• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (November 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished this yesterday.

Still processing it. I am going to miss it. It's been four months of just me and this book. I'm going to miss the stupid footnotes, the characters, and the resolve to not put it down and move onto something else. Is it great? Yes. Is it frustrating? At times. Is it funny? Yes, and also goddamn horrific at times also.

Like, I said, still processing.

I've started several re-reads that always seem to stall around 200 pages in, but I will say that on subsequent reads it is *amazing* how much stuff ties together that you just gloss over on a first read. One of these days, IJ. One of these days....

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty good, wouldn't call it amazing or anything. Amped: A Novel (his follow up, not in the same universe) is what I am reading now. It's okay-ish also.

not even close to robopocolypse. Found amped really uninspired compared.

robopocolypse I've heard called 'world war z with robots' Agree. In a good way.

I'm reading 'red country' by Joe abercrombie. As with all things he writes, it's great.

If you like that, you'll love this. Some truly classic noir in it.

8498076.jpg

Thanks, will definitely check it out after I make my way through this.

Just a heads up - the Mercury trilogy is $1.99 ea ($5.97 for whole series) today on Amazon. Seems well reviewed:

Also the Post-Human trilogy is free right now and that also has decent reviews (Note: Post-Human was published first, Trans-Human was 2nd, and Sub-Human was 3rd)

Sweet, thanks for the heads up.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Finished:

tK4bD.jpg

Meh. Decent enough book but the ending kind of ruined it for me with the whole
oh by the way none of that actually happened but it would have been cooler if it did, right? Right?
thing.

Started:

RqGSe.jpg

Definitely not the only one, but in the midst of my latest rereading of The Hobbit:

LSP2T.jpg

Also intermittently reading Daniel Levitin's This Is Your Brain On Music. Recommended for biologists, psychologists, or anyone with even a vague interest in music.

BbYYr.jpg

Finished:

tK4bD.jpg

oh by the way none of that actually happened but it would have been cooler if it did, right? Right?
thing.

Started:

RqGSe.jpg

Oh no. I was inspired to read the Pi book after seeing the trailer, but I couldn't resist clicking on the spoiler and now I'm done for. I hate it when stories do that. Oh well, I guess that saved me some time.

I trudged through the last half of Ready Player One. It showed promise every time they left the game world, but those parts were way too far and few in between. Simply awful.

To wash the taste out of my mouth I decided to return to a classic I know and love but haven't read in many years.

As with the last couple of books I've read, I picked up the audiobook version while to listen to in the car. I picked up the version with a full cast, with different actors/actresses for each character. It was outstanding, and I was seriously considering listening to the whole thing via audiobook. But unfortunately for some weird reason, every 3 or 4 chapters it seems like they forgo the full cast, and have the narrator do all the voices as in a regular audiobook. It's utterly baffling why they would do it like this. The single narrator portions aren't bad, but the change is always really jarring, especially when the single narrator's take on a character differs greatly from the character's voice actor's take. I've reluctantly given up on the audiobook. It's such a shame.

When I revisit the rest of the series I'll either stick to the single narrator versions, or skip the audiobook versions all together.

Fjordson

Those big short story books look so cool. I love noir fiction.

Not sure if I should get The Big Book of Pulps or the Black Mask book first.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I finished up The Passage and loved it.

I'm currently reading:
51bE6SBNroL.jpg

And YIKES, it's absolutely terrible. Easily one of the worst books I've read all year. I'm kind of taken aback at how miserable everything about it is. Mercifully it's short, and I'll be done with it very soon.

I trudged through the last half of Ready Player One. It showed promise every time they left the game world, but those parts were way too far and few in between. Simply awful.

B7Dpm.jpg

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Did the zombies in World War Z have any vampire characteristics at all? A guy on another board I go to mentioned that they did but I don't recall any. It's been years since I read the book.

Sleepy

Re-reading The Pale King by DFW:

books

I stalled out last time during the 100 page (?) conversation...I will make it through this time. Certain chapters are just crushing me, even more than the first time.

Finished:

tK4bD.jpg

thing.

Started:

RqGSe.jpg

LOL. The Ishiguro book isn't going to help then either.

Yen

Started reading Childhood's End. Very interesting concept. Not far into it though. Are there are other Clarke books I should hunt out? Rama?

yonder

Started reading Childhood's End. Very interesting concept. Not far into it though. Are there are other Clarke books I should hunt out? Rama?
Yeah, Rama and 2001: A Space Oddysey are essentials, especially if you enjoy Childhood's Ends.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
infinitejest.jpg

Finished this yesterday.

Still processing it. I am going to miss it. It's been four months of just me and this book. I'm going to miss the stupid footnotes, the characters, and the resolve to not put it down and move onto something else. Is it great? Yes. Is it frustrating? At times. Is it funny? Yes, and also goddamn horrific at times also.

Like, I said, still processing.
I'm currently reading this myself. Only a few pages in. Looking forward to it.

Number45

Continuing with my theme of reading enormous books this year:

518YH-SiP1L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Great Expectations. I read Oliver Twist early this year (I think, might have been late last year) and was genuinely surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Having read LOTR and The Hobbit again over the last few months I fancied delving back into Dickens' bleak imagination.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face

My dad recommended this to me and I have it sitting on my shelf, I may make it one of my next 4-5 books. He always thought 2001 (the movie) was overrated and just nonsensical towards the end but apparently reading Childhood's End made it 'click' with him, and made it easier for him to appreciate the movie.

Prez

Reading this at the moment:

VSwPR.jpg

I love it. The only Planet of the Apes movie I've seen is the one from 2001, so I can't really compare.

Lumiere

Neo Member

I really liked Childhood's End, hope you enjoy it too. I haven't read 2001 yet, but Rama was very interesting as well.

Nerdy Fergy

Neo Member
I really liked Childhood's End, hope you enjoy it too. I haven't read 2001 yet, but Rama was very interesting as well.

I will second Rama. It is a really interesting read. Rama II is about twice as long and contains a lot of detail. Childhood's End was a great read. I enjoyed it a lot.

Necrovex

KafkaontheShore.jpg

I completed Kafka on the Shore tonight. I really enjoyed the novel overall. I was far more interested in Nakata's and Hoshino's stories rather than Kafka's tale. The majority of the cast had a satisfying conclusion. Though, there is one thing that really stood out for me:

(Ending spoilers)
I thought there would be more about Johnnie Walker and Crow. The crow chapter in the end made me think there would be a bit more involving Walker and his flutes. I was a little surprised it wasn't brought back up. Could anyone let me know what I'm missing here?

Fusebox

Banned
Finished Snow Crash yesterday, really loved it - just a fun sci-fi romp with a great pace.

Now I've started on Pirate Cinema which I got in the Humble book bundle recently.

Dresden

finished

YhklE.jpg

good shit.

Didn't strike me just how dour and grim the second half of Leviathan Wakes was until I got to this one. Better cast, better pacing, less zombies. Glad I stuck with it.

---

Picked up Swamplandia! on the side, looking forward to it.

KidDork

I've started several re-reads that always seem to stall around 200 pages in, but I will say that on subsequent reads it is *amazing* how much stuff ties together that you just gloss over on a first read. One of these days, IJ. One of these days....

I've been given a few 'Just hold on until you hit this page and it gets easier' lines from friends. I think once you get past page 300 or so, then it all starts to click. I'm not sure if it gets easier, but by that point your brain has been rewired by Wallace so it just seems easier.

I'm currently reading this myself. Only a few pages in. Looking forward to it.

Good luck. It's really quite the journey.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Finished -

RqGSe.jpg

Not bad. Won't keep it or recommend it over his two great books but I don't regret it. After Never Let Me Go and The Remains of the Day this was my third Ishiguro book, after A Pale View of the Hills (which I review similarly to An Artist of the Floating World) and The Unconsoled (which I didn't finish). Trying to decide if I want to bother with When We Were Orphans, which I already own but am thinking about selling off to help clear out my unbeatable backlog. After the last three books I just don't know that I like him enough to spend the time.

Started -

cLj1r.jpg

Going from Japanese author to Japanese author is just a coincidence. Seems like all the shorter books I have right now (~200 page range) are written by Japanese authors and I'm trying to get some of the shorter ones out of the way.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Come to papa...

43rQl.jpg

Finished it an hour ago, and I'm pretty satisfied overall.

Now onto Caliban's War, or The Red Knight by Miles Cameron, a debut, in fantasy at least, that's been garnering some hype. Saw a thread about it on Westeros.

Ashes

Banned
Not bad. Won't keep it or recommend it over his two great books but I don't regret it. After Never Let Me Go and The Remains of the Day this was my third Ishiguro book, after A Pale View of the Hills (which I review similarly to An Artist of the Floating World) and The Unconsoled (which I didn't finish). Trying to decide if I want to bother with When We Were Orphans, which I already own but am thinking about selling off to help clear out my unbeatable backlog. After the last three books I just don't know that I like him enough to spend the time.

Started -

Going from Japanese author to Japanese author is just a coincidence. Seems like all the shorter books I have right now (~200 page range) are written by Japanese authors and I'm trying to get some of the shorter ones out of the way.

Ishiguro is British. Just sayin.

'course I'm british mate.

Red Country by Joe Abercrombie

"Conscience and the Cockrot" Best title for a chapter ever.

Anyway the book is great and is shaping up to be my favorite yet from Abercrombie. I hope he keeps his writing pace up, such a treat to get a new book every 18 months or so.

Also, Temple is awesome.

I have finished the Wool Omnibus from Hugh Howey and was a little bit disappointed because i thought that there were a lot of questions that haven't been answered completely. But then I found out that there is a sixth book too - I hope that I get the remaining answers in this part.

A few days ago I started with "Furies of Calderon" from Jim Butcher. I'm halfway through the first book of the Codex Alera series and I really like it so far. Butcher created a really fascinating world based upon the ancient Rome. The stories concerning the main characters are very interesting and I never had the urge to skip a chapter and jump to the next one. I hope the second half is as good as the first one.

Fjordson

Red Country sounds so awesome. Can't wait to get to that.

I remember reading before it came out that it's almost like Abercrombie's take on the Western genre. Is that true? Or is it more just regular fantasy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom