• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Barakov

Still TLOZ : Tears Of The Kingdom. I boot this game up and hours just disappear.
disappear pimp my ride GIF by namslam

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Just finished Cocoon. Liked it, reminded of Scorn somehow. Switching between worlds became a bit tedious near the end tho. Game is not difficult but I did have some moments where I was like wtf am I missing.

reektann

I am back on Cyberpunk after playing through it when it first came out on PC. This time I don't even hack anything - just balls out run in dashing about slow mo with a sword. Feels very different. Playing on mouse and kb this time too so I the responsiveness works great when slicing everybody up. Looking forward to Phantom Liberty opening up.

Last edited:
Im going to replay it for the first time on my Deck OLED. Runs great.

The old PS360 games run great on basically anything at this point. I think this one looks very nice, especially since they included higher res textures (for the day) with it. I'm running it at 1440p max settings at 100fps (my display maximum) on an aging i7 6700 / RX 5600 system. It must really pop on the OLED screen. Are you using VSR with it?

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
The old PS360 games run great on basically anything at this point. I think this one looks very nice, especially since they included higher res textures (for the day) with it. I'm running it at 1440p max settings at 100fps (my display maximum) on an aging i7 6700 / RX 5600 system. It must really pop on the OLED screen. Are you using VSR with it?

Nope haven't used VSR yet. GTA4 runs worse though but that game was not such a good port I believe.

sedg87

Dead Island 2
Finished the story. Really enjoyed it although it gets a bit samey in certain areas: Go find a breaker, kill everything, find a keycard, etc. Not sure if I'll do the side stuff or move onto something else.

Started RDR1 and having a good time overall, but OMG what are these controls? And the mission structure is abysmal. Just walking up triggers it and you get locked out of a bunch of things while it's in progress. Someone please tell me they fixed it for RDR2.

Cryio

Deathloop. I just love exploring every corner and trying permutations, see if the game reacts or not to my decisions/actions. Doing everything without a quest marker, way more immersive and complicated.

sedg87

Late last night I decided to plug in my Snes mini. I bought it at release and never really touched it.

Super Mario World
I used to play this at my cousin's house when I was a kid. Great blast of nostalgia.

Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Cleared a few stages as Ryu. I'm awful at the early SF games

Super Castlevania 4
Castlevania: SotN is one of my favourite games of all time, but I've never really played the others. I only cleared the first stage and then died a bunch. Think I'm getting old. Well, older.

Out of all the games on the mini, I want to finish Super Mario World, Castlevania, Secret of Mana and Super Mario RPG.

Mr Hyde

Finished Psychonauts 2. Great sequel to the first one. I fell in love with Psychonauts during the early PS2-years, but since it bombed I never thought I would get a sequel. And I always wanted one, but with better graphics since the first one had pretty bad visuals already at the time.

Psychonauts 2 delivers on all fronts. It expands on the lore and history of the Psychonauts, bringing back old fan favorite characters while introducing new ones. It has a great script, lots of funny dialogue and interactions with the world, and Raz is just the best protagonist ever. Funny, sweet and heroic. His girlfriend Lili is hilarious too, and adorable. She should get her own spinoff game. Or at least DLC.

The different brains you visit are very creative and inventive, both in level design and art direction. Double Fine really steps up here and delivers fantastic visuals with superb gameplay and fun power ups to use.

Highly recommend it for fans of the original, or if you just like unique and original platformers in general.

WoJ

Played The Callisto Protocol's DLC. I thought it was fine.

Started Final Fantasy 15. I'm excited for this game. Haven't played a mainline FF since 13 (unless 7R counts). I know the game has its warts but I have been craving what FF offers so just looking forward to diving into this.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Still plugging away at Tiny Tina, which at level 28ish is finally now starting to get a little fun. I mean, the loot in this game suuuuucks. Watch the Angry Joe review, because it’s spot on.
Collecting all of these hidden dice in the world to increase my good RNG for loot drops, and it honestly doesn’t seem to make much of a difference at all.

But I’m finally not feeling like a chump at this point, so that’s good. Humor is more miss than hit, and some side missions drag on. I’m sure the Steam Winter Sale will have a badge requirement of reviewing a game, so I’m saving TT for that.

bender

What time is it?
I finished up Chop Gobblins which was a fine 1-2 hour experience. It's from the maker of Dusk and it kind of feels like that might be the outlier of his output that I really love.

I also spent a few hours in The Mummy Demastered. I just beat the second boss. The game is dull as dishwater. I'm not sure I'll keep playing.

Alpha Male

For the month of December:

Series X
Starfield
Age of Empires
Forza Motorsport
Halo Infinite multiplayer
Battlefield 2042

PS5
Spiderman 2
Riders Republic
Talos Principle 2

Switch OLED handheld
Tears of the Kingdom

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Battletoads

Aside from the crappy VA and lame humor it's a pretty solid brawler. The artstyle is nice, very colorful and vibrant with lots of fun animations. The toads can turn in to all sorts of things, like a fish or a goat, or classic stuff like their feet or fist growing bigger, expanding on the repertoire from the NES game. The turbo tunnel sequence was greatly improved as well. So far way better than I thought. A big step up from the miserable NES original.

Late last night I decided to plug in my Snes mini. I bought it at release and never really touched it.

Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Cleared a few stages as Ryu. I'm awful at the early SF games
That is hands down the best mainstream console port of Street Fighter II in that generation. One thing I love about this version is the aerial helicopter kick with Ken and Ryu. It acts like an air-dash half a decade before any fighting game implemented an air-dash. It is super fun and I have not been able to replicate it outside of this revision.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Still playing the usual, but I did try out Amazon’s Luna Cloud gaming service which Prime grants you a few games to play each month.

For starters it works way, way, waaaay better than Xbox Cloud which I’ve tested several times with Game Pass. Shockingly better.

Anyways I tried Steel Assault which has been in my wishlist as well as some 2D Bloodrayne where they gave her an anime makeover.

Steel Assault looks beautiful for a game going for the 16-bit look. The gameplay and controls feel solid.

My main gripe is that for starters the screen has too much pixel vomit on it. Just too much detail. Also it’s like modern developers don’t get that back then games were so well designed that you were rarely puzzled as to what you were supposed to do to proceed. Also the difficulty was just punishing right off the bat with cheap hits that require memorization.
You were allowed to feel like a badass, which these younger developers just don’t seem to grasp.

So Steel Assault is a fun game that’s brought down by this developer ideology that old games were difficult, so we have to punish the player right off the bat.

Bloodrayne just felt too zoomed in, with weird controls (move forward and the quickly back to perform a forward slide?!). Didn’t enjoy that one at all and it’s good for them I couldn’t leave a review since Luna just uses Metacritic.

amigastar

I'm playing Against the Storm which came out on Game Pass. For now i try to understand the game mechanics but so far it looks really nice.

Last edited:

sedg87

My Steam Deck arrived today so I have been mostly testing that out.

Hades
Played it a little before but feels really good on the deck.

Vampire Survivors
Really simplistic yet a ridiculous amount of fun.

On the lookout for some suggestions on what games to buy if anyone wants to recommend something.

I went back to Darktide a couple of weeks ago, after the big updates; I hadn't played in (at least) half a year, and boy, the game is is very good shape now! That new mission from a few days ago with the Twins... in Damanation... after unlocking the (not so) secret hard mode... I've never had so much fun and challenge in a video game in a long time!

foamdino

My Steam Deck arrived today so I have been mostly testing that out.

Hades
Played it a little before but feels really good on the deck.

Vampire Survivors
Really simplistic yet a ridiculous amount of fun.

On the lookout for some suggestions on what games to buy if anyone wants to recommend something.
If you're enjoying Vampire Survivors, Halls of Torment and Death must Die are two newer 'survivor-likes' (or bullet-heavens). I think Halls of Torment is a better game than Vampire Survivors and Death Must Die is like a mix of Vampire Survivors, Hades and Diablo 2 - it looks great.

• Dark and Darker, still my favorite game since the playtests, and I'll say the best online multiplayer game currently.
  • Picayune, actual good, somewhat refreshing, bullet-hell-ish and very intense 'survivors' game with an amazing artstyle and soundtrack.

Lunarorbit

Just started bg3 this week. Really like it so far.

I had another bout of not playing games for a month. I don't know why it happens to me with so many great games out.

Picked up bg3, re4, dead space,dredge,yakuza kimsni 2, Warhammer boltgun,doom eternal, and Lego star wars on the ps store last week so I've got a good selection for the winter.

Paltheos

Finished my NG+ run of Dark Souls 3. Going back to it after Elden Ring (and all the other games - DS3 was my first which really stuck with me), allot about the design is... quaint. There's no single level which nails the enormous scope of Leyndell (although nothing in the series has really topped emerging from the catacombs and seeing Irithyll for the first time). The modular design of each area of the game is very apparent, and I find myself missing big area-to-area shortcuts more than I thought I would. That said, enemy and especially boss design is so much better it's almost funny. For sure I've practically gone through anime training and I remember DS1 bosses being a joke the first time around, but DS3 still strikes the best(?) balance of hard but fun and fair encounters that err on the side of being too easy. There's no bullshit input reading, too fast to react to attacks, or preposterously long attack strings that hang around Elden Ring's encounters like an albatross. I want to say this is still my favorite Fromsoft game, but it's still a contest with Bloodborne. Non-regenerating blood vials is still as awful a design choice as ever but coming back to DS3 reminded me how fun and no nonsense the game is.

As I was a newbie the first time I played DS3 who went through the game basic bitch style (Lothric Knight Sword + 100% block w/e), this time I played as god intended - slapping on a big ol' two hander with the Grass Crest Shield on my back. Weapon of choice was Vordt's Great Hammer, as I always thought it looked baller and I wanted to play a frost weapon. Frost and stagger carried for the first half of the game until much became frost resistant, around which point I realized how great Perseverance is as a weapon art for guaranteeing that first hit. Late game I gave all that up for an even bigger weapon - Fume Ultra Greatsword, which I ran to the end because why not. Didn't use its weapon art as much because I was already overpowered from grinding covenant items via PvE (I rose from SL 160 to over 200 farming those damn things). Lightning blessing made the thing pretty damn strong. The long vertical R1 helped carry me to my first solo win against Darkeater Midir too - In my NG run a friend had co-op'd with me but going at him again Midir's not really that bad if you know his attacks and stick to landing blows on his head.

I'll rush through through NG++ to finish picking up everything required for 100% 'chievos. Just one gesture (Proper Bow) and all the NG+2 rings.

sedg87

If you're enjoying Vampire Survivors, Halls of Torment and Death must Die are two newer 'survivor-likes' (or bullet-heavens). I think Halls of Torment is a better game than Vampire Survivors and Death Must Die is like a mix of Vampire Survivors, Hades and Diablo 2 - it looks great.

Never heard of Halls of Torment, but I have Death Must Die on my wishlist. I'll grab both when I'm done with Vampire Survivors. Thank you.

Vampire Survivors
I unlocked the library stage and got to 29 minutes and 42 seconds before I got squished :(

Dazraell

I'm currently playing Rise of the Argonauts on Steam Deck. I'm just finishing the final island before reaching the endgame

Eh, it's an okay BioWare-like game, but I think the premise and idea sounds much better on paper than how it was executed. It doesn't really feel like an RPG as most of game mechanics are way too simplified. The story feels rushed and game doesn't really give us time to learn more about companions. I really liked the main protagonist though, Jason was a good lead character. I also think that deeds system was really unique and worked quite well with the game's mythological setting

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Bayonetta Remastered - haven't played it since it's original release, reminded why it's one of the best action games of all time. Currently on my Hard playthrough.

God of War: Valhalla DLC - one of the best DLC's I've ever played and it's *free*. Lots of throwbacks for OG God of War fans, so good.

Star Ocean Second Story R - finished the main quest and will dig into NG+ soon. It's funny how much one forgets 23 years later, in many ways it was like a completely new experience. JRPG classic remake done exceptionally well.

bender

What time is it?
Hate finished The Mummy Demastered and hopefully I'll kill enough braincells by drinking that it will quickly be erased from my mind.

Started The Batbarian which seems pretty solid so far.

Top Bottom