• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Are Your Top Five Greatest NBA Franchises?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, so I've noticed that this question has been interesting to me as a big NBA basketball fan. So who ya got? And yes, be sure to give reasons as to why you chose the team to be ranked as such. I've got the following.

5. San Antonio Spurs
Truth to be told, I think the Spurs lack in some respects. For one, they've never really had players that fundamentally changed the game, and they've never had a Michael Jordan or a player of similar note. But man, in terms of sheer success, they are one of the most impressive franchises around. They just have an insane number of wins and championships to their name, and they are definitely one of the most successful teams. Not many teams overall are in the same league. And they do have Tim Duncan, after all.

4. Philadelphia 76ers
This is one of those teams that I put in the top five that doesn't really have to do with their long list of championships, but their prestige. The players they had, and the success they had overall has long impressed me. Having some of the best teams and having legends like Doc J and Moses Malone. While they don't have the wins, they've got the history.

3. Chicago Bulls
Michael Jordan. The end.

Seriously though, this is one of those franchises in which their entire legacy rests on just one era. And that era was so good the Bulls will be a number 3 lock...maybe forever (though they could pass the first two someday!). Sure, they haven't been all that relevant outside of the 90's, even though their fortunes are turning and they are now a good team. But really, when you dominant a league when it was arguably at it's peak, it's one big advantage you have for greatness. But really, it's the fact that they had Michael Jordan (my pick for the greatest player) and Phil Jackson (the best coach in NBA history), the greatest single team in the entire history of the NBA (72-10), the titles and scores, and a supporting cast that includes Scottie Pippin and Dennis Rodman, and it's easy to see why I put them as three. They were just that good.

2. Los Angeles Lakers
Full disclosure. I am a huge Lakers fan and they are my all time favorite sports team...in anything, so I'm pretty biased towards them. But even the biggest Laker hater would put them in the top five, for a good reason. Their collection of players, awards, all time records, titles, and winning seasons makes them one of the best franchises, and not just in Basketball. Coupled with the prestige and the quality of their players, coaches, and titles, it's not just a mere collection of statistics and players. It's easy to see why they are a top three lock.

1. Boston Celtics
Yes, as a Lakers fan, I can't stand The Celtics personally (especially the Celtics team that came into prominence in the late 00's). But I have to give them credit. They are simply one of the greatest franchises in sport, period. Even if I hate them, I have to give them my dues; they are damn good.

For me though, why I gave them the edge over the Lakers (though it's hard) at times is in the 60's. Many of their greatest players did not just merely win, but helped change and shape the game's fundamentals. Of course, there is also Red Auerbach, who in my opinion is the greatest coach in NBA history (and possibly in Basketball). Simply put, I believe he changed the game in numerous ways, breaking down racial barriers while at the same time pioneering the game's fundamentals. I'm still not entirely sure what they have done since I don't have the long term experience with NBA as some other people here, but I just can't miss that notion.

Of course, the 80's were no slouch either, and that decade too was full of prestige and greatness. When I consider their prestige and influence on the game, and their championships, Hall of Famers, and impressive seasons, I think they edge the Lakers. For me, I just have to put them at number one.

Sorry if my descriptions kind of suck, but that's the rational I was able to come up with so far. So yeah, the rest of Gaf?

Washington bullets
Minneapolis lakers
Utah jazz
Pelicans
Seattle supersonics

Seriously tho, I like your list. I don't think the sixers belong but not sure who I'd place there.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
2 teams have won a vast majority of titles in the history of the NBA. There's not going to be much variance.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Lakers - no brainer
Celtics - same as above
Bulls - cause Jordan
Pistons - BAAAAAD BOYS the original legend killers
Spurs - because they get it done .

Aww yeah that Sixers prestige

Voila_Capture-2014-11-20_03-20-45_PM.jpg

1. Raptors they have been horrible for 20 years and will continue to be horrible for 20 more!
2. Toronto Huskies

Ah I am going backwards this is the top30 and 31st teams

Statistically Lakers and Celtics have half of the NBA championships so it doesn't even feel like a top 5 exists. There's Lakers and Celtics, and then there's everyone else.

Abounder

Banned
I don't really care about a team's ancient history like when they were representing a different city, or when they dominated before the ABA merger. That said, I still have both the Lakers and Celtics in the top 5...Bird/Magic is a once-in-a-lifetime rivalry, and Shaq/Kobe/KG are all legends as well.

1. Lakers
2. Celtics
3. Spurs
4. Bulls
5. Pistons - Bad Boys, EC dominance in the 00's

Very nice list OP. Spot on I'd say.

Thank you for recognizing the Sixers. People making fun of them now don't realize that they have the third most wins in the history of the NBA. And like you said, all of those great teams and players.

plus the Lakers and Knicks are bigger jokes right now

genjiZERO

OP I think you ended your thread. Yeah I'd say that's a pretty good list. I'm hesitant to go with the 76ers since it's been a long while that they've amounted to anything, but they had some great talent back in the day.

1. Vancouver Grizzlies
2. Vancouver Grizzlies
3. Vancouver Grizzlies
4. Vancouver Grizzlies
5. Vancouver Grizzlies

I will never forgive you, NBA!

Lkr

Celtics would be #1 if they had won more than one title in the past 25 years or however long it is

DarkFlow

Banned
The Sixers should be automatically disqualified simple for the fact they have been actively tanking for years, and it's still not helping them.

KingGondo

Banned
For one, [the Spurs have] never really had players that fundamentally changed the game, and they've never had a Michael Jordan or a player of similar note.
Wow. All credibility lost from the jump.

I stopped reading there.

For me:
1. Lakers
2. Czzzzzz
3. Spurs
4. Bulls
... who cares

Darkflow said:
The Sixers should be automatically disqualified simple for the fact they have been actively tanking for years, and it's still not helping them.
Give it a couple of years. It takes time for young guys to develop and they have a chance to run the East for years with guys like Noel, Embiid, MCW and whoever they draft this year.

Chichikov

Can't really argue with the Celtics or Lakers (hate them both, but gotta admit the truth here).
Have some issues with the other picks -
I think the Spurs lack in some respects. For one, they've never really had players that fundamentally changed the game, and they've never had a Michael Jordan or a player of similar note.
George Gervin changed the game, and no player of note?
Duncan is a lock of all locks for top 10 players of all time and easily the best power forward in history.
Is he Jordan?
Of course no, no one is.

As for the sixers, you're talking about one really nice team that won a single championship and was only good for a few years, other than that, they had decent teams here and there, but one of the all time greatest? don't see it.

The Bulls is a tough one, they had one of the greatest dynasties of all time, arguably the greatest team of all time and the greatest player of all time. They were also a sorry sorry organization for a long ass time, I guess it depends on how you define greatness.

LOL@ 90 points. The Suns used to give free Jack in the Box Tacos to everyone with a ticket if they scored 100 points. They gave away a lot of tacos.
The promotion actually started off as 50% off the day after each victory, but it changed after losing game after game (seventeen straight) to start the season.

Celtics/Lakers/Bulls top three

1. They haven't been actively tanking for years. They've been rebuilding since the Bynum trade didn't work out and that was only 2 seasons ago.

2. It takes a lot longer than one season to rebuild a team. Just ask chicagocubsfan over here.

5. Heat - 21st Century Success
4. Spurs- More 21st Century Success
3. Lakers- General Overall Success
2. Celtics- Overall Success while having one of the longest dynasties
1. Hornets- Because they're awesome

genjiZERO

Can't really argue with the Celtics or Lakers (hate them both, but gotta admit the truth here).
Have some issues with the other picks -

George Gervin changed the game, and no player of note?
Duncan is a lock of all locks for top 10 players of all time and easily the best power forward in history.
Is he Jordan?
Of course no, no one is.

As for the sixers, you're talking about one really nice team that won a single championship and was only good for a few years, other than that, they had decent teams here and there, but one of the all time greatest? don't see it.

The Bulls is a tough one, they had one of the greatest dynasties of all time, arguably the greatest team of all time and the greatest player of all time. They were also a sorry sorry organization for a long ass time, I guess it depends on how you define greatness.

C'mon they were the defining franchise of a generation, and in a era that many people consider to be the height of the game.

RELAYER

Banned
Grizzles b/c that instant tattoo I got out of the machine at pizza hut when I was 9
Thunder b/c they're the real MVP
Hawks because they are undefeated
Raptors because Canada is progressive

DarkFlow

Banned
1. They haven't been actively tanking for years. They've been rebuilding since the Bynum trade didn't work out and that was only 2 seasons ago.

2. It takes a lot longer than one season to rebuild a team. Just ask chicagocubsfan over here.

They've been shit a lot longer then 2 season.

Let's start out with Div, the last time they won that was 2000-01.

The last time they did better then .500 in a non lockout season was 2004-05 and even then it was 43-39. They only reason they even have some playoff games is the East is total shit, and even being under .500 can get you in.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Meh, I feel like the field of franchises under the Lakers and Celtics wouldn't be there had the RNG gods made it so and get them a legend or two. Those two teams have attracted and/or developed so so many legends.

nasax

1. Celtics
2. Lakers

Those are easy.

3. Spurs - Have missed the playoffs 4 times since joining the NBA back in '77. Wins/losses in the NBA (not counting ABA), they're .614 (best in the NBA) compared to the Lakers franchise who are .611 and Celtics who are .588 which is incredible since we know those early records to be inflated as shit.

4. Bulls

5. who cares

They've been shit a lot longer then 2 season.

Let's start out with Div, the last time they won that was 2000-01.

The last time they did better then .500 in a non lockout season was 2004-05 and even then it was 43-39. They only reason they even have some playoff games is the East is total shit, and even being under .500 can get you in.

But thats exactly why they're rebuilding. If they weren't doing that they'd still be a mediocre team that hovers around the 7-9 seed like they had for the last decade. You can't disqualify them for trying to get good.

And you can't discount their past success. They've had some of the most legendary players and teams the NBA has ever had.

There's a clear top 4--Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, and Spurs. They're the top 4 in championships and have had at least one extended period of dominance. The fifth spot is the hard one. There's four teams tied for fifth in championships, the 76ers, Pistons, Warriors, and Heat. The Heat have had the most success in the shortest amount of time. Naming a franchise that's less than 20 years old seems wrong to me though. My instinct is to say Pistons because they had a run of dominance and they have a history.

entremet

It's really the Lakers and Celtics. They made the modern NBA. Being in big markets also helped.

The Bulls were great, but that was more an MJ show honestly. He was that impactful. He's a franchise in and of himself.

Chichikov

C'mon they were the defining franchise of a generation, and in a era that many people consider to be the height of the game.
I didn't mean that they don't deserve to be in the top five, but that it's to decide where they fall exactly. I guess it comes down to whether you put more weight on peak or sustained excellence.
Though upon further reflection, I can't see them higher than 3 or lower than 4, so maybe it's not that difficult.

DarkFlow

Banned
Pistons are easily top 5. During there run, they took down Larry Legend, Showtime Lakers, and made MJ into the player he became. MJ has gone on record saying without the Pistons beating the crap out of him in the playoffs, he wouldn't have worked harder to get better.

Lakers and Celtics 1a and1b interchangeable in terms of being legendary. Duncan and Pop created something awesome in the spurs and have made that team a contender for almost two decades so they are a franchise that will be talked about for days to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom