• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your favorite Sega Genesis games? (and other tips for the system?) (LTTP)

Danneee

Road Rash 2
Jungle Strike
Streets of Rage 2
Sonic 2

The only games you need for the console.

Oh, and MUSHA is freaking awesome but expensive.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Road Rash 2
Jungle Strike
Streets of Rage 2
Sonic 2

The only games you need for the console.

Oh, and MUSHA is freaking awesome but expensive.

I once championed Sonic 2 as being better than Sonic 3 & Knuckles

I was wrong.

LoveCake

I had a Mega Drive as they were called here in the UK, I still have it, the only games I have kept are Robocop Vs Terminator and Eternal Champions.

wondermega

Um let's see. There was a time when I couldn't decide if I liked Genesis or NES better, for all time favorite system. Some standouts for me..

Ghouls n Ghosts - yes it's quite old, even for a genesis game, but the standout of one of the most memorable platform games, in my opinion. I still go back and play it because it's just that enjoyable.

Castle of Illusion - the first 16 bit Mickey game was the best! This one is dripping with love and heart. It preceded Sonic by at least a year I'd wager, so besides the launch Ghouls it was THE go-to platform game on the console for awhile.

Technosoft - all their games on this system are just gold. Thunder Force 2 and Herzog are my stand outs.

Shinobi - we've got Revenge, Shadow Dancer, and Shinobi 3. It's hard to pick a favorite. A lot of people will argue this, but I feel that spiritually ESWAT belongs in this category.

Gunstar Heroes - it's in a class by itself.

Musha - I know, I know, it's pricey. Not sure if I like it better than equally hard to find Space Megaforce sequel on SNES. Although I pretty certainly liked both more than the predecessor, Blazing Lasers on Turbografx-16. Can you tell that I'm a fan of these games? Play them all!

Lots of cool and weird games to check out on this excellent system. Some day I'll give blood lines and hard core a proper go..

bodine1231

I played through Rocket Knight Adventures this weekend for the first time. It is amazing. Easily one of,if not the best platformer on the system. Beautiful graphics,fun (and varied) gameplay, great controls, it has it all.

1) What are your most recommended games for the system that aren't available on Wii, Wii U or 3DS Virtual Console? And why are they your faves?

There are too many good games on the Genesis. Here's an extremely long list of games I recommend.

Shining ___
Sonic ___
Aladdin (Better than the SNES version)
Castlevania Bloodlines
Castle of Illusion
Contra Hard Corps
Earthworm Jim (better than the SNES version)
Ecco the Dolphin
Golden Axe 1, 2, and 3
Ghouls n Ghosts
Gunstar Heroes
Landstalker
The Lion King
Maximum Carnage
Monster World 3 & 4
Phantasy Star 2, 4 (start with 4 then do 1-4)
Ristar
Shinobi III and Revenge of Shinobi
Sparkster
Street Fighter 2 Championship Edition (better than SNES)
Streets of Rage (especially 4)
Thunderforce
TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist
Toejam and Earl
Truxton
Zombies Ate My Neighbors (not as good as SNES)

2) What is the best way to play the system on an HD TV?

If a PVM is not an option, get an XRGB-3, a Framemeister or an OSSC.

BTW If you are using a Genesis 3 (that tiny piece of shit in your picture) ignore the previous sentence. You are going to have to deal with a bad experience (sound, video, ability to handle expansions). When you get a chance, get a model 1.

3) If we want the ability to save games, is a GameShark our best bet or will most games have a level select code? Forgive my ignorance, but do any games offer a save feature?

Don't do this. It ruins the games. Accept your loss and keep trying.

4) What's the region locking situation? Can I play JP games on the system?

Japanese Genesis games are a slightly different shape. You can play almost all of them by making a slight change to the shape of your cartridge slot or using a Game Genie. Games that have further region locking can be bypassed by a simple mod or using a Game Genie code. PAL games require a hardware mod.

5) Are some of the Disney games that are also on SNES, i.e. Lion King, Aladdin, essentially identical to their SNES counterparts or are completely different games?

All Disney games are better on the Genesis.

reggie186

Thanks SB!
Dang, those are crazy pricy. $400 and up! I guess at that point I better just get a CRT. If I'm ok with just slightly improved picture quality in the meantime, is there a lesser component option besides the one you listed?

I ordered a SCART to HDMI converter on Amazon and a SCART Genesis cable on eBay. All together it might have been $50. It's not perfect, but I don't have a framemeister budget right now.

maxcriden

BTW If you are using a Genesis 3 (that tiny piece of shit in your picture) ignore the previous sentence. You are going to have to deal with a bad experience (sound, video, ability to handle expansions). When you get a chance, get a model 1.

Don't do this. It ruins the games. Accept your loss and keep trying.

All Disney games are better on the Genesis.

Thank you for the information.

1) are you sure it's a model 3? From what I've seen online http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...good-Genesis-1s-and-Genesis-2s-from-bad-ones&
it appears to be a model 2.

2) while I understand it's preferable to not use any codes, I was wondering if any Genesis games have a built-in save feature.

3) I'm glad to hear the Disney games are better on Genesis. I was specifically wondering beyond that whether they are completely different games than their snes counterpart or only aesthetically different.

images

Thank you for the information.

1) are you sure it's a model 3? From what I've seen online http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...good-Genesis-1s-and-Genesis-2s-from-bad-ones&
it appears to be a model 2.

2) while I understand it's preferable to not use any codes, I was wondering if any Genesis games have a built-in save feature.

3) I'm glad to hear the Disney games are better on Genesis. I was specifically wondering beyond that whether they are completely different games than their snes counterpart or only aesthetically different.

1) Actually, you're right. It just looks tiny from that angle. In that case, go RGB. Keep in mind, there are two different cables that look like SCART. The Micomsoft devices and some Japanese CRT monitors take JP-21. Everything from Europe and most other aftermarket devices are designed for SCART. They are incompatible and using the wrong cable can damage your equipment.

2) Many games feature battery backups. Most action games use a password system if anything.

3) Some of the games had different developers so they play differently but I think they mostly play the same. I tend to play the Genesis versions so I can't say how different they are.

4) In general, if a game is a more hectic action title, it will be better on the Genesis which had a much better processor. If the title heavily relies on weird graphics effects, it will probably be better on the SNES.

IrishNinja

my go-to's are ToeJam & Earl, Rolling Thunder 2, Strider, Moonwalker, The Haunting and a few others...still the GOAT system

RexNovis

Banned
Buy X-Men 2: Clone Wars. This game is legit one of my favorite games of all time and almost nobody has ever heard of it or played it. One of the best gaming soundtracks ever and a fantastic side scrolling beat em up.

If we're just counting games that aren't available on the VC, then Bubsy, Mazin Wars, The Lion King, and Battletoads were probably my favourites.

galvatron

Tiny Toon: Buster's Hidden Treasures - Really solid platformer with a unique divekick jump mechanic
Decapattack - great looking platformer
Tinhead - another great looking platformer.
Ristar - this one is amazing to look at, but a little too slow for me...lots of people love it, though
Combat Cars - think RC/ Championship Pro Am with more weapons
Alien 3 - really nice lloking exploration platformer with a bit wonky jump physics. Still really it's own game not contrained by the movie much.
Mega Turrican
Target Earth
Bio Hazard Battle
Atomic Robo Kid
Atomic Runner
Fatal Fury 2) - better combo system than any other version
Stargate
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Alisia Dragoon
Greendog
Dynamite Headdy
Sega 6-pak - 6 games in one cart)
Sonic Classics - bug fixed Sonic 2 included, in case you like finishing it as super sonic with no danger of freezes. Doesn't combine with S & K

Dambrosi

Banned
Hah, funny this thread should appear, since I bought a (region-modded, 50/60hz switchless) Megadrive just yesterday. It'll be my first MD ever. I'm looking forward to all your suggestions.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Hah, funny this thread should appear, since I bought a (region-modded, 50/60hz switchless) Megadrive just yesterday. It'll be my first MD ever. I'm looking forward to all your suggestions.
this was the year i got my Genesis, too. it got more attention than my PS4 by far.

NHL 94 is a gem with a 100 page manual and a devout fanbase, don't sleep on it! it's like $2

orborborb

the two best Genesis games are two arcade ports:

Sagaia (Darius II) and Ghouls 'n' Ghosts

but Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force, and Phantasy Star II are also good

and Streets of Rage, Sonic, Golden Axe, and Shinobi games ALMOST have enough style to compensate for their inherently dull gameplay

Mzo

Earthworm Jim, The Lion King, Mickey Mania, Pitfall: the Mayan Adventure, Out of This World, Flashback, all better on the Genesis. Also sans Lion King all available in enhanced form on Sega CD.

If the lead system was the Genesis the SNES version will look fat and stretched out.

There was only one Kunio-kun game on the Genesis and it was Soccer Bu. Can't win 'em all.

As many have mentioned, if you're a Disney fan you will absolutely love Quackshot. What a charming game.

I also have fond memories for the Castle of Illusion pseudo sequel World of Illusion.

@MUWANdo

Banned

IIRC, Aladdin is the only game that's completely different between systems--the MD version was by a team at Virgin that would later split off and do Earthworm Jim, whereas the SNES version was by Capcom. The MD version was animated in collaboration with Disney so it certainly looks nice and is true to the movie.

There are quite a few Disney games that are exclusive to each system: MD had Sega's Castle of Illusion, World of Illusion and Quackshot games whereas SNES had Capcom's Goof Troop game and a couple Mickey Magical Quest games, for example, but most of the big movie games were multi-platform (and generally better on MD).

I really like Ecco 2

Atilla Heger's soundtrack was just fantastic ... I miss Ecco :/

Some other favorites besides the Technosoft, Sega, Disney and Konami gems :

Pulseman
Magical Hat
Batman ( Sunsoft soundtrack <3)
Outrunners
Mega Bomberman
Toki/Juju
James Pond 2 and 3

and some more I am forgetting...

Top Bottom