• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I have yet to play either, but I own the third game. I keep saying I’ll get to it, then end up playing something else.

I’m currently playing Suikoden on PS1 instead. This is yet another game that I have owned for a decade and never played. I really like it so far. The pure 2D graphics are actually refreshing. It reminds me of a Sega Genesis game. The battle system is cool, how you enter all the orders then the battle plays out. I wish more games handled combat this way other than the standard Final Fantasy style.

Anyone know of any other JRPG that use this style for battles?

I'm a huge fan of the Suikoden franchise

I will say I played Suikoden 1 and 2 these past 2 years for the first time. 4 is the only stinker in the franchise

BOF3 is great but just to warn you it has a ton of mandatory Mini Games

Last edited:

Poordevil

Elden Ring lv 40. Been playing all month.
Still haven't figured out, really, the whole point of this game. Other than running around this massive map killing stuff, why am I here? But I don't let minor details like that hold me back!
So I explore. I would like to find a quest to give me some direction or purpose. But I don't find quest givers, or even a hint giver very often.
I did find this forlorn gal on the side of the road. She gave me a message to deliver to her dad. Perfect! I have something to do. I fight like a true hero and get it delivered. I go back to tell her the good news, expecting something useful in return. What do I find? She's dead! That's it, that's the quest.
So, now my mission is to upgrade this new bow I have. I found it on a YouTube video. The guy told me where it was. I'm telling you, I never would have found that bow in a million years. It was hid under a bridge in a most obscure location imaginable. But I got it. Only thing is the bow takes 12 Int to equip and I only had 9. At level 38, 39 It takes a lot of runes to level. Like 10,000.
I am down in the Siofra River lvl 40 with 9,000 runes grinding these guys for my 12 Int. I run out of arrows. Gotta have arrows. I chip away at them with my bow, then finish them off with a 2 handed sword. I do not know anyone down here in Siofra who sells stuff. So I teleport back to the lift and ride it to the surface. Along the road to the Merchant I see the big bad bear. I think if I kill this guy I will be real close to leveling up, probably be able make up the difference by selling some junk. Even if he kills me, no problem, I can come back and gather my runes. They will be right next to the road. He knocks me off my horse, stuns me, hits me, stuns me, hits me, I'm dead in 10 seconds. Resurrect at the bottom of Siofa River. I run off the Site of Grace and on to the elevator. Guess what, the lift was not there! It was up at the surface where I rode it to. Right down the elevator shaft I go... YOU DIED. I was grinding all morning for those runes.

Elden Ring lv 40. Been playing all month.
Still haven't figured out, really, the whole point of this game. Other than running around this massive map killing stuff, why am I here? But I don't let minor details like that hold me back!
So I explore. I would like to find a quest to give me some direction or purpose. But I don't find quest givers, or even a hint giver very often.
I did find this forlorn gal on the side of the road. She gave me a message to deliver to her dad. Perfect! I have something to do. I fight like a true hero and get it delivered. I go back to tell her the good news, expecting something useful in return. What do I find? She's dead! That's it, that's the quest.
So, now my mission is to upgrade this new bow I have. I found it on a YouTube video. The guy told me where it was. I'm telling you, I never would have found that bow in a million years. It was hid under a bridge in a most obscure location imaginable. But I got it. Only thing is the bow takes 12 Int to equip and I only had 9. At level 38, 39 It takes a lot of runes to level. Like 10,000.
I am down in the Siofra River lvl 40 with 9,000 runes grinding these guys for my 12 Int. I run out of arrows. Gotta have arrows. I chip away at them with my bow, then finish them off with a 2 handed sword. I do not know anyone down here in Siofra who sells stuff. So I teleport back to the lift and ride it to the surface. Along the road to the Merchant I see the big bad bear. I think if I kill this guy I will be real close to leveling up, probably be able make up the difference by selling some junk. Even if he kills me, no problem, I can come back and gather my runes. They will be right next to the road. He knocks me off my horse, stuns me, hits me, stuns me, hits me, I'm dead in 10 seconds. Resurrect at the bottom of Siofa River. I run off the Site of Grace and on to the elevator. Guess what, the lift was not there! It was up at the surface where I rode it to. Right down the elevator shaft I go... YOU DIED. I was grinding all morning for those runes.
I am sorry man. You can actually press a button on the map to see the surface sites of grace and the ones of interest can be marked and added to a shortcut menu.

As for the bow you have... a lot of enemies in the mid-game have magic resistance and some even dodge them unless you use a special Ash of War. Consider using a short bow because despite doing lower damage, it gives more versatility with faster firing rate and being able to jump away and fire. None of them require magic stats.

Last edited:

Poordevil

I am sorry man. You can actually press a button on the map to see the surface sites of grace and the ones of interest can be marked and added to a shortcut menu.

As for the bow you have... a lot of enemies in the mid-game have magic resistance and some even dodge them unless you use a special Ash of War. Consider using a short bow because despite doing lower damage, it gives more versatility with faster firing rate and being able to jump away and fire. None of them require magic stats.
Right, I forgot about being able to switch map views from the underground map to the surface map. Could have teleported right outa Siofra!

Went back and got the best of that bear! He did give up a lot of runes.

stn

I beat Valkyrie Elysium (PS4). It was solid, now I need to go back and beat it two more times to get the platinum (sigh). Nice game but I'll put it on the shelf for a bit. Next up is continuing my save in FF 16 (PS5).

I beat Valkyrie Elysium (PS4). It was solid, now I need to go back and beat it two more times to get the platinum (sigh). Nice game but I'll put it on the shelf for a bit. Next up is continuing my save in FF 16 (PS5).
You paused FF16 for Valkyrie Elysium?

Draugoth

Gold Member
Waiting to have a blast on Spider Man 2 :messenger_sunglasses:

nO7eaCi.jpeg

Elex 2.

Shit is euro-jank as hell my dudes.
Was just dropping in to say the same.

Preparing my body with eurojank in case Starfield is a mess.

The graphics and animation are frankly laughable. Like go and compare the models and animation to Gears of War on x360 and it will still come off looking much much worse.

The world looks basic as shit and the view distances and lod are unbelievable with shadows poping into view a few feet in front of you.

No good AA solution so the IQ looks like ass no matter what you do.

Performance similar to cutting edge games while looking like something from a decade or more ago.

Absolutely pathetic combat and janky as hell controls.

Tons of bugs. The first enemy I fought for stuck in midair and the second under the ground.

Simply terrible in every category....

....but I'm having a great time....

Actually worthwhile exploration and no hand holding makes it a strangely compelling experience despite having the whole deck stacked against it.

oji-san

Banned
Replayed GTA V campaign on XSX, had a lot of fun, it looks and runs very well. Trevor is probably one of the most psychopath characters i've ever played and i like him lol.

Started Gears of War 4 again, on Series X and it looks very good, already finished it on PC couple of years ago but i'm out of games right now and waiting for Starfield so will replay GoW4 and Gears 5.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Finally finished Tears of the Kingdom. Bouncing between Diablo 3 on my Series X and a new playthrough of Fallout New Vegas on PC ( I think it's been a decade since I last played this...thank God for quality of life mods like sorting inventory by weight, and anti crash fixes).

Zheph

The graphics and animation are frankly laughable. Like go and compare the models and animation to Gears of War on x360 and it will still come off looking much much worse.

The world looks basic as shit and the view distances and lod are unbelievable with shadows poping into view a few feet in front of you.

Performance similar to cutting edge games while looking like something from a decade or more ago.

Tons of bugs. The first enemy I fought for stuck in midair and the second under the ground.

Actually worthwhile exploration and no hand holding makes it a strangely compelling experience despite having the whole deck stacked against it.
Basically a Piranha Bytes game :messenger_astonished:

Fbh

Should be finishing TotK this week.
Have been enjoying it more since I decided to just focus on the main quests. I still think much of the side content is fairly weak, the shrines continue to be the best optional content but walking around the world looking for shrines isn't quite as exciting the second time around.

King Dazzar

After playing the trilogy for years on PC many times since release. I've just wrapped up Mass Effect Legendary Edition on PS5. Manged to get Platinum on ME2 & ME3. May revisit again some day for ME1 platinum. I did enjoy my time with it all again. But for me its starting to show its age. Might be one I retire to fond memories.

So I'm now onto Borderlands 2 on PS5. I tried the first one GOTY Edition, but the added HDR is awful and aiming pretty clunky. And played the 3rd loads already. So back to 2. I only play solo as I dont like people. (joke)

Mr Hyde

Been playing a lot of TotK this past week and I'm pretty far in now. Lots of things still to explore. This game is massive, but it's so much fun. I don't want it to end. Best Zelda since Wind Waker.

I'm also playing SH Homecoming on Steam. It's okay. For a game not developed by Team Silent it's decent, it has all the SH hallmark tropes, clunky combat, spooky sounds and eerie enemies. Solid story. It's not a disaster by any means like I thought it would be. Hopefully finishing up this tonight.

Interfectum

Playing Ratchet and Clank Wild Rift on Steam Deck. It's actually not near as bad as you'd think. Hard to believe I'm playing a current gen game on a handheld like this.

RAIDEN1

Playing Lucas Arts games on my series x.

Finished indy, starfighter, squadrons, jedi academy. Now onto jedi starfighter.

Having a blast.
Which Indy game is this? On a separate note I finished Abzu yesterday on the PS4 Pro....though I have had it on my system for ages, great art-style.....very mellow experience had that sci-fi vibe to it which had me curious...

Gandih42

Finished FFXVI, what a ride. I'll stick with it for the Final Fantasy mode NG+ (really excited to redo all the main levels with everything unlocked and higher difficulty), but I'll switch back to ToTK and Octopath 2 as my main games. Kind of wish I had more time to keep up with the games I like, but the bright side is that I never run out of exceptionally great games.

Majormaxxx

Which Indy game is this? On a separate note I finished Abzu yesterday on the PS4 Pro....though I have had it on my system for ages, great art-style.....very mellow experience had that sci-fi vibe to it which had me curious...
It is Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb. Delisted so you need to buy the disc. I forgot there were also Indy Lego games...

I played it back in the day on PC but had a blast this time on the xbox.

Thanks for recommending ABZU. Will check it out.

I've hardly played any games over the last few weeks. Only just got back into Tears of the Kingdom and done the wind temple. I'm only 20 hours in... since launch. Not had much time and when I do I can't be arsed playing anything.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Agree with all of the above.

I am one of those guys who played through the X360 version of Risen and had a blast as well.

Even with a VRR display, the game drops from the VRR range extremely frequently and then its tearing galore.

But it's fun.

Waiting to have a blast on Spider Man 2 :messenger_sunglasses:

nO7eaCi.jpeg

Aye man I got questions ..

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Switched over to quality mode on AC Valhalla and it looks pretty damn good sometimes. The performance mode was a little wonky but the game plays much better in 4K/30. It sure is a looker. Completed the two DLC campaigns and now ploughing through the main one, before ending with Dawn of Ragnarok. I like this game a lot.

Corian33

Just finished FF7 Remake. Enjoyed the experience and looking forward to more, though I’ll take a break before playing the DLC or whatever it is.

Now debating what to play next. So many great choices in my backlog, but then there’s Aliens: Dark Descent on sale calling to me.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm doing Elden Ring NG+ in my Faith Lightning focus build and I find it weird that Bolt of Gransax's skill does more damage than Lightning Spear incantation.

My Faith is 70 and Dex is 50 and Bolt of Gransax is scales mostly on Dex rather than Faith and yet still does more damage than Lightning Spear which should scaling with Faith and I have Gravel Stone Seal which should give dragon cult incantation damage boost.

Mr Hyde

AC Valhalla just had a hilarious reference to The Prodigy's Smack my bitch up. The world events have been pretty funny so far (and makes the world feel lived and dynamic) but this one probably took the cake (huge Prodigy fan, so that might play a role here). Been having lots of fun with the game these last days. Will most likely be the first AC I actually finish.

Currently playing TOTK, just completed the Zora storyline. I also bought Pikmin 4 and have yet to play it, outside of the demo. Still need to finish FF16 on my PS5 but I honestly feel the next game I play outside or TOTK or Pikmin 4 will be Starfield.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Been playing a lot of beamng.drive. It's lots of fun just smashing vehicles but there is an actual racing/driving game there as well. The graphics are hit and miss, pop-in is horrendous but the game can sometimes look beautiful and other times like complete crap. But nothing else has a damage model like it and very few have the physics model for rough terrain.

Topher

Gold Member
I'll be playing StarCraft tonight. Just something to play while I wait on Baldur's Gate 3 where my son and I will start a coop campaign tomorrow.

sedg87

Suikoden 2
Just reached South Window. Not played this game for years but have been reminded several times why it's one of my absolute favourite games of all time.

Also, question. Deciding between two games to buy: Marvel's Midnight Suns and Aliens: Dark Descent. Has anyone played these?

Top Bottom