter of the Axiom of Equality and wow. What a harrowing experience it was. The final paragraph alone makes me want to cry.

Everything is falling apart and I wasn't ready for it. I really wanted to keep reading, but I definitely needed a breather after all that.

Shaffield

4031.jpg

just finished Glamorama so now I'm on to Lunar Park. i've been totally obsessed with Ellis over the last few months. about 70 pages in, this book is already such a payoff for anyone who's read all of his work. the mix of memoir with psychological horror and family drama is really wild.

I might skip Imperial Bedrooms when I finish this one, I've heard it doesn't really hold up. probably going to attempt to revisit Pynchon or Irvine Welsh, or maybe I'll finally crack open House of Leaves.

IronRinn

Finished:

21944445.jpg
20613761.jpg

There were some sections of Citizen that I wasn't quite sure what to make of, but aside from my cluelessness there, I thought that what I did understand was excellent. I would recommend the Murakami book to anyone who has read his books and is interested in an attempt at a synthesis.

I'm currently reading We Have Always Lived in the Castle, about to start Outlander, and rereading A Wild Sheep Chase.

Thanks for posting the Murakami book. Will definitely check it out.

It's not new, but I've been reading The Peripheral by William Gibson. It was hard to get into - I've since learned that all his books are - as it's set in the future and talks about "new" inventions that are common place in the settings as if they're common place now. It makes sense. But there's basically no exposition, but it does all come together. I'm around half way through now and I'm really enjoying the story.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
sstkCYOl.jpg

Just started All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders. It's weird and charming, and, from the second a five year old girl began talking to a broken-winged sparrow, I haven't been able to put it down.

Childhood friends Patricia Delfine and Laurence Armstead didn’t expect to see each other again, after parting ways under mysterious circumstances during middle school. After all, the development of magical powers and the invention of a two-second time machine could hardly fail to alarm one’s peers and families.

But now they’re both adults, living in the hipster mecca San Francisco, and the planet is falling apart around them. Laurence is an engineering genius who’s working with a group that aims to avert catastrophic breakdown through technological intervention. Patricia is a graduate of Eltisley Maze, the hidden academy for the world’s magically gifted, and works with a small band of other magicians to secretly repair the world’s ever growing ailments. Little do they realize that something bigger than either of them, something begun years ago in their youth, is determined to bring them together—to either save the world, or plunge it into a new dark ages.

A deeply magical, darkly funny examination of life, love, and the Apocalypse.

Anders is the EIC of io9, and won a Hugo award in 2012 for Six Months, Three Days. I think she's about to break out in a big way once All the Birds in the Sky is released in early 2016. It's a delight so far.

Shaffield

sstkCYOl.jpg

Just started All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders. It's weird and charming, and, from the second a five year old girl began talking to a broken-winged sparrow, I haven't been able to put it down.

Anders is the EIC of io9, and won a Hugo award in 2012 for Six Months, Three Days. I think she's about to break out in a big way once All the Birds in the Sky is released in early 2016. It's a delight so far.

this sounds awesome, I'd like to check it out. I like her writing on i09. bookmarking Six Months, Three Days for later

Mumei

sstkCYOl.jpg

I saw someone expressing jealousy that you were reading this on Goodreads. Fortunately, I am not familiar with the author so I don't have to deal with those feelings~

Piecake

This is a fantastic book and dispelled some of my notions about Communist China. I previously thought that the 50s were a comparatively 'good' time for China and that Mao was more of a deluded idealist than a power-hungry dictator. This book dispelled both of those foolish notions. Mao comes off as complete scum, which is likely accurate.

Just an awful awful regime that cared only about power, appearances and itself and didnt give two shits about the people it governed. It basically starved, brutalized, and imprisoned its own population, created a atmosphere of fear and terror and made its own people complicit in its crimes and that atmosphere of fear. I knew that happened, but I didnt truly realize it started before 58.

9780753525173_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG

About a third of the way through this fine collection of short stories. Ligotti is often called a modern Lovecraft of sorts, but I feel that he definitely has his own style, though the Lovecraft influence is absolutely definite. I am finding his work to be more psychological horror than I expected. My favorite story so far is The Red Tower. Great stuff.

Finished Pirate Hunters: Treasure, Obsession, and the Search for a Legendary Pirate Ship

Pirate Hunters is an excellent read of a little known shipwreck and pirate that most people hadnt heard of. The reporting told through this book of following two divers who were interested in finding their own major discovery on their own along with one man they worked with for the rights to the area was quite interesting. Mr. Kurson's storytelling made it go beyond a simply regurgitation of facts to an an actual full blown provocative and enthralling narrative of their quest. The insights into the key characters lives, the day to day struggles of their group and disagreements, the trips to fact search, and lastly, the rush to be the first ones to find this made it a blast.

Though it is on pirates, a topic that so may feel they know everything about it, I think it was fresh enough and unique enough to be read by enthusiasts. A TV or Hollywood knowledge of pirates is not what this covers and it goes way beyond it into many of the details regarding how pirates in the Jamaica and other area were. It doesnt get too detailed however as there are other books the writer references for that but it provides enough details to make this book a great tool to learn more about them.

Epilogue was great though I was sad at one of the outcomes, I hope we do get another story some day detailing their next find.

DagsJT

Finished "The Girl With All The Gifts" and I'd give it a solid 4/5. Now reading "Pines" as I'm really enjoying the Wayward Pines TV show and I know I won't want to wait a year for the next season.

I keep waiting for Haruki Murakami to have a "perfect Murakami novel."

I love so many of his ideas and elements--often even the writing styles that the translators use. The way Murakami develops his paragraphs is often just pure pleasure to me. However, every book I've read so far has moments were all his positives drop away and I struggle through some odd exposition or an overabundance of dialog that doesn't seem to add up to anything. I've recently finished Kafka on the Shore and the latter half of Nakata's story was a massive chore to get through for me. Once he (minor spoilers for the first half of the book)
Looses the ability to talk with cats, I found that he didn't really have much to do with anything and his conversations just dragged on and on.

My complaints don't really weigh the work down that much--Kafka's story was wonderful and unsettling, but it takes it down a bit. I have a few other Murakami books on my shelf, but I think I need to give him a rest until I have a pallet cleanser.

I'll be reading Bolano's The Savage Detectives, I think.

choco-fish

61%2BJESsCdUL.jpg

Wanted to try some more Japanese Sci-Fi after finishing All You Need is Kill, which was a fantastic read, I wish they'd kept the ending from the book rather than the happy ending of Edge Of Tomorrow.

Anyway Yukikaze seems pretty good, the introduction seemed to over-explain the back story and felt like a chore, but once into the book proper is a good read so far.

Finished Adrift by K.R. Griffiths. The world's biggest, newest ocean liner is disabled by an EMP attack and then a helicopter drops a container on the deck. When the timer lock opens, a group of blood-thirsty vampires emerge to feast on the passengers.

Really fun and straight forward plot that moves at lighting speed. Great, fast-paced and gore-drenched action that never stops once the vampires are unleashed. The vampires aren't your standard hot dudes hoppin' around in rented formal wear and seducing everybody in sight with cheesy Euro-trash accents. They're actually more insect in appearance, and animalistic in nature; definitely a different take on the monster. The characters are well sketched, sympathetic and often brutally dispatched.

This was an absolutely blast to read. I absolutely tore through the pages. I loved it enough to pre-order the limited edition and signed hardcover that due later in the month from Sinister Grin Press. Definitely looking forward to the sequel that's coming soon.

Up next:

10856535.jpg

Piecake

Just finished listening to this and it was excellent. It was rather shocking how little I knew about the Vikings. They had far more impact on European and Central Asian history than I realized. The major towns in Ireland, Russia, and Ukraine? Those were first Viking trading outposts/towns. Hell, I didnt even know that the Swedish Vikings were basically the impetus for the formation of what later became the Russian state. I didnt even know that the traveled into the heart of Russia and central Asia. Hell, apparently they were important players in Byzantium!

Their influence in Normandy shocked me as well. I also did not know that the ruling elite of Normandy were Danish Vikings and that the Danish Vikings established such an effective government that it became the model for future medieval states. Basically, the Vikings had a significant impact on the formation of governments in England, Ireland, France, Germany, and Russia. And here I thought they were just raiders, pillagers and traders!

KidDork

Well, I gave up on Wheel of Time. Made it halfway through the fourth book. Just not for me.

Still plugging away on Eisenhorn, on the second novel. Loving it, even though I have never and will probably never play a Warhammer game.

latest

Also reading this. Butcher does a great job of making Dresden a fun guy to be around and his magic system reads wonderfully like the best amalgam of Seventies Marvel magic mythologies. It's entertaining stuff.

Could you please post a goodreads link for The Echo? Looked through the first couple of pages but nothing matches your description :(

Thanks Aidan. Hopefully whatevermort doesn't mind me saying this but if you feel daunted by the prospect of reading a series and you just want to jump into The Echo, I dont think you'd be too lost. Its cool to know about certain things that are encountered in this book but it might even heighten the mystery if you don't know about them. Of course the optimal situation is to read The Explorer first, however.

Nymerio

[.img]https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1381629961l/18664985.jpg[/img]

Here it is: The Echo by James Smythe.

Thanks Aidan. Hopefully whatevermort doesn't mind me saying this but if you feel daunted by the prospect of reading a series and you just want to jump into The Echo, I dont think you'd be too lost. Its cool to know about certain things that are encountered in this book but it might even heighten the mystery if you don't know about them. Of course the optimal situation is to read The Explorer first, however.

Thanks guys, didn't realize it was part of a series, I'll just read The Explorer first. The whole 'encountering the unknown in space' thing reminded me of Ship of Fools and how much I liked that book. Just gotta finish Blindsight first!

Top Bottom