• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eattomorro

Neo Member
Finished Perry Rhodan: Enterprise Stardust by Karl-Herbert Scheer & Walter Ernsting. Really enjoyed it in a good pulp sci-fi sorta way.

I've been reading a lot of sci-fi and fantasy lately, so now onto something a little more serious. The Cocaine Salesman by Conny Braam. Drugs are bad kids!

13237131.jpg

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, it really was. I think Dan Brown's narrative technique is amazing (ending every chapter on a cliffhanger is really hard to do), but this novel is so bloated that it ends up losing all its momentum and becomes...well...boring.

I do think that the twist was fairly well executed though.

That makes it sound like it's almost worth giving it a shot just for fun. Knowing that the twist is well executed is probably enough for me to give it a go. I've lowered my expectations, so I'll see how I get on. Thanks

Nymerio

I'm still making my way through Gardens of the Moon. I that definitely got better as it went along, but sofar it's really nothing special. My favourite character so far is Kruppe. A lot of the characters seem kinda cliche though, the guys wielding large two handed weapons, I think Rake and Brood they're called, remind me a bit of Warcraft heroes and than there's assassins and thieves and soldiers and sorcerers. Everything seems a bit stereotypical to me.

Nezumi

Finished:

Leviathan-wakes-220x344.jpg

That was fun. I especially enjoyed the opposing dynamic between Holden and Miller. Funny that when I try to take a break from Fantasy mixed with Noir elements I end up reading a Sci-Fi book with Noir elements.

Going to get back to the Garret P.I. books for now with:

200px-Old_Tin_Sorrows.jpg

Bad7667

Just finished Ship of Fools.. I really enjoyed it. The ending wasn't my kind of ending but overall it was great. It's a really fast and easy read.

I want to start another first contact book, are there any suggestions on which I should check out? I was looking at a mote in god's eye or Rendezvous with Rama. But any recommendations are great.

Bonethug

Highly recommend the Wool books that are on sale.

Finished
Of2DsyQ.jpg

Would have been awesome if I was 12. A lot of similarities to Harry Potter. 3/5

Back to Baltimore by Mike Mignola and Christopher Golden, then onto Leviathan Wakes
YNuRAuY.jpg
drqxr6t.jpg

Tenrius

I finished Diplomatic Immunity yesterday. As always, great stuff. Certain plot elements were too reminiscent of an earlier book though (I think it would be a spoiler to say which one), but that was alright.

“Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red.”

Yesterday I finished the first volume of Clive Barker's Books of Blood. It had been years since I read those stories, so I was pleased they more than lived up to my memories. Admittedly the storytelling was a bit rough, but Barker's command of language more than made up for those scant technical shortcomings. Midnight Meat Train and Pig Blood Blues remain my favorites in this volume. Sex, Death and Starshine improved upon my decade's old estimation of it. I remember not being too impressed with it, thinking it was one of the lesser tales, but it worked really well, even if the ending still seemed a bit rushed. The whole volume is brimming with such darkly beautiful and perversely sexual imagery, it's easy to see how Clive Barker became Clive Barker.

Now it's onto Volume 2, which contains my all time favorite Barker story in Dread. I'm looking forward to revisiting it.

ItVbqII.jpg

Narag

Thanks! I already have the Wool omnibus, but just picked up the Shift one. Now, I just have to read them all. My Kindle backlog is beginning to mirror my Steam one.

Yeah, the recent daily deals have caused me to develop a backlog myself. I think my extra money I used to spend on Steam spent on books nowadays.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Just found out one of my favorite ever books is on sale for $2.99 on the US Kindle store right now.

Dawn by Octavia Butler

I can't think of how to describe it without spoiling it... I went into it knowing nothing about it, and even the early discoveries felt big to me. So, avoid the summary on Amazon, and just trust me on this one? It's probably the most traditional sci-fi Butler ever wrote, and she pulled off really really well.

I only read the first sentence of the preview on Amazon, and snagged it. Sounds amazing.

Kajigger

tumblr_maxgv1PNRl1r4ly8qo1_400.jpg

Almost done with it. I find it really interesting and additions from his wife really give you a look from both sides of the spectrum. R.I.P Chris Kyle.

Empty

read through slaughterhouse five by kurt vonnegut which was great. very inventive and moving take on war and the nature of free will. having just read through breakfast of champions i think i'd genuinely read every kilgore trout book he gives a synopsis of if they existed (even though they say his prose sucks).

now started the art of fielding by chad harbruch. i wish i was good at sports so i could be part of a team ;_;

DagsJT

Finished "Leviathan Wakes" and gave it 4/5 stars. I liked the characters, the story had some good plots but it dragged out a little too much at times. I'll definitely read the next book though.

Now reading "Sweet Silver Blues" by Glen Cook. Keep seeing his name popping up in here.

tumblr_maxgv1PNRl1r4ly8qo1_400.jpg

Almost done with it. I find it really interesting and additions from his wife really give you a look from both sides of the spectrum. R.I.P Chris Kyle.

Forgot I wanted to read this. Purchased.

BTW if you like this type of book check out Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills. Gunny Hathcock has got to be one of the most badass dudes in US military history.

Setre

Finished

mSZ1DjS.jpg

Sogood.gif

Started

3khD6u5.jpg

Saw someone else mention this here and thought it sounded interesting. I'm always looking for horror books to read.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Just found out one of my favorite ever books is on sale for $2.99 on the US Kindle store right now.

Dawn by Octavia Butler

I can't think of how to describe it without spoiling it... I went into it knowing nothing about it, and even the early discoveries felt big to me. So, avoid the summary on Amazon, and just trust me on this one? It's probably the most traditional sci-fi Butler ever wrote, and she pulled off really really well.

Well, I didn't need another book added to my backlog but congratulations on making it that little bit taller. The book description from the Amazon link had me at 'atomic fire'. I should really ban myself from this thread for a while.

Fey

Banned
I recently finished The Great Gatsby. It was ... okay. Didn't enjoy as much as I hoped. :(

Haven't started reading anything else because this comes out tomorrow:

pUWt8dy.jpg

So excited. Ready to drown in my tears again.
otnhc6u.gif

Jintor

No Logo by Naomi Klein

Got super preachy pretty early in, but was still a pretty good informative read pre-1999 or so. Unfortunately it feels like the media/branding landscape has changed so dramatically since then a lot of it is just woefully out of date. Probably the basic mechanics of corporations pillaging the shit out of developing countries via free trade stuff holds, though.

Tenrius

I'm about 30% into The Lost Fleet. The tension of the battles and the overall navy aesthetics are well done indeed and it's quite a page-turner. It would help if everything else was a little less cookie cutter, but you can't have everything at once.

ShaneB

Started to read A Feast For Crows... but yeah, I need to take a break, so I'm looking for recommendations.

Something light hearted, funny, uplifting, a brisk read would be nice as well. Thanks in advance.

Nezumi

Finished:

3033460.jpg

If these keep getting better at this rate I'm really looking forward for the next books. Sadly my book buying budget for this month is already overdrawn so I have to wait a bit until I continue the series. Time for some backlog clearing.

Can't decide between Claw of the Conciliator - Gene Wolfe, Elantris - Brandon Sanderson or The Dragon's Path - Daniel Abraham.

Ezalc

Currently reading for the first time Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles that I got like 7 years ago.

Nymerio

Finished:

3033460.jpg

If these keep getting better at this rate I'm really looking forward for the next books. Sadly my book buying budget for this month is already overdrawn so I have to wait a bit until I continue the series. Time for some backlog clearing.

Can't decide between Claw of the Conciliator - Gene Wolfe, Elantris - Brandon Sanderson or The Dragon's Path - Daniel Abraham.

Nice to hear you like them :) Can't say anything about Dragon's Path but I really liked Elantris, though I think it's Sanderson's first book so it may be a bit rough around the edges. If you liked his other books I think you'll like this one as well.

So, I was away for the weekend for a short vacation and managed to finish Gardens of the Moon. It really picked up towards the end I ended up really liking it. There's some stuff I don't get though. Ending spoilers:
Kalam and the other guy decided to bring Sorry home, only her home doesn't exist any more, does it? And I think Captain Paran knows this, because he's seen the massacre the hounds were responsible for. So why didn't he tell them when they told him their plan? And, this is maybe something that's going to be handled in the other books, but what was the game of the involved gods? What did want to do with Sorry? What were the Oponn twins trying to gain? They had the coin bearer who didn't really do anything. They had Paran, who himself didn't do that much and they had the sword in the game with which the hound was wounded. But I don't get what their goals were, if they even had one aside from causing chaos.

After Gardens of the Moon I went straight on to The Thirteenth Tale:

511Bkt9EwnL.jpg

Reading this after the Malazan book really made me appreciate how well written this is. I started yesterday and I'm almost half through. Really liking this one!

KidDork

I was happily reading Caliban's War but for some reason bought this and started reading it.

I haven't read a Star Trek novel since David Mack's Harbinger which I rather liked.
Not really having that reaction this tiime around.

So what do we expect of a media tie-in? Do we lower our expectations? Do we dismiss faults as being part of what is considered by many a lesser art form? Or do we expect the same things we (hopefully) find in original work? I've forgiven a lot reading media tie-ins, but as I get older and my time becomes more precious, I find I do demand the same levels of professionalism. And I get quite bitchy about it.

Here goes.

This book keeps knocking me out of the story. First there was a simple case of blocking. The author writes that Kirk stands up from his command chair. Fine. Kirk is standing and walking around the Enterprise deck. He does that a lot in the old series, kinda comforting to have him do it here.Then on the next page, the author repeats that Kirk stands up. Grrr. A simple mistake, but one a writer should have caught on a final re-read. Or, for that matter, the editor. Nope! Sailed straight past into the final text.

Then there's the feeling the author has a story he wants to tell and he'll hammer the characters into doing things they'd never do to get that story. I'm not the biggest Star Trek fan, but I think I know enough about Kirk to know he wouldn't do some of the things he does here. Just like I don't think Spock would ever finish a sentence with the word 'though. Both just felt wrong. Both just felt rushed, written quickly, and not mulled over.

I've read a few reviews of this online, and I really wonder if the words 'Star Trek' on a book are all people require.

I know, I should just put it down and go back to Caliban's War. But I've paid my ten dollars, and I'll finish this. If anything, I'll just appreciate Caliban all the more.

Mumei

It seems as though it has been forever since I posted in one of these topics. I haven't read as much as I would have liked thanks to my job, but I have still managed to do a good deal of reading since I last posted in February:

The Rhinoceros Who Quoted Nietzsche and Other Odd Acquaintances, by Peter S. Beagle
Unearthing the Dragon: The Great Feathered Dinosaur Discovery, by Mark A. Norell
A Canticle for Liebowitz, by Walter M. Miller, Jr.
Maria Callas: A Musical Biography, by Robert Arthur Levine
The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien
"Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?": A Psychologist Explains the Formation of Racial Identity, by Beverly Daniel Tatum
The Silmarillion, by J.R.R. Tolkien
Oddly Normal: One Family's Struggle to Help Their Teenage Son Come to Terms with His Sexuality, by John R. Schwartz
Sharaz-De, by Sergio Toppi
Miles, Mystery & Mayhem
Captain America: Winter Soldier Ultimate Collection, by Ed Brubaker
X-Men: Days of Future Past, by Chris Claremont
Hulk: WWH - World War Hulk, by Greg Pak
Reading Without Limits: A Practical Step-by-Step Guide for Helping Kids Become Lifelong Readers, by Maddie Witter
The Books of Magic, by Neil Gaiman
Hyperion, by Dan Simmons
Madame Bovary, by Gustave Flaubert
Everyday Antiracism: Getting Real About Race in School, by Mica Pollock
The Bluest Eye, by Toni Morrison
What's Wrong with Fat?, by Abigail C. Saguy
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (Fairyland, #2), by Catherynne M. Valente
What's Wrong with Homosexuality?, by John Corvino
The Genius of Dogs: How Dogs are Smarter than You Think, by Brian Hare
Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game, by Michael Lewis
The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game, by Michael Lewis
A History of Opera, by Carolyn Abbate
The Glamour of Gramar: A Guide to the Magic and Mystery of Practical English
The Reformation: A History, by Diarmaid MacCulloch

I'm not sure where I ought to start, so I suppose I'll just make it simple for myself and start with the oldest. I will naturally be skipping some of them, though!

I really enjoyed The Rhinoceros Who Quoted Nietzsche and Other Odd Acquaintances. I had expected to enjoy it; Peter S. Beagle is one of my favorite fantasy authors, after all. He has a very distinctive authorial voice that is instantly recognizable. He's not like, say, Gene Wolfe where he can seem completely different from book to book. With Beagle it's almost as if he's tapping into this Ur-Fairytale Storyteller voice. He has this wonderfully whimsical tone to his voice.

In this collection of short stories this tone occasionally created a bit of weirdness. There are a few stories that while not "horror stories" per se, do have horrifically violent elements in them. Despite this, my emotional response to the prose was almost detached disbelief. I don't know if it was intentional, but I actually liked the effect. It made what was happening - the supernatural happening in the real world - feel almost disembodied and surreal.

Rhinoceros also included several essays he wrote over the years. I was less enamored with these, and they honestly dragged my rating down. Read them if you are curious, but I recommend reading the short stories and skipping the essays.

Unearthing the Dragon was a rather boring book about a very interesting subject. I still liked it, but mostly because I learned some interesting things about the authors of one of the chapters in the far superior The Complete Dinosaur. I think my boredom was partially due to the author not being the most engaging writer, a bit too much about China and not enough about dinosaurs for my expectations, and the fact that much of it was what I already knew. Perhaps someone who hadn't recently read a gigantic book about dinosaurs it more interesting than I did.

A Canticle for Liebowitz was fantastic, though I preferred the earlier sections of the novel to what came later. I don't think that it ever became bad - or even "not great" - but I did really like the presentation of a postapocalyptic dark ages in which scientific knowledge had been lost. The book is more like a collection of novellas set in the same world with several time jumps as humanity recovers. I also learned recently that Le Guin had read him and appreciated him, and I can see why.

Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? was one of those books that I've known about for years but hadn't gotten around to reading. I had always sort of wondered as a kid why it seemed like everyone segregated themselves. I wasn't sure what it meant or what led to it, and I still wasn't really sure why it occurred even as an adult. So the book was really fascinating, although the answers were in retrospect something I should have been able to think of. I also really appreciated the chapters about affirmative action and support for it; there was interesting research demonstrating clear and consistent biases towards white candidates over black candidates and consistent underrating of the abilities of black candidates especially when black candidates were particularly qualified.

Sharaz-De is a short graphic novel (novella?) that is essentially a play on the Thousand And One Nights set-up (Royal personage is going to have some woman killed, she tells stories to stay alive). The art is absolutely gorgeous and while I can't speak to real authenticity I didn't think they felt like the author was "trying too hard."

The Book of Magic has pretty art but a horrendously unlikable protagonist and a plot that exists solely as a chance to show off random arcana and rare characters. I wouldn't suggest it to anyone.

Hyperion is amazeballs and everyone should read it and I need to read Keats now.

What's Wrong with Fat? is the first book about fat from a sociological (and a bit from a medical perspective, as well) that I have read. I learned a lot about research between health, weight, and fitness, and about how framing effects our understanding of this issue. It has made subsequent GAF topics more interesting because I feel like I can better see the framing a person is approaching the issue from. This book, a few blogs, and topics on GAF have had me thinking a lot and while I wouldn't say I have changed my opinions ... I do think that it has crystallized things for me. I had similar experiences with feminism, antiracism, and transgender issues - GAF leads to arguments leads to reading stuff online leads to blogs leads to GAF leads to better informed arguments leads to books and so forth. I don't think I've mentioned before how the people I argue with actually do (perhaps inadvertently) lead me to learning a lot.

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (Fairyland, #2) is fantastic, but everyone should read The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making first since this is a sequel!

What's Wrong with Homosexuality?, by John Corvino is one of the very best books about gay rights from a morals / ethics / philosophical approach that I have read and he references my other favorite, Richard D. Mohr's The Long Arc of Justice: Lesbian and Gay Marriage, EQuality, and Rights as one of his biggest influences. They are both fantastic primers for arguments about gay rights and (I think) have as fair portrayals of anti-gay arguments as you can reasonably get. Corvino's book is lighter and more recent, though, so I would suggest starting with it.

The Genius of Dogs: How Dogs are Smarter than You Think is awesome because dogs are awesome.

A History of Opera and The Reformation: A History are both those sorts of tome-like history books that have fascinating information on their respective subjects on every page and challenge preconceptions (if you have any) and are far too much to remember so you can't think of much of anything offhand. Or at least, that is my experience. I have been trying to get into opera more, and I think more than anything else what I have read about opera has expanded my interest in opera from one that is purely vocal to one that encompasses the staging and the libretti. I read the latter on Kabouter's suggestion. I remember whether he formally suggested it, but I know it was on his Goodreads feed as something he intended to read. He hasn't read it yet, and he's the history buff so I'm not sure what gives there.

--------

Oh, and just because...

Currently reading:

The Story of the Stone, by Cao Xueqin (some 2500 page 18th century Chinese monstrosity. I love it)
Troilus and Criseyde, by George Chaucer (some 14th century Romantic poem)

Criseyde should really stop listening to her uncle; she owes Troilus nothing.

The Fault in Our Stars
http://i.imgur.com/S5zpjPO.jpg

Dammit, I've already cried twice and I am only thirty percent through. I am sure there will be plenty more tears shed.

I finished The Fault in Our Stars, and I was correct that I shed many more tears.

Also finished The Murder on The Orient Express. And now I have started One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I've seen the movie, so it has been pretty interesting reading the book so far, which is told from the Chief's point of view.

2KQ2P1d.jpg

Wow. Now that's a heck of a list and great breakout of the books. I wish more of us took the time to review/describe the books we read, so we can get more discussion going. I'm going to try and do a better job when I finish a book. Mostly, I've been posting mini-summaries on the 50/50 challenge post.

Some of those sound quite interesting. I'm particularly interested in A Canticle for Liebowitz and Hyperion. So many books, so few free hours in the day.

berg ark

I need some help GAF. I'm looking for a book to read on a certain subject. A fictional story which is set in a post-apocalyptic setting, after a nuclear war. Does anyone have any tips (other than The Road)?

I might as well post what I'm reading at this moment:
catch-22.jpg

berg ark

That description fits a huge number of books. Something lighter and more fun? The Postman. Something dark and serious? On the Beach. Something in between? A Canticle for Leibowitz (highly recommended, btw).

Thanks a lot! I think I'll start with the last book you mentioned then - since I'm not really sure what I'm looking for and something in the middle should set the scene. And I'm loving Catch 22 so far, about halfway in, I have actually never laughed out loud so many times from reading a book before. I love the satirical way Heller writes in.

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (Fairyland, #2) is fantastic, but everyone should read The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making first since this is a sequel!

Glad to hear it. I read the first one last year and was actually planning on starting this one tomorrow!

Catch-22 is a top five favorite for me. It's hilarious and darkly disturbing all at the same time.

It was a weird time in the military and war, and in many ways it still is today. I happen to share the last name with a certain character who famously dies in the back of a plane after getting hit with flak. My parents/friends considered it a bit of an ominous sign when I decided to join the Air Force. Next year, when I finally pin on Major, I think my promotion party theme might find a way to honor Major Major Major Major.

Here's the excellent (and profoundly saddening) passage I was referencing above:
Heller sure could write.

oatmeal

Banned
I wanted to share this, it's a book my brother wrote (there are two more still)
davidhollow1_gaf.jpg

David Hollow is turning fifteen years old. On the day of his birthday he will be given the gun. He will watch his parents die. And he will be sent on an epic quest that will expose the truth lurking beneath the war—a war where mankind has forever fought the Enemy south of the Rim. David Hollow and the Guards of the Rim opens up a world of political intrigue not unlike our own, where men are soldiers and children’s futures are revealed by the King’s fortune-tellers in an effort to find one boy. One boy who will change everything. And David Hollow’s destiny is unfolding into legend, for he was born of a prophecy that put a mark over his heart and a price on his head. Will he reveal his purpose in the prophecy before it’s too late?

Guards of the Rim follows in the tradition of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower and George RR Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire where unforgettable heroes battle insidious villains in a melee that will ultimately shake the very foundations of the world. Of all worlds. The adventure has just begun!

Downloads
iPad Version - ePub
Kindle Version - mobi

Directions
On iPad - Click the link above and it will open a new page asking you to Open In... or Open in "iBooks". If you use iBooks, click that and it will add itself to your library. If you use another reader, click Open In... and select that reader.

On Kindle - I'm not sure if there's any way to download books directly on the Kindle. I only have a v3 and the browser is so limited. If it's possible, let me know and I'll update this.

Fjordson

I wanted to share this, it's a book my brother wrote (there are two more still)

Downloads
iPad Version - ePub
Kindle Version - mobi

Directions
On iPad - Click the link above and it will open a new page asking you to Open In... or Open in "iBooks". If you use iBooks, click that and it will add itself to your library. If you use another reader, click Open In... and select that reader.

On Kindle - I'm not sure if there's any way to download books directly on the Kindle. I only have a v3 and the browser is so limited. If it's possible, let me know and I'll update this.
Sounds neat, thanks! Just downloaded it for my Kindle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom