• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac_Lane

memoires-de-guerre-gaulle-10.jpg

Funny thing is I don't think it was ever translated in English. Which is odd, considering he was one of the greatest Statesmen of the 20th century.

Woorloog

Banned
Ok, I can get behind the bolded parts (though the thought of making dog-ears causes me physical pain). But readig with a reader is in no way harder on the eyes than with a normal book and the battery needs to be charged maybe once a month (I read a lot).
Again, I can get why people prefer real books for nostalgic reasons but especially when it comes to convinence and availability of books (at least where I live) they don#t hold a candle to my reader.

Don't give a crap about what's hard for the eyes. Not about that.
Did i mention the sound of turning a page? (Yes yes, some devices/tablets can imitate that, but those sound horrible, i hate my electronics making any sort noise)
As for convenience... bah, luxury. Loses against the right feel.
Besides, i'm damn picky about what i like and read already, availability on e-readers is not going to be any better, more likely it will worse.

Price i can imagine being positive, books on e-readers aren't costing 10€, are they?
If they're, then there's absolutely no reason for me to get one (in a hypothetical scenario where i'd be willing to get one at all).

Nezumi

Don't give a crap about what's hard for the eyes. Not about that.
Did i mention the sound of turning a page? (Yes yes, some devices/tablets can imitate that, but those sound horrible, i hate my electronics making any sort noise)
As for convenience... bah, luxury. Loses against the right feel.
Besides, i'm damn picky about what i like and read already, availability on e-readers is not going to be any better, more likely it will worse.

Price i can imagine being positive, books on e-readers aren't costing 10€, are they?
If they're, then there's absolutely no reason for me to get one (in a hypothetical scenario where i'd be willing to get one at all).

Well... let's see... Vorkosigan saga... yupp, could have them on my reader in less than a minute for around 3-5 € a piece ;)

But I'm not selling those things and will stop trying to convince you of there awsomeness now. It was just that reading how you failed to optain something to read was sad.

Woorloog

Banned
Well... let's see... Vorkosigan saga... yupp, could have them on my reader in less than a minute for around 3-5 € a piece ;)

But I'm not selling those things and will stop trying to convince you of there awsomeness now. It was just that reading how you failed to optain something to read was sad.

I blame that on the fact the scifi/fantasy book section is in the corner of the bookstore, and seemingly rarely checked. A lot of empty shelf-space. EDIT and stuff that is less known or not as popular is not well available, especially if it is from earlier than 90s, seemingly.
Scifi/fantasy-ghetto, you know?
The store used to have better selection, when the shelves were near the center... At least, i feel that was the case.

Ah, well, i'll check one other store someday, didn't have time for that today.

By the way, what kinda DRM arrangements do those E-readers have? Download limits, anything?
I can misplace a book but at least it won't ever vanish to digital oblivion.
Not that this would really bother me, can't bother me since i'm a Steam user for most PC games...

Woorloog

Banned
One more positive, a big one, that normal books have.
If you really hate a book, you can burn it.
I doubt anyone's going to burn their e-reader. And merely deleting a file is not as satisfying.

No, i haven't done this, never read a book so bad.

Danielsan

I doubt anyone's going to burn their e-reader. And merely deleting a file is not as satisfying.

I don't blame you for wanting to stick with old fashioned paper books, but you're honestly stretching a lot with your arguments against e-readers. Just say you prefer the look, touch and feel of paper books and have that be it. No one is forcing you to buy an e-reader.

The only thing I miss about paper books myself if putting them on display as trophies/a reflection of my tastes. Other than that, I could not be happier with my Kobo.

Woorloog

Banned
I don't blame you for wanting to stick with old fashioned paper books, but you're honestly stretching a lot with your arguments against e-readers. Just say you prefer the look, touch and feel of paper books and have that be it. No one is forcing you to buy an e-reader.

Streching? I stated why i don't like them (well, more like why i prefer normal books).
Primary is still that i don't like reading from a display (never actually figured out why this is the case, reckon it is tiring but not sure).
That and as i said, the feel of a book in my hands is part of reading.

I'm not arguing agaisnt e-readers, i'm saying i don't like them. You want to use one, fine, whatever, zero impact on me.

And no, i didn't feel like someone was forcing me to buy one.

Danielsan

Streching? I stated why i don't like them (well, more like why i prefer normal books).
Primary is still that i don't like reading from a display (never actually figured out why this is the case, reckon it is tiring but not sure).

