• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

I could google but lets have a discussion instead. What is psycho-geography?

Well, I'm glad that you asked because... hmm not really glad, I'm clearly not fully grasping the thing myself ;-), hence the desire to read a certain book on it, which I didn't name because it is in French.
The quote that come the most often when you google this domain is one by the intellectual Guy Debor : "the study of the precise laws and specific effects of the geographical environment, consciously organized or not, on the emotions and behavior of individuals."

Oversimplifying it, because I'm NOT the man to talk to to fully understand the thing, it would be the study of how some urban environments affect our feelings. And as I said, while at first I dismissed this as 'oh god not interested' and 'a little too masturbatory', the concept crept with me and I'm feeling more and more interested in it and other social / urban studies.

Tenrius

Well, I'm glad that you asked because... hmm not really glad, I'm clearly not fully grasping the thing myself ;-), hence the desire to read a certain book on it, which I didn't name because it is in French.
The quote that come the most often when you google this domain is one by the intellectual Guy Debor : "the study of the precise laws and specific effects of the geographical environment, consciously organized or not, on the emotions and behavior of individuals."

Oversimplifying it, because I'm NOT the man to talk to to fully understand the thing, it would be the study of how some urban environments affect our feelings. And as I said, while at first I dismissed this as 'oh god not interested' and 'a little too masturbatory', the concept crept with me and I'm feeling more and more interested in it and other social / urban studies.

So it's like the broken windows theory, but on a larger scale?

Li Kao

So it's like the broken windows theory, but on a larger scale?

While it is the first time I read about this theory and as I said I'm in no way knowledgeable about psycho-geography, it sure seems that way. The broken windows being more focused on the criminal/vandalism side of things while psycho-geography would be a broader study.

---

In order to be a little more, I don't know... helpful ?... let's say not talking solely with my limited understanding, here's the books I'm talking about.

Firstly the French book, which is of no interest if you don't read the language.

http://www.moutons-electriques.fr/livre-161

And more importantly on an English speaking message board, the book on which the French one is based and expands upon.
http://www.amazon.com/Psychogeography-Pocket-Essential-Merlin-Coverley/dp/1842433474/ref=la_B0034OA3Q0_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368109342&sr=1-1

Here's the editor's blurb :
The term "psychogeography" is used to illustrate a bewildering array of ideas, from ley lines and the occult to urban walking and political radicalism—where does it come from and what exactly does it mean?
Psychogeography is the point where psychology and geography meet in assessing the emotional and behavioral impact of urban space. The relationship between a city and its inhabitants is measured firstly through an imaginative and literary response, secondly on foot through walking the city. This creates a tradition of the writer as walker and has both a literary and a political component. This guide examines the origins of psychogeography in the Situationist Movement of the 1950s, exploring the theoretical background and its political applications as well as the work of early practitioners such as Guy Debord and Raoul Vaneigem. Elsewhere, psychogeographic ideas continue to find retrospective validation in much earlier traditions from the visionary writing of William Blake and Thomas De Quincey to the rise of the flâneur on the streets of 19th century Paris and on through the avant-garde experimentation of the Surrealists. These precursors are discussed here alongside their modern counterparts, for today these ideas hold greater currency than ever through the popularity of writers and filmmakers such as Iain Sinclair and Peter Ackroyd, Stewart Home and Patrick Keiller. This guide offers both an explanation and definition of the terms involved, an analysis of the key figures and their work, and practical information on psychogeographical groups and organizations.

The French cover is a beautiful thing IMHO

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Stata_Survival_Manual_314X400.jpg

Shit is important.

Judge and Jury by James Patterson, first book I've read by him. Absolutely loved it, couldn't put it down, finished it in two sitting. Story would make a brilliant movie.
Was recommended by a few friends as a good starting point for Patterson as advised lots of his books are rather run of the mill.

Anyone got any recommendations of anything similar to this? Loved to read more like it.

L2VZBLL.jpg

Mr.Ock

So guys, after rereading ASoIaF I'm craving for some more fantasy. What about the Malazan books? I've heard good things about them, what do you think, gaf?

Larsa

So guys, after rereading ASoIaF I'm craving for some more fantasy. What about the Malazan books? I've heard good things about them, what do you think, gaf?

They are fantastic. Probably the only fantasy series I enjoy as much as ASOIAF. Just some fantastic characters and events in that series. They are also finished which is a big plus and it wraps up extremely well. Can be a bit of a shock after ASOIAF since it leans a lot more on the fantasy elements. The first book can be a little rough, it was written like 10 years before the rest of the series and it shows in some spots.

I always hear good things about Malazan, but never made it through the first book and a couple people said the 2nd isn't all that great either.

I'd recommend First Law Trilogy as well and I also really loved Prince of Thorns and King of Thorns which are both really accessible and easy to get into, the final book in the series in due out in August or September.

Other than that, The Black Company is good stuff and King Killer Chronicles is OK, it's not my favorite series and the 2nd book gets a bit.. uh over the top at times, but still fun.

ymmv

Banned
Judge and Jury by James Patterson, first book I've read by him. Absolutely loved it, couldn't put it down, finished it in two sitting. Story would make a brilliant movie.
Was recommended by a few friends as a good starting point for Patterson as advised lots of his books are rather run of the mill.

Anyone got any recommendations of anything similar to this? Loved to read more like it.

L2VZBLL.jpg

Harlan Coben? I really liked "Caught". I was hooked after just a few short chapters.

survivor

Banned
Finished reading the The Housekeeper and the Professor. A very heartwarming story about the relationship between the housekeeper and a brilliant old mathematician who can only remember the last 80 minutes of his life. I have to admit I primarily picked up the story when I knew there was some math involved in it. I always like reading stories about friendships through numbers.

Cx3X99j.jpg

Other than that, The Black Company is good stuff

I'm finishing up the first book in this series and will be diving straight into the second and third parts. It's absolutely STELLAR. Highly recommended. Amazon sells the first three novels in a Kindle collection for a measly $7.99.

It's humorous, dark, and the world and lore behind it feels so alive and fun. There really aren't "good" and "bad" guys, and the narrator recognizes that. Hop on in and join me in reading through them for the first time.

I'm finishing up the first in the series, then I'll put the finishing touches on Neil Gaiman's American Gods (which I put aside because of how good the Black Company is), before diving right back into the second book. I almost never juggle books, but this has been worth it.

Mr.Ock

Well guys thanks for the advice... It seems I have some books to check! The first volume in "The first law" saga has just been published here, so I'll check that for sure.

Also, I've been told that the Malazan saga is a bit difficult to get into, that the first book kinda throws you in the middle of the story and gives you no clue (reminds me of a certain ubiquitous game here on gaf). Normally this wouldn't be a problem for me (quite the opposite, in some ways), but some people gave up on the books because of this. Are they so difficult to get into?

JB1981

Thanks to this thread, I'm reading thru a sample of the first book in the First Law saga and yes, I agree, the writing is very good! I may have to buy the book.

I also finished a sample of Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land and I find it very intriguing so far.

I also just picked up The Way of Kings to add to the long-term queue. I've heard nothing but praise for the book, but I'm very intimidated by the 1,280 page count. I'm earnestly working towards that 50/50 challenge as my new year's resolution, so it's unlikely that I'll get to it this year. Maybe if I bag enough books early on I can afford to make it #50 for the year. If not, that will be my start to 2014.

kaskade

KQAPr9Q.jpg

Finally getting to this but I'm going the route of audiobook this time. Never tried one out but figured I would since I hear a damn audible ad in every podcast. After this I think I'm going for Game of Thrones.

Only read the first one so far. Enjoyed it.
You should try Glen cook's The Black Company. So goddamn good omg.

Setre

Finished

CGnfhRs.jpg

Really did not like this book at all. It kept me interested enough to keep reading but all the characters were unlikeable. It also seemed stupid to me that (major spoilers)
these people would still be able to look at their sons the same way ever again after they set a homeless person on fire.
I don't recommend anyone waste their time with it.

Started

mSZ1DjS.jpg

169 pages in and so far I'm loving it. The pace seems to be a lot faster than A Game of Thrones, which I like. Really enjoying the little extra stuff that the TV series wasn't able to have.

Lumiere

Neo Member
Just finished

511QKvBloIL.jpg

It was quite different from what I was expecting, somehow, but I enjoyed it.

Also, went to the Ursula K. Le Guin reading in Seattle yesterday, and picked up a short story collection by a Romanian author that she translated (from Spanish...), which was the reason for the reading. It's obscure enough that the only entry I could find for it on Goodreads has no ratings, and got Le Guin's name misspelled. :)

Nymerio

I finished Gilded Latten Bones yesterday, now I'm sad I don't have any more Garrett books to read right now. This is now one of my favourite series and I'd actually rank the Garrett books higher than the Dresden Files, which I also really liked.

The Garrett series may not be as epic as the Dresden Files but it makes up for that by having such likable characters. The best way I can describe it is: It's like you're watching an episode of Justified and you're looking forward to the scenes when Boyd and Raylan are together in front of the camera. You just know the chemistry between the actors makes the scene something special. This is happened to me a lot while reading the Garrett PI series. I was always looking forward to when Garrett talks to the Dead Man or Morley or Singe or Dean, or Winger or whoever.

I'm not usually someone who laughs out loud while reading, some of the few books who made me do that previously where the Dresden Files, but the books in the Garrett series are something else. I've never laughed so much while reading a book before.

I can't recommend this series enough, if you're even a little interested in the fantasy and noir genres you should give this a chance. And don't judge a book by its cover, because the covers are completely bad.

Fjordson

I'm finishing up the first book in this series and will be diving straight into the second and third parts. It's absolutely STELLAR. Highly recommended. Amazon sells the first three novels in a Kindle collection for a measly $7.99.

It's humorous, dark, and the world and lore behind it feels so alive and fun. There really aren't "good" and "bad" guys, and the narrator recognizes that. Hop on in and join me in reading through them for the first time.

I'm finishing up the first in the series, then I'll put the finishing touches on Neil Gaiman's American Gods (which I put aside because of how good the Black Company is), before diving right back into the second book. I almost never juggle books, but this has been worth it.
Glad to see you're enjoying it. I really love the Black Company. Read the first six books, need to get to the later ones sometime.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Also, e-books for life. I'll never go back to print. I can't think of a single pro compared to digital.

Two exist: 1) buying secondhand or remaindered books can be cheaper, and its fun to look for those, and 2) they fill shelf space and a house without books on the shelf is weird (small apartments notwithstanding). But I have a Kindle too.

Also, went to the Ursula K. Le Guin reading in Seattle yesterday, and picked up a short story collection by a Romanian author that she translated (from Spanish...), which was the reason for the reading. It's obscure enough that the only entry I could find for it on Goodreads has no ratings, and got Le Guin's name misspelled. :)

I'm a Librarian at Goodreads so if you want to correct/add to the entry let me know the details and I'll edit it ...

Two exist: 1) buying secondhand or remaindered books can be cheaper, and its fun to look for those, and 2) they fill shelf space and a house without books on the shelf is weird (small apartments notwithstanding). But I have a Kindle too.

I actually hear you on those. Even though we're 99% Kindle now, the wife wouldn't let me sell all of our books. Three full shelves still. :)

Tapiozona

Banned
Started this book based on GAF recommendations. Still relatively early in the book but I enjoy the creativity and level if science and tech they've gone over so far.

house-of-suns.jpg

This is the primary reason I'm going the ebook route for most of the things I read. There's not enough shelf space and it seems silly to keep around a book I'll only read once. Maybe it's because I get tons of free books from work, but I *hate* it when 1-time-read books stick around on my shelf. Unless it's something I would personally recommend or lend to a friend, I don't want it around my house.

So something like this book I just finished is perfect for ebook format b/c I'll never read it again nor recommend it to someone:

Hemlock Grove by Brian McGreevy

I wanted to read this after watching the first episode on Netflix. The book is...odd. It started off nice and Gothic, but devolved into some teenage drama with tons of red herrings. Then the end just got plain weird. It definitely has a David Lynch feel to the characters and their interactions, but not sure if that was for the better.

