• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 2014)

Nezumi

Finished:

The_Wise_Man%27s_Fear_UK_cover.jpg

Despite the fact that the book dragged on for quite a few parts I still ended up liking most of it. Though I have to say that I was surprised that
at the end Kvothe was still at the university. I expected him getting thrown out sometime during this book and the fact that this still hasn't happened has me a bit worried for the next book.

12109372.jpg

I really wanted to like this. I loved the setting and the mythology but sadly those were the only parts that really clicked with me. Besides Temur and the bad guy, none of the characters are really interesting and some of them might as well have been cut out entirely since their only contribution to the story appears to mostly ornamental. I mean
as cool as a tiger-woman may sound on paper, Hrahina has no personality what so ever.
The writing itself felt somewhat tedious at times and the plot is... well, there, I guess. Not sure I'm gonna continue the series, which is a shame because it was such an intriguing world.

Currently I'm listening to the third Witcher novel. But I'm only about an hour into it so I can't really say how it compares to the first two, yet. Though I'm still not liking the overall style in which the books are written, which might however be the translations fault.

I kind of want to start the Southern Reach books since they have been hyped here so much, but I promised myself that I'm not gonna download any new book until I haven't cleared a good portion of my kindle backlog. So instead I'm gonna start this:

The_Thousand_Autumns_of_Jacob_de_Zoet_(cover).jpg

I actually have high hopes for this.

Time to do some reading. I picked up a Kobo and some ebooks

How to Build a Girl By Caitlin Moran
Let's Get Lost By Adi Alsaid
Gemini - A Novel By Carol Cassella
Brick Lane - A Novel By Monica Ali
If You Could Be Mine - A Novel By Sara Farizan
Let's Get Lost By Adi Alsaid

fakefaker

Going through :

... and its been really interesting so far! Definitely SciFi through and through and Vernor Vinge does a pretty fantastic job of exploring the diversity of life in a Galaxy wide civilization. It's just really refreshing to see someone with the insight not to make every "alien" life form a boring human-like bipedal life form. I love the shifting perspectives between the larger galaxy ending apocalypse that is the blight and the smaller adventures of the refugees on the planet of the Thines. Really introduces some interesting concepts with respect to hive minded creatures and the potential pitfalls that come down that evolutionary path as well.

Looks and sounds cool, gonna put it on my to read list. Thanks for sharing!

41cJauadT2L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

This is not meant as a troll, but I'm about 3/4 through this and not feeling it AT ALL. Probably the fact that it's hyped to hell and back as the graphic novel THAT CHANGED EVERYTHING. Okay...changed what and for whom?

Probably the fact that it's hyped to hell and back as the graphic novel THAT CHANGED EVERYTHING. Okay...changed what and for whom?

Along with The Dark Knight it birthed the notion of a 'graphic novel', a bundled anthology of single-issue series that elevated the comics form in the eyes of the public to 'respectable literature' (bookstores and libraries began carrying them for instance). In general it also heralded the shift in tone of mainstream works towards darker themes of nihilism, politics, the notion of superheroes as vigilantes, etc. I'd be curious to know how many other works at the time featured appendices like Watchmen, did, too, and which became a structural idiom in many of Moore's works (footnotes in From Hell, letters to the editor, Quartermain stories in League, etc.).

KingGondo

Banned
41cJauadT2L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

This is not meant as a troll, but I'm about 3/4 through this and not feeling it AT ALL. Probably the fact that it's hyped to hell and back as the graphic novel THAT CHANGED EVERYTHING. Okay...changed what and for whom?
I don't really know what to tell you if you're not enjoying it. It's extremely dense, maybe you'll enjoy it more if you start again from the beginning so you pick up more?

I've personally read it close to 10 times and it astounds me with its depth and complexity every time.

It also does a lot of impressive things with visual metaphor, meaningful layouts, and parallel stories.

Along with The Dark Knight it birthed the notion of a 'graphic novel', a bundled anthology of single-issue series that elevated the comics form in the eyes of the public to 'respectable literature' (bookstores and libraries began carrying them for instance). In general it also heralded the shift in tone of mainstream works towards darker themes of nihilism, politics, the notion of superheroes as vigilantes, etc. I'd be curious to know how many other works at the time featured appendices like Watchmen, did, too, and which became a structural idiom in many of Moore's works (footnotes in From Hell, letters to the editor, Quartermain stories in League, etc.).

I'll use this as an answer to everyone who responded. Yeah, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that the text interludes aren't clever, and the pirate storyline is interesting (I guess it sort of parallels the Dr. Manhattan story?). The overall story is a messy one, though, and I don't know how anyone could have expected a coherent movie out of it, Zack Snyder being beside the point.

And, yes, I'm probably not seeing the work in light of its time - Moore's contribution to the darkening of the genre, etc. I wasn't there at the time (I grew up with Conan and shunned superhero stuff - don't bag on Conan, btw).

Still, I'm not sure that Watchman's story has much impact, but I'm not done with it, so...

I'll post again when I'm done.

So, it single handedly birthed the anti-hero in comics. Prior to this release, capes represented justice, honor, etc. This book showed heroes who were flawed, selfish, and ultimately more human (and relatable).

The biggest problem with The Watchmen is that it was too influential, as the entire industry went on a 20+ year anti-hero binge where everything was dark and every hero was tainted. I believe I've read (and I could be remembering wrong) Alan Moore say that if he knew that trend would happen, he would've never released The Watchmen.

This releasing at the same time as The Dark Knight Returns completely shifted the comic book world. You can thank those books for the grim Batman films.

Mr.Towel

So, it single handedly birthed the anti-hero in comics. Prior to this release, capes represented justice, honor, etc. This book showed heroes who were flawed, selfish, and ultimately more human (and relatable).

The biggest problem with The Watchmen is that it was too influential, as the entire industry went on a 20+ year anti-hero binge where everything was dark and every hero was tainted. I believe I've read (and I could be remembering wrong) Alan Moore say that if he knew that trend would happen, he would've never released The Watchmen.

This releasing at the same time as The Dark Knight Returns completely shifted the comic book world. You can thank those books for the grim Batman films.

I dunno if it birthed the anti-hero, but it definitely popularized the concept for mainstream superhero books in a way I don't think Moore intended. People read Watchmen and decided they wanted more stuff like that, when Alan Moore wanted people to read it and realize how fucked a lot of the undertones in mainstream superhero comics are. I liked the interview he did one time where he talks about getting scared whenever someone comes up to him and tells him how much they loved Rorschach.

I dunno if it birthed the anti-hero, but it definitely popularized the concept for mainstream superhero books in a way I don't think Moore intended. People read Watchmen and decided they wanted more stuff like that, when Alan Moore wanted people to read it and realize how fucked a lot of the undertones in mainstream superhero comics are. I liked the interview he did one time where he talks about getting scared whenever someone comes up to him and tells him how much they loved Rorschach.

Right, the point isn't that no one had approached these themes--lots of stuff in the British press had since the late 70s, including Moore's own V for Vendetta, of course. More that DC made a huge push in mainstream retail for the title, and similarly with TDK.

Back to the strength of the material independent of its historical context, I still think the story is top-notch and holds up really well. Thematically it touches on all sorts of important things--relationships, love, ethics, violence by and against the State, existentialism, etc.

Thematically it touches on all sorts of important things--relationships, love, ethics, violence by and against the State, existentialism, etc.

I can't argue with any of this. There's *a lot* going on theme-wise. My problem is that it feels as though those themes are treated at a comic book depth. If the illustrated content spoke for itself, I'm not so sure the textual interludes would be as necessary as they are. THOSE feel like the thematic glue holding things together.

My son (20) simply cannot believe that I don't follow the story in videogames. He's dumbfounded. And let's face it - most game stories are crap. My simple reply is, 'If I want story, I'll read a book.'

I'm not saying Watchmen is crap by any means, but I think for all the 'groundbreaking' hype, it can just as easily be argued that it shows the limits of the medium.

just finished a world undone by GJ meyer (audiobook format), a pretty good story of the first world war and the first book of the southern reach trilogy, and i´m currently reading, Barbarians. An alternate history by Terry Jones and Alan Ereria, based on the BBC series

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Alright, GAF. I'm 20% into Annihilation, and it's got its hooks in me. So far, so good. Lots of promises to deliver on, though.

KingKiller

Neo Member
Watchmen did not birth the anti hero. Watchmen may have started a trend of super heroes as anti heroes but it was certainly not the first time a flawed hero was introduced.

braves01

Banned
The_Thousand_Autumns_of_Jacob_de_Zoet_(cover).jpg

I actually have high hopes for this.

I really enjoyed this (maybe even more than Cloud Atlas). I've got Bone Clocks slated for reading over the holidays for sure.

lSvBCCB.jpg

It's super dense, but really good so far. 'bout 20% in. Translating this thing must've been a gargantuan task.

I didn't really enjoy this, but I loved Name of the Rose and Prague Cemetary. I think this one just crossed the line and was too dense for me. I'm a simple man, and a lot of this one was way over my head or deviated too far from the basic plot.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I'm putting aside The Blade Itself for now and moving on to Annihilation.

Just from reading a couple dozen pages I can already tell I made a good decision.

haha I put The Blade Itself away for Saramago's Blindness after only the first ten pages.

Anyway, I'm 130 pages into Blindness and I'm really enjoying it. Such a fucked up circumstance but the pacing is great as is the narrative.

Gazoinks

I didn't really enjoy this, but I loved Name of the Rose and Prague Cemetary. I think this one just crossed the line and was too dense for me. I'm a simple man, and a lot of this one was way over my head or deviated too far from the basic plot.

Yeah, I can understand that. I find the tangents it goes on really interesting, so I don't really mind, but I can see how someone wouldn't get on with it. Wish I could read Italian, though. I was reading yesterday about some of the wordplay that the translation doesn't carry over (like the trumpet thing), makes me sad I'm missing out on it.

Angst

Nope. Just finished reading Annihilation.
I'm a Lost fan.
Nope. Not for me.
So bleak and so devoid of any reason or explanations, or even hints of explanations. Really disappointed as I had been looking forward to it. Put aside last arguments of Kings for it even. Not gonna bother with the other two books I think.

catmincer

Just finished The Joy Luck club. I have seem the movie but the book is much better. I feel like I understand the characters a lot more.

Mr.Towel

I'm a Lost fan.
Nope. Not for me.
So bleak and so devoid of any reason or explanations, or even hints of explanations. Really disappointed as I had been looking forward to it. Put aside last arguments of Kings for it even. Not gonna bother with the other two books I think.

I think you let your preconceived notion of the book paint your reaction to it. Annihilation was never about giving you easy answers right off the bat, it was more concerned with building atmosphere (which I believe it did wonderfully). If you went into the first book in a trilogy expecting it to explain everything right away I don't know what else to say.

Heigic

Really enjoying The Martian by Andy Weir. I'm about 75% through and it's easily the best book I've read so far this year.

KingGondo

Banned
haha I put The Blade Itself away for Saramago's Blindness after only the first ten pages.

Anyway, I'm 130 pages into Blindness and I'm really enjoying it. Such a fucked up circumstance but the pacing is great as is the narrative.
Just couldn't make myself care about the characters in The Blade Itself anymore.

Ninefingers was by far the best character IMO, but he fades into the background too often. The plot and characterization is far too straightforward... The book rarely surprised me enough to keep me interested.

The action is well-written though. I might come back to it sometime.

Angst said:
I'm a Lost fan.
Nope. Not for me.
So bleak and so devoid of any reason or explanations, or even hints of explanations. Really disappointed as I had been looking forward to it. Not gonna bother with the other two books I think.
Um... There are two more books. It stands to reason that they'll provide at least *some* answers to your questions.

Fxp

Finished Gone Girl today. Well, that was something... Detective/thriller part of the story was fine but It made me think about marriage and it's problems as well. Can't wait to see the movie adaptation.

Angst

I think you let your preconceived notion of the book paint your reaction to it. Annihilation was never about giving you easy answers right off the bat, it was more concerned with building atmosphere (which I believe it did wonderfully). If you went into the first book in a trilogy expecting it to explain everything right away I don't know what else to say.
I didn't expect to get everything explained,
but a hint at explanation would have been nice. Maybe it's just not for me.
Um... There are two more books. It stands to reason that they'll provide at least *some* answers to your questions.
Yeah I get that. I guess my main concern is that after the first book I expect him to give me two more books in the series with just more questions. Going back to Lost I prefer the way they did it, with explanations that lead to even more questions and, for me, a genuine interest in the future answers.

KingGondo

Banned
The disadvantage of Abercrombie's approach to the trilogy is that it takes until book two or three before he starts seriously overturning all the tropes he's evoked, so early on it looks a lot like a standard fantasy story, albeit with at least one unusual hero.

I can't promise that you'll like the characters or the rest of the story, but it absolutely gets more surprising and interesting as you get further on.
Good to know. I'll probably try to push through and at least finish the first book (after I finish the Southern Reach Trilogy, that is).

Angst said:
Yeah I get that. I guess my main concern is that after the first book I expect him to give me two more books in the series with just more questions. Going back to Lost I prefer the way they did it, with explanations that lead to even more questions and, for me, a genuine interest in the future answers.
But didn't Lost have a terrible copout of an ending that exposed the "mysteries" of the show to be the writers simply making shit up as they went along?

Honest question, haven't watched the show.

besada

Banned
Is that John Darnielle from The Mountain Goats?

Yes, and if you like the Mountain Goats, this is for you. I'm trying to get everyone as hyped on Wolf in White Van as we did with the Southern Reach Triology. It's a really exceptional novel about broken people, and what they do to keep themselves going, among other things. I think Transcendental Youth makes an excellent soundtrack for the novel.

I didn't expect to get everything explained,
but a hint at explanation would have been nice. Maybe it's just not for me.

The idea that the people
were turned into animals (seeing her husbands eye on the dolphin, among other hints) didn't intrigue you?

Angst

The idea that the people
were turned into animals (seeing her husbands eye on the dolphin, among other hints) didn't intrigue you?
Not really to be honest.

I don't think it's a bad book, it's just not for me unfortunately. I realise people might think I'm trying to troll, but I was just disappointed the book didn't grab me as I had hoped.

Chakabah

Neo Member
1q84-book-3.jpg

I read the book 1 and 2 last year and, while it was fun, I was kinda bored at the end of the book 2. Not that it's not interesting but damn, there were so many metaphors and so many paragraphs about nothing that it killed any hype (also,
the sex scene between the writer and the 16-year old girl was kinda squick
). So, I put the book 3 away for a while. In between, I read The Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki instead who was pretty great so it motivated me to read Murakami once again. I do have to note that I really like what Murakami writes, AfterDark is one of my favorite books ever so I was kinda bummed to "not like" 1Q84.

But well, now it's time I start the book 3 and I hope it's not as boring as the book 2.

The begininng does seems good and the addition of a new voice is kinda refreshing.

Also, how do you pronounce 1Q84? One thousand Q/kyuu hundred and eighty four? One-Q-Eight-Four? I never knew.

Ashes

Banned
Also, how do you pronounce 1Q84? One thousand Q/kyuu hundred and eighty four? One-Q-Eight-Four? I never knew.

Isn't it a riff on Orwell's 1984? So.. One Q Eighty-Four or Q-teen Eighty-Four?

I'm not sure why people are all of sudden reading Blindness, but I can get behind this trend. It's pretty cool.

Cade

1q84-book-3.jpg

I read the book 1 and 2 last year and, while it was fun, I was kinda bored at the end of the book 2. Not that it's not interesting but damn, there were so many metaphors and so many paragraphs about nothing that it killed any hype (also,
the sex scene between the writer and the 16-year old girl was kinda squick
). So, I put the book 3 away for a while. In between, I read The Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki instead who was pretty great so it motivated me to read Murakami once again. I do have to note that I really like what Murakami writes, AfterDark is one of my favorite books ever so I was kinda bummed to "not like" 1Q84.

But well, now it's time I start the book 3 and I hope it's not as boring as the book 2.

The begininng does seems good and the addition of a new voice is kinda refreshing.

It's One Q Eight Four since in Japan, 9 is pronounced "cue". It's a good title.

I'm 89% done with that book and I am basically just forcing myself to read. Book 1's start was really good, book 2 got worse, book 3 is better but I just want it to end. So fucking long.

My problem is that it feels as though those themes are treated at a comic book depth. If the illustrated content spoke for itself, I'm not so sure the textual interludes would be as necessary as they are. THOSE feel like the thematic glue holding things together.

That's not an unfair characterization, I suppose. No comic in general is going to end up with the depth of treatment of Dostoyevsky or Julia Kristeva, or at least, the ideas are communicated in a different way and (maybe?) shouldn't be compared. Take King Crimson's The Night Watch vs the actual painting by Rembrandt. Even though the song sets up a fuller background narrative for the painting I wouldn't want to describe Rembrandt's work as only engaging at "painting level". Another counter-point, I think Gaiman's run of Sandman is actually superior storytelling to his long-form fiction. I'd be interested in your experience with that material, actually.

My son (20) simply cannot believe that I don't follow the story in videogames. He's dumbfounded. And let's face it - most game stories are crap. My simple reply is, 'If I want story, I'll read a book.'

You just have good taste ;). I work in games--big explosion military games--and I agree that most game narratives are terrible. For the most part this isn't an issue as the two aren't really comparable, or I should perhaps say, serving the same purpose and intentionality. It's only when the story is front and center or egregiously awful that it's a problem for me. Like if you can't skip cutscenes...

Yes, and if you like the Mountain Goats, this is for you. I'm trying to get everyone as hyped on Wolf in White Van as we did with the Southern Reach Triology. It's a really exceptional novel about broken people, and what they do to keep themselves going, among other things. I think Transcendental Youth makes an excellent soundtrack for the novel.

You had me at The Mountain Goats. I'm in.

I'm not sure why people are all of sudden reading Blindness, but I can get behind this trend. It's pretty cool.

We had it as the book club selection earlier this year. I really loved it.

Hieberrr

Just finished the first book from the Southern Reach trilogy. The book really picked up around 60% of the way. One thing that pissed me off was the whole
seeing the crawler experience
. Maybe I just didn't fully get it, but it seemed to me like it was treated as some sort of an epiphany moment or something.

Top Bottom