I'm not arguing agaisnt e-readers, i'm saying i don't like them. You want to use one, fine, whatever, zero impact on me.

When you put the ability to burn a book as a big plus, I consider it stretching, yes. Same kinda goes for availability, which tends to be better, rather than worse.

Again your points about the feel, sound and to a certain extent look are perfectly valid. :)
Though I will say that the difference in eye strain between an e-reader and a book are probably close to zero.

Woorloog

Banned
When you put the ability to burn a book as a big plus, I consider it stretching, yes. Same kinda goes for availability, which tends to be better, rather than worse.

Again your points about the feel, sound and to a certain extent look are perfectly valid. :)
Though I will say that the difference in eye strain between an e-reader and a book are probably close to zero.

The point about burning was more or less a joke. But who would burn an e-reader?
Of course, who would read a book so bad they want to burn it in the first place?
Actually, that's a stupid question, many people seem to be masochistic in some ways.

I don't really know why i don't like reading from a display.
Long streches of reading from a display don't feel good though. Perhaps i keep all the displays too bright? Or contrast thing?

Dresden

While I appreciate the heft and feel of some books, if you like genre fiction (especially fantasy), e-readers are the only way to go. That Way of Kings copy can probably kill someone.

Tenrius

E-ink is not a usual display, it's a printed page essentially as it doesn't produce any light whatsoever. You sound like you haven't seen one, so maybe you should check it out someday. By the way, I can share some of your arguments, but damn, how I hated them pocket-sized paperbacks which would shut close on their own all the time. Huge ass hardcovers aren't much better as you can't hold them with one hand (I bought the huge hardcover edition of ADWD, reading it in the bath was a sad affair). I can't imagine anybody missing any of that stuff after switching over to e-ink, honestly.

... What?

Dresden

The Berserker books was the shit, when I was young. Dunno how it'd hold up now but they were entertaining as fuck back in the day. Surprisingly forward-thinking implementation of man-machine warfare, too.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Based on past threads, I'm guessing American Gods is Gaf's most read book. I see new people posting it every month. Hell, I learned about it years ago in one of these threads.

Currently reading:

51sgelNfFPL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX225_SY300_CR,0,0,225,300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Danielsan

E-ink is not a usual display, it's a printed page essentially as it doesn't produce any light whatsoever. You sound like you haven't seen one, so maybe you should check it out someday. By the way, I can share some of your arguments, but damn, how I hated them pocket-sized paperbacks which would shut close on their own all the time. Huge ass hardcovers aren't much better as you can't hold them with one hand (I bought the huge hardcover edition of ADWD, reading it in the bath was a sad affair). I can't imagine anybody missing any of that stuff after switching over to e-ink, honestly.
... What?
Yep. Trying to a read a book one handed and having to deal with the fold used to be a pain in the ass. Trying to read the hard copies of Murakami's 1Q84 is far from convenient as well. I was skeptical about e-ink at first, but once I saw it in person and realized it actually is just like reading a paper book I was converted.

While I appreciate the heft and feel of some books, if you like genre fiction (especially fantasy), e-readers are the only way to go. That Way of Kings copy can probably kill someone.

I was at a Barnes and Nobles the other day, the first time I've been in a bookstore in a year, and I saw the size of the pyhsical copies of GoT, Abercrombie books, and some of Pete Hamilton books and in my head I said to myself "Thank God for the Kindle".

Tenrius

I'm making my way through several books

200px-Roadside-picnic-macmillan-cover.jpg

Wonder if they put Tale of the Troika there. It's a sequel to Monday Begins on Saturday, which is a better book and the sequel takes a significantly different direction, too. Roadside Picnic is alright (all the STALKER stuff is loosely based on it, in case somebody didn't know), but I've never been a fan, personally.

Woorloog

Banned
Any nearby public libraries? I pretty much never buy books, due to having a few good libraries near me.

Adressed this on the previous page.
Libraries in Finland are generally good. Have one just a half a kilometer away, though it is rather small (with surprisingly "good" selection of scifi/fantasy for its size).
As long as you're fine with rather limited no-new, translated-only scifi/fantasy selection (really, most of this stuff is from 80s or older. That's not a bad thing in itself, lack of new stuff bothers me. Also, don't like reading in Finnish, quite a lot of scifi/fantasy stuff just doesn't translate well to Finnish, IMO, along with English being somewhat more nuanced language).
And i'm not fine with it.
Read all of it (seriously), that wasn't for young adults (since that stuff is usually in my experience crap). Well, read all of it i liked anyway, didn't like most of the selection ultimately.

So, i buy books new (well, used would be fine as well but there's no used bookstore anywhere near, that i know of).
Unfortunately at least at the moment the selection is not the best.
Would order online but that is out of question at the moment...

Wonder if they put Tale of the Troika there. It's a sequel to Monday Begins on Saturday, which is a better book and the sequel takes a significantly different direction, too. Roadside Picnic is alright (all the STALKER stuff is loosely based on it, in case somebody didn't know), but I've never been a fan, personally.

I don't think it's in my actual copy, but this was the first image I found of the book.

I'm digging it so far, but sometimes the sparse description is too sparse to really get a grasp on what they're trying to say . . . but for now, I'm chalking that up to the translation.

Pau

Adressed this on the previous page.
Libraries in Finland are generally good.
As long as you're fine with rather limited no-new, translated-only scifi/fantasy selection (really, most of this stuff is from 80s or older. That's not a bad thing in itself, lack of new stuff bothers me. Also, don't like reading in Finnish, quite a lot of scifi/fantasy stuff just doesn't translate well to Finnish, IMO, along with English being somewhat more nuanced language).
And i'm not fine with it.
Read all of it (seriously), that wasn't for young adults (since that stuff is usually in my experience crap). Well, read all of it i liked anyway, didn't like most of the selection ultimately.

So, i buy books new (well, used would be fine as well but there's no used bookstore anywhere near, that i know of).
Unfortunately at least at the moment the selection is not the best.
Would order online but that is out of question at the moment...
Don't skip out on all the young adult science fiction or fantasy. Well, more fantasy. I think Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea falls into that and it's one of the best fantasy series around. Diana Wynne Jones is also amazing if you're looking for a light, fun and incredibly imaginative read. I don't think anyone else in the genre has matched her imagination yet. Oh, and of course Neil Gaiman does really good young adult/children fiction as well that I'd say is better than his adult stuff. (But I know I'm in the minority there.)

I got a Nook back when they first came out but never really used it because I didn't like the selection of stuff available. Maybe nowadays there's more variety. I've taken a year long break from reading after not enjoying or being able to finish the majority of what I was reading. Don't know where to start after I finish Nausicaa.

ShaneB

Biggest plus of my kindle is I can move 1000 books as easily as moving a bottle of ketchup.

This is it for me. I'll I still love going to book stores and browsing and admiring a wall of books, but it's not what I want in my home. I love knowing I've got a mountain of books right on my eReader.

Woorloog

Banned
Don't skip out on all the young adult science fiction or fantasy. Well, more fantasy. I think Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea falls into that and it's one of the best fantasy series around. Diana Wynne Jones is also amazing if you're looking for a light, fun and incredibly imaginative read. I don't think anyone else in the genre has matched her imagination yet. Oh, and of course Neil Gaiman does really good young adult/children fiction as well that I'd say is better than his adult stuff. (But I know I'm in the minority there.)

I said most of it was crap in my experience. So i tend to skip it. I'll read it, if there's good stuff (Artemis Fowl comes to mind). But those are rare.
And Earthsea is not really young adult stuff. IMO. Pretty good, but not quite what i like, when it comes to fantasy (for scifi, i can say what i like, roughly. Fantasy? ASOIAF. Anything like it will be good. Probably).

A note on YA books: didn't like them even as young adult. Read some, and found them too simplistic, from prose to themes and characters.

The book that got me really to reading?
Frank Herbert's Dune. Complex stuff, absolutely not really meant for young adults.
Read it when i was... 10? I don't remember, but something like that. EDIT hell, i read the sequel, Dune Messiah a few years later at most, and liked it as well).
Loved it. Love it. Read it every year, or close enough.

Tenrius

Another good YA series which comes to mind is the Batrimaeus series which starts with The Amulet of Samarkand. I actually only read the first book back when it was released, wasn't able to locate the sequels at first, and then just forgot about it. Oh, and then there is His Dark Materials.

I said most of it was crap in my experience. So i tend to skip it. I'll read it, if there's good stuff (Artemis Fowl comes to mind). But those are rare.
And Earthsea is not really young adult stuff. IMO. Pretty good, but not quite what i like, when it comes to fantasy (for scifi, i can say what i like, roughly. Fantasy? ASOIAF. Anything like it will be good. Probably).

A note on YA books: didn't like them even as young adult. Read some, and found them too simplistic, from prose to themes and characters.

Frank Herbert's Dune. Complex stuff, absolutely not really meant for young adults.
Read it when i was... 10? I don't remember, but something like that. EDIT hell, i read the sequel, Dune Messiah a few years later at most, and liked it as well).

Lol, I first read through LotR when I was five, didn't keep me from enjoying a variety of much more simple books (along with other complex stuff). Speaking of which, I am and will probably always be a fan of the Moomins. How do you guys feel about those books?

This is it for me. I'll I still love going to book stores and browsing and admiring a wall of books, but it's not what I want in my home. I love knowing I've got a mountain of books right on my eReader.

I'm pretty much going to limit my physical purchases to authors/books I know I love and do the ebooks for things I'm just kinda "eh" on.

edit: but I'm also the kind of person who doesn't mind buying some duplicates for things I really /really/ like.

Pau

Which reminds me!

A YA scifi book from the 90s. Bit slow-paced, especially at the start, as the twin brother main characters explore the mysterious house and grounds they've been sent to house-sit. Gets more exciting and goes some surprisingly dark places, though. And while the ending fizzles a little, the characters ring true and the plot is interesting. Good read.
Well with a cover like that how can I say no? :p

I dunno. Dune to me is like the epitome of young adult. But really, it's a blurry line. I was only mentioning stuff that you'd find in the young adult section that you might have missed, sorry. Earthsea has won numerous children's literature awards so it's definitely in that realm. Doesn't make it any less good though.

Woorloog

Banned
I dunno. Dune to me is like the epitome of young adult. But really, it's a blurry line. I was only mentioning stuff that you'd find in the young adult section that you might have missed, sorry. Earthsea has won numerous children's literature awards so it's definitely in that realm. Doesn't make it any less good though.

Well, perhaps Dune is appealing to young adults due to young protagonist and adventure feel, but the themes and various other complexities are far from the usual young adult novels.
Regardless, its sequels certainly are not YA novels.

Don't understand how Earthsea is classed as children's literature but then formal classifications rarely make any sense to me.
Of course, that could explain why i didn't really like it. Being meant for young and children.

If Dune were released today for the first time, it would firmly be marketed as YA. The definitions have changed. If you're refusing to read YA stuff because it's too "immature" or whatever for you, then you've missed quite a few good reads in the past five years.

Also, e-books for life. I'll never go back to print. I can't think of a single pro compared to digital. Everything Woorloog posted in favor of printed novels confirms that e-readers are better.

I have 250+ books waiting for me on my e-reader. I take it with me wherever I go. Easy to make notes and highlight. Never need to use a bookmark. Can swap back and forth between stuff at the drop of a hat. I can purchase and be reading a new novel in roughly 15 seconds. The selection is markedly better than what I can find at my local bookstore. And, oddly enough, I find that I read a heck of a lot faster on the e-reader...not sure why.

Woorloog

Banned
If Dune were released today for the first time, it would firmly be marketed as YA. The definitions have changed. If you're refusing to read YA stuff because it's too "immature" or whatever for you, then you've missed quite a few good reads in the past five years.

In my experience, most YA stuff is crap. And as i said, i'm willing to read them, if they're good (applies to every book, i don't buy books blindly, outside a couple of authors whom i know i like for sure). So, if there are recommendations, i may check them out. EDIT well, as long as we stay withing scifi/fantasy. And within certain sub-genres (don't really care for cyberpunk for example).

As for e-reader stuff again...
Can't store e-reader books in shelves. Sure, takes space, but looks good. Gives an apartment character. Books double as furniture, so to speak...
Besides, it is always fun to see guests watching the shelf in great interest (and/or amazement), asking questions.

Setre

Finished

OMV0w5j.jpg

Was thinking of moving on to The Dinner by Herman Koch before diving into A Clash of Kings. If anyone has any other recommendations for a shortish novel (under 300 pages) I'm game as well.

Danielsan

jhMcU6a.jpg

Ender's Game
Due to the fact that the movie adaptation is almost out and already has the first trailers releasing, I figured it would a be good time to pick up Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game as my next book. I haven't watched the trailer and somehow managed to go in not knowing too much. I started reading the first chapter last night and I'm about one third of the way through and I'm loving it so far! I suspect to finish it within a day or two.
Quoting myself to say that I just finished Ender's Game. Pretty much spend the majority of the day reading, taking little breaks every chapter or so (what can I say, I'm not that fast a reader). Thoroughly enjoyed the book. I don't normally start and finish a book within the span of 24 hours, so that should serve as more than enough praise.

Now to decide what to read next. Maybe I'll manage to finish a fourth book before the end of the week. Certainly would be a first for me. I don't think I ever even finished that many books in a single month.

Quoting myself to say that I just finished Ender's Game. Pretty much spend the majority of the day reading, taking little breaks every chapter or so (what can I say, I'm not that fast a reader). Thoroughly enjoyed the book. I don't normally start and finish a book within the span of 24 hours, so that should serve as more than enough praise.

Now to decide what to read next. Maybe I'll manage to finish a fourth book before the end of the week. Certainly would be a first for me. I don't think I ever even finished that many books in a single month.

I'd go on to Speaker of the Dead and then just quit the series after that.

Danielsan

I've put Speaker of the Dead on my to-read list. I'd like to keep things a bit varied though so I just started reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods. Seems to be book a lot of GAFfers are reading/have read. Just finished the first chapter and so far so good.

yU47exS.jpg

I love Speaker of the Dead, and while I'm not in love with Xenocide, I really enjoyed Children of the Mind and where the story goes.

Even so, I think I'd recommend Ender's Shadow over Speaker of the Dead. I like Speaker of the Dead quite a bit more (right up there with Ender's Game) but the tonal and setting shift is pretty huge.

That said, I read Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow pretty far apart from each other, so I don't know if reading them back to back would burn you out on revisiting so much of same points. My inkling is that it wouldn't just because the Bean perspective really is quite different.

I read Ender's Shadow about a year after Game and had a good time. I read Speaker about a decade after Game and liked it a lot.

That separation is probably larger than necessary, but it's not really a sequel.

Yep, my suggestion is always to read Ender's Game and then press on with the Shadow series. I find that storyline more enjoyable.

I wasn't a big fan of Xenocide and thought Children of the Mind completely jumped the shark.

Bean's Saga isn't bad for the first 3 or 4 books, but then even they get pretty ridiculous imo.

Different folks, different strokes though.

Li Kao

Hmm, I don't read often, because ironically while I am pure literary-type person and even would be writer in another life, I have reading OCD and my life is shit. Here's for the positive intro.

But these days I'm tempted to try what I would call, what... melancholic fantastic ?
* Perfect Circle by Sean Stewart
* Memoirs of a Master Forger by William Heaney / Graham Joyce
* Mickelsson's Ghosts by John Gardner
Not for the sadness that appears to be present but this mix of real life problems and fantastic is intriguing me.

And as a side note I'm also pretty intrigued by some book on psycho-geography. At first I couldn't care less about this cultural domain, but I don't know why, time passed and I'm more and more curious about it.

Sorry, not really a reading now post, I hope it's still acceptable.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole

Been awhile since I've read anything. Decent, he has gotten a bit "political" and very "current events" but it's still pretty good. They are making a movie out of his books and I hope it turns out good, has the makings....... would be a cool animated series.

Check out the audio book, full voice cast. Real good.

Mastadon

Banned
DboTu9R.jpg

Goodreads said:
A brother is as easily forgotten as an umbrella. James Joyce, Ulysses Recently having abandoned his RD Laing-influenced experiment in running a therapeutic community - the so-called Concept House in Willesden - maverick psychiatrist Zack Busner arrives at Friern Hospital, a vast Victorian mental asylum in North London, under a professional and a marital cloud. He has every intention of avoiding controversy, but then he encounters Audrey Dearth, a working-class girl from Fulham born in 1890 who has been immured in Friern for decades. A socialist, a feminist and a munitions worker at the Woolwich Arsenal, Audrey fell victim to the encephalitis lethargica sleeping sickness epidemic at the end of the First World War and, like one of the subjects in Oliver Sacks' Awakenings, has been in a coma ever since. Realising that Audrey is just one of a number of post-encephalitics scattered throughout the asylum, Busner becomes involved in an attempt to bring them back to life - with wholly unforeseen consequences

This is work. The stream of consciousness without pause makes it pretty challenging and exhausting, but it's really starting to grow on me. The writing style lends it an incredible sense of immersion, although it can be quite jarring and confusing when it slips to different characters with no warning at all.

Will Self is still a bit of a wanker, though.

Nezumi

Finished

ablg.jpg

I really enjoyed the trilogy. Lirial was my favorite though. Thought that the ending was a bit too drawn out in this one and some of the "revalations" didn't came as much of a surprise.

Now I'll start:

Jhereg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom