• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (September 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

Gene Wolfe's "Strange Travelers"
Primo Levi's "If This is A Man"
The Mongoliad Bk 2 - that big group authored thing.

And Paul Theroux's book about Vidia Naipaul. Strongly dislike both of em, really.

Interested to hear your opinion on it. I've read The Road and Blood Meridian both this year and loved them. I kind of feel the same way about his work that you do. There's like this mode you need to be in to really get it, and you just have to wait for it to click.

I've read all five of those and consider the Border Trilogy (I prefer Horses, my wife prefers Crossing) to be far more enjoyable than either The Road or Blood Meridian. There's none of the wallowing in viscera just for the shock value of it, or weak narrative motivation that characterize the latter two works. The Road especially seemed like a rather sophomoric effort, like the literary establishment had never read dystopian fiction and was bewildered "at all the crazy stuff in there". It almost feels like The Road should have been a poetic epic rather than prose, to justify its primacy on tone and language.

I've read all five of those and consider the Border Trilogy (I prefer Horses, my wife prefers Crossing) to be far more enjoyable than either The Road or Blood Meridian. There's none of the wallowing in viscera just for the shock value of it, or weak narrative motivation that characterize the latter two works. The Road especially seemed like a rather sophomoric effort, like the literary establishment had never read dystopian fiction and was bewildered "at all the crazy stuff in there". It almost feels like The Road should have been a poetic epic rather than prose, to justify its primacy on tone and language.

Interssting. So there's a whole trilogy here to read? That's fantastic! I do agree that The Road was the weaker of the two that I've read. I enjoyed the writing far more than the actual story. I'll definitely put the whole Border Trilogy next on my To Read list.

besada

Banned
Finished Ann Leckie's Ancillary Justice, which got better as it went. While I found her use of all female pronouns for the Radch interesting, it was also occasionally frustrating. Once I knew a character was "male" I found it very jarring to hear them referenced with a feminine pronoun, which is part of the point, of course, but still would bounce me out of th narrative sometimes. I think Hannu Rajaniemi, among others, has done the multiple bodies/single consciousness idea better, but Leckie's book is still quite fun.

I was going to dive into a Nancy Kress triology after Ancillary Justice, but events have conspired to divert my attention. And by events, I mean this:
9780374292089_custom-ac5da1da2dd0da77afebd2accea1fac3c2f43371-s2-c25.jpg

If you don't know who John Darnielle is, he's the lead singer and lyricist for The Mountain Goats, who happen to be one of my very favorite bands. In addition, the novel has already been nominated for The National Book Award.

I'm only ten pages in, but so far it's exactly the sort of novel you'd expect John Darnielle to write, full of broken people trying to get by.

For Whom the Bell Tolls - Hemingway
EWfTGha.jpg

I have been reading a lot of short stories lately on my kindle and decided to take a break and read one of the books that have been laying around the house for years. (if you have recommendations for authors like Lorrie Moore please share)

I'm almost half way in the book, but I'm really liking it. The last Hemingway book I read was the Sun Also Rises. I read it few years back and remember almost nothing about it other than the main plot, sort of. So reading FWTBT feels like I'm reading my first Hemingway book.

While the first few pages didn't grab. The heavy use of archaisms, like thou, for Spanish speakers felt like these section were badly translated at first. But I got used to it, and it made some sense. For me, using archaisms made the distinction between English and Spanish speakers easy. Plus, it makes you aware that this is translated, sort of like a subbed film instead of dubbed.

Although the event take place during the Spanish civil war, this not an action packed thriller. To me, the book, so far at least, is about different people stuck in a difficult situation. The characters quickly grew on me (specially Pilar, for those who have read it).The interactions between the characters are very interesting; there is a lot of tension and power play between them making you wonder if anyone is tricking any, and that sort of thing.

I was surprised by the stream of consciousness parts and really liked them. Hemingway exposes the mind of the protagonist and shows you his fears and worries. There wasn't much of that at the beginning, but it seems to show more as the situation gets more tense.

My favorite parts are the stories told by Pilar. They remind me a lot of the army story in the Wind-up Bird Chronicles.

survivor

Banned
8iL8hUL.jpg
YGzXNhr.jpg

Finished reading Understanding Comics. Lots of neat ideas presented and McCloud is a pretty smart guy. He did philosophize too much about some concepts like what's the definition of a comic, but some of the other ideas like the different types of panels transitions were pretty interesting. I suppose the chapter about colours is the only part that is outdated since I don't think indie comics artists have trouble publishing coloured works anymore.

Also read the second part of Miyazaki's collection of essays and interviews. This one seemed less focused on the industry, anime, and his work history, but more about his commentary on society, Japanese history and environment. There were few cool parts about some of his favourite movies which unsurprisingly he barely watches any movies at all. He especially hates fantasy action hollywood movies like Indiana Jones, LOTR and Saving Private Ryan.

Z5tFFIZ.jpg

Also finished reading Notes from Underground, first Dostoevsky's book I read. I do have a copy of The Brothers Karamazov, but that thing is so massive I don't know when I will ever start it so I decided to read this one instead. Anyway I liked what the story was about and trying to tell, but I wasn't hugely sold on the writing. I can't tell if it's Dostoevsky's prose that I have an issue with or the translators, Richard and Larissa. I'm probably gonna try to see if I can get another version of the book with a different translator and compare the writing of both of them.

Ophelion

I'm working on Johannes Cabal and The Fear Institute. The Johannes Cabal series is so good, you guys. It's irreverent and clever and British. Those are three of my very favorite things! Stars a very intelligent jerkass necromancer in a quasi-steampunk world who has such adventures as: trying to win his soul back from The Devil, Solving a murder on an airship he's likely to be accused of committing in the first place, Mounting an expedition to the Lovecraftian Dream Lands to murder the spirit of fear, ect. Need to finish it before book four, The Brothers Cabal comes out.

I also just started the Book of the New Sun series because of Monte Cook listing it as a primary influence on Numenera, the setting being used for the new Torment game. Too early to say if I dig it, but I'm hopeful.

Ah that's a shame. Seems like a quick read since you got through it fast. Perhaps I should read Playing for Pizza.

Yeah, it's a quick read, only 4 chapters. I don't want to spoil anything, but it's kind of like a Friday Night Lights reunion episode, but not nearly as good. I'll probably just give it 2 stars.

Playing for Pizza is one of my favorites. Part football story, part foodie story, part vacation to Italy. Really loved it.

Not sure what I'll start next.

ShaneB

Yeah, it's a quick read, only 4 chapters. I don't want to spoil anything, but it's kind of like a Friday Night Lights reunion episode, but not nearly as good. I'll probably just give it 2 stars.

Playing for Pizza is one of my favorites. Part football story, part foodie story, part vacation to Italy. Really loved it.

Not sure what I'll start next.

Maybe I could just read Friday Night Lights.

No idea really, just in a complete reading funk perhaps.

So, after loving a Fine Balance, I've been meaning to read Shantaram.

How does GAF feel about Shantaram?

Also, on a more general note, I've loved a Thousand Splendid Suns, Fine Balance, and am just looking for a book that is similar to those two... just a story in a country or place where you follow some characters and read about simple lifestyles. I know that might be incredibly vague, but if anyone enjoyed those two books, I'd love some recommendations.

Also, I've enjoyed Book Thief, but felt it was more difficult to feel connected to that book because I don't really have a history with the country/situation. It was a great book, but I actually enjoy reading ATSS and Shantaram because it's not something I'd see in more common mediums like film.

As for the thread, I am going to finish off Trainspotting and then watch the movie. After that, it's either Shantaram or Fear and Loathing.

Finally finished Biodigital.

BioDigital-cover.jpg

Biodigital is a reworking of Acts of the Apostles, a Creative Commons novel by the same author back in 1999.

Pros: John Sundman is clearly an interesting fellow, with a lot of information and characterization in his mind about the tech industry and the overlord complexes that permeate it. I love the facts and fantasy that build the world. My first thought was that the book portrayed its villains as hilariously cartoonish, but I think on reflection that's partly creation (drawn from most thrillers) and partly accuracy. Silicon valley Bond villains aren't so far from the truth.

Cons: The writing is typically good enough, but the characters all talk the same way. There's a lot of reveals and twists in the book, and I found a few of them lacking. The plot doesn't feel well-structured in the third act - the inevitable "good guy comeuppance" near the end of the book feels rushed and poorly explained.

Each purchase of the book on Unglue.it will bring us closer to the book being freely available. I like that business model a whole lot.

Next up: VanderMeer maybe?

Epic fantasy binge reading continues. Malazan book 4, House of chains, down. Read in print. Continue to love the series. It feels bizarre to say this, but for some reason I really like most of the characters despite how comparatively little characterization probably happens in an objective sense. I get the feeling that
Karsa and Treach are both going to be instrumental in the Crippled God's eventual defeat. Even if the dude is running some deep game by trying to stick Karsa with history's only non-consensual ascension, there's no way he will get out of this unharmed in the end.
I also feel really bad for
Felisin, both of them.
Hopefully Tavore eventually gets to learn
Ganoes didn't actually die with the bridgeburners. Unless he's gonna bite it in the end because of his role in the whole deck thing. Then, never mind, she shouldn't have to mourn him twice.

In audio I finished Abercrombie's Best Served Cold and moved on to The Heroes. Liked Best Served Cold more than The Blade itself but not as much as its two sequels. So far The Heroes is pretty good. The chapter early on where Bremer effectively claims the title of
"Thirstiest Man in the Circle of the World"
had me cracking up. I love his ultra-frustrated internal monologue in general, and having all his cynicism briefly evaporate like that with no warning made things even better.

I keep considering reading A Dance with Dragons, but the more other stuff I fill my time with first, the shorter the wait to winds of winter.

So, after loving a Fine Balance, I've been meaning to read Shantaram.

How does GAF feel about Shantaram?

Also, on a more general note, I've loved a Thousand Splendid Suns, Fine Balance, and am just looking for a book that is similar to those two... just a story in a country or place where you follow some characters and read about simple lifestyles. I know that might be incredibly vague, but if anyone enjoyed those two books, I'd love some recommendations

Vikram Seth's 'A Suitable Boy'? It's HUGE,and VERY well-reviewed. Side note: Seth's publisher is suing him for not delivering the sequel in anywhere near the timeframe he agree to. Those 1200 pagers must really take it out of you.

Finished Poul Anderson's The Broken Sword, which I picked up based on all the GAF recommendations. Great read! 5/5 - review on Goodreads here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1031365583

Now moving into "scary season" (and hockey season) with a hat trick of horror - starting with another GAF favorite:
NOS4A2_cover.jpg

The other two horror books I plan on reading this season are The Shining and The Haunting Season.

kswiston

220px-KazuoIshiguro_TheRemainsOfTheDay.jpg

I finished The King of the Vagabonds and Odalisque in the Baroque Cycle series and wanted to take a break before moving on to the next book in the series.

[IMG said:
https://roqoodepot.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/wise_mans_fear.jpg?w=176&h=285[/IMG]
I am really enjoying this series. Again the framing device of the book is elegant and I read it more as a mystery then fantasy, I'm constantly and intently looking for clues for why
Kvothe lost his 'powers' and is now an innkeeper
. I have found that I am missing a lot of subtleties of the plot due to the length of the novels. For instance, it really went over my head that
Kvothe's mother is likely the older Lackless sister that ran away with the Ruh
. I simply can't remember a paragraph or song lyric from early in the first book when it is vaguely referenced midway through the 1000 page sequel. I'm rambling now and probably more upset I didn't put it together myself.....
Bugger but I did not like that book. Sequel is worse.

Apt101

I picked up The Dragon Man tonight, plan on starting it next week as soon as I can. I've never read a book that took place in Australia before, and I was in the mood for a crime story. I hope it's good. Never heard of the author.

Currently reading The Strain and Grain Brain. Strain is pretty much exactly like the show, its ok so far....

Grain brain is rather eye opening. I was always allergic to wheat/gluten, the book just covers the science behind the allergies and why gluten is bad for you.

BookGAF wins (well okay mostly Mumei wins). Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer is really frickin good.

I got sent a proof copy for review. It's brilliant at the start - and most surprisingly (to me, at least) is proper SF - "heartland genre", as the publishers describe it.

Please continue to post impressions in here if you can. That preorder button is calling me.

Finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy.
Even though it was lauded as one of the best books that came out in the genre (post apocalyptic) in the recent years, I was somewhat unimpressed.
Sure, it's a great book, but I've experienced better post apocalyptic "settings" in the recent years in various art forms (games, movies, TV, ...).
Even though I loved the theme and character's struggles, I didn't like his writing style, especially the dialogue and its formatting.

Started American Gods by Neil Gaiman.
Whow, what a start...

Cade

Guys 1Q84 is killing my reading with its length and I don't think you're allowed to use the word ejaculated this much unless you are strictly writing erotica

Paganmoon

Finished Neuromancer yesterday, it had it's ups and downs. Sort of end very abruptly, and Gibson's writing style can be hard to follow at times. But all in all a good read.

Going back to some fantasy next, with Daniel Abraham's third book in the long price quartet.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
efn3S8ql.jpg

Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie. I hugely enjoyed the first volume, Ancillary Justice, which won the Hugo Award (among many other awards), and so far this seems like a worthy followup. With the worldbuilding and gender stuff set, Leckie seems more able to focus on building Breq as a character and an individual, which, so far, makes the novel more fun to read than its predecessor.

Tenrius

Not really enjoying A Confederacy of Dunces so far (40% in). It's really well-written, but it does seem to lack some sort of purpose. The writing is occasionally funny, but the humour is either too grounded or too grotesque to my tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom