• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (September 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to give up on Redwall after the stories moved away from the original characters and just became an exercise in frustration and dibbuns. Lots and lots of dibbuns.
At a certain point, he lowered the age of his market and yeah.

But damn, they have been fun to return to for small amounts of time. First time rereading them in over a decade, so it's been a nostalgic trip.

Nuke Soda

Just started:

I noticed that there is a sequel to it and would like to know if it's just a duology or if there are more books expected. Also is the sequel recommended immediately after or could I hold off?

The sequel it worth a read right after John Dies at the End if you like it. Not sure if this is a two book deal or more, but I got the feeling that there will be more.

How it is? I was tempted to pick this up. I have two free credits on audible at the moment.

Also, can I just say that Please, Save My Earth is one of my most favorite mangas. Glad other people are giving it a chance :)

It's really good so far. The book itself isn't the most well-written, but it's in the perspective of a super nerd teenager so that's OK. Will Wheaton reads it very well and with entirely too much passion (which is to be expected of a super nerd).

ShaneB

I finished up Last Picture Show yesterday. Meh. I love a good coming-of-age story, and with how much praise Lonesome Dove gets, I would’ve imagined Larry McMurty would’ve written a great coming-of-age tale, but it just was a big miss. Liked it enough to quickly finish it as it was a fast read, but I was skimming the last couple chapters, and there was some really strange/awkward parts to read. Moving on.

In a mood to switch things up really, was in the mood for some fantasy really, and thought maybe The Way of Kings, but didn't want something do daunting, and then realized I could just read some historical fiction and since I've wanted to read this for a while...

Now Reading...
The Winter King (The Arthur Books #1) by Bernard Cornwell
18885916.jpg

besada

Banned
Finished Acceptance by Jeff VanderMeer this weekend. I found it to be lovely, haunting, dark, and strange in equal measure. It does a fantastic job of bringing together the disparate elements of the first two books, and gives what I felt to be a very satisfying ending. The Southern Reach books are some of the best I've read this year, and I'm looking forward next year to reading all three in a single go.

I'm currently reading Leckie's Ancillary Justice, which I'm enjoying when she can get out of her own way. It really feels like a first novel, which isn't to say it isn't interesting, but she seems to have a hard time juggling the multiple story lines in different time periods. I'm not quite done, though, so maybe she'll pull it all out of the hat at the end.

Once I'm done, I suspect I will be moving onto some Nancy Kress (Thanks again, Aidan!)

Last Words from Montmartre

productimage-picture-last-words-from-montmartre-399.png

I have a fascination with suicides, and here is a book, a epistolary novel of sorts, written by an experimental queer Taiwanese novelist, published after her suicide in 1995. I was also drawn to Suicide, written by Édouard Levé, who also took his life ten days after delivering the manuscript to his publisher. These suicide notes in book form hold a morbid appeal that I can't really justify in any meaningful way. I just like reading them and ruminating about mortality and depression, which are pet concerns of mine

Ravager61

Very slowly trying to make my way through this monster. I'm only about 150 pages in right now but I'm really enjoying it. It's pretty fascinating stuff. It is also surprisingly easy to read but still not super fast to read because of all the names and organizations to keep track of. I hope I can stick with it but it's going to take a while for me.

I wish it had a different cover on it though. I like to read on the balcony of my apartment and I think my neighbors might be a little suspicious of me reading a book plastered with swastikas.

Throw my name on the list of people who adore Catch-22. One of my all-time favorite novels, and the only novel I've ever really read twice. It's brilliant and I recommend it to anyone who will listen.

However, I just finished reading Closing Time, Joseph Heller's sequel. I made a thread about it but it fell off the front page pretty fast, no surprise. I found it pretty lacking. I knew not to expect it to be as good as Catch-22, but I was still pretty disappointed. Just wasn't able to capture the magic again.

Now that I finished that, I'm going to finish reading The End Of Time by Julian Barbour. It's a little more physics-y, though, so I'll probably start a new novel to read concurrently. Probably the next Sherlock Holmes novel that I haven't read.

Finished some light reading:

Us by David Nicholls

3.5/5 stars.

I got the ARC from the publisher because it sounded like something I'd want to read, and I was right. The book has its shortcomings, but I enjoyed it and looked forward to reading it each night when I had free time and really, isn't that what's most important in a book?

Nuke Soda

Re-read The Road by Corman McCarthy. The first time I read this book I liked it, but wasn't blown away like most people. Well that all changed on my second read through, I was blown away this time. What an amazing book.

ChopstickNinja

Neo Member
Finished two books this month.

First was Redshirts by John Scalzi.
redshirts-scalzi.jpg

I like it well enough. The back half kind didn't have the same hold and intrigue for me as the first half though. I did like the very ending though, the frame of the book, was great. Overall, good easy. I actually finished it over the course of two days.

Redshirts was actually a break for me between Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear.
wise_mans_fear.jpg

I am really enjoying this series. Again the framing device of the book is elegant and I read it more as a mystery then fantasy, I'm constantly and intently looking for clues for why
Kvothe lost his 'powers' and is now an innkeeper
. I have found that I am missing a lot of subtleties of the plot due to the length of the novels. For instance, it really went over my head that
Kvothe's mother is likely the older Lackless sister that ran away with the Ruh
. I simply can't remember a paragraph or song lyric from early in the first book when it is vaguely referenced midway through the 1000 page sequel. I'm rambling now and probably more upset I didn't put it together myself....

Next up for me is the Count of Monte Cristo.

Osorio

power%26glory.jpg

I'm liking it better than The Quiet American actually. Then again, the setting is much more familiar to me.

41NvdTrvR3L.jpg

Waiting for this to come in the mail.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
RWFTDVV.jpg

Trying to read this and I'm about 30 pages in.

The prose is beautiful but very reader unfriendly.

Has anyone read it? Should I bail?

So I just finished this book and it was amazing. It's about two gay boys during the lead up to the Easter rebellion in Ireland.

It apparently holds the record for the most expensive advance ever to an Irish author and its very easy to see why.

The characters, plot and prose are all superb.

Mumei

1868919.jpg
9995541.jpg
11086149.jpg

Catch-22 was fantastic. I found it a bit off-putting at first, in that I wasn't sure how seriously I should take it (and I got the impression that the answer was "completely, and not at all"), but once it clicked I was in love with it. Homophobic Bullying was ... interesting. I didn't learn too much from it, and I was somewhat disappointed that it didn't reference some work that I was familiar with (though that work wasn't framed as bullying research), but I did find it disconcerting reading about the long-term effects of homophobic bullying, because I thinking, "Yeah, that was me. Yes, that was my high school experience. Yes, I have issues with that." And it's things that I don't think about, or I just think of as "me." It makes me wonder what sort of person I'd be like without those experiences, and whether I'd like that person better than the person I am.

Currently Reading:

605663.jpg
11277525.jpg
8075404.jpg

Dickinson is still on backlog, though my copy is currently in transit. Whipping Girl is quite good; I think I'll read Serano's Excluded this year, too. And, uh, I'm still on the second issue of X-Statix. I'll get to it!

Still reading:

510xt3XPvQL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Fascinating...up until the bottom fell out of the French efforts to build it. Now it's a whole bunch of pages dedicated to finger-pointing/trials in France, which is of little interest to me. I'll punch through it, but it's a serious momentum-killer.

Also, just started this:

51iH2DcHQ-L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I've never read Moore, and I guess besides Watchmen, this is considered his best work? He came up on the David Foster Wallace listserve (among) other places, because he's just finished his 1 MILLION word draft of Jerusalem, his second novel. A few folks on the list have read his first novel and liked it quite a bit, so I need to check that out as well. It'll be a while before Jerusalem is published anywhere, so I've got plenty of time.

Oh, yeah, for comparison, Infinite Jest is a little over 500k words. Mind. Blown.

(BTW, what is UP with the lettering in From Hell? Yes, the art is a bit rough/stylish, but why make it weird to actually read?)

leakey

ghost-country-225.jpg

Just finished The Breach, which was short and exciting, so I'm already a quarter of the way through the sequel. Will probably jump into the finale after.

Finished Acceptance by Jeff VanderMeer this weekend.

I'm currently reading Leckie's Ancillary Justice

Are you me? Substitute in the first book of the Southern Reach trilogy, Annihilation, and this is exactly what I'm reading right now. So far I'm vastly prefering VanderMeer's book. No idea how everything will progress in the next two books, but this one is a huge winner for me.

This freaking book, man. It's dystopian science fiction, but I've gotten one or two moments of chills that are straight out of the better Stephen King novels. I want to know what the hell is going on, but at the same time I don't want the book to rush toward answers. Slow burn, please!

51iH2DcHQ-L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

(BTW, what is UP with the lettering in From Hell? Yes, the art is a bit rough/stylish, but why make it weird to actually read?)

It's Eddie Campbell, I think that's just part of the scratchy pen nib aesthetic. Man, I love him, and Moore, and this book so much. The background notes, too, just so good. I even bought & read the entire Alec collection. Need to do the same for Bacchus one of these days.

It's Eddie Campbell, I think that's just part of the scratchy pen nib aesthetic. Man, I love him, and Moore, and this book so much. The background notes, too, just so good. I even bought & read the entire Alec collection. Need to do the same for Bacchus one of these days.

Cool, thx for the input.

On a related note, Peter O'Toole was almost too pretty to be a man. In a good this-coming-from-a-hetero way.

Jintor

Can't really go back to Redwall anymore, but I do appreciate my time with it.

Will miss Jacques' incredible descriptions of food, even if it was vegetarian (what with most of the 'good guys' being hares, otters, mice and so on)

tumblr_nc3ms5D0pm1t46pjso1_250.jpg

Fantastic book, I'm little over 3 quarters and loving it. Recommend it to any WWI lovers.

The Guns of August, is another fantastic book that I finished just before starting the above.

sgossard

Whoever designed that cover is a genius. For serious.

I agree with you, but I think you mean, whoever chose that picture for that cover.

745px-Into_the_Jaws_of_Death_23-0455M_edit.jpg

Taxis to Hell – and Back – Into the Jaws of Death, by Robert F. Sargent, CPhoM, USCG
original caption: "American invaders spring from the ramp of a Coast Guard-manned landing barge to wade those last perilous yards to the beach of Normandy. Enemy fire will cut some of them down. Their 'taxi' will pull itself off the sands and dash back to a Coast Guard manned transport for more passengers."

edit: Come to think about it, I agree with you even more now. There's actual design behind the font choice and colors.

Vyer

516Jjc9XDVL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Never read it, trying to correct that error. I've read The Road and Blood Meridian. I love McCarthy's work. It's strange; his style of prose is always a little off putting when I start but once I hit the dialogue everything clicks and I'm hooked in.

fowlish

Neo Member
The first book in the trilogy (Annihilation) was claustrophobic and creepy but it was too short. I'm glad that this one is bulkier.[/QUOTE]

I'm reading Annihilation now, pretty good so far.

Wiktor

Finished
Liked it. Not a great book, but the lead character is very charismatic and the sense of Tokyo setting was excellent. Overall a good novel and very nice start of a series (crime series tend to improve considerably in later entries). Will pick up second volumne in a while.

Now reading:
One of the few recent King books I didn't read close to release, because I find JFK's assassination to be a pretty mundane and boring topic for a time travel story. But I've heard so much praise for this novel that I decided to give it a try.

Never read it, trying to correct that error. I've read The Road and Blood Meridian. I love McCarthy's work. It's strange; his style of prose is always a little off putting when I start but once I hit the dialogue everything clicks and I'm hooked in.

Interested to hear your opinion on it. I've read The Road and Blood Meridian both this year and loved them. I kind of feel the same way about his work that you do. There's like this mode you need to be in to really get it, and you just have to wait for it to click.

Great book. By turns funny and tragic. Very deserving of the National Book Award.

ShaneB

Think I might drop The Winter King. Just perhaps not what I'm in the mood for it seems, and I just don't feel compelled to keep reading.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I need someone to tell me whether I should start reading The Marriage Plot, The Summer Without Men, Beloved or the Rabbit Angstrom novels?

Caoz

Those guys have all the fun.

g27wXpx.jpg

Just started it. Taking a long time to explain the origin of the company which is not so remarkable in my opinion. It was interesting reading about the NCAA finals confrontation of Magic and Bird being probably the reason why it found early success.

Just finished another book today in the Metro.

Slaughterhousefive.jpg

I really enjoyed it. I'd previously read Cat's Cradle and I'm growing to like Vonnegut. Slaughterhouse Five was a really fun read. And short, too. I loved the way the novel was framed. The story within a story with unreliable narrators. And I really empathized with Billy Pilgrim's worldview. Or the Tralfamagorians view. At first I found Billy annoying because of the way he seemed to just passively play along with whatever fate dealt him but it really worked well once you got further into the story and understood his past. Future. Whatever. Point is, I would recommend.

I think I might read Lolita next. Just another one of those books I hear nothing but praise for. Might as well stick with classics so I know I'm getting something good!

Nuke Soda

Now reading The Scorch Trials by James Dashner, sequel to The Maze Runner. It is not great so far, but I like it well enough.

I finished The Colorado Kid by Stephen King today. It was only 180 pages so I just knocked it out in a sitting. It was ok, I guess. Sort of interesting, but ultimately nothing happened. I have his second Hard Case book, Joyland, that I'll start soon. Then it's back onto the Expanse series.

Speaking of the Hard Case books are any of you guys familiar with that imprint? Is there a book (or books) under that label I should pick up?

Way of Kings kindle is free atm. Might be a price error? Go go go!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003P2WO5E/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Cool. "Bought"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom