• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (September 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting my reading comprehension tested with this at the moment.
Cover2.jpg

I assume you're reading this as a result of the Radiolab story? Love that show, and that episode was interesting, if non-sciency.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/dust-planet/

Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie. I hugely enjoyed the first volume, Ancillary Justice, which won the Hugo Award (among many other awards), and so far this seems like a worthy followup. With the worldbuilding and gender stuff set, Leckie seems more able to focus on building Breq as a character and an individual, which, so far, makes the novel more fun to read than its predecessor.

I was really digging the first book (despite the slow start) until I discovered the whole Southern Reach trilogy. Now I'm backburning Ancillary Justice and the sequel for later this year. I want to approach it will my full focus.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Luckyyyyyyyyyyy

The rest of us have to wait like peons.

Jag

Sorry if already posted but... Hulu sets '11/22/63' series based on King novel

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Stephen King's time-travel novel about the Kennedy assassination is being adapted as a small-screen miniseries.

Streaming service Hulu said Monday that the nine-hour series, titled "11/22/63" after King's book, includes the author and J.J. Abrams as executive producers.

King said in a statement that if any of his works cried out for "long-form, event TV programming," then "11/22/63" is it.

In King's 2011 novel, a high school teacher goes back in time to try to prevent the Nov. 22, 1963, killing of President John F. Kennedy by Lee Harvey Oswald.

The release date for "11/22/63" and casting weren't announced by Hulu or producer Warner Bros. Television. The series will be seen in the United States on Hulu and distributed internationally by Warner.

JJ Abrams is good, but Under the Dome had Spielberg and that was/is a steaming pile of crap (which I still watch).

braves01

Banned
Is The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson worth reading all the way through? I got it for free on Kindle, but I see it's 1000 pages long.

515Q0Ciqm8L.jpg

That was powerful, wrenching, gripping, one-of-a-kind stuff. I've never read anything like it. I feel blind-sighted and reeling, but in a good way.

Good luck making a movie of the trilogy, Hollywood. You're going to need it.

I finished volume 21 of The Walking Dead last night and I can't wait to see where everything goes in the next issue. Hopefully one day the show will be as good as the comics.

I'm also trying to finish Reality Is Broken which has provided a pretty interesting take on games and the influence they can have on society

the witcher series.

finished the last wish. going through sword of destiny.

so far so good. not mind blowing but still entertaining. havent read a book in a while.

sgossard

I'm seriously devouring "Ready Player One."
This book is incredible.

Some people here hate that book, I, for one, liked it a lot like you. It does have its flaws, you can tell it needs a bit of polish and that it's the author's first book. Maybe he rushed it a bit. Still, it's very enjoyable and I think I'll read it again sometime.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Some people here hate that book, I, for one, liked it a lot like you. It does have its flaws, you can tell it needs a bit of polish and that it's the author's first book. Maybe he rushed it a bit. Still, it's very enjoyable and I think I'll read it again sometime.

I respect Ready Player One's enthusiasm, but it relies way too much on the reader sharing Cline's nostalgia.

I respect Ready Player One's enthusiasm, but it relies way too much on the reader sharing Cline's nostalgia.

I agree with this to a degree, but Cline's nostalgia almost identically (creepily?) corresponds with mine, which is why it clicked magnificently for me. Certainly not an award winner, but a damned fun read.

ShaneB

Still just continually scroll through what I have on my Kobo. =/ Big time funk. Maybe I'll make a stop into Chapters after work, maybe I need a physical book. I do think I'm in the mood for some fantasy or sci-fi, just want something not that overwhelming I suppose.

Ashes

Banned
Some really lovely lines from War of the worlds ( spoilers this is near the end of the book - even though it is 1898):

Where there was no black powder, it was curiously like a Sunday in the City, with the closed shops, the houses locked up and the blinds drawn, the desertion, and the stillness. In some places plunderers had been at work, but rarely at other than the provision and wine shops. A jeweller's window had been broken open in one place, but apparently the thief had been disturbed, and a number of gold chains and a watch lay scattered on the pavement. I did not trouble to touch them. Farther on was a tattered woman in a heap on a doorstep; the hand that hung over her knee was gashed and bled down her rusty brown dress, and a smashed magnum of champagne formed a pool across the pavement. She seemed asleep, but she was dead.

London about me gazed at me spectrally. The windows in the white houses were like the eye sockets of skulls.

Those who have only seen London veiled in her sombre robes of smoke can scarcely imagine the naked clearness and beauty of the silent wilderness of houses.

By the toll of a billion deaths man has bought his birthright of the earth, and it is his against all comers; it would still be his were the Martians ten times as mighty as they are. For neither do men live nor die in vain.

And as I looked at this wide expanse of houses and factories and churches, silent and abandoned; as I thought of the multitudinous hopes and efforts, the innumerable hosts of lives that had gone to build this human reef, and of the swift and ruthless destruction that had hung over it all; when I realised that the shadow had been rolled back, and that men might still live in the streets, and this dear vast dead city of mine be once more alive and powerful, I felt a wave of emotion that was near akin to tears.

The torment was over. Even that day the healing would begin. The survivors of the people scattered over the country--leaderless, lawless, foodless, like sheep without a shepherd--the thousands who had fled by sea, would begin to return; the pulse of life, growing stronger and stronger, would beat again in the empty streets and pour across the vacant squares... All the gaunt wrecks, the blackened skeletons of houses that stared so dismally at the sunlit grass of the hill, would presently be echoing with the hammers of the restorers and ringing with the tapping of their trowels. At the thought I extended my hands towards the sky and began thanking God. In a year, thought I--in a year...

sgossard

Still just continually scroll through what I have on my Kobo. =/ Big time funk. Maybe I'll make a stop into Chapters after work, maybe I need a physical book. I do think I'm in the mood for some fantasy or sci-fi, just want something not that overwhelming I suppose.

When I feel like that I read something really short and easy like the 33 1/3 books. After a really long/exhausting book I need kind of a palate cleanser. Maybe try a graphic novel?

ShaneB

When I feel like that I read something really short and easy like the 33 1/3 books. After a really long/exhausting book I need kind of a palate cleanser. Maybe try a graphic novel?

Not one for graphic novels, those 33 1/3 books look like interesting reads sometime.

Decided to start this and see how it goes. Figure it's a quick read and makes sense. My first Neil Gaiman book.

15783514.jpg

edit: yeah, off to a wonderful start. Will be a quick read and exactly what I needed just to feel like I can finish something.

Mr.Towel

The 33 1/3 book about Celine Dion's Let's Talk About Love is legitimately good, even even if you have no interest in her or her music.

fakefaker

Finished up The Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley at around midnight last night. I give it around a 4 outta 5, as I really digged the world building, the creative cultures and personal dynamics and gender overturning, and the honest brutality of the story. The story was intriguing and the writing for the most part well done, but felt rough at times as did the dialogue. Will I get the next book in the series? Hell yeah, as it's beautifully set up by the author.

As for now, just going to read some pulps and wait for the horror to begin in Oct. WAHAHAHA!

Mr.Swag

Banned
Read the first 5 pages of "Annihilation" and they interested me enough to purchase it. Only $2.99

Still reading "Horns" only about a third of the way through. Loving Joe Hill, he might be better than his father.

Vikram Seth's 'A Suitable Boy'? It's HUGE,and VERY well-reviewed. Side note: Seth's publisher is suing him for not delivering the sequel in anywhere near the timeframe he agree to. Those 1200 pagers must really take it out of you.

I appreciate you replying! :)

I've heard of a Suitable Boy...didnt know there was supposed to be a sequel?

Is A Suitable Boy self contained though? I would hate to think a sequel never happens

It's too bad that there doesnt seem to be any book like a Fine Balance. I really miss reading it lol

leroidys

Re-reading Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami now. Wish he could still write stories like this...

I appreciate you replying! :)

Is A Suitable Boy self contained though? I would hate to think a sequel never happens

My pleasure. I think it's self-contained, yes. I don't really remember any blurbs or reviews saying 'can't wait for the next one!', so.

Plus, if you've not read any Rushdie, you should fix that. Midnight's Children or The Moor's Last Sigh are both good places to start.

Khaz

I just received my copy of the first volume in the Don Rosa collection. Damn it's good.

9781606997420.jpg

Just like every other Fantagraphics collected works, it's a very thick and sturdy book, nothing feels cheap about it. In terms of contents, it's over 200 pages of comics, cover illustrations, in depth commentaries and a lengthy foreword, all by the Man himself.

If you like the author, get it. It's the ultimate collection.

If you're interested in comics, get it too. Rosa's Ducks comics are known for their awesome art, excellent stories and humour.

If you only know Scrooge from Ducktales, get it. It's like Ducktales, but better. (Many Ducktales episodes were watered down versions of Barks or Rosa stories.)

Bazza

On the last book of The Long Price by Dan Abraham, the 1st 3 were not to bad, a little predictable in places but still enjoyable. Looking forward to seeing how the world gets set right after what happened in book 3.

Woorloog

Banned
If you only know Scrooge from Ducktales, get it. It's like Ducktales, but better. (Many Ducktales episodes were watered down versions of Barks or Rosa stories.)

AFAIK, several Don Rosa's stories have "take that"s against Ducktales, presumably for this reason.
I never knew Ducktales watered down Barks and Rosa stories actually, but now those supposed "take that"s make sense, i never noticed those either but then it has been so long since i saw any Ducktales, 15+ years i think.

EDIT Oh, right, for anyone interested, gotta recommend The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck.

duckroll

Meant to post this for a while now, but kept getting distracted.

City of Saints and Madmen (Jeff Vandermeer)

I finished the initial four stories pretty quickly, but the appendix took a while to read because I enjoyed taking my time on it. Overall I really liked it. As an introduction to an original setting with its own history, culture, geography, and cast of characters from across the ages, it was really compelling both in what it told and how it was told. I really appreciated the formatting in the book too. It gave each story a unique feel and reinforced the illusion of the stories all being part of other larger separate books or self-contained publications. Really cool.

In terms of the content of each story, I think I liked the academic ones the best. The Early History of Ambergris and the monograph about the King Squid were really interesting and yet humorous. Filled with little hints and cries for help from the authors, trapped in their delusions or total cynicism of what they were writing. Dradin was a good opening story too, if rather predictable. It seemed obvious where the story was going, but at the same time it served as a good introduction to the city's locales and culture from the eyes of an outsider. It also set the tone of what to expect from the other first person stories in the collection - dread, insanity, and bad ends.

But the book isn't perfect. There's a huge flaw which sticks out right from the start, and continues to infest the book throughout, all the way to the end. I don't know if it is Vandermeer's ego, his obsession, or both, but the desire to self insert his personality and the book itself into the framework of the collection, taking up entire stories to create this meta narrative about the real world and Ambergris was just too much for me. It felt like bad fan fiction compromising the quality of much better works. Would have liked the collection much better without all the stuff about X. Although I did like the "message" at the end of The Man With No Eyes. That's the sort of meta stuff I feel more comfortable with, where it's just a little clever stinger at the end making the reader think about their own role in what makes a story.

Would definitely recommend this to anyone who likes psychological horror, Lovecraftian stuff, or just unorthodox period to modern fantasy settings with great world building.

The Dying Earth (Jack Vance)

I finished up the first book in the Tales of the Dying Earth collection too. The Dying Earth itself is a collection of six short stories which take place in a post-apocalyptic Earth setting which has over the centuries turned into some quasi-fantasy setting. Very D&D-ish in terms of naming conventions, although it pre-dates (and actually inspired) such conventions. Takes some getting used to. The stories themselves range from mediocre to pretty interesting. I wouldn't say it's a great read overall, but I enjoyed it for the oldschool style in the plotting. It doesn't waste any time in each of the stories, it has no airs about being some grand important work with something to say, but rather it just tells a few good stories which are quirky, interesting, or somewhat conventional. My favorite stories were the ones which ended poorly for the narrators - unfortunate tales which serve as a warning to poor character traits, but framed around unusual settings.

Probably the most interesting thing I've gotten out of reading Dying Earth was seeing the root of inspiration for many of the great modern fantasy writers today. George R R Martin and Gene Wolfe in particular are clearly very much influenced by the style and tone here, even they have greatly improved upon it in their own ways both in themes and in prose. In particular, way scientific advancements and modern technology is described in a somewhat deceptive way owing to the narration being framed around a fantasy minded setting is something that is a very clear comparison to Wolfe's work in the Solar Cycle books.

Before continuing with the rest of Tales of the Dying Earth, I think I'm going to read Emphyrio first. I think it would be more interesting to see what Vance can do with a longer story structure.

pulga

Banned
Second book of the "First Law" trilogy (Before They Are Hanged) at the moment, liking it very much so far, characters are a joy to read (Jezal probably being my favourite)!

Abercrombie is no Martin though, plot is very simple so far.

KingGondo

Banned
Second book of the "First Law" trilogy (Before They Are Hanged) at the moment, liking it very much so far, characters are a joy to read (Jezal probably being my favourite)!

I'm close to the end of The Blade Itself.

Very entertaining, but I agree with your assessment that it's a bit too straightforward.

I'll probably continue on and try to finish the trilogy.

omgkitty

I'm about to finish Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and I want to pick up something else to read before the weekend. Here's what I'm looking at:

Any recommendations?
Yes I understand that almost all of these are amazing books, and probably couldn't go wrong with any of them.

cheezcake

Horns - Joe Hill

Well, the premise was interesting, but the book just did everything too 'brazenly'. There wasn't any sort of subtlety to the storytelling and that made me lose interest about 1/3 of the way in. I might try pick it up again later.

Ancillary Justice - Ann Leckie

AWESOME. Must read for any sci-fi fans but a damn good read for everyone else as well.

Fiesta: The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway

Gotta say the start did interest me but the writing style and trying to remember all the Parisian names are pretty daunting at times. I feel like I need to 100% mentally devoted to the book or I'll end up having to reread the last page or two. Good think I have a few days off coming up in which I'll try devour this.

ShaneB

I'm close to the end of The Blade Itself.

Very entertaining, but I agree with your assessment that it's a bit too straightforward.

I'll probably continue on and try to finish the trilogy.

Given the straightfoward comments here, it actually sounds like something I would appreciate instead of something so sprawling and confusing when I just want to get in and out of a fantasy trilogy sometime soon.

Really loving 'The Ocean at the End of the Lane' so far as well. I think I just have an affinity when a story is told from a first person perspective of a younger character that leads to a sense of wonder. I guess that can be fickle since a lot of that would be considered YA tripe I suppose. Perhaps I should be reading more Neil Gaiman after this too.

KingGondo

Banned
Given the straightfoward comments here, it actually sounds like something I would appreciate instead of something so sprawling and confusing when I just want to get in and out of a fantasy trilogy sometime soon.
Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it. But there's very little subtlety and everything (including the humor) is a bit too on the nose.

I will say, however, that it's a breath of fresh air after laboring partly through The Way of Kings. Sanderson could stand to take some advice from Abercrombie in my opinion.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Any recommendations?
Yes I understand that almost all of these are amazing books, and probably couldn't go wrong with any of them.

Lolita followed by Snow Crash for that delicious mood whiplash.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm about to finish Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and I want to pick up something else to read before the weekend. Here's what I'm looking at:

Any recommendations?

I liked the Magicians a lot, but I think I'm in the GAF minority on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom