• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What details do you want R* to focus on (or you’d like to see) in the next GTA?

FYI, this article was released back in April 2018. At the moment, GTA V sold almost 120 million copies.

So to answer OP's question, I'd say let them do whatever they see fit. In Rockstar Games, we trust!

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Being out of touch with reality: The Thread

GTA V is the most profitable entertainment product ever released and you know why? Because it's great. You guys can have your opinions about Rockstar Games' games, but there is a reason why they sell like hotcakes and receive critical and industry acclaim.

I see a bunch of fans offering interesting - good ideas. You can sell like hotcakes, and receive criticism at the same time.

I really respect the many things that V accomplished, particularly a city that ambitious and realistic, but there are areas I found it wanting in, compared to the past, and compared to peers.

I see a bunch of fans offering interesting - good ideas. You can sell like hotcakes, and receive criticism at the same time.

I really respect the many things that V accomplished, particularly a city that ambitious and realistic, but there are areas I found it wanting in, compared to the past, and compared to peers.
I agree 100%. It's not a perfect franchise and they sacrificed a bit of the fun factor for the sake of realism, but it seems the majority of gamers want GTA to follow that direction of realism. As much as I love the PS2 GTAs, going back to those gameplay wise would be a misguided step back. I would say GTA VI should have the same spirit of fun while pushing the envelope of sandbox realism.

LordPezix

It would be cool if you could shape more of your characters identity. Having the ability to work towards certain individual goals like opening and running certain businesses would be really cool.

Generic

More violence and political incorrectness. The fun thing about the GTA games on PS2 was causing total chaos and destruction and merciless killing civilians, preferentially with cheat codes ON to access all these juicy vehicles and weapons. GTA games have no good story, no good gameplay (they are basic TPS with racing segments), there's no reason to play them other than creating chaos. But it's 2019 and they still don't allow the player to kill children, the gore is being toned down since Vity City (why can't I dismember people with kanatas anymore?) and R* cucked out with GTA IV planes.

Basically R* plays too safe and release the same game over and over again for easy $, while still pretending to be "counter-cultural".

Edit: another thing to add. When GTA3 was released, the gaming market was being bombarded by conservatives who wanted to control games. GTA3 was basically HUGE middle finger to them. If R* wants to have credibility again, they need to make the villain of GTA6 a feminist and allow the players to kill and dismember rainbow-colored ANTIFA-like enemies, just for the lulz. Also, no more good hearted black characters who are "forced into criminality". Make them full fledged psychopaths just like the white characters. Stop being scared of being viewed as racist.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
focus on not making triple A games with the worst combat and movements in the market maybe? (and i love rd2)

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

GTA V is the most profitable entertainment product ever released and you know why? Because it's great. You guys can have your opinions about Rockstar Games' games, but there is a reason why they sell like hotcakes and receive critical and industry acclaim.
yeah and got is the most famous show on tv even if the serial is shit since season 4 finale...

money=quality the post...

Matt_Fox

I think that a GTA 'Robocop styled' near future setting would have a lot of potential. The type of satire in Verhoeven's Robocop would work brilliantly in the GTA universe and being set perhaps 10-20 years from now would really allow the writers off the hook to go 100% with that black humour and sharp social commentary.

Detroit Become Human had a great setting with lots of well considered touches, but presented in a rather serious and po-face way. GTA could do that near future environment with more comedy, and also use the tech (weapons, vehicles, hacking, etc) to enhance the traditional GTA gameplay and present some new elements not seen before.

I also like the 'rival' protagonists concept suggested earlier, that would present scope to have mission outcomes and decisions impact across both storylines in quite a novel way.

Stimpak

I’d like to see R* do something new with Their GTA themes.

I’m surprised they haven’t made a game solely focused on running a criminal empire while using legal loopholes, bribery, etc. to dodge law enforcement investigations.

Something like a Sons of Anarchy game (doesn’t have to be that specific IP, just an example) where gameplay is a mix of maintaining criminal alliances and not causing too much trouble to get the attention of federal agencies.

As opposed to going postal on the army and waking up in hospital.

Breaks immersion for me, but I guess I’m in the wrong place if that’s what I’m looking for.

Myths

yeah and got is the most famous show on tv even if the serial is shit since season 4 finale...

money=quality the post...
You say that like it's objectively true. Different perspectives and different mediums too, so not the best analogy.
His point is there isn’t a necessary correlation between commercial success and quality of said product or service therein. It’s a blatantly specious response to use, you should know full well than to come with that chief.

That being said, opinions are going to be opinions regardless of success. Companies will obviously do what they please, this doesn’t mean we should be flippant or dismissive of fan base reception no matter how minor. Most of what’s it’s been pitched in the thread seems reasonably grounded without reaching too hard.

I personally believe it makes for an interesting discussion, just to see the polarity on expectations moving forward with the series.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member

Anything can be improved.

JimmyJones

Banned
Rockstar take themselves too seriously now. They are suffering from Jared Leto syndrome. GTA3, Vice and San Andreas had so much soul compared to the newer ones I felt. Maybe it's just nostalgia?

BigBooper

Physics. Despite GTA5 being a great world and whatnot, exploring the sandbox wasn't nearly as fun as San Andreas, Vice City, or 4 had been. Everything felt too snappy. It's amazing to me that they made 5 so snappy and arcadey and made RDR2 the most sludgy TPS ever.

I want fun physics and more stuff to do and interiors to explore in the game world which should be smaller and tightly focused like Grand Theft Auto III and Vice City. I also want to see the military return with a six-star wanted level. Do away with the yellow line waypoint system and let me figure out the best route to take like how it used to be.

Zurick

Banned
Gameplay. It's fucking ass to play. Don't know how they went from Max Payne 3 in moving and shooting to a guy who can barely walk down a flight of steps better than Octodad.

Take a lesson on GTA IVs euphoria physic. GTA V was a backstep in this regard. Super realistic physics can make for some hilarity. I never realized how import they were until this recent COD alpha came out. Those animations were so detailed and it made it feel so much more immersive.

I feel like GTA needs make this sort of progression in many ways. Hand never felt powerful and I hated their sounds. They need to feel heavy like in Max Payne 3. That was their peak of gameplay in my opinion.

Also, don't focus so much on how much terrain there is. Use what you learned from red dead and expand. For example, GTA V was huge but there was a lot of nothingness. Have more buildings in GTA V which have levels and people working, going to their apartments, parties. Make the city feel loved in.

I know some people may hate me saying this, but light rpg elements could do this game some good. Be able to talk to all NPCs, but expand further. I want to be able to mug people and Rob houses, get into fights, hit on women ( not PC but shut up).

Mista

Banned
Controls lag is what pisses me off in Rockstar games. I’m sure they can figure it out since even small studios can make smooth controls in their games. Make do the missions the way I want without following a certain path otherwise it’s a mission failed screen. Yes this is mostly RDR2 but we don’t know if they aren’t going to implement it in the new GTA. Other than this they’re good to me.

Myths

Take a lesson on GTA IVs euphoria physic. GTA V was a backstep in this regard. Super realistic physics can make for some hilarity. I never realized how import they were until this recent COD alpha came out. Those animations were so detailed and it made it feel so much more immersive.

I feel like GTA needs make this sort of progression in many ways. Hand never felt powerful and I hated their sounds. They need to feel heavy like in Max Payne 3. That was their peak of gameplay in my opinion.

Also, don't focus so much on how much terrain there is. Use what you learned from red dead and expand. For example, GTA V was huge but there was a lot of nothingness. Have more buildings in GTA V which have levels and people working, going to their apartments, parties. Make the city feel loved in.

I know some people may hate me saying this, but light rpg elements could do this game some good. Be able to talk to all NPCs, but expand further. I want to be able to mug people and Rob houses, get into fights, hit on women ( not PC but shut up).
This is what I mean by alive. Buildings you can enter with actually depth to the interiors. Some might say it’s asking for real life sim, but it seems to me with each release they gradually move toward more detailed, realistic features anyway.

Loved the cellphone usage, the extracurricular activities a lot of the PEDs engaged in on the side but as always R* leaves us wanting more. In that respect, they do a pretty good job.

Meesh

I really want GTA to have a setting in Japan.
Really.
Reeeeeaaaallly want this.
I've never played GTA but this would be my first game.

Last edited:

hunthunt

Banned
get rid of those fucking 2001 controls and prioritize gameplay over everything.

And Bully 2.

Last edited:

Shmunter

If they don’t modernise the controls I’ll be passing on whatever game. Will pick it up casual when it’s discounted for impulse buy.

Tried playing gtav a dozen times and always drop it. Tried playing rdr2 a number of times, dropped it each time. Just can’t be bothered fighting the game instead of playing it.

Top Bottom