• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dream

e6cc6b0c-8228-4bd4-bc3e-63f91a307558MediumRes.JPG

I can't help it; Dan Brown is my guilty pleasure.

Tuck

I really don't know about Gardens of the Moon. I'm about a third into the book and he still keeps introducing new characters and I don't even care much about the existing characters.

I was in the same situation as you. I almost put the book down. However, I would suggest that you keep reading. Things will start to click, and the last portion of the book where he starts jumping between characters really fast as the story lines converge was very good.

The second book was much more enjoyable - just finished it the other day. It only focuses on a few characters from Gardens of the Moon - the rest are new. There is still a lot of confusing lore at some points but it is an easier read, and a bit more clever too. Started the third book, which takes place simultaneously to the second book and returns to the rest of the characters from Gardens of the Moon.

I started reading this as well after powering through Bioshock 2 but I've since put it down. I don't think I'm going to waste anymore time on it.

I'm only 66 pages in, so I can only imagine the prose gets worse from here. Its astoundingly amateurish. The character names are dismal as well, the narrative clunky, the dialogue unnatural. There is nothing good about the way its written. And
Andrei Rianovski
? Seriously?

Its odd because I throughly enjoyed the Resident Evil books without cringing, even though I recognised the relatively low standard. Every paragraph of Bioshock gives me something to make me wonder why on earth the author was chosen.

@dream, read and enjoyed The Da Vinci Code, Angels&Demons and Deception Point. Digital Fortress was mediocre though, and The Lost Symbol was utter turd imo.

Inspired by a previous GAF thread, I'm working my way through A People's History of the United States.

A part of me is sort of shocked and another part of me isn't at all of the omissions that are made in the classic presentation of America's history. Been a rather eye-opening experience, to be honest.

I'm 60 pages into World War Z. It's been on my shelf for at least 2 years but I finally got around to it because I want to finish it before the film comes out. Not that I want to see the film, I just want to be able to rage about it along with everyone else, mwahaha

Yeah I think I read like 20% of that Bioshock book before putting it down. Don't remember the writing being especially terrible, just boring.

Wish there were more books with an underwater city setting.

Yeah I think I read like 20% of that Bioshock book before putting it down. Don't remember the writing being especially terrible, just boring.

Wish there were more books with an underwater city setting.

Gungan City was Mackenzie's favorite part of the Star Wars movies confirmed! Wheeeeeeeeeee!

Not that I've read much Sanderson but this was the most enjoyable thing I've read by him yet. Also helps the magic system didn't remind me of a video game per the usual.

Finished it two days ago, and it was my first Sanderson read. I loved the magic/forgery system and found the characters enjoyable.

SJRB

Gold Member
e6cc6b0c-8228-4bd4-bc3e-63f91a307558MediumRes.JPG

I can't help it; Dan Brown is my guilty pleasure.

Yeah a colleague of mine told me it was out today, I had NO idea.

Does anyone have any impressions? His previous book was beyond terrible, but I actually enjoyed the rest.

dream

Yeah a colleague of mine told me it was out today, I had NO idea.

Does anyone have any impressions? His previous book was beyond terrible, but I actually enjoyed the rest.

I'm about 12 chapters in and, so far, it's gloriously terrible. It's like Brown's research for this novel consisted of taking a survey world literature course and he's eager to show it off by throwing in references to Gilgamesh and The Ramanyana, in addition to the whole Dante thing.

I am enjoying this immensely.

Inspired by a previous GAF thread, I'm working my way through A People's History of the United States.

A part of me is sort of shocked and another part of me isn't at all of the omissions that are made in the classic presentation of America's history. Been a rather eye-opening experience, to be honest.

Yeah, great book. Should be called People's BLOODY History. So much wanton death and destruction. Conservatives HATE Zinn's book.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm about 12 chapters in and, so far, it's gloriously terrible. It's like Brown's research for this novel consisted of taking a survey world literature course and he's eager to show it off by throwing in references to Gilgamesh and The Ramanyana, in addition to the whole Dante thing.

I am enjoying this immensely.

Not sure if this sounds like it's worth getting, haha.

I found the previous book to be extremely pretentious. It's hard to describe, but there were a lot of situations where someone knew the answer to a question/situation, but deliberately didn't tell and kept others guessing just to show their intellectual superiority. It felt super frustrating to me.

If it's more schlock like The Lost Symbol I think I'll pass, but if it's more like Deception Point I'll get it first thing tomorrow.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
I'm only 66 pages in, so I can only imagine the prose gets worse from here. Its astoundingly amateurish.

@dream, read and enjoyed The Da Vinci Code, Angels&Demons and Deception Point. Digital Fortress was mediocre though, and The Lost Symbol was utter turd imo.

I stopped around that point too. I'm glad I wasn't the only one as it seemed to review reasonably well. It was frustrating as I was really set for a decent sci-fi tale in an under water city.

I concur with The Lost Symbol being terrible. Angels and Demons was really good though IMO. If I was going to read anything of his for the first time, I'd start there.

I plan to pick up Dan Brown's Inferno later this week. I'm keen to hear what everyone's thoughts on it are. If it slides more towards the quality of Angels & Demons / DaVinci Code then I'll consider reading it in parallel with Gardens of the Moon.

dream

Not sure if this sounds like it's worth getting, haha.

I found the previous book to be extremely pretentious. It's hard to describe, but there were a lot of situations where someone knew the answer to a question/situation, but deliberately didn't tell and kept others guessing just to show their intellectual superiority. It felt super frustrating to me.

If it's more schlock like The Lost Symbol I think I'll pass, but if it's more like Deception Point I'll get it first thing tomorrow.

Well, the narrative is pretty much what you'd expect (and described above); there's a grand mystery that Robert Langdon must solve, there are forces opposing him, there are people who have vital information that both sides are after, and it's all steeped in some sort of historical conspiracy. I don't know if the story is actually...decent...or not, but I am loving the shit out of it so far on a kitschy level.

Blatz

Almost finished...

41h3RI6AnkL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Looking forward to this being released Jun 4:
51snmFsGEUL._SY300_.jpg

Then this Oct 8th (please don't get pushed back):
51f7nXSXNWL._SY300_.jpg

BTW has anyone read any of The Expanse Novellas: Gods of Risk or The Butcher of Anderson Station? I'm wondering if they're any good.

noal

Banned
Just got Inferno through the post, totally forgot I pre-ordered it ages ago, but it will have to wait until I've finished The smartest guys in the room.

meijiko

After having it recommended everywhere, I finally gave into the hype and read The Name of the Wind.

My impressions are a little lukewarm. It was an entertaining story, no question, but I couldn't get past the nagging feeling I was reading someone's wish fulfillment. The major red flag for me was how it seemed every female character he encountered seemed to be enamored with him in some way. Not to mention his talent for everything, his cleverness, his intelligence, and the fact that he managed to find friends who could tolerate him despite these qualities. And so many of the solutions to his "terrible" problems seem to be too easy, or too convenient.

And yeah, as was mentioned before it seems there's an inordinate amount of time spent talking about and worrying about money. Halfway through the second book right now, and it seems to be more of the same, but I suppose it's getting better.

I find the flow of writing a little sloppy in places, too. He likes to inject stories within his story, which at first I thought was neat but now I find some of them really out of place. Mostly in the second book, though. "Hey, I kinda want you to leave, but instead of subtly hinting at it I'm going to tell you a story with a fairly vague meaning that I assume you're clever enough to interpret." "Hey, we're all drunk and lying on the grass, you should tell us a story about racism."

I still like it, though. I find the book pretty hard to put down, since he's done a great job of building up his story in a way that makes me want to know what happens next. But I probably won't give it glowing recommendations to my friends just yet.

Conservatives HATE Zinn's book.

To be fair, I think conservatives hate the man far more than his books.

He still doesn't accept the "official" story behind 9/11, for instance, and believes it may have been an inside job. He may not be a truther, but a lot of his credibility went flushing down the toilet with those comments.

I like Zinn's writing. You just have to accept it for what it is: a very leftist take on history. It's great for reading an alternative perspective, especially if you insulate yourself to one viewpoint. If you're already a student of history and are open to reading different opinions, he doesn't introduce anything you shouldn't already know. He's no more or less biased than the history books or political institutions he attacks.

Nezumi

Finished:
51lRiCsyc7L.jpg

So far my favorite of the books. Now I'm torn if I should jump right into book four or if I should read something else lest I I get weary of reading to much of the same. My alternative would be Leviathan Wakes. I'm normally not big on SciFi but this got so much praise and Daniel Abrahms is one of the writers so I'm inclined to give this a shot... decisions, decisions!

Crazyorloco

Currently reading:
Reading John Grisham's The Firm now. I'm about 5 chapters in so far, and it's ok. The new law firm this guy is going to be apart of sounds too weird. They're offering things too good to be true...hmmm I want to read what happens next.

Junot Diaz's: This is how you lose her. I love this book. Read one story and it felt like it the main character was ...me! I related to him a lot.

I want to read next:
Dan Brown's Inferno, I'll wait for some reviews to come in. I did enjoy The Da vinci code. Also I'm hoping that maybe the kindle price will drop a little soon...

Glen Weldon's Superman: The Unauthorized Biography. I'm a superman fan.

DagsJT

Finished:
51lRiCsyc7L.jpg

So far my favorite of the books. Now I'm torn if I should jump right into book four or if I should read something else lest I I get weary of reading to much of the same. My alternative would be Leviathan Wakes. I'm normally not big on SciFi but this got so much praise and Daniel Abrahms is one of the writers so I'm inclined to give this a shot... decisions, decisions!

I'm reading LW after seeing so much hype in here. 64% in and I'm enjoying it. It's my first "space opera" type book and it's good fun. Maybe a tad too long but enjoyable all the same.

I was in the same situation as you. I almost put the book down. However, I would suggest that you keep reading. Things will start to click, and the last portion of the book where he starts jumping between characters really fast as the story lines converge was very good.

The second book was much more enjoyable - just finished it the other day. It only focuses on a few characters from Gardens of the Moon - the rest are new. There is still a lot of confusing lore at some points but it is an easier read, and a bit more clever too. Started the third book, which takes place simultaneously to the second book and returns to the rest of the characters from Gardens of the Moon.

I will confirm that no character is left forgotten they all re-appear at some point. The magic system, and the reasons it is like it is become clearer and clearer through sheer observation (I personally loved figuring that stuff out for myself) and all the various threads intertwine, like a glorious magnificent symphony, different melodies, different instruments, different movements, that he draws back together for an amazing finale.

mbmonk

I just finished this up:

51p7Riv4tjL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX240_SY320_CR,0,0,240,320_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I thought it was a great book. Day 9 suggested it. Anyone know of similar, high quality books on the topic of learning or teaching?

I will probably move onto this book about learning using Mind Maps:
51jraZ%2BihZL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX240_SY320_CR,0,0,240,320_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Bonethug

Going to try to get through Brandon Sanderson's new YA book.
Of2DsyQ.jpg

Still haven't fully recovered from reading You last month, and have just been reading a bunch of comics.

KidDork

Now I'm torn if I should jump right into book four or if I should read something else lest I I get weary of reading to much of the same. My alternative would be Leviathan Wakes. I'm normally not big on SciFi but this got so much praise and Daniel Abrahms is one of the writers so I'm inclined to give this a shot... decisions, decisions!

I'm on the last ten pages of Leviathan Wakes and firmly believe you should jump right in.

Bonethug

Anyone have any must listen to audiobook recommendations?

I am considering Odd Apocalypse (listened to the other 3) or starting the Dark Tower series with The Gunslinger.

I am back on the solo 45 minute commute each way to work, and can get back to listening to books.

Woorloog

Banned
Finished my reread of a Clash of Kings. Started Mistborn book 2 Well of Ascension

Noticed that some thing WoA being as the worst of the series.
My friend surprised me when he said he thought it good.
Don't know what i think myself... kinda like it.

That said, i'm re-reading Mistborn again. Was kinda emergency pick, needed something to read badly...
Can't really afford buying more books constantly, ignoring that i can't find stuff i'd like to read.

Oh where did you get this book? Sounds awesome and I can't find it any of the retailers here in Canada. :(

Ah apologies for my late reply!
I purchased it via Amazon - it just released here in the UK a few days ago so perhaps maybe it's not available in Canada yet?

I'm about 250 pages in now and the plot seems to really picking up!

Krowley

Got my plate piled pretty high again, but I'm enjoying every one of them.

Currently Reading:

w1stpVhl.jpg

It by Stephen King
Going through this again. I read it previously in my early 20s, and it has always been one of my favorite King books. So far it is holding up to my memories very well. This book is actually very complex and enormously long, with lots of POV characters, and it jumps around in time a lot. At times it is a little overblown, but in a way that I find endearing. The book feels very personal, sort of deranged in a way. I would even call it trippy. I've realized on this read-through that It is very much a giant fairy-tale, and it seems to be very connected to the Dark Tower books in a number of ways. Not only are there symbols and ideas drawn directly from The Dark Tower series, but the whole feel of the book is similar. In my mind, the group of kids who join up to stand against the monster have become the 'Ka-tet of the Barrens" during this read-through.

rgKnl28l.jpg

Hardboiled Wonderland and The End of the World by Haruki Murakami
This is my second Murakami book after finishing Wind Up Bird Chronicles. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Not quite as much as Wind Up Bird so far, but I'm not very far in yet. This has a different translator, and the writing feels a little different, but the whole vibe of the book and the basic storytelling style is quite similar in most ways.

B5eDe2Fl.jpg

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
This is really short and I'll probably finish it tonight. I can't really find anything major to complain about with this book. It's very sparse and gets right to the point without many wasted words. Parts of it have been utterly riveting, other parts are only moderately entertaining. At times it may be a little too dry, but that's not really a flaw when the pacing is so tight, and it still manages to deliver some good juicy emotional moments. Last Man on Earth seems to be the most faithful movie adaption based on what I've read so far, but I barely remember The Omega man. I like that the book is much more a straight-up vampire story than any of the movies based on it have been, and it's actually been pretty chilling in spots. The ending will decide whether I merely like this a lot, or actually love it. Either way, I would definitely recommend it. Edit// Finished it just now. The ending delivered better than I expected. Great book overall. // End Edit

GB4ZBSNl.jpg

Elder Isles 01: Lyonesse by Jack Vance
This is my first Vance book. It is surprisingly complex. There has been a lot of talk recently regarding the Malazan series (which I haven't read myself), about how hard it is to get into because it drops you in without any hand-holding. This book takes quite a bit of time setting things up (actually has huge info-dumps) but still asks you to learn a hell of a lot in a short time. It has a bunch of major characters with constantly shifting viewpoints, numerous political powers all vying to dominate a particular region, and the story so far focuses much more on politics than on magic or battle. It's also quite gritty and explicit in an underhanded sneaky way. It reminds me very much of the ASOIAF series. It's more formal in style, and a little less approachable, but it offers a similarly cynical view of humanity, and a similar focus on political maneuverings. This is very funny at times too, and the writing is generally excellent. It's a good book so far (could be great, depending on a few outcomes), but not something you should pick up for a light casual read. It almost feels like it is meant to be a little obtuse.

xdpAFGwl.jpg

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
This is my fourth McCarthy book. Everybody says this is his best work, and so far it is living up to the hype. Unbelievable writing. I read a battle scene a while ago that absolutely blew my mind. I still can't get some of the imagery out of my head. It makes the old west feel like the most horrible, desolate, violent, gruesome, existence imaginable. Picture the TV show Deadwood as a book, then make it ten times harsher.

eattomorro

Neo Member
Finished off The Stranger by Max Frei. Amazing book and my fav so far for 2013.

Now onto Perry Rhodan #1 Enterprise Stardust, by K.H. Scheer & Walter Ernstling.

2796071.jpg

Tenrius

diplomatic-immunity-bujold-lois-mcmaster-paperback-cover-art.jpg

Well, another Vorkosigan book for me. I'll have just two more books when I'm finished with this and I hear they are not very good. Duh. Skimmed through Winterfair Gifts yesterday and thought that it failed to do anything interesting with that potentially nice setup.

EDIT: I think I'll get some Honor Harrington books after that. What's the consensus on this series? I understand that it has space battles and interstellar military campaigns (both not really featured in Vorkosigan saga, only tangentially). As a huge Battlestar Galactica fan, I'd really like to see a book with its levels of tension during space battles.

That would be a great dust jacket quote.

hahaha yeah I was thinking after I posted that, well that's a glowing recommendation.

I'd say it's definitely worth a couple bucks. Someone else posted a review and I tend to agree with them, that it kinda reads like a RPG game, the main character starts off on a quest and then continues to get more and more quests, picking up companions and growing more badass along the way. Not sure if it was the translation or the writing style, but it feels a little stiff and it drags at times, but overall it wasn't bad.

Finished:

Little_Big_novel_cover.jpg

I don't know what took me so long, but I'm glad I finished it. A vague, yet complex and beautiful novel filled with so much of everything. So much fantasy flutters around the edges that it would have been better to read it all in one go rather than set it down for long periods of time. God, it's one of the best books I've ever read, even if I'm aware a lot of it will only reveal itself in a second or third reading.

Next up: maybe Leviathan Wakes or Good Omens. I've had both on tap for a long time.

H2Yo

Reading Neuromancer by William Gibson.

It's pretty cool so far, reminds me of an 80's Dues Ex: Human Revolution.

One thing I can't stand about the writing style is Gibson's scene transition. It's like he's writing a screenplay rather than a book; A person might be on a phone call one scene, the next, it will be a week later. The reader only finds this out after the fact which is just unnecessarily confusing.

Reading Neuromancer by William Gibson.

It's pretty cool so far, reminds me of an 80's Dues Ex: Human Revolution.

Considering that pretty much every Cyberpunk novel, movie or game has stolen pieces of Neuromancer with wonton abandon, it's hard to say your comparison is off. However, it's kind of like saying Aliens is an 80's version of Halo, or that The Wrath of Khan is an 80's version of 2009's Star Trek. The lineage is so blatantly obvious it's ridiculous or even redundant to see it in such a light.

I agree with your scene change issue though, more so with the openings of his books. The first 50 pages of a Gibson novel are bound to confuse.

Lumiere

Neo Member
GB4ZBSNl.jpg

Elder Isles 01: Lyonesse by Jack Vance
This is my first Vance book. It is surprisingly complex. There has been a lot of talk recently regarding the Malazan series (which I haven't read myself), about how hard it is to get into because it drops you in without any hand-holding. This book takes quite a bit of time setting things up (actually has huge info-dumps) but still asks you to learn a hell of a lot in a short time. It has a bunch of major characters with constantly shifting viewpoints, numerous political powers all vying to dominate a particular region, and the story so far focuses much more on politics than on magic or battle. It's also quite gritty and explicit in an underhanded sneaky way. It reminds me very much of the ASOIAF series. It's more formal in style, and a little less approachable, but it offers a similarly cynical view of humanity, and a similar focus on political maneuverings. This is very funny at times too, and the writing is generally excellent. It's a good book so far (could be great, depending on a few outcomes), but not something you should pick up for a light casual read. It almost feels like it is meant to be a little obtuse.
Looking forward to your thoughts on this once you finish it! I picked up the omnibus from a used book store some time ago, but haven't felt like starting it yet - it's currently sitting on my shelf together with Tales of the Dying Earth, which I might start first as it sounds like it would be an easier read.

Nezumi

So I started Leviathan Wakes yesterday. Read the Prologe and the first chapter and really enjoy the writing but, the ending of the prologe and the whole distress signal thing have me a bit worried. How much does this book drift into horror territory? Because space and horror is a combination I'm can't handle all that well. Event Horizon literally gave me nightmares for weeks, I'm fine with the Alien movies though since I consider them to be more action-thriller than horror. So what do I have to expect here?

Krowley

Looking forward to your thoughts on this once you finish it! I picked up the omnibus from a used book store some time ago, but haven't felt like starting it yet - it's currently sitting on my shelf together with Tales of the Dying Earth, which I might start first as it sounds like it would be an easier read.

I haven't read Tales from the Dying Earth yet, but I can say without a doubt (based on previewing on Amazon) that the first few pages are written in similar, but slightly more playful style, and I get the feeling that it would be a better starting point for this writer.

Still, this Lyonesse book has its charms. I am sort of delighted by how meaty and complex it is. This is a full-on epic high fantasy, and based on what I've read so far, it deserves more recognition.

suzu

So I started Leviathan Wakes yesterday. Read the Prologe and the first chapter and really enjoy the writing but, the ending of the prologe and the whole distress signal thing have me a bit worried. How much does this book drift into horror territory? Because space and horror is a combination I'm can't handle all that well. Event Horizon literally gave me nightmares for weeks, I'm fine with the Alien movies though since I consider them to be more action-thriller than horror. So what do I have to expect here?

It's not really that kinda horror or in the "nightmare inducing" vein. I wouldn't worry about it.

It's not that they're not good, it's that they aren't up to the high standard Bujold set in her previous books. They're still perfectly fine books.

As for Honor Harrington, I read the first two and liked the space battles well enough, but wasn't overall a big fan. If you're looking for space battles, you might check out the Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell. He's no great shakes at characters and dialogue, but damn are his battles tight.

+1 Great space battles.

Finished Ryan C. Harris' The Summer I Died. Man, what an intense book. It's pretty much torture porn, but much worse. The characters are incredibly well defined and some of the shit that happens is utterly stomach churning. A lot of times horror fiction that's touted as "extreme" lives up to its reputation, but this one does.

Now I'm onto some Clive Barker.

BKrMX6e.jpg

I noticed the complete Books of Blood were recently made available for the Kindle. While I've skimmed through the shorts over the years, I haven't actually sat down to read them since I was in high school. I'm anxious to see how time has treated this collection.

Tenrius

It's not that they're not good, it's that they aren't up to the high standard Bujold set in her previous books. They're still perfectly fine books.

As for Honor Harrington, I read the first two and liked the space battles well enough, but wasn't overall a big fan. If you're looking for space battles, you might check out the Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell. He's no great shakes at characters and dialogue, but damn are his battles tight.

+1 Great space battles.

Thanks for the heads-up, I didn't even hear about The Lost Fleet before for some reason. I'm still interested in the Harrington series, but I think I'll check this one out first, looks promising.

Finished of Mistborn: Hero of Ages and started:

Looking for Alaska

TeTTIrS.jpg

I am demolishing this book. I started it last night, and I am already 70% done (it's a short book). I need more coming-of-age books like this in my life!

duckroll

Leviathan Wakes is definitely more Aliens than Event Horizon. There are touches of horror throughout the narrative, but they're never that creepy and they feel more like action movie setpieces. Hope that helps.

I'm still waiting for Caliban's War to arrive... Wanna read! ;_;

FnordChan

Well, another Vorkosigan book for me. I'll have just two more books when I'm finished with this and I hear they are not very good. Duh. Skimmed through Winterfair Gifts yesterday and thought that it failed to do anything interesting with that potentially nice setup.

As far as the remaining Vorkosigan novels go, I'd agree that Cryoburn is not quite up to par. Like Cyan says, this isn't to say that it isn't a good novel, but it just ain't up there with the rest of the series. There is, however, one moment that really makes it worthwhile.

However, if Cryoburn is a bit dodgy, I'm pleased to report that I enjoyed the hell out of Captain Vorpatril's Alliance, which is very much in the same vein (romantic mayhem) as A Civil Campaign. If it turns out to be the final Vorkosigan novel then at least Bujold gave the series a nice high note to go out on.

4ab1024128a0b0a7763a6010.L.jpg

Meanwhile, I'm about two-thirds of the way through Stephen King and Peter Straub's The Talisman and it's thoroughly engrossing so far. I've never read Straub before, but his writing seems to be meshing with King's very well; if you'd told me this was a solo King novel I'd never have noticed otherwise. I've always loved the Dark Tower series, rushed ending and all, and The Talisman has a lot of the same vibe to it. In particular, the protagonist of The Talisman reminds me more than a bit of Jake from The Dark Tower.

Also, I recently read Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy and that proved to be a very pleasant way to spend a couple of thousand pages of doorstop fantasy novels.

FnordChan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom