• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Are Your Top Five Greatest NBA Franchises?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call me a homer but i'll make the case for the Lakers to be number 1. They may be one title behind Boston but have had a far more consistent and sustained success. They have been to 31 NBA Finals. They have been in the Finals at least once in every decade since the 1940s and have won a championship in five different decades.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Fuck the Celtics.

And I will live to see the day when we inevitably pass this fuck nut franchise in rings. Mark my god damn words.

Laker best 5 ever vs Celtics best 5 ever in an NBA finals. Lakers take that shit in 5. Celtics get 1 'cause Larry Legend is bad like that. Can't even hate. Still, fuck 'em. All of 'em.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Washington bullets
Minneapolis lakers
Utah jazz
Pelicans
Seattle supersonics

Seriously tho, I like your list. I don't think the sixers belong but not sure who I'd place there.

I'm not the most versed person in sports, especially basketball, but the fuck?

Maddocks

Fuck the Celtics.

And I will live to see the day when we inevitably pass this fuck nut franchise in rings. Mark my god damn words.

Laker best 5 ever vs Celtics best 5 ever in an NBA finals. Lakers take that shit in 5. Celtics get 1 'cause Larry Legend is bad like that. Can't even hate. Still, fuck 'em. All of 'em.

wa6pF5t.jpg

Any Laker fan that puts the celts above the Lakers, should not be called a Lakers fan.

Sanjuro

Call me a homer but i'll make the case for the Lakers to be number 1. They may be one title behind Boston but have had a far more consistent and sustained success. They have been to 31 NBA Finals. They have been in the Finals at least once in every decade since the 1940s and have won a championship in five different decades.

Fuck the Celtics.

9dFgcSd.jpg

DarkFlow

Banned
Fuck the Celtics.

Bill Russell would clown all over the Lakers. Then add in Larry Legend, Parish, McHale, And Cousy. Plus Red as the coach, please.

E-DuB

OP's list is pretty spot on.

My list has

Celtics
Lakers
Bulls
Spurs
Pistons/Knicks -- This last spot is pretty interchangeable for me.

RBK

Banned
Bill Russell would clown all over the Lakers. Then add in Larry Legend, Parish, McHale, And Cousy. Plus Red as the coach, please.

Shaq>Russell

Add in Magic, Kobe, Abdul-Jabaar, Jerry West, Wilt. We all know the Zen Master too.

Chichikov

Bill Russell was 6' 9".
Any elite modern center (and the Lakers got a few) would clown the shit out of him.

Not to hate on Russell, it was a different era, but let's get real here.

Sanjuro

Bill Russell was 6' 9".
Any elite modern center (and the Lakers got a few) would clown the shit out of him.

Not to hate on Russell, it was a different era, but let's get real here.

Yet here you are putting them toe to toe.

Also, I forgot the Bulls in my list. Sorry, Knicks!

I agree with you on this one haha. I hate both the lakers and the celtics but there's no denying that the celtics are number 1. Their championship run with Bill Russell is just mind boggling. Gotta give credit where credit's due.

I'm no Cali kid but Lakers are the most storied in the NBA. Greatest franchise for sure, can't hate. C's next. Next tier are the Bulls and Spurs. Probably Pistons to round out top 5, but the first four are definitely set.

Sixers and Rockets could make a case for 5th spot I suppose. Miami has climbed that list but dust hasn't settled enough for me there, too recent.

genjiZERO

I didn't mean that they don't deserve to be in the top five, but that it's to decide where they fall exactly. I guess it comes down to whether you put more weight on peak or sustained excellence.
Though upon further reflection, I can't see them higher than 3 or lower than 4, so maybe it's not that difficult.

Oh, cool. I agree with you. Certainly Boston and LA for the top spots. I'd say Chicago and SA for the net two. Arguments in favor of Chicago are self evident, but arguments against are that they were only ever on an ultra competitive level for that sole generation. San Antonio, on the other hand, while not acutely successful have been a consistent powerhouse for the last 20 years.

Kite

List of teams with the most rings:

Boston Celtics - 17
LA Lakers - 16
Chicago Bulls - 6
San Antonio Spurs - 5
Philadelphia 76ers - 3
Detroit Pistons - 3
Golden State Warriors - 3
Miami Heat - 3
NY Knicks - 2
Houston Rockets - 2

Rest don't matter :p

Sanjuro

Boston Celtics - 17
LA Lakers - 16
Chicago Bulls - 6
San Antonio Spurs - 5
Philadelphia 76ers - 3
Detroit Pistons - 3
Miami Heat - 3
NY Knicks - 2
Houston Rockets - 2

The Lakers have 15 NBA Championships. 11 of them in Los Angeles.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I think lebron James is the best franchise in NBA history, he's the best at dunking and mental toughness.

Bulls, Lakers, Celtics then everyone else. Bulls really expanded the game.

Hopefully the Warriors become the new NBA dynasty. Especially if we sign KD as well.

Boston Celtics - 17
LA Lakers - 16
Chicago Bulls - 6
San Antonio Spurs - 5
Philadelphia 76ers - 3
Detroit Pistons - 3
Miami Heat - 3
NY Knicks - 2
Houston Rockets - 2

By this logic, GSW have a chance of becoming top five all-time after this season.

I'm okay with this.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Wait, people up in here really putting the Knicks in their top 5?!

asdsoauxq.gif

You can't be top 5 with only 2 chips and a equator long list of pure, unadulterated, uncut, 100% pure fuckery.

Prime Russel ain't got nothin' for a prime Shaq. Stop.

And oh boy would I pay good money to watch Bob (I would personally put in Johnson over him) and Sam Jones try and stop prime Ocho and Magic in the back court. LOL

Only Larry Legend would eat on that squad. Maybe Maxwell too if you slide Bird to the 4 and let Cedric play his natural position. *shrugs*

Chichikov

Yet here you are putting them toe to toe.
I'm not doubting Russell's accomplishments, but I certainly don't put him toe-to-toe with modern centers as far as playing abilities in the modern game.

Anyway, I think that if you go best opening five, the Lakers got it really easily -

Magic, Kobe, Worthy, Shaq* and whoever you want to put at PF kills any team some other franchise can field.

* I rank Jabbar ahead of Shaq overall, but we're doing one game here, and Shaq had a higher peak.
Oh, cool. I agree with you. Certainly Boston and LA for the top spots. I'd say Chicago and SA for the net two. Arguments in favor of Chicago are self evident, but arguments against are that they were only ever on an ultra competitive level for that sole generation. San Antonio, on the other hand, while not acutely successful have been a consistent powerhouse for the last 20 years.
I'm pretty much on the same page with you.
And while I definitely like those Spurs team more than Jordan's bulls, I think a gun to my head I'll actually pick the Bulls overall.

theWB27

Lakers can only use players they didn't pilfer from other teams. So that means no Wilt, Kareem, Wilkes, or Shaq.

Nice way of admitting defeat. "Hey, we can beat you but only if we restrict you to favor us more. Sound fair? Cool, thanks."

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Why the fuck would you put Russell on Shaq? Leave him on Wilt and put Travis Knight on Shaq.
Russell, Knight, Mchale, Parish, Jesus Christ, Zeus... does it really matter? Travis Knight isn't going to stop prime Shaq in the end.

It's like arguing over who can take a wrecking ball to the chest better. In the end, you're still gonna get rekt...

Nice way of admitting defeat. "Hey, we can beat you but only if we restrict you to favor us more. Sound fair? Cool, thanks."
There's always going to be stipulations in these kind of debates. The Lakers are just too fucking deep.

We got the fucking logo, dudes who can drop 81, dudes who can drop 100, seven footers that can score at sheer will, a player that can play any position effectively, BB-IQ off the charts from nearly every position, amazing athleticism, and tenacious competitive spirit.

At some point you look at that shit and go "Ok, look, this ain't right. We need some equity up in this motherfucker".
lmao haven't seen this in a while
I love it every time I see it too. It was made post game 7 when the Lakers handled the Celtics in a rematch. Kobe Bryant leading all scorers, including most points in the 4'th quarter, as well as the second most rebounds in the game. Ron Ron with the clutchest of 3's and Vujacic icing the game with freethrows.

Good times.

I don't really have a top 5 I do have a top 3.

3. New Jersey Nets for employing one of the GOAT
Scalabrine.jpg

2. Boston Celtics
th

1. Chicago Bulls Cause Jordan, nope
9412248.jpg

DJwest

Bulls - no explanation needed.
Lakers - no explanation needed.
Kings - loved them during the C-Webb era. And I was a huge fan of Bobby Jackson.
Spurs - my current favorite team. I will cry when Tim retires.
Magic-Rockets - T-Mac was my favorite NBA player in the 2000's era so I rooted for his teams

Nyx

1. Milwaukee Bucks

il_340x270.595134823_7bab.jpg

I waited 8 weeks for this back in the 90s, still have it, always will have a soft spot for the Bucks.

2. Phoenix Suns

Also a purple jersey and Charles Barkley played there when I followed the NBA intensively. Barkley was the man for me.

3. Philadelphia 76ers

It's the 76ers, what else is there to say?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Washington bullets
Minneapolis lakers
Utah jazz
Pelicans
Seattle supersonics

Seriously tho, I like your list. I don't think the sixers belong but not sure who I'd place there.

You do realize that almost half of the lakers' championships were won in Minneapolis, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom