• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your top 10 Capcom games?

From my childhood all the way up to before Resident Evil 6 came out Capcom were my favourite developer and now they've completely gone to shit (luckily From stepped in to take their place).

Anyways i've had a long history with them after being completely obsessed with most of their games on arcade especially Mercs, Street Fighter 1 and Street Fighter Hyper Fighting, then on console they had me completely hooked after the first Biohazard.

Anyways here is my list as best as I can put them in order of favourites:

1. Resident Evil Remake - Best Resident Evil to date.
2. Resident Evil 1 - I had an asian friend at school who told me about this game called Biohazard that was coming out that sounded too good to be true and he was going to Japan in a few weeks and told me he would grab me a copy, I was very skeptical but hey a free game is a free game. This ended up being a revolution for me in gaming because it was the first time I had played something that was proper horror and since then 3rd person horror games have been my favourite genre. Although I had to do the matchstick trick on my PAL playstation to get it to work for some reason the black and white visuals (downside to doing the matchstick trick) kinda heightened the campy b-grade horror feel that the game had.
3. Resident Evil 4 - One of the best action games ever.
4. Resident Evil 2 - After part 1 this was a godsend
5. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis - Brought the horror back into Resident Evil games.
6. Devil May Cry - When first reading about this game in previews I thought it sounded exactly like an awesome Manga which I could play!! It turned out to be exactly that and that first flaming spider boss had me hooked from there on.
7. Street Fighter Series - I can't really pinpoint which game I like the most (although 3rd Strike would probably be it) as I was obsessed with all of them and had regular challenges at numerous arcades (serious business) up until around the begining of the Alpha games, after that I mostly stuck to the console versions.
8. Okami - I love dogs/wolves and this was (to me) just a perfectly realised magical dog adventure.
9. Monster Hunter Series (mainly Tri) - One of my current favourite game series that is completely held back by the fact that they are only being made for Nintendo handhelds.
10. Ghouls & Ghosts - For almost a whole year during my childhood this was the only game I owned while I had a master system (i was only allowed a game on my birthday and christmas) and I played the shit out of it.

I know I am forgetting something as Capcom have so many awesome games but most of that list would be pretty accurate.

Takuan

No particular order

SF2 Turbo
SF3: Third Strike
Street Fighter EX
X-men vs SF
RE4
Megaman 2
DMC3
Rival Schools
Monster Hunter 4
Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes

Neonep

So many feels in this thread. Very hard to rank.
1. Devil May Cry 3
2. Devil May Cry
3. Devil May Cry 4
4. Mega Man Battle Network 3
5. Mega Man Battle Network 2
6. Street Fighter Alpha 3
7. Viewtiful Joe
8. Onimusha
9. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
10. Mega Man Battle Network 4

higemaru

idk I I'd be able to rank them but I should be able to list at least ten favorites

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
Demon's Crest
Resident Evil 2
Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes
Power Stone 2
Mercs
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
Sweet Home
Strider 2

10: Ulimate Marvel VS Capcom 3

9: MegaMan 2

8: Viewtiful Joe

7: Super Street Fighter 2

6: Resident Evil 4

5: Resident Evil 2

4: Monster Hunter 3 + 4 Ultimate (can't decide!!!)

3: Dragons Dogma

2: Resident Evil 1996

1: REmake

mrmickfran

Armored Warriors for arcade. Concept was like Cyborg Justice for Genesis, in that you could equip the robot appendages of your defeated foes as you go. If you had multiple players, they could combine into one giant mech (as seen in that pic).
It looks awesome. Was it ever ported?

10. Powerstone 2
9. Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
8. Mega Man Legends 2
7. Mickey's Magical Quest
6. Legend of Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons
5. Resident Evil 4
4. Mega Man X
3. Okami
2. Mega Man Legends
1. Mega Man 2

Gren

It looks awesome. Was it ever ported?

Unfortunately no. On the bright side, unlike AvP, D&D, Cadillacs, Punisher, etc, they own the rights to it. So a retro port one day wouldn't be *as* out of the question as it would with the others.

petghost

Banned
5. Ace attorney trials and tribulations
4. Vampire savior/darkstalkers 3
3. mega man 2
2. Super street fighter 2 turbo
1. Street fighter III 3rd strike

Fighting game centric but this is my list atm

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Street Fighter 2
Powerstone
Maximo
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Resident Evil 5
Final Fight
Captain Commando
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
The Punisher
Dead Rising 3

Banned
I haven't even played 10 Capcom games. That's sad isn't it?

DmC
Street Fighter II
Resident Evil

I want to play Okami and Viewtiful Joe.

1) Street Fighter 2: Turbo
2) Resident Evil
3) Resident Evil 2
4) Super Ghouls N' Ghosts
5) Devil May Cry
6) Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
7) MegaMan 2
8) Final Fight
9) Gun Smoke
10) Commando

NotEasy

1.Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
2.Monster Hunter 1
3.Megaman X4
4.Street Fighter 2
5.DMC3
6.Resident Evil Remake
7.Resident Evil 3
8.Dino Crisis 2
9.Marvel VS Capcom
10.Dragon Dogma

Love the MH serie,too bad i have no interest in buying a 3ds :(
and i need to play more Megaman games,i really like them but i have only played Megaman X4,X5 and X6 and some classic games(1 and 8).
Still haven't played RE2..

Dame

1. Onimusha: Dawn of dreams. Those different ways to critical made me addicted. If you play well enough, you make the game look like an art, and critical almost every enemy with finesse
2. Okami
3. Marvel vs capcom 3
4. DMC4
5. Super puzzle fighter 2 HD turbo

Monster hunter 4U and Dragon's Dogma are really really close ones.

In no particular order:

Project Justice
Devil May Cry 3 SE
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Breath of Fire 3
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
Mega Man Legends 2
Resident Evil 4
Power Stone
Mega Man X4
Okami

jiggle

1. Dragon's Dogma
2. Breath of Fire II
3. Destiny of an Emperor
4. Breath of Fire
5. Breath of Fire iv
6. Breath of Five iii

No order:

Resident Evil 4 (GC)
Resident Evil 2 (PSX)
Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations (DS)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (SAT)
Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike (PS2)
Mega Man 3 (NES)
Mega Man X (SNES)
Rival Schools (PSX)
God Hand (PS2)
Cadillac & Dinosaurs (ARC)

Producer

Megaman 7
Vampire Savior
God Hand
DMC3/4
Dragons Dogma
Monster Hunter P3rd / MH4U
Pheonix Wright Trials and Tribulations
SF3: 3rd Strike
Resident Evil 4
XvSF/ MvC2/ UMvC3

special shoutouts to Okami, Viewtiful Joe, Lost Planet 2, Megaman Legends 2, REmake, Ghost Trick, Forgotten Worlds, Strider 2, Super Turbo, TvC, various megaman X and Battle Network games. Capcom is one of the best devs of all time.

Oh no, I forgot about AvP arcade. Yeah, that's a top ten game for me. I thought the train level with unlimited ammo was so cool as a kid. Also, I love it now too.

Street Fighter II Turbo
Devil May Cry 3
Devil May Cry 4: SE
Street Fighter III: Third Strike
Project Justice/Rival Schools 2
Strider 2
Mega Man X
Final Fight 3
Capcom vs. SNK 2
Street Fighter EX2 Plus

1. Okami
2. Resident Evil 4
3. Resident Evil 2
4. Street Fighter IV
5. Dino Crisis 2
6. Marvel vs Capcom
7. Tatsunoko vs Capcom

The few others I played I cant remember well enough. I need to play more Capcom. I have yet to play a Megaman and neglected to figure out Breath of Fire III when I had the chance.

1. Viewtiful Joe
2. God Hand
3. Devil May Cry
4. Resident Evil 4
5. Ghouls 'n Ghosts
6. Alien vs. Predator
7. Mega Man 9
8. Mega Man Zero 2
9. Battle Circuit
10. Ghosts 'n Goblins

Capcom definitely has the best lineup out of any game developer.

Mubbed

The list would essentially comprise of Capcom Production Studio 4 titles with Mega Man 9, Mega Man Zero and God Hand to round out the list.

KC-Slater

X-Men Vs Street Fighter (Saturn)
Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter (Saturn)
Alien Vs. Predator (CPS2)
X-Men: Children Of The Atom (CPS2)
Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara (CPS2)
The Punisher (CPS2)
Mighty Final Fight (NES)
Mega Man II (NES)
Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers (NES)
Marvel Super Heroes (CPS2)

Kssio_Aug

1) Devil May Cry 3
2) Mega Man X
3) Mega Man X2
4) Okami
5) Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
6) Mega Man X5
7) Devil May Cry 4
8) Dead Rising 3
9) Resident Evil 5

1. Street Fighter Zero 2
2. Marvel Super Heroes
3. Resident Evil 4
4. Resident Evil 2
5. Devil May Cry 1
6. Devil May Cry 3
7. Dead Rising 1
8. Megaman X4
9. Street Fighter 3 Third Strike
10. Capcom Vs Snk 2

1. 2nd Impact & 3rd Strike
  2. Lost Planet 1&2
  3. MVC2
  4. CVS2
  5. Super Turbo
  6. Alpha 3
  7. Power Stone
  8. Vampire Saviour
  9. Project Justice
  10. Mickey Mouse and the Great Circus Mystery Breath of Fire IV

Shoutouts to Ghost Trick and Magical Quest.

random25

It would be a dominating list of Megaman games for me lol. I guess I'll just choose one from each series so it will be more varied:

1. Megaman X3
2. Megaman 2
3. Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
4. Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers
5. Ghost Trick
6. Megaman Legends
7. Breath of Fire 3
8. Resident Evil 2
9. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
10. Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo

I still ended up with 3 MM games lol. A lot of Capcom games are really good so I feel like top 10 is hard to do.

The Hermit

Capcom is probably my top 3 developer.
I can't possibly just choose 10 games from them, every list reminds me of a game I have deep memories.

And even when they are a far cry from old days, they still pull some amazing games.

1. Resident Evil (REmake)
2. Resident Evil 5
3. Dead Rising
4. Street Fighter IV
5. Resident Evil 4
6. Dino Crisis
7. Resident Evil - Code: Veronica
8. Street Fighter II
9. Resident Evil Outbreak
10. Resident Evil: Dead Aim

1. Mega Man X
2. Mega Man Legends 2
3. Mega Man X4
4. Mega Man 8
5. DuckTales
6. Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse
7. Bionic Commando
8. Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
this counts, right?
9. Devil May Cry
10. Demon's Crest

Nekorin

Neo Member
1) Ultra Street Fighter 4
2) Marvel vs Capcom 2
3) Marvel vs Capcom 3
4) Monster Hunter Freedom
5) Marvel Super Heroes
6) Street Fighter 2
7) Devil May Cry 3
8) Devil May Cry 4
9) Capcom vs SNK 2
10) Megaman X

Hmm most of my list are fighting games...

zulux21

some combination of megaman x 1-4
the ace attorney series
and ghost trick.

don't care enough to figure it out from there lol.

mrmickfran

1. Mega Man X
2. Mega Man Legends 2
3. Mega Man X4
4. Mega Man 8
5. DuckTales
6. Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse
7. Bionic Commando
8. Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
this counts, right?
9. Devil May Cry
10. Demon's Crest
Minish Cap counts. It's Capcom developed.

Comandr

In no particular order

Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 4
Megaman X
Megaman 7
Dragon's Dogma
Okami
Ace Attorney
Street Fighter 2
Breath of Fire 3
Monster Hunter 4U

cuilan

Going to limit my list to games both published and internally developed by Capcom, in no order:

Vampire Savior
Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
Mega Man X4
Dungeons & Dragons Shadow over Mystara
Mega Man and Bass
Breath of Fire 2
Capcom vs SNK Millennium Fight 2000
Alien vs Predator
Resident Evil Revelations
Armored Warriors

IbukiLordSA

Probably these:

Onimusha Dawn of Dream
Resident Evil 2
Viewtiful Joe
Dragons Dogma
Devil May Cry 3
Dino Crisis
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
Street Fighter 2
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Capcom VS SNK 2

Kindekuma

Banned
Monster Hunter
Monster Hunter Freedom
Monster Hunter Freedom 2
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Monster Hunter Tri
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Monster Hunter Portable Third
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Monster Hunter X
Okami.

Don't remember my exact list from the last favorite Capcom games thread, but here's my current one:

1. Viewtiful Joe
2. Okami
3. Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
4. Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition
5. Ghost Trick
6. Street Fighter III: Third Strike
7. Resident Evil 4
8. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
9. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (or 3)
10. Darkstalkers 3 / Vampire Savior

Even if they've been kind of strange over the past two gens, I really love Capcom. I have very fond memories of all of these games and they have one of my favorite libraries out there. Their fighting games and action games especially are just excellent. Then when you consider Shu Takumi's stuff and MonHun it just gets even better.

Since I can't be arsed to do a full list with descriptions and reasons, and I don't want to just dump a list without, I'll just pimp a single game. Gargoyle's Quest for the original Gameboy is ace. Just looking at some screenshots may not show why it's not just any 2D platformer. It is one with:
  • a moveset that transforms your usual means of traversal. Since you're a gargoyle, your thing is sticking to walls. You can pretty much do this indefinitely on a smooth vertical surface. Think Mega Man X's wall climb, except you're not sliding down. You also have wings, allowing you to hover for a certain amount of time. These two combined really change levels can flow in platformers. Many of the stages can snake into any of the cardinal directions, and things like floors become optional.
  • cool upgrades that not only make you more powerful, but also complement your ability to traverse the world. See walls covered in spikes? No problem is you can barf over the spikes with goop, making them safe to touch!
  • a classic top-down RPG overworld. You go visit towns with characters to talk to and shops and all that good stuff. Everything is also themed around monsters, btw, which surprisingly not many actual RPGs use.
  • random encounters. Hold up! scroll away to the next post yet. It's not as bad as it sounds. By random encounters I mean Link's Adventure-style. Ones which boot you into a small arena with platforming and/or combat challenges. It doesn't always work well, but it was a cute idea to tie the light RPG mechanics and world to the platforming.

Gargoyle's Quest 2 for the NES and Demon's Crest (Gargoyle's Quest 3) for the SNES are also both excellent, and I consider them to be Capcom's most consistently good series. Three games and not a single dud is pretty impressive. They usually slip sooner or later once a series reaches three entries, but not here. Three games, all three are pretty different, and all worth playing.

Fully agree, Gargoyle's quest is also my favorite Capcom game. It is a pity that the gameboy version of GQ2 was never localized for the West.

XanaviF30

The is in no particular order. My top 10:

X-men Children of the Atom
Marvel Super Heroes
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter 3rd Strike
Capcom vs. SNK
Vampire Hunter/Night Warriors
X-men vs. Street Fighter
Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
Marvel vs. Capcom 2

There's an unfortunate lack of variety in Capcom titles I've experienced, with some of the outliars being too far in the past for me to name them in good faith.

1. Resident Evil REmake (GCU) - This is perhaps my GOAT. The pacing, atmosphere, presentation, and handling of the lore are sublime. It's a real shame that they went in the complete opposite direction for the sequels, even if there are some notable gameplay mechanics there that otherwise would never have been done.

2. Resident Evil 4 - Corny and the pacing takes a few dips, but the whole game is a pretty wild ride for both a shooter and a horror themed title. Everything in that game was clearly designed with everything else in it in mind. The last RE game IMO to offer fantastic post-content and replays. The village has yet to be topped in gameplay moments/segments.

3. Resident Evil 2 - Duel protagonists. Alternative stories beyond the simple changes from the original. Some of the best enemy sets in the classic titles. The game felt like Die Hard meets Dawn of the Dead, and it was incredible.

4. Dino Crisis 2 - This game was the modern Resident Evils done right well before they existed. Moving and shooting, awesome set pieces that don't overstay their welcome. A far left field ending that still had a natural build up (why is there no proper ending to this!?). Likeable characters. A huge swath of new dino enemies. The post game stuff was pretty weak in comparison to its predecessors and sister series, but the journey to the end makes up for it.

5. Dino Crisis - If it weren't for the lack of variety in enemies and environments, Dino Crisis could have been a hallmark in intelligent game design. Dinosaurs that will stalk you when you're bleeding (status effects that matter beyond hit points). The 'Danger' mechanic that was a precursor to the QTEs in later REs. The use of non-lethal, temporary takedowns via tranquilizers against incredibly hardy enemies. Set pieces that show off the scale of your foes and give the game its 'survival panic' tag. Even multiple endings that give different boss fights to encourage replays among the other usual Mikami-fare.

6. Dead Rising - A well done timed game with near absolute freedom to use whatever against hordes of zombies (something never really accomplished before afaik). Good character dynamics and interesting psychotic boss element, though the latter weren't balanced well to the player controls and available tools without cheesing in some cases.

7. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis - The last 'sane' title in the series brought the interesting Nemesis mechanic and a dodge system. It was a well done expansion on the happenings in Raccoon City and the first physical look into the interrelationships within Umbrella's personnel.

Everything else I've played I can't consider top of anything, either from less than stellar opinions or a lack of experience/recollection of them. Hope that I really like Dragons Dogma when I get around to it.

Lotto

1 Megaman X
2 Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
3 Killer 7
4 Street Fighter 2 Turbo
5 Phoenix Wright Trials and Tribulations
6 Resident Evil
7 Resident Evil 4
8 Legend of Zelda Minish Cap
9 Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
10 Ghost Trick

Capcom has great franchises, all of these are pretty much interchangeable.

1. Alien vs. Predator
2. Final Fight 3
3. Battle Circuit
4. Cannon Spike
5. Capcom vs. SNK 2
6. Cyberbots
7. Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
8. The Punisher
9. Armored Warriors
10. Red Earth

Yeah, I'm partial to their beat'em ups and fighting games. Wish they'd get all of those out on modern platforms.

Top Bottom