• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your favorite Sega Genesis games? (and other tips for the system?) (LTTP)

maxcriden

TL;DR: What are your most recommended games for the system that aren't on Wii, Wii U or 3DS Virtual Console? And why are they your faves?

List of Wii VC Genesis games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_(North_America)#Sega_Genesis

photoon12-28-16at10.1poxop.jpg

See Q2 below for explanation if you have any understandable shock upon seeing a Genesis hooked up to an HDTV

On Christmas morning, my wife surprised me with a Sega Genesis, a couple controllers (the OG one is at the end of the other cord pictured above), Lion King, Mickey Mania, and accidentally a Game Gear copy of Castle of Illusion with an IOU from Santa for the Genesis version.

I've never owned a Sega system before. As a kid I have memories of watching a friend play Sonic once in first grade, and maybe the same friend play Sonic on Game Gear as well. This was somewhere murkily in the area of 1994-1998 so I'm not sure if the console Sega was Genesis or Saturn. I feel like a CD may have been involved, so I'm guessing that's Saturn? You can already see I know woefully little about Sega's consoles.

My extent of experience with Sega games (beyond a brief dabble in the Sonic Advance and Chu Chu Rocket games) mostly consists of playing Ristar on VC. I think I have Landstalker and a couple Wonder Boy games but haven't played much if any of them. I tried Sonic Adventure 2 one time on GCN and the Lost World demo on Wii U and I couldn't get into either. Billy Hatcher always looked cool but I don't know that I ever tried it.

Anyway, we played some Ristar in the latter half of this year. We found it charming but really, really tough, including the controls... this was on Wii VC, though, so maybe it's easier to control on an OG Genesis controller. We used the level select code in order to "save" after beating levels but still couldn't beat it. Fun game, though. Oh, and early 2015 (?) we got a used Retron 5 and didn't care for it at all, but tried maybe one obscure Disney platformer whose name is escaping me and it was ok but very hard, as well as Mickey Mania which was brutally difficult (though perhaps the Retron controller didn't help on that front.) We're big Disney fans, though, so of the couple levels we played before I sold the Retron were very fun to see in terms of Steamboat Willie et al. I have fond memories of standing in the Disney Main Street Theater at Disneyland watching the original Steamboat Willie and then of the recent Disney Short that riffed on that.

My wife's experience with Genesis is a bit different, as a kid she mainly played two games -- Lion King on Genesis and Rayman on PSX. Two punishingly difficult platformers! We both love The Lion King (in fact, one of my Christmas gifts to her was the Legacy Collection Soundtrack!) so she was psyched to share the experience of the game with me. It's super fun, and man, I did not know how hard LK was. We're mostly using level select to "save" (not having save features isn't my favorite, I know it's a product of the time though) and are on the last level.

So, I have several questions for Genesis peeps:

1) What are your most recommended games for the system that aren't available on Wii, Wii U or 3DS Virtual Console? And why are they your faves?

List of Wii VC Genesis games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_(North_America)#Sega_Genesis

I ask this because any game I can own digitally instead I'd probably prefer to. I especially love platformers and adventure games a la Zelda, so, I'm most interested in those, but open to many others as well (I don't tend to like violent games or sports games though). I'm interested in hearing favorites in general, too.

2) What is the best way to play the system on an HD TV?

I know, I need a CRT. And we will get one, eventually. For the time being we're at an AirBNB playing on a 55" LCD TV and it really doesn't look that bad (using R/W/Y, which I believe is composite), and I'm sure it'll look a little better on our 35" home LCD TV, I know that's a bit of sacrilege to say, though. Is there a component or HDMI cord or adapter available?

3) If we want the ability to save games, is a GameShark our best bet or will most games have a level select code? Forgive my ignorance, but do any games offer a save feature?

4) What's the region locking situation? Can I play JP games on the system?

5) Are some of the Disney games that are also on SNES, i.e. Lion King, Aladdin, essentially identical to their SNES counterparts or are completely different games?

Thanks all so much in advance!

P.S. I know there's a Master System/Genesis appreciation/collecting thread and I plan to poke my head in there, but I thought this thread might reach a wider audience.

best games imo:

Story of Thor (Beyond Oasis in US)
Zombies Ate My Neighbours
Speedball 2
Jungle Strike
Aladdin
Alien Soldier
World Of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck
Rocket Knight Adventures
Space Harrier 2
Mickey Mania
Rock n Roll Racing
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Mega Bomberman
Mega Turrican
Earthworm Jim
Shining in the Darkness
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Sonic 3
Sonic & Knuckles
Thunder Force 3
Thunder Force IV
Warsong
Streets of Rage 2
Truxton
Steel Empire

Some of the games have different names in each territory. Story of Thor is the best game on the mega drive.

Wow, I didn't know Monster World IV was released in english for VC, that's fucking awesome, because is my favorite Genesis game by far.

I can see Gaiares, Panorama Cotton and Thunder Force IV are not in the VC list, go with that.

I would start by recommending the Disney games: Castle of Illusion, Quacksot, etc. They are gorgeous and fantastic and aren't available because of licensing issues.
And I don't know if it is available on Virtual Console or not but Alien Soldier is a must play, even better than Gunstar Heroes.

maxcriden

best games:

Story of Thor (Beyond Oasis in your territory)
Zombies Ate My Neighbours
Speedball 2
Jungle Strike
Aladdin
Alien Soldier
World Of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck
Rocket Knight Adventures
Space Harrier 2
Mickey Mania
Rock n Roll Racing
Castlevania: The New Generation (Bloodlines in your territory)
Mega Bomberman
Mega Turrican
Earthworm Jim
Shining in the Darkness
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Sonic 3
Sonic & Knuckles
Thunder Force 3
Thunder Force IV (Lightening Force : Quest for the Darkstar in your territory)
Warsong (Langrisser in Japan if you end up liking it and want to explore the franchise)
Truxton
Steel Empire

Thank you! Can you give some info on World of Illusion and Rocket Knight Adventures? BTW, I couldn't fit it in the title but I'm only looking for games not available on VC.

Also, re: Aladdin -- are some of the Disney games that are also on SNES, i.e. Lion King, Aladdin, essentially identical to their SNES counterparts or are completely different games?

answers in red

1) What are your most recommended games for the system that aren't available on Wii, Wii U or 3DS Virtual Console?
Rocket Knight Adventures by Konami

RGB cables + Micomsoft XRGB Framemeister

3) If we want the ability to save games, is a GameShark our best bet or will most games have a level select code? Forgive my ignorance, but do any games offer a save feature?
Some games have battery save, otherwise check out the everdrive lineup to play with savestates on regular hardware

maxcriden

answers in red

1) What are your most recommended games for the system that aren't available on Wii, Wii U or 3DS Virtual Console?
Rocket Knight Adventures by Konami

RGB cables + Micomsoft XRGB Framemeister

Some games have battery save, otherwise check out the everdrive lineup to play with savestates on regular hardware
Thanks SB!
Dang, those are crazy pricy. $400 and up! I guess at that point I better just get a CRT. If I'm ok with just slightly improved picture quality in the meantime, is there a lesser component option besides the one you listed?

Thank you! Can you give some info on World of Illusion and Rocket Knight Adventures? BTW, I couldn't fit it in the title but I'm only looking for games not available on VC.

Yeah, I read that but I wasn't going through that list and crosschecking myself :p

World of Illusion is a really fun platformer - play as donald or mickey in co-op or alone - you go different paths depending if you chose donald or mickey if you're alone.

Rocket Knight Adventures is a superb action platformer (you may know it as sparkster). you can fly in a straight line for short periods of time. One of konami's best games from their heyday

maxcriden

Yeah, I read that but I wasn't going through that list and crosschecking myself :p

World of Illusion is a really fun platformer - play as donald or mickey in co-op or alone - you go different paths depending if you chose donald or mickey if you're alone.

Rocket Knight Adventures is a superb action platformer (you may know it as sparkster). you can fly in a straight line for short periods of time. One of konami's best games from their heyday

Thanks Sir, much appreciated! They both sound very much up our alley. Isn't there a RKA sequel? Any good?

Also, re: Aladdin -- are some of the Disney games that are also on SNES, i.e. Lion King, Aladdin, essentially identical to their SNES counterparts or are completely different games?

I played both Aladdin games, they're entirely different by different developers (snes = capcom, megadrive = virgin). Mega Drive one is better imo. Certainly tougher.

Capcom had the disney license still from the nes days for nintendo platforms I think, so they're probably all different.

Thanks Sir, much appreciated! They both sound very much up our alley. Isn't there a RKA sequel? Any good?

Yeah, Sparkster, it's great too.

Opa-Pa

I'm kind of in the same boat as you OP, I've been having a wonderful time discovering many Sega games I never heard of before this year. Also a bit funny I came here to recommend Ristar above everything else.

There's a lot of good suggestions already, so I'll say Castlevania: Bloodlines. It's one of the best classic games in the series IMO, and the music is fantastic. I don't think Konami has ever re-released it anywhere else.

Mega Man: Wily Wars is a compilation of remakes of the first three games, with some additional content after you finish all three... The problem is that it was a Sega Channel exclusive in the US, so you'll probably have to resort to your Retron for it.

And this isn't exactly what you asked for, but I'd also recommend most Sega 3D Classics on the 3DS eshop. Especially Streets of Rage 1/2, Fantasy Zone 1/2 and Outtun. They're fantastic ports worth checking out even/especially if you already like these games (the physical collection is a nice package too, but it's missing many of the best titles).

Beckx

Production of the Framemeister has ended, i believe, so if you want one at anything like a reasonable price, now is the time to get one. it's just going to get worse. (Though they might introduce new and more affordable products, of course)

Framemeister is the god tier upgrade for retro gaming, to borrow a phrase.

My short of list of don't miss titles:

Castle of Illusion
Mutant League Football
NHL 94
Target Earth
Phantasy Star II, III, and IV (get IV if you have no connection to series & just want mechanically amazing RPG)
Castlevania: Bloodlines
M.U.S.H.A. (warning: LOL prices, you might want to just get the Wii VC version)

harz-marz

Aladdin is the best 2D platformer I've ever played.

Other favs are:

Sonic 2
Gunstar Heroes
Streets of Rage 2
Kid Chameleon
Micro Machines (4 player cart!)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Thanks SB!
Dang, those are crazy pricy. $400 and up! I guess at that point I better just get a CRT. If I'm ok with just slightly improved picture quality in the meantime, is there a lesser component option besides the one you listed?
There's a component cable from HD Retrovision but they won't be making more for a few months. Also, your TV may or may not support 240p over component. Their site goes over how to determine if they'll work on your TV in the Support section.

http://www.hdretrovision.com/genesis/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjAVCDO3QGM

kunonabi

I wasn't a big genesis guy growing up but I'm partial to:

Castlevania Bloodlines
Shining Force
Shining Force II
Phantasy Star IV
Flashback
Haunting starring Polterguy
Comix Zone
Monster World IV

Only one answer naming Phantasy Star 4. This is a travesty.
EDIT: people are in remedy mode.

Also: Shining Force 2 and Shining force 1.

I kinda like Gain Ground, Splatterhouse 3(I think that's the one?)

Crusader of Centy!
Decap attack is another uniquely designed game.

EDIT: Monster World 4 is only okay, but Wonderboy in Monsterworld is god tier.

EDIT3: I just looked up "the Haunting Starring Polterguy" and that game is jacked up.

Ripenen

General Chaos is a super fun multiplayer game, especially if you get four players playing.

Jungle Strike is also great and pretty unique. I can't really think of any game like it (aside from the sequels).

Gauntlet 4 is a really great game, has a story mode you can play solo and everything. Also one of the best soundtracks on Genesis. That was one of the first games I got with my system. Spent a ton of time on it. Also it has the regular arcade mode, arcade mode with password saves, and even a pvp mode. It's a really great package

Most of my other favorites are on the virtual console in some form.

Mupod

I have a special place in my heart for the Genesis, and it's not just nostalgia. I was certainly the 'Genesis kid' growing up but I also loved the SNES. I feel like over the years I gained a different kind of appreciation for the Genesis - its look, sound, and fast paced arcadey action games have aged amazingly well. I love the pounding synth music that comes out of this thing when it's done right.

I have multiple Model 1 systems and I'm a bit picky about the sound. For example I modded the preamp on my older Model 1 at some point because the scratchiness out of the headphone port was bugging me. But games like Streets of Rage 2 sound incredible through the real hardware's headphone output...emulators and youtube don't quite capture it.

I can of course recommend games like Gunstar Heroes or Phantasy Star IV but I have some slightly less common personal favorites.

Alien Soldier

I love Treasure. Gunstar Heroes was my favorite game as a kid, and if you asked me to name a favorite on the spot right now, it might still be my answer. But I didn't play Alien Soldier as a kid, because it never came out here. I wish it had! It captures a lot of what made GH great but is a wholly different thing...it's basically a pure boss rush game, extremely fast and challenging with huge enemies. But the catch here is the main character is very powerful if you can get a handle on the controls. It's well worth the time to learn, this was the first game that I tried speedrunning and to this day it's usually what I boot up my Genesis to play.

It's easy to find in various collections Sega has released but as no NA cart was ever released, I guess you'd need a repro cart or an everdrive to play it on that system.

Contra: Hard Corps

Infamous for its difficulty in the NA version...they actually made it harder from the Japanese one, in which you had a life bar instead of 1 hit kills. This is absolutely my favorite Contra game. It's kinda weird in that it's almost a boss rush game, although not completely like Alien Soldier. But it's fun as hell and not THAT hard. Pick Browny (the little robot) for the game's equivalent of easy mode. I see you've got a 6 button controller, this game doesn't support it extensively but it does make it a little easier.

Anyways, it's got one of my favorite soundtracks on the Genesis. Very 'Genesis Konami' and badass as hell. I believe Akira Yamaoka worked on it.

If you've ever played Contra: Shattered Soldier, in a way I've always felt like that was a sequel to Hard Corps more than Contra 3. Although Hard Corps technically has a sequel in Uprising (also very cool).

Lightening Force/Thunder Force IV

I played this for the first time last year, so no nostalgia was involved. I was blown away by how good it is. The soundtrack is METAL AS FUCK and amazing. The game looks great from the get-go and has some cool visual tricks that impress to this day. But most importantly it still plays well and is my kind of shmup...they don't make them like this anymore. I've always been more of the Gradius or R-Type kind of guy rather than bullet hell, and this is more along those lines. Probably one of my favorites after maybe Blazing Star.

It's tough but fair. I was able to beat it after a couple evenings on a real cart with no cheats. There's a few moments in the game that are just extremely memorable and cool.

It's also not super expensive and I bet you can find a real cart if you look a bit. Thunder Force 3 is also decent but I greatly prefer 4.

There's a component cable from HD Retrovision but they won't be making more for a few months. Also, your TV may or may not support 240p over component. Their site goes over how to determine if they'll work on your TV in the Support section.

http://www.hdretrovision.com/genesis/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjAVCDO3QGM

Just chiming in that I have these cables and they work great on an LCD HDTV. Although that was just an experiment and I actually use them on a CRT. Sonic games in particular are stunning with those.

But yeah, I was camping the order page earlier this year and just barely got mine in.

Personal Favorites, though I can't say they're all amazing:

Quackshot (part Donald Duck adventure, part Ducktales game. Play it.)

Castlevania: Bloodlines (best Classicvania game after Dracula's Curse, this oft-overlooked gem should be in every Castlevania fans' library)

Aladdin (100% different than SNES, and while I love both, this has music from the movie and Aladdin has a scimitar. Animation is top-notch as well)

Jurassic Park (H.A.R.D. but you choose to play as Alan Grant or a Raptor)

Dune: Battle for Arrakis (Genesis port of Dune 2 on PC, granddaddy to 90's-00's RTS games, made by the Command and Conquer team at Westwood)

X-men (Hard, sometimes rough around the edges action platformer staring our favorite mutants)

X-men 2 (much better sequel with playable Psylocke, plus, game has a cold opening as soon as you boot it up. No title screen immediately. No, you're just thrust into the action)

Battletech(early MechWarrior universe game)

Rocket Knight Adventures (Awesome opossum platformer)

TMNT: Hyperstone Heist (think Turtles in Time: Remix Edition)

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure (fun platformer)

Contra: Hard Corps (Hard Contra with a playable Werewolf character)

Mega Man: The Wily Wars (think Mario All-Stars, but for the first 3 Mega Man games, along with an original Wily Tower when you beat 1-3)

yyr

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 was supposed to be a huge game, twice the size that it actually is.

Sonic & Knuckles contains the second half of that game, and has its own pass-through cartridge port so you can plug Sonic 3 into it. When you plug the combined cartridges into your Genesis, you have the complete experience, and what the game was meant to be in the first place ("Sonic 3 & Knuckles"). And what a game it is! It's on my list of all-time favorites, and on others' lists as well =)

This is the best way to play the game. If you play them separately:
1) you will not be able to use Sonic 3's game-save feature in S&K; you'll need to complete that entire second half in one sitting.
2) you won't be able to take the dumb AI Tails with you into S&K, or play as Knuckles in the Sonic 3 levels.
3) you won't be able to obtain Super Emeralds and see the true ending.

Both individual cartridges are included in many emulation collections (including Wii VC) but the combined game is harder to come by (not on Wii VC). For example, if you purchase both Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles for X360 (backwards compatible on XB1 too!), the games will detect this and allow you to play Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

You can also plug Sonic 2 into the S&K cartridge to play as Knuckles in Sonic 2, or plug the Sonic 1 cartridge into the S&K cartridge to play an unlimited number of S3&K bonus levels ("Blue Sphere"). Once again, these options are not found in many emulation collections.

And, if you've never played Sonic before, S3&K is a fine place to start. =)

Mzo

Welcome to the more interesting side of 16-bit gaming.

I'd recommend Gunstar Heroes, McDonald's Treasure Land, Dynamite Headdy (Japanese release is better,) and Alien Soldier (no US release.) Treasure set the x68000 heart on fire.

Can't go wrong with those and the Sonics to start.

I'd also recommend putting some time into and really appreciating the games you have without feeling like you have to buy the entire library as fast as possible.

Castlevania: Bloodlines (best Classicvania game after Dracula's Curse, this oft-overlooked gem should be in every Castlevania fans' library)

Absolutely agree except PCE Rondo of Blood is above both of them.

My personal Genesis favorites:

Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse
Fire Shark
Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3
Strider
Road Rash II

For me the Genesis version of Shadowrun is a must have. It's a very different RPG, in some ways superior to the SNES version because you feel more like you're really in the shoes of one of the game's cyberpunk "runners" thanks to its more open-ended, non-linear structure. It's also dripping with cyberpunk atmosphere. It might be a little expensive and hard to find, but if you happen across it snap it up.

Shadowrun_(1994)_Coverart.png

FN-2187

NHL 94
Thunder Force III
Castle of Illusion
Moonwalker
Ghostbusters
TMNT: Hyperstone Heist

Tons of other stuff, but it's all on Wii VC (if it hasn't been delisted).

Contra: Hard Corps is the best run-and-gun ever made, but probably not worth the price if you don't plan on hunkering down and getting good enough to beat it.

Rocket Knight Adventures is an all-time classic, but this thread covered it pretty well.

If you're into Castlevania games, Bloodlines is a top-tier entry.

Zombies Ate My Neighbors is a great coop game (essentially a top-down shooter where you rescue pedestrians), but a little unforgiving and pricey.

If you don't want a game that'll kick the shit out of you, Animaniacs is a surprisingly good puzzle-platformer with a novel character-switching mechanic a-la Lost Vikings. Being a licensed game, it's also very cheap to get a hold of. You'd probably like this one quite a bit.

Puggsy is a game nobody talks about, but it's a great puzzle-platformer (with a primitive physics system, surprisingly enough) and was one of the earlier games to put Traveller's Tales on the map. It reminds me a lot of Super Mario World in that half of the fun of it is finding the secret levels. A lot of them are really experimental in the same way SMW's Special World was.

Toy Story is stupidly fucking hard, but a decent enough game for the price it goes for these days.

EDIT: Oh, and you'll want a Game Genie not only for cheating in games, but also bypassing region protection.

Vorg

Banned
Nah, he's right. Alien Soldier has way better bosses and is way more focused in general (less fat / boring sections than Gunstar Heroes).

He's not right. Alien Soldier is a good game, but it's essentially a boss rush game. Gunstar heroes has actual levels and lots of variety between them. Also, 2 player mode. Besides, saying Alien soldier has better bosses is laughable. Maybe it has more bosses (since that's all you do in the game), but that's pretty much it. Gh is better is every way.

Peltz

He's right though.

He's not right. Alien Soldier is a good game, but it's essentially a boss rush game. Gunstar heroes has actual levels and lots of variety between them. Also, 2 player mode. Besides, saying Alien soldier has better bosses is laughable. Maybe it has more bosses (since that's all you do in the game), but that's pretty much it. Gh is better is every way.

You can spam the same weapon (chaser + eletricity) the entire game without getting damaged in GH. It makes the game stupid-easy. Alien Soldier has no piss-easy shortcuts. It's boss-rush design is also innovative and unique, especially when combined with the weapon upgrade system and the ability to zip around the screen. Plus the main character looks badass.

I can't get very far in Alien Soldier, yet I recognize that it's way better than GH - which is easier but to the point of being flawed. Alien Soldier is one of the most innovative and fun action games I've ever played after you wrap your head around the controls.

alf717

I guess my list would be

Sonic and Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
Toe Jam & Earl
Championship Pro-Am
General Chaos.
Strike series: Desert, Jungle, Urban
Ghouls n Ghosts
Aerobiz
Centurion
Road Rash II
Granada

And a few more I'm probably forgetting.

I play on a CRT via S-video and Wii VC via Component.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
My favorites are

X-Men 2 Clone Wars
Streets of Rage 2
Castlevania Bloodlines
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Phantasy Star IV
NHL '94
Adventures of Batman & Robin

Top Bottom