• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
^--- I read those books in the reverse order and still liked Nothing to Envy better. Orphan Master's son was too alternate-reality-feeling for me and the tone was just a bit too clever.

Celegus

So many reading The Name of the Wind so decided to blast through it. Enjoyed it so i've already downloaded the next one on my kindle.

Did get kind of tired of
kvothe running out of money and thinking about tuition/debt, then aquiring talents and thinking about how he was going to spend them. Got a bit boring. Also people blush a lot in this world. Bunch of red faced wimps.

I also got tired of that, but it is handled much better in the second book. The daily life parts in the first half of Wise Man's Fear are my favorite part of the whole series so far.

About to finish Mistborn: The Well of Ascension. I am getting really burnt out on fantasy. Time to take a break from the genre. Gonna try to find a good small town mystery book next.

Nezumi

Finished:

200px-Sweet_Silver_Blues.jpg

Fun read. A few times I had problems following the events because there just happens so much and the reader doesn't get all the information until later but in the end everything cleared up. Personally I would have liked a bit more description of the world. I mean if you mention the name of a place every few pages what it so hard about adding some information as to what it is like. Not that I need Tolkienesk level of detail but here I found it somewhat sparse at times. I did enjoy the characters though (especially Morley) so i guess I'll jump into the next book right away.

Nymerio

Finished:

200px-Sweet_Silver_Blues.jpg

Fun read. A few times I had problems following the events because there just happens so much and the reader doesn't get all the information until later but in the end everything cleared up. Personally I would have liked a bit more description of the world. I mean if you mention the name of a place every few pages what it so hard about adding some information as to what it is like. Not that I need Tolkienesk level of detail but here I found it somewhat sparse at times. I did enjoy the characters though (especially Morley) so i guess I'll jump into the next book right away.

EURrZwr.gif

If you liked the first book I think you'll like following books even more. Garrett, Morley, Saucerhead, The Dead Man are all such likable characters despite some of them being more on the shady side of things.

Anyway, I just finished Angry Lead Skies and just started Whispering Nickel Idols.

ilikeme

I've learned a great deal.

A great succinct take on (parts of) the Renaissance, the effect of the invention of printing, the usage of gunpowder in warfare, the economic effects of the colonization of the Americas, the rise of the sovereign state, on the Empire of Charles V, and lastly the reformation and revolution of the Catholic church: Luther, Zwingli, Calvin and the Peasant wars.

Luther on peasants: "Therefore let everyone who can, smite, slay, and stab, secretly or openly, remembering that nothing can be more poisonous, hurtful, or devilish than a rebel. It is just as when one must kill a mad dog; if you do not strike him, he will strike you, and a whole land with you."

Great usage of the english language in this one, almost inspired me to take up my bachelor's in english again.

I've seen beauty.

I don't really know what it is about this one, but it sure is attractive to me. Love it so far, even though it's not completely engaging. There is something about it. Will try to write up some thoughts when I've finished.

Dresden

^ Hagio is wonderful.

---

Read like ten pages of Elizabeth Bear's Range of Ghosts - it's one of the strongest openings for a fantasy novel I've ever read. Dunno if I'll have time to go through it right now, but looking forward to it when I do. It's been a long time since I last enjoyed an epic fantasy novel.

Also read a bit of:

Q3KvSER.jpg

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Started this again recently and am nearly finished (got a third of the way through last year and put it down for something else for some reason):

2eBHTDR.jpg

(reading this translation, will probably stick with them for other Russian literature)

Once I'm done with that I'm thinking of starting this:

MyMXMVB.jpg

10467.jpg

Weird book. But I like it.

Looks kinda cool. Added to my list.

I finished these

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

It was pretty good. I actually went through a phase where I collected girls named Krystal, with a K, and this dude does the same thing, Katherine with a K, except he went through 19 of them, I only managed 5 or 6. But yeah, I always wondered if I was the only dude to ever do something like that. Anyway so he goes on a roadtrip with his bestfriend to try and get himself over the latest Katherine that dumped him. Pretty good YA fare, my first John Green book, might check out more of his stuff.

Hard Twisted by C. Joseph Greaves

Also pretty good. Dark and gritty, set in depression era.

Trying to knock these out during the weekend

Constellation Games by Leonard Richardson

From the latest storybundle, sounded kinda cool and different.

And picked this up, hoping it's as good as The Alienist

The Anatomy of Deception by Lawrence Goldstone

Reyne

Jgn1yTx.jpg

So my mother ( who happens to be a teacher ) had this little gem lying about. Being home for the weekend, and quite bored, I decided to read it. Man...
Just a few chapters and I keep laughing at every other sentence. Somehow manages to be both depressing and hilarious. Like, he keeps writing about these common yet awkward situations but you can't help but smile because the way he writes about them. Not sure if I am reading a memoir or a comedy of some sort.

Hey I have some questions for all of you guys:

First, I was able to snag two books from a sale at my university the other day. It was $.50 per paperback, and I had a dollar so I grabbed these:

51lwxyECZzL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX240_SY320_CR,0,0,240,320_SH20_OU01_.jpg
51xGO2w3F2L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX240_SY320_CR,0,0,240,320_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Has anybody read either of them? For a dollar I think I can't do wrong. But the Brad Thor one is the 8th in a series according to a quick wikipedia look, but I mean these two were practically in new condition for so cheap I had to grab them.

Also, does anybody read Jonathan Maberry's Joe Ledger series? They are absolutely fantastic. A secret government organization that goes up against zombies, secret societies, vampires, and so on to save the world. It's very, very entertaining and I highly recommend them. Here's the covers of the entire series, the latest came out in march:

51C7P7i8tjL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX240_SY320_CR,0,0,240,320_SH20_OU01_.jpg
51CE7uPavjL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX240_SY320_CR,0,0,240,320_SH20_OU01_.jpg
512RLkc9oxL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX240_SY320_CR,0,0,240,320_SH20_OU01_.jpg
512ygB8MCYL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX240_SY320_CR,0,0,240,320_SH20_OU01_.jpg
51zVw3XffBL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX240_SY320_CR,0,0,240,320_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Currently making my way through A Game of Thrones and enjoying it quite a bit. Also reading The Odyssey which is surprisingly easy to read compared to a previous attempt at Greek poetry with The Aeneid.

Also, does anybody read Jonathan Maberry's Joe Ledger series? They are absolutely fantastic. A secret government organization that goes up against zombies, secret societies, vampires, and so on to save the world. It's very, very entertaining and I highly recommend them. Here's the covers of the entire series, the latest came out in march:

Love them as a guilty pleasure. I like the pace, storytelling and uncompromising violence. They get a bit same-y but remind me very much of the Jack Reacher novels .

Tenrius

Finished this yesterday. I went in completely blind, didn't know what the book would be about at all. Turned out to be very depressing, and somewhat horrifying. Can't say I didn't like it, but it did make me seriously sad for some reason.

duckroll

Just finished Leviathan Wakes based on a recommendation by dresden. It's pretty fast paced for a scifi actioner, so it was a rather fast read. For some reason the setting reminded me a lot of Starcraft's Terran stuff. I just couldn't shake it off. Maybe it's because I kept thinking of Holden as a a Jim Raynor type character. Probably not a bad thing though, since that's one of my favorite things about the Starcraft universe. :p

Some parts of the book worked better than others though. The escalation based narrative was pretty effective at first, but I think it did get a bit tiresome after about 2/3 of the book. Started to feel like a TV series where the writers had to try harder and harder to figure out what else could go wrong. Lol. I really liked the pen-ultimate twist in the endgame, but I can't say I really care for the final resolution. It just seemed really cheesy and kinda silly.

Still, the hook at the end for the next book seemed pretty intriguing, and I really dig the characters, so I'll be picking it up soon.

Nymerio

Started the next Garret P.I. book: Cruel Zink Melodies.

514LwNFJgxL.jpg

Only 2 more books to go though. I'm loving the dynamic between Morley and Garrett. I haven't laughed this much reading a book ever before.

Danielsan

uWokOFj.jpg

The Elephant Vanishes
I picked up my e-reader again this Sunday, after months of not reading any books, and finally finished up on Haruki Murakami's The Elephant Vanishes. A collection of short stories. Some really fun and great short stories can be found in in this collection, and it all definitely feels very Murakami. Still, I found myself having difficulties with having to start a fresh story every 20-30 pages. Especially when I'd hit a short that really struck a chord with me, only to have it end before I'd gotten my fill. Regardless, well worth the read for Murakami fans.

QUrI79d.jpg

Heart-Shaped Box
With The Elephant Vanishes finally out of the way. I turned to Joe Hill's Heart-Shaped Box. A book I've been meaning to read for a while now, but hadn't gotten around to due to the fact that I don't like starting a new book whilst letting another sit unfinished. I merely wanted to check out the first couple of pages, to see if Hill's writing style would suit me. Before I knew it I was 100 pages in. It's been a while since a book got me this good. I couldn't put it away. While I normally use my daily commute to work to catch some extra sleep, this week I found myself bringing my e-reader and reading instead. Finished up on it tonight and it's left my thoroughly satisfied. A gripping page turner.

Now I'm left wondering what to start next. I always find it hard to transition from one writing style to the next. Hopefully I'll start something that will keep me hooked to reading a little while longer.

velociraptor

51vFLvfKtZL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Have only began reading this (after finishing the first two books). First book was fantastic. Second was pretty good, but not great. Not sure about the third, but I guess we will see as the book goes on.

Bluemongoose

Neo Member
uWokOFj.jpg

The Elephant Vanishes
I picked up my e-reader again this Sunday, after months of not reading any books, and finally finished up on Haruki Murakami's The Elephant Vanishes. A collection of short stories. Some really fun and great short stories can be found in in this collection, and it all definitely feels very Murakami. Still, I found myself having difficulties with having to start a fresh story every 20-30 pages. Especially when I'd hit a short that really struck a chord with me, only to have it end before I'd gotten my fill. Regardless, well worth the read for Murakami fans.

I've never read Murakami but I just picked up IQ84. So far so good.

Woorloog

Banned
Finished
07c556c6-5383-46b8-a394-09dd0909237a_zps423a1c09.jpg

Pretty good. Didn't match my expectations though, on the hard-SF/space opera mix front.
I could go in detail about what i didn't like but that would make it look like i didn't like the book at all.
Not sure if i will read the sequel.

Need space opera and/or hard scifi (or even better, a mix of those two). Unfortunately, i seem to have read all the good stuff already, and others i try are either bad (like Seeds of Earth... was that the trilogy's name or the book's? Don't remember, don't remember author, was all crap) or just doesn't manage to hold my interest (Bank's Culture series, managed to halfway through the first book and stopped there).

Good stuff (IMO) i've read:
Frank Herbert (Dune series, haven't gotten my hands on his other works unfortunately)
Larry Niven (Need to find more of his works, read Ringworld series)
Isaac Asimov (Read almost all by him)
Arthur C. Clarke (Read a lot of his works)
Robert A. Heinlein (Read a few books, good but not really a fan, hard to find his books)
Peter F. Hamilton (All works, liked a lot, like how he doesn't avoid transhumanism)
Alastair Reynolds (Revelation Space series, some one shot, pretty good)
Orson Scott Card (Just Ender's Game, not ralyl wanting to read the rest
And there are others i can't remember. Or don't want to think about (like Dune sequels/prequels, reading them just because but never liking them)

In my sights: Elizabeth Moon's Vatta's War (or some such) series, what i've read about it sounds good. Unfortunately i can't find it (ordering online is not an option at the moment).

Tenrius

Finished
07c556c6-5383-46b8-a394-09dd0909237a_zps423a1c09.jpg

Pretty good. Didn't match my expectations though, on the hard-SF/space opera mix front.
I could go in detail about what i didn't like but that would make it look like i didn't like the book at all.
Not sure if i will read the sequel.

Need space opera and/or hard scifi (or even better, a mix of those two). Unfortunately, i seem to have read all the good stuff already, and others i try are either bad (like Seeds of Earth... was that the trilogy's name or the book's? Don't remember, don't remember author, was all crap) or just doesn't manage to hold my interest (Bank's Culture series, managed to halfway through the first book and stopped there).

Good stuff (IMO) i've read:
Frank Herbert (Dune series, haven't gotten my hands on his other works unfortunately)
Larry Niven (Need to find more of his works, read Ringworld series)
Isaac Asimov (Read almost all by him)
Arthur C. Clarke (Read a lot of his works)
Robert A. Heinlein (Read a few books, good but not really a fan, hard to find his books)
Peter F. Hamilton (All works, liked a lot, like how he doesn't avoid transhumanism)
Alastair Reynolds (Revelation Space series, some one shot, pretty good)
Orson Scott Card (Just Ender's Game, not ralyl wanting to read the rest
And there are others i can't remember. Or don't want to think about (like Dune sequels/prequels, reading them just because but never liking them)

In my sights: Elizabeth Moon's Vatta's War (or some such) series, what i've read about it sounds good. Unfortunately i can't find it (ordering online is not an option at the moment).

If you haven't read the Vorkosigan saga, then I strongly recommend it. It's that good!

Incidentally, I started A Civil Campaign yesterday.

Woorloog

Banned
If you haven't read the Vorkosigan saga, then I strongly recommend it. It's that good!

Incidentally, I started A Civil Campaign yesterday.

Read some stuff about the series i don't like at all (some mary sue characters apparently, something i can't stand).
But that's based on 3rd party sources, so i'm not giving that too much weight.

More of an issue is the goddamn length of the series.
15 books?
The problem with series that long is that either the thing never ends, or it has so crappy books at times it nearly kills any interest in the series (The Wheel of Time comes to mind but luckily it ended up all right).
If there's a moment that works just fine as an ending for the series earlier (like around 3rd or 4th book), then perhaps i can read it.

Will keep the series in mind though. If i find it.

EDIT i should add Timothy Zahn's Cobra Trilogy to the post above. Very good. Unfortunately i can't find the follow-up trilogy. Or Zahn's other works.

Mifune

Mehmber
Re-reading Gravity's Rainbow. It's been kind of magnificent this time around, although I'm not too far into it.

TripOpt55

I'm still working on A Dance with Dragons (about 350 pages in). These books have really got me back interested in reading post-college. I'm enjoying this book, but am also excited to try some other stuff once I'm done. Definitely some non-1000 page books too... haha. I have been taking down some recommendations from this thread and adding to my wishlist as well.

I'm currently reading/studying an insurance-based book called API 28, and let me tell you that it's an absolute thrilling read.

Can't complain too much though, after I take two more tests I'll get $200 just for completing the insurance designation and it'll look good on a resume.

thomaser

Can't wait until my last exam is done on June 6th. After that, I'll finally get to do some "fun" reading again. My summer line-up tentatively consists of Murakami's 1Q84 and Bolano's 2666 along with some shorter books. Really looking forward to it! Until then, re-reads of books about sociolinguistics and the English language.

Woorloog

Banned
The fuck? Someone said the fucking Vorkosigan series has Mary Sue characters?

Fucking Christ on a bike, that term has officially lost all meaning.
*shrug*
If i say Ender from Ender's Game is a Mary Sue character, what will you say?
No, i don't like Ender in the book. And no, i'm not sure if he actually is a Mary Sue (or Marty Stu, Ender being male, if someone insists on using that name). Just wondering what you say on this.
This isn't your Wheel of Time or ASOIAF. Every book is standalone. There's plenty of continuity, but you could easily put it down after the first book, or after the second, or pretty much anywhere.

Some of the later books wouldn't be as strong without knowledge of the early books, but you could still easily read them as standalone.
Well. I'll see if i can find some early book (in-universe and IRL). Prefer to start from the beginning.
Going to need something to read and this is the most recommended so far...

I hate how Finland has good libraries but they have lousy selection of books in English (even worse when looking for scifi/fantasy). They don't translate enough scifi/fantasy to Finnish. And they don't get the newer stuff. (And i don't buy books in Finnish because English softcover pocket book costs about 10€, compared to Finnish hardcover (never see softcovers) 30-40€)

Tenrius

Well. I'll see if i can find some early book (in-universe and IRL). Prefer to start from the beginning.

The Warrior's Apprentice is the best starting point, it's also where the series proper starts. Shards of Honor and Barrayar aka prequels taking place before and shortly after birth of Miles Vorkosigan are not bad either, but you can always read them later. So if you're getting one book, get The Warrior's Apprentice if possible.

It's also worth noting that the books feel very different, in a good way. The fact that they are all more or less stand-alone stories (with their outcomes affecting various things in the future) provides a great opportunity to experiment with genres, themes and POV characters, and that opportunity is not missed.

And for Tenrius, I'd say you've passed the absolute peak of the series (Mirror Dance/Memory), but there's still some good stuff. Civil Campaign is a blast.

It's surprising how fast I read through it. I don't normally read long series back to back, but this time I went through 11 books barely even noticing that there were so many.

Finished Header last night. Really quick read. Given its reputation, I was pretty disappointed. Admittedly the act of getting a header is pretty gross, but Lee doesn't go anywhere else. After the first Header, the act loses its impact as its repeated. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the book. I just wish Lee had cranked up the splatter as things progressed, instead of relying on the same beat throughout the story.

Anyway, now I'm on to Barbie Wilde's debut novel.

BZUIX6m.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
The Warrior's Apprentice is the best starting point, it's also where the series proper starts. Shards of Honor and Barrayar aka prequels taking place before and shortly after birth of Miles Vorkosigan are not bad either, but you can always read them later. So if you're getting one book, get The Warrior's Apprentice if possible.

Noted, thank you.
Now, if i can remember all the relevant info (the book's name, the author) the next time i visit a bookstore... (no, don't have smartphone for internet access. And no, i doubt writing it somewhere helps, for i forget the paper...)

argon

Finished up the Book of the new Sun last week and immediately started on its sequel. Within the first couple chapters it really explains a lot about the previous books. It's also a much easier read than the prior novels. Entertaining so far.

I'm also currently in the middle of reading Claudius the God. I don't know if Gene Wolfe drew influence from I, Claudius when he wrote the New Sun books, but I see some definite stylistic parallels there. Both novels are faux autobiographies with an unreliable narrator who "stumbles" to the throne. So far Claudius the God (and its predecessor) are among my favorites and I look forward to reading other work from Robert Graves.

Danielsan

jhMcU6a.jpg

Ender's Game
Due to the fact that the movie adaptation is almost out and already has the first trailers releasing, I figured it would a be good time to pick up Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game as my next book. I haven't watched the trailer and somehow managed to go in not knowing too much. I started reading the first chapter last night and I'm about one third of the way through and I'm loving it so far! I suspect to finish it within a day or two.

Tom_Cody

uckEnz6.jpg

I'm currently enjoying Stephen King's Under the Dome. It had been on my list forever and I wanted to make sure to finally read it before the debut of the TV show this summer.

vVC2x1E.jpg

Next up will Eric Schmidt (the executive chairman of Google) & Jared Cohen's The New Digital Age. It is pretty short so I'm sort of tempted to just bang it out but I think I'm going to finish Under the Dome first. Everything I've heard about this book has sounded fascinating.

Woorloog

Banned
Duh, bookstore didn't have Vorkosigan saga books. Didn't have anything else i was looking for either.
And didn't feel like picking random books, hoping they'd be interesting, didn't work out last time i did that.

So i'm re-reading some Starcraft books. And then re-reading The Alloy of Law.
Feels like re-reading is all i do.

Nezumi

Duh, bookstore didn't have Vorkosigan saga books. Didn't have anything else i was looking for either.
And didn't feel like picking random books, hoping they'd be interesting, didn't work out last time i did that.

So i'm re-reading some Starcraft books. And then re-reading The Alloy of Law.
Feels like re-reading is all i do.

How is the e-book market in finnland? Because getting a Kindle was sure the answer to all my book problems.

Woorloog

Banned
How is the e-book market in finnland? Because getting a Kindle was sure the answer to all my book problems.

I can't stand reading books from a display (tried).
Give me a proper book or nothing. EDIT applies to audio-books as well. Don't like listening, i need to read myself or i can't follow what's happening, imagine how things look, etc.

http://i.imgur.com/mA7NHp0.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Finished up the Book of the new Sun last week and immediately started on its sequel. Within the first couple chapters it really explains a lot about the previous books. It's also a much easier read than the prior novels. Entertaining so far.

I'm also currently in the middle of reading Claudius the God. I don't know if Gene Wolfe drew influence from I, Claudius when he wrote the New Sun books, but I see some definite stylistic parallels there. Both novels are faux autobiographies with an unreliable narrator who "stumbles" to the throne. So far Claudius the God (and its predecessor) are among my favorites and I look forward to reading other work from Robert Graves.

I'll have to take a look at these and pass them on to my pops if I like them. He's thought about teaching Wolfe's New Sun books before, and this might spur him on to actually creating a syllabus/class with them.

I've been rereading:
9780140133486.jpg

One of my favorite books that feels completely authentic to friendship, anxiety, jealousy, pride. Beginning towards the end of the Depression, It's a portrayal of the frienships and relationships in its ups and downs over the course of many years.

Woorloog

Banned
Even the e-ink displays without backlight? I wouldn't want to read with a tablet either, but those readers are actually made for reading?

Look, the stuff being on printed on a paper is part of the appeal.
There is no danger of running out of battery (or being limited by wires).
I can make dogears on pages. I can check things anywhere else from the book fast without losing the part where i am.
It doesn't matter what kinda the display is, i hate reading from one (that is, for long stretches, and when i read books, i usually read 50-100 at least before doing something else).

Nezumi

Look, the stuff being on printed on a paper is part of the appeal.
There is no danger of running out of battery (or being limited by wires).
I can make dogears on pages. I can check things anywhere else from the book fast without losing the part where i am.
It doesn't matter what kinda the display is, i hate reading from one (that is, for long stretches, and when i read books, i usually read 50-100 at least before doing something else).

Ok, I can get behind the bolded parts (though the thought of making dog-ears causes me physical pain). But readig with a reader is in no way harder on the eyes than with a normal book and the battery needs to be charged maybe once a month (I read a lot).
Again, I can get why people prefer real books for nostalgic reasons but especially when it comes to convinence and availability of books (at least where I live) they don't hold a candle to my reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom