• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What can I use to hook up my ipod to my car stereo system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the easiest way/best product to get to hook up an ipod so that I can play it through my car's speakers? And where would I get this?

Thanks.

Doth Togo

Certain high end car stereos have a line in/out from the head unit or in their trunk.... BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar. Most cars, however, do not have this plug. Thus, you'll either have to buy a FM broadcaster for your iPod or change your head unit to an aftermarket deck. Kenwood...Nakamichi...

Hrm, there's no more simple way to do it than this? What about those things that attach to a tape so you can play it through your tape deck? And what exactly is an FM broadcaster?

If my car does have the plugs in the back of the trunk, I wouldn't be able to control the music that's playing, would I?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
If you have a tape deck then yeah, it's simple... they're like 5 to 10 dollars

Get a car adapter cassette tape, plug the line in wire to the headphone jack on the iPod, voila!

An FM transmitter, like iTrip, is exactly what it sounds like: it attaches to your iPod and lets you transmit to certain frequencies (depending on the model) so that you can tune into, say, 88.3 and listen to your iPod.

bionic77

Itrip is by far the easiest to use, but if you live in a city prepare to spend at least an hour finding a station that works. It took me about 3 days of scanning and it was not a station that was listed at any website or one that would seem like a good candidate, but now it works perfectly 99% of the time, the other 1% I get some static. If you want, I think some people will do a mod of your deck so that you will have a line in, I have thought of doing this myself. Also, if you have a BMW made after 2002 BMW has a special Ipod cable they can give you hooks you up through the glove compartment and where you can control the Ipod (limited controls) from the steering wheel. However, people who bought their BMWs before 2002 are SOL. :(

bionic77

Cerebral Palsy said:
Buy a BMW.

That only works if you buy one after 2002. I bought a 325xi from 2001 so I am SOL. :(

I think there is some line in crap in my trunk though, which is obviously pretty useless.

Edit: Ipod aside, that is damn good advice. Driving my car is one of the best parts of my day. Ultimate Driving Machine indeed. :D

Mason

Just buy a CD or cassette stereo with a line-in jack. If you never plan on using CDs again, just get a cheap cassette player with one and use the line-in jack.

bionic77

Mason said:
Just buy a CD or cassette stereo with a line-in jack. If you never plan on using CDs again, just get a cheap cassette player with one and use the line-in jack.

The problem is that they usually look terrible in your car. It seems all the decks are made for kids who want to rice out their cars and they don't make anything that would look good in a normal car.

Phoenix

ICE Link

This is basically what BMW did, just without the cradle. No other solution (crap ass FM tuners or scratchy tape players) even come close. You will have complete control over your iPod from your current head unit.

Mason

bionic77 said:
The problem is that they usually look terrible in your car. It seems all the decks are made for kids who want to rice out their cars and they don't make anything that would look good in a normal car.

Eh, I guess that's sort of a personal preference thing. I think the stock stereos that come in cars are really boring-looking.

Also, I just checked really fast and it seems like the cassette units are about the same price as CD one, so you might as well just get a CD player.

h055CDCX504.jpeg

$139.99, also plays MP3 CDs, www.crutchfield.com

Well I got the itrip but apparently I got the wrong size (I didn't see that the box said 3 GB ipod w/ dock)... And then when I hooked my ipod up to the computer and installed the iTrip stuff it asked me whether I use iTunes or MusicMatch... I said iTunes, but I actually use EphPod.. It ended up deleted all my songs and playlists off my iPod and installed that playlist of frequencies or whatever. I figure I'll use iTunes from now on :( Is there an iTrip compatible with a 2nd generation 10 GB ipod? It's the kind without a dock, I believe slightly smaller than the original, but not with those circle buttons at the top...

Thanks.

That's nice and all Obi, but I'm more concerned about getting something tomorrow morning... So like I said, does anyone know if iTrip exists for a 2nd generation 10 GB ipod (without a dock or those circular butons at the top).

Bruce Vilanch said:
That's nice and all Obi, but I'm more concerned about getting something tomorrow morning... So like I said, does anyone know if iTrip exists for a 2nd generation 10 GB ipod (without a dock or those circular butons at the top).

Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread. I was just replying to your first post. I don't beleive an iTrip for the 2G iPod exists. I think you're stuck with a mini-jack to cassette converter.

Bruce Vilanch said:
does anyone know if iTrip exists for a 2nd generation 10 GB ipod (without a dock or those circular butons at the top).

That's exactly the iPod that I have. A friend of mine has the original iTrip for his 1st gen iPod and it of course worked with my 2nd. I just had to push the firewire cover out of the way.

However, my milage while borrowing his iTrip was terrible. I was told, by the friend, that I most likely had too many radio towers too close, because I could never find a solid band to set the iTrip to. I always had static and I always had radio programs cutting in. If you've got some driving to do that you can expect to do some quick fiddling on the road whenever you drive past more populated areas.

I don't reccomend the iTrip. The cassete adaptors work great until the cord flakes out three months later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom