• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Back in the day I played the hell out of this on my 360. The only achievements I didn't get were a couple of the Templar flag things.

As for your question it's just been too long for me, I can't help.
Find anything on Youtube?
Firstly, thanks for the gold!

Not sure though, I haven't looked it up on Youtube but I do have an idea about maybe how it's supposed to be done now.

Either way, I couldn't really stop playing once I got further.. I started the game earlier last night, finished it just now. It was a pretty great experience and I'm kind of interested to go on and look into Assassin's Creed 2 now. Wish I had that on the shelf - I'd start it up tomorrow! It was a great game for sure.

It looks to me like the next games.. is this right chronologically that I could just buy the Ezio Collection for Ps4 or Switch? Any reason to not buy that and instead play on old hardware like I did for AC?

Last edited:

Hudo

Just started Baldur's Gate 3. Only an hour and half in. I've landed on the beach after the ship crash. Seems like they trimmed down the ship part from early access.
So I'm not crazy! Because that's exactly what I thought as well, that the ship part seemed shorter. And I was unsure whether it was me already having played throught that part and subsequently knowing how to play through it or if it is really trimmed down.

Roberts

Elex 2.

Shit is euro-jank as hell my dudes.

I love me some euro-junk and played both. There is some stuff the second one does better and it was kind of fun to traverse more or less the same map that has changed by the passing of the time but overall the first one was better imho mostly because the sequel stumbles at the last stretch.

Fess

Drrt6YE.jpg

bzfhnOn.jpg

M0yUD52.jpg

Went back to Skyrim, 12 years and it’s still such a fantastic game 👌

RAIDEN1

More Mass Effect 3 this weekend, I am enjoying going through this game for only the 2nd time, then I did playing God of War 2018 for the FIRST time. and I got to a point where I abandoned it and soon enough deleted it from the hard-drive......(and my first ever God of War game...) Will also go back to some Horizon 5 at some point hopefully this weekend..

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
The Ezio Collection features a bump in resolution and improved textures. I forgot that it was also on Switch!
I already own Origins and I really want to play so I booted that up... Seems like a totally different kind of game lol. I love the setting but wish it was more like the first game, but I guess this is like five or ten sequels in after all. I'll keep playing it for now but going to have to get that Ezio collection soon!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Diablo 4 - PC

That’s pretty much it. I’ve got a bunch of other games I haven’t started, because I want to keep working on Diablo.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Final Fantasy XVI and Spider-Man which I've just Platinum, just finishing finish off the DLC.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Battletoads (XB1). Its actually surprisingly good. Pretty surprised. I'm starting to think that the XB1 library I skipped will be looked back on a lot more kindly than it was seen at the time. PS4 was the peak of the cinematic 3rd person game. AA weird games with odd comedy, and a focus on gameplay were not "in" at the time.

Its much more casual than Streets of Rage 4. But its still pretty decent.

bender

What time is it?
Halls of Torment - It is Vampire Survivors but instead of the Castlevania aesthetic, it utilizes Diablo/Diablo II which works better with this theming as instead of being window dressing, you can almost envision Diablo moving towards this style of game in an alternative universe. After all, Diablo was originally imagined to be a turn-based RPG and later became action-based. Halls of Torment does have a lot of the tropes found in Vampire Survivors (the time limit, bosses spawning at set times, gold used to upgrade traits back at your base, random sets of traits you can choose to upgrade every level) but it does have a few neat hooks like armor and rings dropping each run with the option to return a found item to your base, which can be purchased later and used of all future runs, or you can continue to wear the gear for your current run which is a nice little risk/reward. With Diablo IV being a massive let down, this has been a fun little time sink and is only four bucks on Steam.

Straight up addicted to thjs Assassin's Creed stuff. Loving AC Origins now that I've sunk more time into it.

I still don't like that it is a completely different style of game than the first Assassin's Creed but as I've mentioned before it's so many titles into the series that it was probably a pretty slow evolution of changes and I'm just seeing it like one big hammer because I only played the first game prior. I'm absolutely picking up the Ezio trilogy and I will be playing that once I'm done with Origins.

I really love the ancient Egypt setting, it's so great being able to climb the pyramids and run through the streets of Memphis and so on. I really like doing all the side missions in any given area before doing the main target because that makes it feel a lot more like the first game in the sense that you are almost doing recon or doing side stories that relate to the main target you have in a general geographic area.

And while I wouldn't call them secrets in general it sure felt kind of like a secret when I was exploring the different pyramids and trying to find those ancient tablets because even though they're only relatively small linear corridors it was still pretty cool.

Really digging it and once I get the Ezio Trilogy and play through those if I like them I will just keep on playing through this series in sequential order until I need a break from it. I do notice that there's a lot less present-day storyline in this one compared to the first game. That cliffhanger at the end of the first game had me really needing to play the next one can't wait.

The only good thing about pretty much ignoring this whole series for so long is that there's a lot of great stuff it seems to catch up on.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Beat Celeste after all these years. Never really got into it on Switch maybe up till the mirror temple. Finished it on Xbox yesterday. Did most of it without cheats. I did use them for the B-sides and Farewell cause fuck it. Easy achievements! I aint got time to punish myself like that. I do understand the praise however, it's a lovely game.

tylrdiablos

I've just finished Star Wars Jedi: Survivor.
I enjoyed the majority of this game (very good visuals, decent story, great voice-acting etc) but the technical issues (PC running a 3080ti) really soured some of the experience for me,
The "compiling shaders" appears on every launch of the game. The frame-drops are frequent and heavy. The frame-pacing causes inputs to be missed resulting in things like attacks not being dodged.
This game has had one patch since launch... it's still very broken.

The addition of a mini-game is nice and some of the collectibles were fun to hunt down, if that's your kinda thing.
It's a shame BD-01's voice/beeps/boops didn't play out of the PS5's controllers speaker.

A 7.6/10 from me. I hope there's a 3rd game on the way to wrap up the story for Cal and his crew... one that's not using a broken version of the Unreal engine.

Last edited:
I've been seriously invested in the Mother (Earthbound) series, i want to experience the entire trilogy. Started with the first one via the Mother 1 + 2 collection on the GBA playing on Retroarch with a nice filter and a translation patch.

And it's rough. 16bit JRPGs i can handle somewhat if they're really good, but 8bit? Damn. No hand-holding at all. Grind galore. But, it's really charming and there is so much love poured into this thing, it's easily one of the most advanced video games on the NES, and clearly inspired many design elements in future games.

I've been seriously invested in the Mother (Earthbound) series, i want to experience the entire trilogy. Started with the first one via the Mother 1 + 2 collection on the GBA playing on Retroarch with a nice filter and a translation patch.

And it's rough. 16bit JRPGs i can handle somewhat if they're really good, but 8bit? Damn. No hand-holding at all. Grind galore. But, it's really charming and there is so much love poured into this thing, it's easily one of the most advanced video games on the NES, and clearly inspired many design elements in future games.
Yeah. The first game doesn't hold up.

sedg87

Suikoden 2
Rescued Teresa from Greenhill. Spending a little time recruiting some new characters.

Haven't played many PC horror games in a while so decided to start one late tonight. Options are:
Amnesia: Dark Descent
Phasmaphobia
Darkwood
Home Sweet Home
Stalker: Call of Pripyat

Leaning toward Amnesia.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Suikoden 2
Rescued Teresa from Greenhill. Spending a little time recruiting some new characters.

Haven't played many PC horror games in a while so decided to start one late tonight. Options are:
Amnesia: Dark Descent
Phasmaphobia
Darkwood
Home Sweet Home
Stalker: Call of Pripyat

Leaning toward Amnesia.
Have you tried Devotion? It’s worth a playthrough. One of my personal favorite fps pc horro games. You have to buy it from their website, Red Candle Games.

Yeah, 8bit JRPGs are fundamentally obsolete given that 16bit JRPGs surpassed, and superseded them in every conceivable way. I don't usually touch them, but i'm a sucker for unique video games, and Mother I has its moments. I love the experience of going through it, seeing what the developers had to work with to make their vision a reality, and to personally nurture a frame of reference that'll probably make me appreciate Earthbound a hell of a lot more.

Mr Hyde

Silent Hill Homecoming bested. It was pretty good. Not at all as awful as I thought it would be. The story was pretty good. The hell dimensions was eerie and looked quite good for once. The music was spot on. Classic Yamaoka. It had a solid cast of characters and the boss designs were pretty awesome. I also played a remastered version who did away with the annoying QTEs, which helped the flow of the game immensely. It also ran at 4K/60 so a big step up from PS3s 720p and sub 30 fps.

The bad parts were the combat. The devs tried to spice it up from previous games, you could dodge and maneuver around the monsters, and different weapons had different style to them, but it was still clunky as hell. Pyramid Head shouldn't been included, but it was probably inevitable since he became so iconic. The puzzles were hit and miss.

Overall a solid entry. It's not as good as SH 1-3 but better than Room. I wonder how Downpour feels today. I remember it to be pretty good, but was a technical mess on PS3 and barely playable. Hopefully it plays better on PC.

bender

What time is it?
Beat Celeste after all these years. Never really got into it on Switch maybe up till the mirror temple. Finished it on Xbox yesterday. Did most of it without cheats. I did use them for the B-sides and Farewell cause fuck it. Easy achievements! I aint got time to punish myself like that. I do understand the praise however, it's a lovely game.

Mirror Temple on the Switch is where I stopped too, heh. I picked it up after the initial hype wave and hoping to recapture some of that Super Meat Boy magic. The narrative in Celeste is overbearing and I'm not really a fan of the pixel art. I'll boot it up every six or so month and then Google "how many chapters in Celeste" only to realize I'm only half way though and then move onto something else.

SpiceRacz

Gold Member

It's critical that you install a hack that lowers the enemy encounter rate and increases the experience you receive from battles. It makes the game infinitely more enjoyable.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Yeah, 8bit JRPGs are fundamentally obsolete given that 16bit JRPGs surpassed, and superseded them in every conceivable way. I don't usually touch them, but i'm a sucker for unique video games, and Mother I has its moments. I love the experience of going through it, seeing what the developers had to work with to make their vision a reality, and to personally nurture a frame of reference that'll probably make me appreciate Earthbound a hell of a lot more.
The thing is, Mother didn‘t really hold up in a lot of ways even for 1989 standards.
The graphics are (intentionally) crude, the grind is egregious, the menus are cumbersome, etc. But all of that has to be made on purpose, because most of it returned as-is in Earthbound. It’s clear someone at Nintendo understood the idiosyncrasies and limitations of the console JRPG genre and decided to somewhat parody them by doubling sown on them. There’s zero reason Mother 1 has to be so raw and tedious considering it came 3 full years after Dragon Quest (which already had 3 games out at the time, with 4 coming soon) and 2 years after FF (with the third FF game around the corner). “Realistic” inventory limitations in a game with aliens and magic realms? Having to go through so many steps to manage money? Lengthy, repetitive dialogue every time you want to save the game? Sprawling places where every screen looks like any other? Nintendo had already moved past that 8-bit shit with their previous games, so all of that in Mother is absolutely there because they wanted it to be that way.

That’s also part of the charm of the games, though. It’s just awfully tiring to play today. The grind and the aimless wandering are the things I could do without in Mother 1, plus the infuriating RNG. The game was a chore to play, but it’s unforgettable.

Roberts

I'm supposed to play Diablo which I really like, but can't seem to commit to it so instead I'm playing tons of GP indies. Toem and Short Hike were nice little exploration adventure games. Venba is a short narrative game about the hardships of being an immigrant in a foreign country and struggle to maintain your cultural identity with basically no gameplay other than cooking dishes in the right order - I think it was totally fine and for the most part it just really made me want to cook my own biryani. Arcade Paradise is that typical, tedious management sim - this time you are managing a laundry and slowly transforming it into a video game arcade. It's also kind of addictive and you can play tons of mini games at the arcade as well as occasionally unclog the toilet which is probably million times more amusing than it would be in real life. Saw that Edge of Eternity is leaving GP so I finally played it for a few hours - it's a French interpretation of a 3d jrpg. Not bad at all with some interesting battle combat ideas but also not sure I would want to play it until the end as supposedly it takes around 50 hours to finish the main story. Also, played Serious Sam: Siberian Mayhem a it is more of the same but it seems like they have fixed most of the performance issues - it is definitely running better than par 4 a year or so ago.

Oh, and I checked out Miasma Chronicles and it looks great. No surprise really as Mutant Year Zero was a great game and this much more ambitious, especially when it comes to presentation.

Dr.Morris79

Overall a solid entry. It's not as good as SH 1-3 but better than Room. I wonder how Downpour feels today. I remember it to be pretty good, but was a technical mess on PS3 and barely playable. Hopefully it plays better on PC.
Downpour via an emulator? It might run the PS3 version a bit better, havent heard much about it. I suffered quite a way through the PS3 version and it was truly a slog. MS made it backwards compatible and it works pretty good on a Series X, thats probably your best bet if you're not emulating

I really enjoyed Downpour, I know it's not 'official' Silent Hill per se but it was great at what it did.

The only other crap thing is thay it's not available via digital here in the UK, so disc it is and is yet another reason why a digital future is not a good one for us gamers.

Mr Hyde

Downpour via an emulator? It might run the PS3 version a bit better, havent heard much about it. I suffered quite a way through the PS3 version and it was truly a slog. MS made it backwards compatible and it works pretty good on a Series X, thats probably your best bet if you're not emulating

Yeah, it will be via emulation. I played only an hour or so, but it seemed to run fine. Series X is not an option unfortunately, it's not hardware I'm interested in. I do hope Konami puts out official remasters of both Homecoming and Downpour. Even though they are not as highly regarded as the games by Team Silent, they are still good enough to be trapped on the PS360 era. They deserve a better fate.

Top Bottom