• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are teenagers playing at the moment…great way to see where gaming is headed and I don’t like it won’t but.

rm082e

My son is currently really into:
  • Gorilla Tag (VR)
  • Fortnite
  • Dragon Ball Fighters
  • Roblox
He's big on social gaming, so he puts a priority on games he can play with his online friends. When he does play solo, he likes games that have lots of collectables. He's not much into single-player story driven games.

peek

Minecraft is an OBVIOUS major W. Kids like legos ya? Well, minecraft is just a waaay cheaper way for them to play digital legos.

A.Romero

My10 yo just finished Demon Souls remake (Not even I did that) and just started Bloodborne and GT7. He also plays fornite.

My 8 year old plays random shit on a phone and also plays fornite, roblox and Minecraft.

They both play mortal kombat and sf6.

I got them octopath traveler but didn't really care about it.

JimboJones

Nothing, both games are good, especially Minecraft. The issues is that at least for my kids they don’t have much interest in SP games with exception of couple Mario ones, Stardew valley and a few other builder type games.

Well, and Pokémon. I did play through bunch of Hogwarts with them since they love HP, but even they they wouldn’t have played by themselves.
Honestly sounds like my nephew from you describing your kids 😂.
Try the Spiderman games, my nephew gravitates to all those multiplayer builder games but recently Spiderman and TOTK has been his jam.

nial

My 13 years old son asked me to play on my computer today, I was like sure!!! And what do install….fucking Minecraft and rocket league 🤮🤮🤮 the title of the OP should read one bit damn autocorrect
ahdyva6.jpeg
Holy shit, boomer GAF truly has no shame. One of the worst threads I've ever seen here.

unlurkified

I’d say those are decent picks for his age. My 11 yo son now almost exclusively plays Brawl Stars because he, “has to play every day to keep up with his friends.” Borderline tragic in my book. I feel you bro on that feeling of disgust though.

I used to get such a kick out of watching my nephew play Roblox. His tiny hands moving like a pro Korean gamer while he snipes a dude in some COD knockoff. So effing funny and entertaining.

He's big into Elden Ring now.

nial

Relax. Don't be a dick.
Did you see is face? No!? Step back dude.
I am, lol. But this part is important:
while complaining about the fact?
It wouldn't be really weird if the whole post was in a positive light and not trashing whatever the kid likes; especially since most people agree that those are good games, which just ends up leaving an extremely confusing impression on that part.

Last edited:

Sojiro

Honestly what do you consider wrong with those two titles? The fact that they aren't single player games, or that they aren't graphical powerhouses for the PC? And what would you want him to be playing instead? I say this as a (damn near) 42 year old parent, and I don't see anything wrong with him playing either of those games. My kids all play Minecraft and a couple play Fortnite and Overwatch, and my oldest used to play a lot of Rocket League. While I do wish they had more interest in the games I grew up with (and there are a few I can get them to play) these are the games they have interest in, and there is nothing wrong with that.

As much as I loved me some good old single player games, once I discovered online games I was hooked. Coming into PC gaming at around 1997 (my bud had a PC, I didn't get one of my own until around 2002) and when we discovered Worms 2 online I was hooked. Nothing was cooler at the time than playing someone all the way across the world in Europe, and just talking with them as we played was mind blowing.

If your kid was playing some mobile whale hunting trash I would definitely be on board with you, as I find those games are absolute garbage and deserve every bit of shit they get. But your son is likely playing those games because they are fun for him, and more importantly his friends are playing them and it's something they can do together. I did the same thing with my buddies at his age, the only difference is it was mostly local co-op with friends on a console, but that did transition to online as that world started to open up for everyone. My oldest has gotten more and more into single player games as he has gotten older, but he will always drop them to play with buddies, and I can't blame him a bit for it.

Last edited:

Woopah

Back in the day? My early teenage years were like the original OG GTA on PC back in 1997 lol
I'd say 19 years ago is long enough to count as "back in the day".

But yes you could go back to OG GTA and Spyro, or even further back to Donkey Komg Country and Street Fighter.

twilo99

Gold Member
My 16 year old plays Counterstrike 2 + FIFA, and has a PS4 still, lol. He has zero interest in modern consoles.

Very few younglings are willing to learn how to use a keyboard and a mouse in order to properly enjoy FPS games.. I feel like if it wasn’t for CS no one would bother anymore and aim assisted games will completely take over.

So, good for him and good on you for providing the means.

Bernardougf

My 11 year son cares very little for my Ps5... he plays Crash 4 now and then, eventually some fifa matches, but thats it, ... most of the time he prefers playing gaas mobile games

My 13 year daughter dosent care at all for games...never did.. never will

StereoVsn

Honestly sounds like my nephew from you describing your kids 😂.
Try the Spiderman games, my nephew gravitates to all those multiplayer builder games but recently Spiderman and TOTK has been his jam.
They weren’t into SpiderMan or either Zelda, lol. Animal Crossing, Pokémon, Mario Odyssey, and of course Mario Kart is their favorite.

And Minecraft Legends, lol.

Edit: Thread TLDR - console manufacturers and SP game publishers are f-d :(.

Last edited:

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Rocket League is the GOAT

Your kid needs like... a higher chair or a lower desk, that KB+M posture ain't it. Teach em young, teach em right.

Great games tbh even though I'm into mine craft personally but I see the appeal. I'm 43 btw. At least your kid isn't playing Pokemon or Kingdom Hearts.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Sit down and play Minecraft with them. It may look ugly but it’s a damn good game.

You can be casual and do creative, or be more hardcore and do survival together.

Rocket league is a ton of fun with high skill ceiling.

I don’t understand this idea that kids gaming will still game the same way as adults. My gaming habits changed a lot from 7 to 40. Hell just this last 5 years I’ve gone back and forth between pc
and console before finally deciding to stick with consoles.

I don’t know maybe I’m wrong but it wouldn’t be the first time the industry thought they knew what people wanted or where gaming was headed only to look like idiots.

Griffon

Minecraft (2011ish), Rocket League (2015). It's pretty sad there aren't any newer games holding their attention.
Yeah that's the worst part of it.

Those are decent games by themselves, but that shit is over ten years old, aren't kids into newer cool stuff normally?
This much stagnation is very concerning.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

My 13 years old son asked me to play on my computer today, I was like sure!!! And what do install….fucking Minecraft and rocket league 🤮🤮🤮 the title of the OP should read one bit damn autocorrect
On the bright side, you don't have to get him the most expensive gaming rig for playing minecraft and rocket league.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
My 15 year old plays Nintendo games on her switch, shity GaaS games on her phone like Genshin impact or whatever it is.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
You think your teenage son playing 2 very good games released over 10 years ago is a good way to see where gaming is headed?

Good coop/versus games that are more light hearted than say Apex or CS etc. My teenage son still plays Rocket League with mates often, same as Apex but he's more interested in the gym with his gym rat mate than gaming. As for Minecraft my two kids left that behind years ago, rarely they'll still play it with friends.

Nintendo games and sims etc are more my daughter's speed though.

IAmRei

If I ever had son, i wont let him play popular games, i will train him in hard way, play NES, SNES, Megadrive, be it real or rerelease, or emulation, he must learn darkside, I am Sith and Tyrant btw, for the greater good.

El Muerto

Gold Member
I got 2 nephews that are pre-teens and they love Metal Gear Solid 5, Hitman, God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, COD, and Spiderman. But they also love Fortnite, and Minecraft. What it comes down to is they want to play games with a big open world with freedom. But i also got a nephew that likes to play stupid shit like I Am Bread, and Bendy and the ink machine. I let them play with my RG35xx and got them hooked on Donkey Kong Country, Link to the Past, and Bomberman. I introduced them to Crash Bandicoot when they were 5 or so and they started crying because it was too hard. Us older folks just need show them fun games we grew up with and pass the controller to them.

Top Bottom