• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I played Super Mario RPG for 2 to 3 days straight and finished it.

I was wondering did they change the requirement when it came to clearing the 6 doors? I remember that you had to clear all 6 doors to get to Smithy, but in this game, I was able to clear 4 doors and was able to get to Smithy.

I never beat the Original. This game felt easier but I loved it. Overall it was a great remake and it didn't overstay it's welcome

violence

Final Fantasy 16 - I’m liking it a lot. Glad I stayed in media blackout.

Boulders gate 3 - I ended up dropping this and went back to Final Fantasy when I realized it was like Dragon Age origins. A game I spent a lot of time trying to like.

Mohonky

EA WRC; I love the Dirt titles and this is just the new extension of these. If it's not a rally Sim it's an F1 Sim for me.

Otherwise nightly where I can I also play Left 4 Dead 2 versus. Never gets old.

Final Fantasy 16 - I’m liking it a lot. Glad I stayed in media blackout.

Boulders gate 3 - I ended up dropping this and went back to Final Fantasy when I realized it was like Dragon Age origins. A game I spent a lot of time trying to like.

How far into FF16 are you and how do you feel about it getting rid of most RPG mechanics?

Grechy34

Beat Doom 2016.

Now playing through Metroid Dread (first Metroid game ever) about 8 hours in (most of the time trying to figure out where to go) :messenger_grinning_sweat: Amazing game.

Last edited:

sedg87

Dead Island 2
I really, really like this. I've just got my hands on my first gun. Just mindless fun. Perfect to switch off and play this after work.

violence

How far into FF16 are you and how do you feel about it getting rid of most RPG mechanics?
About 6 hours in and just saved Gav from falling off a cliff. As for RPG mechanics, I guess I didn't think about that but so far it's more "action game" then even FF7 remake. Every long running series probably, at some point, needs to change things and this is the direction they went with. I'm going to try and enjoy what they made because it does feel like love was put into it. All the main boss fights have been "wow" moments for me.

About 6 hours in and just saved Gav from falling off a cliff. As for RPG mechanics, I guess I didn't think about that but so far it's more "action game" then even FF7 remake. Every long running series probably, at some point, needs to change things and this is the direction they went with. I'm going to try and enjoy what they made because it does feel like love was put into it. All the main boss fights have been "wow" moments for me.

Oh so you are still extremely early. Definitely a good mindset to go in with. I didn't really form a lasting opinion until mid-late game, there's a lot between now and then that may sway you one way or another.

Mr Hyde

Tomb Raider Anniversary on PC. Worked great and ran flawless until St Francis Folly, when suddenly there was severe frame drops for no reason at all. In the Atlas chamber I think the game ran at 5 fps. Could nearly finish the chamber. It's a shame this game hasn't gotten a proper rerelease or remaster. GoG version seems to be the best way to play it still, or if you have old PS360 hardware lying around. Or maybe emulation is better. Love this trilogy of games but none of them have worked particularly great so far.

MikeM

Gold Member
Debating next game as I just got the platinum on PS5 for Spiderman 2. Either:

PC: Remnant 2, or

PS5: Death Stranding

I also have Death Stranding on PC but want to use the Dualsense and also trophy hunt it.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Callisto Protocol (PS5)

This is the last game I will play from the PS+ Game Catalog, as my subscription ends on 12/18 and Sony has given me zero reasons to want to resubscribe.

I’m on the level after the snowstorm, and I think I might just be done. While it might be in the top 3 looking console games, its gameplay and narrative are just bad. So I might just be done with it and double dip Cyberpunk with its expansion.

Chronos24

Trying to finish backlog.
Final Fantasy 16- Game is gorgeous and enjoying every bit of it.
Totk- Still just exploring im really taking my time with it.
Lies of P- ugh I'm dragging this out as long as I can I absolutely love this gem.
Resident evil 4 remake- I'll be finally getting back to this I bought at launch but stopped when they announced VR mode so I'll be picking that back up Friday.

Duchess

Finally decided to drop Blasphemous 2. I got just past the Sea of Ink ... and then just had enough. The game just never really hooked me in.

Now playing Kena.

Lokaum D+

Nioh 2 - Ninjitsu build, but its so OP that u dont need to engange in game mechanics anymore, just spam feathers for a insta win, i ll respec my character tonight.

Naked Lunch

Metroid 1 SNES port - and Metroid 1 NES original [SNES and NES]
I finished both the SNES and NES versions in the same day(!). Still Nintendo's most hardcore game in my opinion, next to F-Zero GX. Super Metroid is baby difficulty in comparison.

There are parts of Metroid one in the Norfair/Ridley depths that are absolute videogame madness. The tiniest of platforms flooded with creatures galore out to send you to your death.
The abstract level design - the hidden areas - the glitches to reach items before you were "supposed to". The terrifying endgame Metroids themselves.
Complete with a perfect experimental soundtrack backdrop - and this was in 1986.

Infidelity's just released Dec 2023 SNES port is a fantastic celebration of all things Metroid 1 - all these years later. Please check it out if you have the means. One of the biggest (and best) retro re-releases in recent years.

Halo Infinite [Xbox Series X]
Season 5's Halo 3 Refueled playlist is a return to form of Halo mp fun. All it took was some all time great maps (with some very nice new addition surprises).
1 Flag High Ground - Classic Pit Team Slayer: this is the Halo I know and love.

bender

What time is it?
Almost S-Rank in F-Zero 99.

Just got to Mexico in Red Dead Redemption on PS5 (cue that wonderful music). The raft sequence perfectly encapsulates what is wrong with the game design as the game just throws endless waves of 3-5 enemies at you and overstays its' welcome 5 or 6 times over. Tons of braindead enemies is the majority of the mission design in the game which is a shame as the game has such a wonderful setting and a lot of strong characters in the cast.

Dead Cells currently. GOATED roguelike I can see why it is so highly revered. Combat feels very weighted compared to the other rogues i've played, parrying feels so good. I like that the game always keeps you engaged with upgrades or new weapons around every corner.

I plan to play Ghostrunner 2(my avi pic) later this month.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I decided to play some BF 2042 again. Doing Portal tonight, the Bad Company 2 maps are very active. Having a blast.

There is a squad on tonight that I've run into twice. I don't know if it's a new character skin or if they're using mods or something, but they all look like Joe Rogan. It's like they took a pic of Joe and plastered it into the game. And they're beat ass for real. One dude had like 50 kills in a single match they're out of bounds these guys.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
WWE 2K23, ran into an accidentally cool double-team moment. Steve Austin hitting Bruto Sammartino in the head with a chair and he rolls seamless into an AA from John Cena.

* chef's kiss *

Last edited:

Crayon

Another night I wanted something easy and cute. So I searched my library for the casual tag and came up with parkasaurus.

It was fun! But what's driving me crazy is you can play the entire game with a mouse pointer, except meeting r key to rotate objects you place. I'm playing with just a media remote and I need to very carefully turn the thing over every time I want to press r. I don't understand why there are on screen controls for everything but this. Actually, I don't think the zoom is on there either.

That shouldn't be a deal-breaker but hey - You know how sometimes you're looking for excuses to not finish a game you started...

The Stig

MGS1 (from that collection just released) ahh the nostalgia.
yes I know its inferior to the PS version (which I have on disc and PSN)

also

Robocop Rogue City
Great game

Am about to start like a dragon the man who erased his anme. mainly for daytona 2 (and i loved yakuza 0)

Callisto Protocol (PS5)

This is the last game I will play from the PS+ Game Catalog, as my subscription ends on 12/18 and Sony has given me zero reasons to want to resubscribe.

I’m on the level after the snowstorm, and I think I might just be done. While it might be in the top 3 looking console games, its gameplay and narrative are just bad. So I might just be done with it and double dip Cyberpunk with its expansion.

Callisto's gameplay can be enjoyable if you come back to it after a long break.

I f
I'm still playing and I'm close to the end (70-something on save, while the completion screen on PS5 main menu says it's 80-something), but damn, I couldn't help but feel that Spider-Man 2 is subpar in comparison to the first game

That being said, maybe I'm just being tired of the same formula? So I fully understand it might be a "me" problem

OP gadgets are one of the things, but I also think they dragged boss fights by requiring to defeat the boss 3 to 4 times in a row before finally winning the fight. While I actually enjoyed this on Final Fantasy XVI, here I was just dreading it any time it happened. Most of the encounters were recycled and forcing to do literally the same thing X times in a row, quite often in the same location

My other problem was recycled setting. I know that New York is a massive part of Spider-Man's identity, but come on... We already played on majority of this map in SM1, SM1 DLCs and Miles Morales. And of course there is also a matter of MJ's missions. I've played 3 of them so far and each weren't good. I thought people were exaggerating but man, they were awful. I would honestly much preferred to see scenes with Kraven showing fights with villains who were killed offscreen than playing these bizarre stealth / shootery levels

I agree 100%. They dropped the ball on
quite a few things. Even graphically which is crazy as everyone was expecting to be blown away. Too rushed or they spread themselves too thin. The map reuse thing def- I enjoyed playing in Brooklyn area much more.

Playing the new M2 ShotTriggers release of Dodonpachi Daiojou on Switch. Been waiting a long time for this after reading for many years its one of the GOATS in the bullet hell genre. It's indeed awesome but no better or worse than some of the other all time greats like Ketsui. Holy hell tho is it hard! There's also no time to keep a chain going.

Also playing Avatar and if you can stomach playing an fps at 30 fps on PS5, it really does look amazing.

Finally Alan Wake 2- really disappointed in the performance in ps5. Thought patches would've fixed the fps but nope. Otherwise I'm very engaged in this game tho some of the dialogue and voice acting from the female character is bad.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Back to Coral Island. Just focusing on building out my farm and trying to romance this adventurer woman who lives on a yacht. This was seriously not a 1.0 release, though. So much content is simply missing or doesn't function properly. Still, it's the best game of its kind out right now that isn't Stardew Valley.

adamsapple

This was the shit back in the day. Actually, resolution and FPS boost makes it palpable even today.
Time to mop up that one final achievement and 100% it.

TFasfvm.jpg

o8RqXiN.jpg

fkXA124.jpg

mBADpjt.jpg

Hot5pur

Mostly VR.
Haven't touched flatscreen games since I got it...kinda scary.
Feels like going from color back to black and white (I'm exaggerating).
Currently really into Automobilista 2, Elven Table Tennis and Barbaria.

Dazraell

I've finished Gothic Classic on Switch

Had a blast replaying it after so many years. I've picked Old Camp as a faction and I was surprised how many things I remembered since my last playthrough, which was about 15-17 years ago. I'm curious how upcoming Remake will approach various things as I noticed a lot of things which could be improved or refined. Things like adding more side content after completing Chapter 2 as we basically follow the main story after it, adding more depth by fleshing out the final quests like The Free Mine, Xardas's old tower, Sleeper's temple, etc

Controls on Switch are quite unique and specific with a brand new UI. It takes time to get used to it, but they work well in most of cases. My only gripes were that combat felt much easier and precise by using d-pad's than analog sticks and the egregious delay between hiding weapon and taking the next one, which can be very crucial and important during fights with enemies. Overall, it's a really solid port and you can feel devs spend a lot of time and attention to make it work

As for games I'm currently playing, I've started GTA III on Steam Deck and Gothic Playable Teaser on PC as I felt it could be fun to reexperience this tech demo after finishing the first game. I'm also planning to play Final Fantasy XVI DLC later this weekend

Duchess

Currently playing Kena.

Great game, really enjoying it. But oh my good lord, the bosses! I'm playing on Expert and they are Dark Souls level bastards! Often 3 or 4 hits and I'm down. That well-discussed difficulty spike is very real indeed!

This was the shit back in the day.
That was the first Bethesda RPG I played. I'll never forget that moment when you walk out of the dungeon and into the open world, seeing the land stretching out in all directions, and being staggered you got to explore all of it.

reektann

Paused my Cyberpunk replay to play Sea of Stars on the OLED Switch. What a great game.. I thought it would be short ish but here I am 40 hours later zooming about doing everything I can at what seems to be a point of no return. I don’t feel tired of it at all which is a great measure.

The animation is some of the best I have seen for this type of game and the soundtrack is ridiculously good. It looks absolutely stunning on the OLED screen as they do some great stuff with shadow and light making it feel like a diorama of sorts.

There are some little niggles with them being a bit mean with combo points in combat etc so to be honest I barely use any of the combos as I’m generally saving them for a mass heal - plus they generally hit like a wet fart when I try them. Because you don’t regen health and mp after each fight it makes you overly cautious with spending combo points so it’s a double edged sword as you can end up at a disadvantage or having to spend time eating and healing after the fact - just some QOL things they could adjust a little without having to enable some of the “cheats” that are available. If they do a Sea of Stars 2 hopefully they tighten that up a little bit to allow a bit more “fun” in the fights.

Will be in my top 5 this year for sure.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Game got boosted? Need to check it out

Yep, Oblivion and Fallout have both res and FPS boosts. Fallout New Vegas only got an FPS boost (720p/60 fps).

Skyrim already has a native new-gen version so no enhancements on the X360 version needed.

Currently playing Kena.

Great game, really enjoying it. But oh my good lord, the bosses! I'm playing on Expert and they are Dark Souls level bastards! Often 3 or 4 hits and I'm down. That well-discussed difficulty spike is very real indeed!

That was the first Bethesda RPG I played. I'll never forget that moment when you walk out of the dungeon and into the open world, seeing the land stretching out in all directions, and being staggered you got to explore all of it.

Kena is great - much better combat than I expected. I thought it was going to be an awesome looking but overhyped game, and it honestly delivered on everything it promised.

I am with you too, Oblivion was my first open world game and WRPG. I understand there were others, and Morrowind did a lot first. But Oblivion changed the game for the general public and is basically why we have these huge AAA releases. I happen to think it has some of the best quests in the series, even if the main story and gameplay mechanics didn't hold up as well. The Dark Brotherhood questline is one of the best I've ever played.

Paused my Cyberpunk replay to play Sea of Stars on the OLED Switch. What a great game.. I thought it would be short ish but here I am 40 hours later zooming about doing everything I can at what seems to be a point of no return. I don’t feel tired of it at all which is a great measure.

The animation is some of the best I have seen for this type of game and the soundtrack is ridiculously good. It looks absolutely stunning on the OLED screen as they do some great stuff with shadow and light making it feel like a diorama of sorts.

There are some little niggles with them being a bit mean with combo points in combat etc so to be honest I barely use any of the combos as I’m generally saving them for a mass heal - plus they generally hit like a wet fart when I try them. Because you don’t regen health and mp after each fight it makes you overly cautious with spending combo points so it’s a double edged sword as you can end up at a disadvantage or having to spend time eating and healing after the fact - just some QOL things they could adjust a little without having to enable some of the “cheats” that are available. If they do a Sea of Stars 2 hopefully they tighten that up a little bit to allow a bit more “fun” in the fights.

Will be in my top 5 this year for sure.

I love to see the Sea of Stars love. Definitely a much longer game than anticipated, at the end it finally started to wear me out a bit - but I did go for 100%.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Forza Motorsport 4 and Forza Motorsport (8).

It's hard to go back to 4 after playing 8 as driving feels so much better (GOAT on controller, no doubt about it) but at the same time it's hard to go to the new one because career is so lackluster compared to the old one.

Why we can't combine these 2 games? I'm going crazy.

Hohenheim

Currently enjoying Starfield. Finally got back into it after being totally hooked on Alan Wake 2.
Added a mod that really makes the colour and contrast pop, and its incredibly beauiful now. Felt a bit washed out before adding the mod.

Also a couple of runs in Slay the Spire on the Legion Go every evening. And also Boltgun. Best old skool shooter since Prodeus last year in my opinion.

Top Bottom