I finished Gilded Latten Bones yesterday, now I'm sad I don't have any more Garrett books to read right now. This is now one of my favourite series and I'd actually rank the Garrett books higher than the Dresden Files, which I also really liked.

The Garrett series may not be as epic as the Dresden Files but it makes up for that by having such likable characters. The best way I can describe it is: It's like you're watching an episode of Justified and you're looking forward to the scenes when Boyd and Raylan are together in front of the camera. You just know the chemistry between the actors makes the scene something special. This is happened to me a lot while reading the Garrett PI series. I was always looking forward to when Garrett talks to the Dead Man or Morley or Singe or Dean, or Winger or whoever.

I'm not usually someone who laughs out loud while reading, some of the few books who made me do that previously where the Dresden Files, but the books in the Garrett series are something else. I've never laughed so much while reading a book before.

I can't recommend this series enough, if you're even a little interested in the fantasy and noir genres you should give this a chance. And don't judge a book by its cover, because the covers are completely bad.

Well damn, maybe making my next glen cook series the instrumentalities of the night was a mistake...

Snowdrift

Switched over to some non-fiction this month to take a break from sci-fi after finishing Iain M. Banks' Use of Weapons. It was a bit disappointing TBH. Player of Games is probably in my top 10 sci-fi, and I also really enjoyed Consider Phlebas, but Use of Weapons didn't resonate much at all, despite getting such glowing reviews on Goodreads. However, I still intend to finish the Culture series.

zVRCpjf.jpg
HVPmWZS.jpg

Say what you will about the war in Iraq, but Imperial Life in the Emerald City and The Assassins' Gate are fascinating to read.

Just started Liar's Poker. So far so good. Despite the events in the book taking place over 20 years ago, it reads as if it could have taken place yesterday. The lessons are timeless.

You know summer is here when you start blowing through a book a week.

Ceebs

Anyone want to help me out here?

I just reread Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear this week and am in the mood for more good fantasy. The problem is I can't really stand the fantasy novels that jump from multiple character perspectives. I want something good that is focused on a single character. Magic is a plus.

Any suggestions?

Finished reading the The Housekeeper and the Professor. A very heartwarming story about the relationship between the housekeeper and a brilliant old mathematician who can only remember the last 80 minutes of his life. I have to admit I primarily picked up the story when I knew there was some math involved in it. I always like reading stories about friendships through numbers.

Cx3X99j.jpg

+1 It is indeed a great little story :)

I've just started reading this

ProductImage-7555565.jpg

A handful of North Korean spies plot to 'defect' from the Republic, posing as South Koreans with the intention of traveling to Japan and taking claim of Fukuoka in the name of the Leader. Meanwhile there are a group of misfit young Japanese men living in a house nearby, all of which have been in juvenile detention because of some horrific act in their childhood (including murder) who are pretty much down and outs in a society which is suffering from economic collapse - there are hundreds of thousands of homeless across Japan.
I'm guessing at one point these two groups are destined to clash in some way, or band together?!
Not sure where it's going to go but one hundred pages in (of over 600) there's already been a pretty graphic double murder. This is going to be one CRAZY ride. I've read some Ryu Murakami before, and of 'In the Miso Soup' all I remember is one intensely long murder scene :lol

The best way I can describe it is: It's like you're watching an episode of Justified and you're looking forward to the scenes when Boyd and Raylan are together in front of the camera. You just know the chemistry between the actors makes the scene something special.

That's the reason Justified is my favorite TV show. You've really sold me on trying out that series.

While on the subject of Glen (where have you been all my life?) Cook...I just finished The Black Company. What a freaking book! That's some great fantasy right there. I literally have zero complaints about the book. ★★★★★

DagsJT

The Justified references mean this will be the next book I'll read.

Nezumi

I just reread Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear this week and am in the mood for more good fantasy. The problem is I can't really stand the fantasy novels that jump from multiple character perspectives. I want something good that is focused on a single character. Magic is a plus.

Any suggestions?

Well, first thing that comes to my mind would be Dresden Files but that's Urban Fantasy. I think that Curse of Challion also only focuses on one person, I'm not a 100% sure though, but it is an absolute fantastic book.

Edit:
And I can chime in on the Garret P.I. praise (which is also first person Ceebs!).

Finished:

1037242.jpg

and jumped right into:

51lRiCsyc7L.jpg

diggin this really much! Just bought new batteries for my reading light so I'm looking forward to a long night of reading :)

Any suggestions?

As some of us said last time there was a request for fantasy recommendations, try out "The Black Company" by Glen Cook. It's done from a first-person perspective with one guy. If you keep going through the series, there will eventually be novels that have different narrators, but the whole first trilogy of them is done with the same narrator. I'm not sure if that alone is enough to meet your "focused on a single character" criterion. The story definitely takes place in the context of a bigger fantasy world with shit hitting the fan on a nationwide/continent-wide scale, but it's told from a relatively personal perspective. Still, it's a story of war and 'adventure' and not some coming of age or pseudo-slice-of-life story.

But, Is it good? Oh my god yes. I'm tempted to procrastinate my giant reading backlog just so I can reread the whole series.

Oh and there's magic.

EDIT: I feel like this has become my personal equivalent of recommending dark souls/demon souls in video game threads....

Any suggestions?

The Dark Tower

The Gunslinger by Stephen King

In The Gunslinger (originally published in 1982), King introduces his most enigmatic hero, Roland Deschain of Gilead, the Last Gunslinger. He is a haunting, solitary figure at first, on a mysterious quest through a desolate world that eerily mirrors our own. Pursuing the man in black, an evil being who can bring the dead back to life, Roland is a good man who seems to leave nothing but death in his wake.

post apocalyptic blend of fantasy, sci fi, western, horror, and adventure

One main character who is probably my favorite fictional character ever. Besides that there are a very small amount of characters to keep track of, and it's extremely entertaining. Definitely one of my favorite series. First four books are amazing, last 3 are divisive but I don't regret getting into this series at all. Need to reread it at some point.

Krowley

Any suggestions?

Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series is centered on a single character, an assassin. I read the first one recently and liked it pretty well, and when I was younger I read several of them and loved them. The setting is very interesting, with early industrial elements freely mixed with medieval, and some aspects that almost feel sci-fi. The culture and the magic system are also pretty unique. The books are short, fast paced, a bit pulpy, and fun, and I think they get better as they go along.

Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melniboné books seem to be pretty awesome, and (based on limited experience) they seem to stay focused on Elric. These books are violent, short, dark, and often very surreal. I think a lot of Moorcock's books are similar, and I plan to dive into them more thoroughly soon. He has established this multiverse involving an 'eternal champion' who keeps being reincarnated in different worlds, and most of his series are tied together through this mechanism.

eattomorro

Neo Member
+1 It is indeed a great little story :)

I've just started reading this

ProductImage-7555565.jpg

A handful of North Korean spies plot to 'defect' from the Republic, posing as South Koreans with the intention of traveling to Japan and taking claim of Fukuoka in the name of the Leader. Meanwhile there are a group of misfit young Japanese men living in a house nearby, all of which have been in juvenile detention because of some horrific act in their childhood (including murder) who are pretty much down and outs in a society which is suffering from economic collapse - there are hundreds of thousands of homeless across Japan.
I'm guessing at one point these two groups are destined to clash in some way, or band together?!
Not sure where it's going to go but one hundred pages in (of over 600) there's already been a pretty graphic double murder. This is going to be one CRAZY ride. I've read some Ryu Murakami before, and of 'In the Miso Soup' all I remember is one intensely long murder scene :lol

Oh where did you get this book? Sounds awesome and I can't find it any of the retailers here in Canada. :(

Ceebs

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have no clue why so many fantasy authors insist on telling their story from so many perspectives.

Is there anything to get out of Ready Player One that I can't get from reading a Gamefaqs thread? It started out well enough, but then H and the Ladyhawke conversation happened, kind of making me want to die.

That was followed by just listing off names of things probably taken from the "video games" article of Wikipedia, without then actually having anything to say about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom