• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woorloog

Banned

Reading that rekindles my hope of publishing my novel someday. I have the first two chapters written, and according to a few trusted sources, they're fairly good. The issue is I never actually sat down and established the central story I want to tell. It's basically just literary masturbation at this point. Solid setting, good descriptive language, interesting characters, decent dialogue...and NOTHING else. I'm guessing that's the single worst way a person can set out to write a story, and it shows. :/

Read what writers have to say about writing.

Brandon Sanderson and some other writers have this podcast, Writing Excuses, you might be interested in listening it, if you haven't already.

What common advice i've noticed is "read a lot, write a lot". Sounds like a good advice.

I reckon it is better to write something simple and solid at first, even if isn't really anything... new. Walk first, then run.

You remember there's WritingGAF?

Brandon Sanderson and some other writers have this podcast, Writing Excuses, you might be interested in listening it, if you haven't already.

What common advice i've noticed is "read a lot, write a lot". Sounds like a good advice.

I reckon it is better to write something simple and solid at first, even if isn't really anything... new. Walk first, then run.

Thanks for the podcast suggestion. I never even thought about looking into something along those lines.

I did participate for a few months in PoetryGAF, but real-life circumstances have pulled me out for the last few rounds.

Slightly on the topic of Neal Stephenson and Snow Crash, has anybody read his Anathem? It was suggested as a good read on the 2K forums in a Bioshock Infinite thread

Yes and it's fantastic. Very mathy, very scholarly, but still exciting now and again. The journey is a fantastic one, even though it slows down sometimes. Sometimes it feels like it jumps between big cool reveal to big cool reveal, but things happen enough that it's not too bad. You don't need to comprehend the math stuff perfectly to get the novel, though it enhances the experience.

J-Roderton

-Halfway though Game Of Thrones. Really digging it. Totally prefer this to watching the show.
-Reading The Haunted House A True Ghost Story. Really short and free on Kindle. Not really written too well, but it was free. Cool ghost stuff going on so far, I guess.

-Just ordered the first book of the Dragonlance Chronicles. Anyone know anything about these? Cover looked cool and had mostly favorable reviews.

Narag

"Her eyes, though a gentle brown, seemed unusually penetrating, as if they had witnessed a profundity of experience rarely encountered by a person her age."

I've never read a Dan Brown book, but that is hot garbage. "Hey, let's add some gravitas to this character with as little effort as possible!" Doesn't help that she's basically perfect.

Inferno seems like its worse than his earlier fare so far for me. Most egregious thing was shoehorning in stuff early on to remind the reader than Langdon has a photographic memory, is claustrophobic, and how much his Mickey Mouse watch means to him.

dream

To be fair, the pivotal twist in Inferno employs a mildly interesting and marginally sophisticated narrative technique.

Slightly on the topic of Neal Stephenson and Snow Crash, has anybody read his Anathem? It was suggested as a good read on the 2K forums in a Bioshock Infinite thread

This has been covered by a number of people already, but I'd also like to chime in and say I loved Anathem, and it is very much one of my favorite books. It's quite different from Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon, however. I have seen a few people who say they were turned off by the use of "made up words" but I didn't find that aspect to be a negative. Quite the contrary, his skillful use of language was perhaps my favorite thing about it.

Epcott

Finished A Songs of Ice and Fire: A Storm of Swords today. My goodness that ending was amazing.

Now starting Inferno by Dan Brown. Hope its better than his last book, but its already proceeding along the tired formula of his Robert Langdon books series. Welp, can't be worse than The Lost Symbol. I'm at chapter 12 and I'm already tempted to stop and read A Feast for Crows instead.

Though I'd gladly gorge on a feast of crows if Inferno ends up decent.

Woorloog

Banned
Damn. From A Storm of Swords to Dan Brown.

I feel bad for you.

My hat's off for him.
But what i can do if some people are masochistic.
jk

I wonder, are movies from Dan Brown's books better than the books themselves?
Seen Angels and Demons, and it was kinda decent as a movie. That is, entertaining, unlike, say, Oblivion (which i hated).

*grunts*
I just remembered, there's a movie from the Wheel of Time in works. That one won't translate well to movie form.

KidDork

Ciaphas Cain? Always intended to read those, never got around that (nor found them, though one shop i know might have them).
Not a Warhammer(40k) hobbyist but the sheer audacity of the world makes it interesting.

I have never played a Warhammer game but find the novels enjoyable. They straddle that line between stupid and awesome so well. 'Audacity' is a good word to describe them.

Ordered The WhiteFire Crossing on Fnordchan's recommendation. Amazon says it's on it's way.

Woorloog

Banned
I have never played a Warhammer game but find the novels enjoyable. They straddle that line between stupid and awesome so well. 'Audacity' is a good word to describe them.

"Audacious" is the only right word (along with grim, dark, and grim dark of course) the describe the Warhammer40k, i think.
At least, that's based on reading its TV Ttropes list and the examples. Goddamn that was long...

This quote is perfect...
"Warhammer Fantasy is Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of steroids and GBH. And Warhammer 40000 is the above on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Starship Troopers and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming WAAAGH! and waving a chainsaw sword."
—TV Tropes, This Is Your Premise On Drugs

WorldStar

Banned
House_of_leaves.jpg

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Yeah, great book. Should be called People's BLOODY History. So much wanton death and destruction. Conservatives HATE Zinn's book.

Not just. The New Republic recently had a fairly vicious takedown of zinn generally and that book in particular.

Narag

"Audacious" is the only right word (along with grim, dark, and grim dark of course) the describe the Warhammer40k, i think.
At least, that's based on reading its TV Ttropes list and the examples. Goddamn that was long...

This quote is perfect...
"Warhammer Fantasy is Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of steroids and GBH. And Warhammer 40000 is the above on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Starship Troopers and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming WAAAGH! and waving a chainsaw sword."
—TV Tropes, This Is Your Premise On Drugs

I liked the old one WH40K quote that doesn't appear to be on the page anymore:

Warhammer 40,000 is not a happy place. Rather than just being Darker And Edgier, it paints itself black, takes a running jump and hurls itself head first over the edge, bellowing "WAAAGH". The Imperium of Man is an oppressive, stark, and downright miserable place to live in where, for far too many people, living isn't something to do till you die, but something to do till something comes around and kills you in an unbelievably horrible way - quite probably something on your own side. The Messiah has been locked up on life support for the past ten millennia, laid low by his most beloved son, and an incomprehensibly vast Church Militant commits hourly atrocities in his name.

The problem is, as bad as the Imperium is, they're not quite as bad as many of the other factions. Death is about the best you can hope for against the vast majority of the other major players in the battlefields of the 41st Millennium. The basic premise of 40k, insofar as it can be summed up, is that of an eternal, impossibly vast conflict between a number of absurdly powerful genocidal, xenocidal and in one case omnicidal factions, with every single weapon, ideology and creative piece of nastiness imaginable turned up to eleven. The basic sidearm of a Space Marine is a fully automatic armour-piercing rocket-propelled grenade launcher. The Astronomican, a navigation aid, has the souls of thousands of psychic humans sacrificed to it every day, dying by inches to feed the machine. The faster-than-light travel used by most factions carries with it a good chance of being kill by daemons. There are also chainsaw swords, armored gloves that crush tanks, mountain-sized daemonic walking battle cathedrals, tanks the size of small cities and warships that level continents, if not simply obliterating all life on an entire planet just to be sure. And sometimes even that doesn't work. There is no time for peace, no respite, no forgiveness; there is only war. And you are going to die.

Meier

I read Angels & Demons and The Da Vinci Code.

Liked both. How was The Lost Symbol in comparison?

Not nearly as good but honestly I think if you enjoyed those then it's worth continuing the series. Dan Brown is a terrible writer but he does tell interesting stories.

I'll say this, I'm 16% into Inferno and enjoying it more than The Lost Symbol at least.

FnordChan

How about "audarkcious"?

Ordered The WhiteFire Crossing on Fnordchan's recommendation. Amazon says it's on it's way.

I hope you enjoy it! Report back and let us know what you think. For what it's worth, I read The Whitefire Crossing based on raves from two friends of mine and I wasn't disappointed.

FnordChan

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
is that of an eternal, impossibly vast conflict

This is why I could never get into WH40k...it all seems to plotless and pointless. This fight just goes on forever, with no climax or conclusion. I like the worlds and the races, but outside of a gaming perspective it just comes off like a shitty kids cartoon where at the end of the episode everything is the same again.

Iph

Banned

Good luck. I bought this when I was probably too young to tackle a book like this because it was big and looked interesting. I've had it for over 10 years and barely made much of a dent in it.

I've been on a reading frenzy lately. Trying to finish up The Silmarillion at the moment, then probabing going to read the last three books of the Dune series.

Krowley

All the recent discussion of "Snow Crash" in this thread inspired me to pick it back up and give it another chance. I was more than halfway through when I put it down last time, and I just finished "I am Legend" which made room for me to add another book to my pile.

Suffice it to say I just put it back down again. I love almost everything about it: the writing style, the humor, the cool ideas, the historical/mythological stuff, the crazy vision of the future. Almost everything is great, but it lacks one major ingredient; there is no real drama or tension anywhere. Not even the tiniest dribble of real emotion.

Stephenson treats the whole thing as such a joke that I can't take it seriously enough to actually give a shit what happens next. This would work okay (might even be awesome) if the book was really really short, but with this much length, you have to give me something more than just one joke after another. Even the action scenes make me want to yawn because there is no real sense of drama. Somebody on Goodreads said something to the effect of, "even the characters don't seem to care what happens, so why should I?" That pretty much sums up my experience in a nutshell.

It is frustrating, because I want to like this book so much it almost kills me to put it down. I can tell that it is pretty amazing by most measures, and it engages me very much on an intellectual level--my favorite parts, strangely, are the long infodumps.

It makes me wonder if all Stephenson's books are similar in tone, because I think I might be able to enjoy something written by this guy if he took it just a *little* more seriously.

Karakand

To the lurkers: if you're like me and found the promise of such an article interesting enough to Google, I'll save you the effort.

Do you know that . . . Eugene Debs was jailed for calling World War I a war of conquest and plunder? Perhaps you do, if you are moderately well-read in American history. And if you are very well-read, you also know that [this statement itself is a] problematic simplification.

lmao

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Yes and it's fantastic. Very mathy, very scholarly, but still exciting now and again. The journey is a fantastic one, even though it slows down sometimes. Sometimes it feels like it jumps between big cool reveal to big cool reveal, but things happen enough that it's not too bad. You don't need to comprehend the math stuff perfectly to get the novel, though it enhances the experience.

The scholarly aspect was what attracted me to it. I had no idea that there was math content. That just bumped it up on my priority list.

This has been covered by a number of people already, but I'd also like to chime in and say I loved Anathem, and it is very much one of my favorite books. It's quite different from Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon, however. I have seen a few people who say they were turned off by the use of "made up words" but I didn't find that aspect to be a negative. Quite the contrary, his skillful use of language was perhaps my favorite thing about it.

I had a quick read of the first few pages and could tell that it was going to be completely different from Snow Crash. It was clear that it wasn't going to be a light read either. It sounds really great, I'm looking forward to sinking into it.

To be fair, the pivotal twist in Inferno employs a mildly interesting and marginally sophisticated narrative technique.

How's Inferno going? Once I'm done with my current novel, I might see if I can power through that in a weekend.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
It makes me wonder if all Stephenson's books are similar in tone, because I think I might be able to enjoy something written by this guy if he took it just a *little* more seriously.

It's a shame that you didn't enjoy Snow Crash. I really enjoyed the fact that it didn't take itself too seriously. That said, I recall being concerned for Y.T while she was on the Raft.

If you're after a more seriously toned novel by Stephenson in a cyberpunk setting, you could try The Diamond Age.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Diamond_Age

Krowley

It's a shame that you didn't enjoy Snow Crash. I really enjoyed the fact that it didn't take itself too seriously. That said, I recall being concerned for Y.T while she was on the Raft.

If you're after a more seriously toned novel by Stephenson in a cyberpunk setting, you could try The Diamond Age.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Diamond_Age

I definitely liked YT better than Hiro, and was somewhat engaged with her story up to a point.

I actually have no problem with parody most of the time. In fact I'm thinking of starting Simon R. Green's Deathstalker series, which is supposed to be a parody of space opera. And I've read plenty of light humorous stuff over the years and liked a lot of it.

I actually laughed plenty at Snow Crash, and enjoyed the humor quite a bit, but I guess the tone was just a little too unrelentingly sarcastic to sustain my engagement over the full length. I prefer more of a mix. If a book is a full-on parody, I feel like there should be moments here and there, where things get (at least slightly) serious for the sake contrast and to draw you in more. He definitely tried to do that with Snow Crash, and obviously he did it successfully for a lot of people, or the book wouldn't be so popular. But I never quite crossed that line where I was able to get beyond seeing everything that happened as an elaborate send up.

Despite the fact that it didn't work for me, I would still recommend the book, with a few reservations. It is very cool in a lot of ways, and clearly it appeals to a lot of people. I'll probably give Diamond Age a try at some point.

Salazar

Kenyon Review said:
David Madden’s thirteenth book of fiction is a daringly imagined mythology of London Bridge—its conception by Peter de Colechurch, its construction, its meaning in history, both metaphorical and literal, and its core relevance to Great Britain and its empire. Madden begins his work with a two-page preface, To My Reader, in which he describes his research, calling the work a “meditative narrative,” and ends his remarks by addressing the reader in a direct plea for collaboration and by a fervent avowal: “I trust you.”

Complete with a “dramatis personae” identifying twenty-six characters whose voices he appropriates, not counting an omniscient narrator appearing at strategic points, the apparatus of the novel includes a listing of books Madden “has read or delved into over the decades.” It is a work that has grown and matured, a narrative whose voices have haunted and fed the author’s imagination as he has dreamed the story of London Bridge. The most frequent speaker is Daryl Braintree, a seventeenth century poet/chronicler of the bridge, who sees the structure as truly “thought turned to stone.” He seeks an understanding of what the bridge means and has meant over the ages, and he frequently resorts to using the words of contemporaries in his tireless quest, including such writers as Samuel Pepys, John Milton, Sir Thomas Browne, and John Donne.

It's good.

actually laughed plenty at Snow Crash, and enjoyed the humor quite a bit, but I guess the tone was just a little too unrelentingly sarcastic to sustain my engagement over the full length. I prefer more of a mix. If a book is a full-on parody, I feel like there should be moments here and there, where things get (at least slightly) serious for the sake contrast and to draw you in more. He definitely tried to do that with Snow Crash, and obviously he did it successfully for a lot of people, or the book wouldn't be so popular. But I never quite crossed that line where I was able to get beyond seeing everything that happened as an elaborate send up.

Anathem (Math) and Diamond Age (Computer Sci) are Stephenson's less wacky novels; you'll probably like them. Cryptonomicon (Cryptology/WWII) is so big and stuffed full of everything Stephenson thinks is even remotely cool, and sometimes entire chapters can feel like comedic punchlines - still less over the top than Snow Crash, but pretty wacky.

I tend to like that enthusiastic giddy humor, myself, but I can see how one wouldn't.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Just found out one of my favorite ever books is on sale for $2.99 on the US Kindle store right now.

Dawn by Octavia Butler

I can't think of how to describe it without spoiling it... I went into it knowing nothing about it, and even the early discoveries felt big to me. So, avoid the summary on Amazon, and just trust me on this one? It's probably the most traditional sci-fi Butler ever wrote, and she pulled off really really well.

ShaneB

This was just my goodreads status update for Storm of Swords.

"OMG. I thought I was getting Game of Throne'd out, but then crazy stuff happens, and I want to keep going on and on. (60% done"

I really dug Anathem, although I found the middle (quest part, I guess) totally unnecessary. But that was a small price to pay for the whole experience.

Blitzzz

-Just ordered the first book of the Dragonlance Chronicles. Anyone know anything about these? Cover looked cool and had mostly favorable reviews.

I read them when I was in my teens. Loved them at the time. Good cast of characters that were all pretty unique from what I remember. I have no idea how they actually hold up now

So after a few chapters into Snow Crash, I can't help but feel that Ready Player One borrowed some ideas from it (Metaverse/Oasis, Storage unit/stacks)

ShaneB

lol was waiting for this.

It helps that I'm at the point finally where I'm reading new stuff and don't have any tv show to reference, so it's easier to focus on just the story at hand. But yeah, I'd imagine I just read how Season 3 will end, and that was a crazy moment. With being all new stuff now, I imagine I'll be hooked even more to read even faster this weekend.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
It was so bad.

LOL. Was it worse than The Lost Symbol? I enjoy light/popular fiction but that was a little close to being borderline for me (Angels and Demons was really great though)

“Hello, this is renowned author Dan Brown,” spoke renowned author Dan Brown. “I want to talk to literary agent John Unconvincingname.”

Hahah. Gold

Karakand

This is why I could never get into WH40k...it all seems to plotless and pointless. This fight just goes on forever, with no climax or conclusion. I like the worlds and the races, but outside of a gaming perspective it just comes off like a shitty kids cartoon where at the end of the episode everything is the same again.

There's a prequel series (Horus Heresy) where there has to be resolution, but otherwise your perception is mostly on target. If Frank Herbert realized he could milk the 3,500 year rule of
Leto Atreides II
with polymorphic content, you'd probably have an even more obvious inspiration for 40K than the Dune books already are.

Woorloog

Banned

It is a tabletop war-game universe, gotta have status quo of constant war to have the game world. And you need the world to justfiy new units and factions.
The same applies to the Battletech as well, there's always a new war to allow the war to be simulated.

You want a conclusion, read a self-contained series (be it part of a bigger universe or not).

I have a bunch of ideas for books/games/whatever. I know the worlds for those ideas won't ever have conclusions, even if stories set within them will have.

dream

LOL. Was it worse than The Lost Symbol? I enjoy light/popular fiction but that was a little close to being borderline for me (Angels and Demons was really great though)

Oh, it really was. I think Dan Brown's narrative technique is amazing (ending every chapter on a cliffhanger is really hard to do), but this novel is so bloated that it ends up losing all its momentum and becomes...well...boring.

I do think that the twist was fairly well executed though.

Narag

I listened to a bunch of these today. Great stuff.

The Fault in Our Stars
S5zpjPO.jpg

Dammit, I've already cried twice and I am only thirty percent through. I am sure there will be plenty more tears shed.

Karakand

Ciaphas Cain is the best WH40K related junk out there.

I'm reading a 40K book about atheistic Chaos Space Marines whose calling card is terror and torture struggling with divine corruption, the meaning of their existence, the breakdown of their way of life, and mere subsistence / survival going on a heist with Chaos Space Marine space pirates to steal genetic material from a loyalist chapter's fortress-monastery. Is there a Cain book of a similar ridiculousness? The audio drama was really well-tread ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom