• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

When does RDR1 get better? I like John and am interested in his story, but it seems all you do is walk to mission marker, ride horse far away, kill a few guys and watch a cutscene. The world feels pretty empty and pointless to explore. It feels like there's nothing to do, at least nothing worth doing.

Majormaxxx

Finished my 5th or so playthrough of Uncharted 1, this time on Ps5. Had fun.

Now onto Uncharted 2. Again 5th time, but it's been many years since the last time. Quite a jump in quality and fun!

Yes, it feels like a ps3 game but still awesome.

Pimpollo818

When does RDR1 get better? I like John and am interested in his story, but it seems all you do is walk to mission marker, ride horse far away, kill a few guys and watch a cutscene. The world feels pretty empty and pointless to explore. It feels like there's nothing to do, at least nothing worth doing.
that's pretty much it on the gameplay side. I think if the aesthetics (music, VO) don't do it for ya, you're not gonna enjoy the rest of it.

Pimpollo818

Blood West
I've rolled credits and would like to share some thoughts. Firstly, I highly recommend this title, especially if you're a fan of STALKER and Betrayer. It captures that STALKER feel of scrounging for resources as you explore a hostile world, learn the new enemies, and solidify your general playstyle. I did find the game become weaker the stronger you got, so about halfway through the 2nd hub, I felt like I was breezing by. By the time the 3rd hub came around, I was left craving more survival mechanics (weapon durability, shopkeeper services to spend money on, perhaps some light item crafting since enemies drop so many resources) I still enjoyed myself in hubs 2 and 3, but by the halfway point of hub 2 I felt like I was the danger, not so much the world anymore. Heck, the game even awarded me a cheevo for not dying at all in chapter 3, which I think speaks to the game's difficulty and how it plateaus in chapter 2. I think harsher survival mechanics would have helped alleviate that feeling. I was frugal in my playthrough and bought a ridiculously powerful gun in hub 3 that managed to 2 shot the final boss. Pretty lulzy. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this dev and hope they keep producing excellent titles like this one.

TLDR: captures that STALKER feel, but left me craving harsher survival mechanics, more uses for money/resources, but nonetheless an excellent experience that scratches a pretty niche itch

Easily among the 3 best games I've played this year.

Dr.brain64

I just played soul calibur psp on ps5. It's neat!

maxresdefault.jpg

Fess

Baldur’s Gate 3 on PC and Xbox and Steam Deck. About 20 hours in.

The role-playing is extremely good and it’s amazing how many ways you can do things. Now I understand other rpg devs being scared around the release. Nobody can compete with this. Makes turn-based JRPGs feel like kids games, makes other western RPGs seem linear even when they aren’t supposed to be.

I can see why it’s loved but can also see why it’s not for everyone. It’s probably too hyped for the genre, lots of people who are not into these types of games will play it from hype alone, and some won’t like it.

For me the gameplay is a bit mid. It’s not as fun to play as I thought it would be. Fights takes too long and the dnd ruleset is complicated and at least early on boring for magic. As a sorcerer I feel like a really bad support character, usually out of spells lying on the ground somewhere. Idk maybe it’s better to play with other people but I’m a forever alone gamer so it is what it is. And I find the controls clunky. Using the mouse is perfect for combat and inventory but controller is much better for traversal. Swapping is not ideal. And can’t combine mouse cursor and stick on Steam Deck. Frustrating.
There is a WASD mod I need to try though.

Also playing Hollow Knight for the kids on Steam Deck docked to the TV. Played through it years ago, it’s fun doing another playthrough. I think I need to push it up on my all-time toplist. Can’t believe how perfect it is on game mechanics. Can’t wait for Silkong!

Last edited:

Dazraell

I've decided to wrap up The Reckoning expansion to Quake II Remastered. I had it started a while back and put it aside for other games. I just reached Unit 4 out of 5, so I'm quite close to the end

I like it, but it's not as good as the main campaign. The environments have their own style, but none of them stood out and felt equally memorable as Jail, Palace or Research Lab from Quake II. Weapons are mostly the same, with one notable addition which feels like a combination of two other weapons. Some of new enemies were quite cool though, especially the creatures in the cave areas

When I will finish Reckoning, I'm planning to play Super Mario RPG next

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
  1. God of War Ragnarok Valhalla (PS5) -- I feel guilty playing this for free. With an unprecedented level of high-quality content for a free DLC.
  2. Asgard's Wrath 2 (Quest 3) -- Very, very early, but holy cow!

[Sigma]

The Finals - Mostly quick cash matches.

Gran Turismo 7-doing more master license events.

Trying to work up the motivation to play Cyberpunk 2077.

KrisB

Finished Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name a few days ago. Really enjoyed it despite it being a much smaller Yakuza game. Really hyped for the next game.

About a quarter way into Persona 5 Tactica but not enjoying it much and playing lots of CODMWIII.

Last edited:

Södy

At what point are you in the game? There definetly isn't as much side content as in RDR2 but there are a few more varied missions along the way.

Mr Hyde

Continued on with Battletoads. The game has had a couple of really funny moments, especially since the Dark Queen came aboard. I was a little apprehensive about the humor at first thinking it was kinda cringe but fuck me if I haven't been laughing out loud during some of the cut scenes. I also encountered a new turbo tunnel sequence, this time it was quite challenging as you had to switch between X,Y and B due to different terrain, and as you were going faster it was pretty damn hard to press the buttons in the right order. It was never annoying though, the course was fun and I wanted to press through and make it. Turbo tunnels has been the best part of the game so far along with the chaotic brawling and silly, but fun story. The puzzles on the other hand are kinda boring and breaks the flow of the game. Pleasantly surprised with this game, can't wait to play more tonight.

Last edited:

sedg87

The Vagrant
I had this on my wishlist for quite a while and I saw it was on sale for something silly like 70p. I played for around an hour and so far so good. Beautiful art style and really solid combat.

Last edited:

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Bought Elden Ring for Xbox. Almost finished it on PS5 but with Erdtree releasing maybe in a couple of months Ive wanted to start over anyway. Still doesnt run flawless on SX.

foamdino

This week, just finished Cyberpunk (PC with path tracing) and Disco Elysium (PS5)

Disco Elysium is in my all-time best games ever list, up there with Dwarf Fortress. Cyberpunk I really enjoyed and technologically it's excellent, glad I restarted after 2.0 patch, and I was quite astonished by how they wrote the ending.

Going to try to close out Starfield (what a let down after these two greats) and maybe start my Cult in Cult of the Lamb (PS5). Itching to start warhammer 40k rogue trader, but it's my gift to myself for Christmas so I can only watch build guides etc

MikeM

Gold Member
Just finished RE Village on PC. Game ia fantastic and looks really good at 4k maxxed settings. Going through the Rose’s expansion now.

On PS5- God of War Valhalla mode. Absolutely slaps and i’m still amazed how damn good GoWR looks. Swear its my PC running it sometimes.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Finished: Alan Wake 2 - Final Draft (Top-tier GoTY contender, more people need to play this).

Currently playing: Popped up some Far Cry New Dawn on Xbox, FPS boost makes a huge improvement. Honestly, this shit is better than the Avatar game they just put out lol. More fun to play.

Next: Baldurs Gate will will be my holiday / January game. Nothing immediate coming out in January that I want to play day 1.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Just finished bg3 finally. Been playing on and off. Lots of things I like about it, lots of things I dislike. Somethings I use to like when I was younger that don’t anymore. 🤷‍♂️

One big thing as with most crpgs there are no respawning enemies. I’m just not into that anymore and it really kills the game for me. I just like to be able to boot up an rpg and do a quest or 2 or just battle for an hour. Being hard locked into levels and quests only is just really boring.

At what point are you in the game? There definetly isn't as much side content as in RDR2 but there are a few more varied missions along the way.

Not super far but quite a few hours in. I'm doing errands to get the machine gun with a bunch of throwaway characters that spend far too long telling me pointless stories on wagon/horseback while we gallop across the map. I was looking up some other posts asking the same question and supposedly the game gets better in Mexico so I am definitely going to at least make it there before deciding to drop it. I do like John a lot so that is driving me right now.

Kindela

Banned
Mass Effect Andromeda. Tried it in 2019 but didn't like it enough to finish it. Since I've been on a ME high after finishing the trilogy again recently, decided to give it another go.

It ranges from ok to pretty good. I like the game loop enough to keep playing after 40 hours. There's no highs like in the original trilogy, but the combat, traversal, loot, skills, planet design are all really solid. It doesn't blow your mind in any way, but it also doesn't do anything so bad to stop you from playing.

killatopak

Gold Member
Skyrim. Again. Had to redo everything due to AE and now a new cc store update. With it come relearning everything from scratch because a lot of mods are dumped due to AE bullshit.

Added a better survival and thermal mod. New perk systems. New spells. New crafting and alchemy. A new stealth system cause if I don’t I’ll be tempted to do another stealth archer. A dodge button and every quest mod known to man. Most importantly a Paarthunax mod so I can dump Delphine.

Didn’t forget to add steamy romance mods because I want to have actual children in the game. My children. With a fertility mod. I like kids but all of them only being adopted is restrictive to me. I want my Dragonborn lineage passed down to revive the Empire of Cyrodiil. Kinda makes better sense when I deal with Titus Mede. He knew the rightful heir of the empire is here so he can rest easy. Now I can recreate the amulet of kings. Rest easy Martim Septim.

foamdino

Mass Effect Andromeda. Tried it in 2019 but didn't like it enough to finish it. Since I've been on a ME high after finishing the trilogy again recently, decided to give it another go.

It ranges from ok to pretty good. I like the game loop enough to keep playing after 40 hours. There's no highs like in the original trilogy, but the combat, traversal, loot, skills, planet design are all really solid. It doesn't blow your mind in any way, but it also doesn't do anything so bad to stop you from playing.
I played Andromeda before trying the originals and to be honest I think the originals are fucking awful in comparison. So bland, boring corridors crappy "exploration" - I have no idea why this series is idolised by anyone.

Yerd

Aliens Dark Descent

I'm not sure what genre you would call this. Never played something like it. I think it's like a tactical type, a genre I avoid. Probably why I'm not familiar. But, this game is in realtime so I like it. It's been engrossing me enough to want to complete it. You have to manage your marine's mental state as well as resources.

bender

What time is it?
Blood West
I've rolled credits and would like to share some thoughts. Firstly, I highly recommend this title, especially if you're a fan of STALKER and Betrayer. It captures that STALKER feel of scrounging for resources as you explore a hostile world, learn the new enemies, and solidify your general playstyle. I did find the game become weaker the stronger you got, so about halfway through the 2nd hub, I felt like I was breezing by. By the time the 3rd hub came around, I was left craving more survival mechanics (weapon durability, shopkeeper services to spend money on, perhaps some light item crafting since enemies drop so many resources) I still enjoyed myself in hubs 2 and 3, but by the halfway point of hub 2 I felt like I was the danger, not so much the world anymore. Heck, the game even awarded me a cheevo for not dying at all in chapter 3, which I think speaks to the game's difficulty and how it plateaus in chapter 2. I think harsher survival mechanics would have helped alleviate that feeling. I was frugal in my playthrough and bought a ridiculously powerful gun in hub 3 that managed to 2 shot the final boss. Pretty lulzy. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this dev and hope they keep producing excellent titles like this one.

TLDR: captures that STALKER feel, but left me craving harsher survival mechanics, more uses for money/resources, but nonetheless an excellent experience that scratches a pretty niche itch

Easily among the 3 best games I've played this year.

Was watching Yahtzee play this earlier today:

Hudo

Aliens Dark Descent

I'm not sure what genre you would call this. Never played something like it. I think it's like a tactical type, a genre I avoid. Probably why I'm not familiar. But, this game is in realtime so I like it. It's been engrossing me enough to want to complete it. You have to manage your marine's mental state as well as resources.
I kinda feel like this falls in the same genre that Commandos and Desperados are in. Just that you seem to have your team more closely together all the time, where at least in Commandos, you tend to spread your guys out more.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Immortals of Aveum (PS5) is now beaten. Started about two weeks ago. Really wanted to get this completed before end of the year.

Overall, a real solid story driven shooter. I liked that it's not entirely linear too. Think like in Metroid you unlock abilities and can backtrack to previous places to find new sections to explore and gear to get.

My biggest gameplay gripes are that you can't filter the map to see only specific things (being able to filter to only see Shroudfanes for example) and you can't mark specific spots on the map and have an in-game compass help guide you there.

Took me 25 hours to complete on standard difficulty and did a good amount of side content. I would definitely recommend giving this a shot if you want to try something a bit different. It's a cool world they came up with. Too bad we'll never see another game in this universe again.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

BG3. Restarted again with a Barbarian to see if I enjoy it more. Ranger was meh, and decided to do explorer. Story is interesting but , yeah, don't know what to say yet. It's to early for me to criticize the game or praise it. I've only picked up Karlach. Penis B makes it funny running around the game naked and it flopping there is a glitch in camp where my dick gets cut off going to sleep and I just see balls. big big miss Larian!

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Ok I'm a couple chapters in Ada DLC and LOVE IT. Next weapon will be the shotgun I reckon. Hope they give you different outfits. I like the stealth.

I can't get past the cemetery/church part. Must be obvious but I CAN'T see an option.

a hint is welcome

Kindela

Banned
I played Andromeda before trying the originals and to be honest I think the originals are fucking awful in comparison. So bland, boring corridors crappy "exploration" - I have no idea why this series is idolised by anyone.
For me it's world building, atmosphere, story and pretty decent combat. There's nothing quite like it.

LostDonkey

I'm currently re installing GT7 after just turning on the PS5 and it's randomly deleted itself.

Wtf. Has anyone ever had this happen? I've had it installed since day 1 and it's just....
Gone.

Very strange.

Södy

Not super far but quite a few hours in. I'm doing errands to get the machine gun with a bunch of throwaway characters that spend far too long telling me pointless stories on wagon/horseback while we gallop across the map. I was looking up some other posts asking the same question and supposedly the game gets better in Mexico so I am definitely going to at least make it there before deciding to drop it. I do like John a lot so that is driving me right now.
Yeah didn't want to mention Mexico to avoid spoilers :D

Yes, the game gets way better in Mexico and afterwards. So far, the missions are quite boring and repetitive, I agree. They get more entertaining in Mexico.

GrayDock

Just finished FFXVI. It's a good game, with too much fetch quests for my taste, great combat, awesome soundtrack and so so ending... Will go for the platinum for reasons...
Playing GoW Valhalla at the same time and it's a blast! Highly recommend. But SMS need to fix Freya's face...

Roberts

So, I've been playing and enjoying Lies of P a lot. Chapter 10 here and I'm thinking about calling it quits. I love the game, but it is a bit too hard for me. The progress has basically halted and it takes around 40-50 times to kill every new boss and that is where it stops being fun. But it is OK, Sekiro was my GOTY of 2019 and I still haven't beaten the last boss.

I have been playing a bunch of Grand Theft Auto IV on Series S. It boggles the mind how awful every other version is in framerate and framepacing. Even the one downside of cut soundtrack and lack of Vice City FM is easily bypassed with Simple Background Music Player. It also helps that the driving controls are somehow tighter in the X360 release and this enhanced version.

*Not my captured footage.

So, I've been playing and enjoying Lies of P a lot. Chapter 10 here and I'm thinking about calling it quits. I love the game, but it is a bit too hard for me. The progress has basically halted and it takes around 40-50 times to kill every new boss and that is where it stops being fun. But it is OK, Sekiro was my GOTY of 2019 and I still haven't beaten the last boss.
Is it Door Guardian, Laxia, or Simon giving you grief?

Last edited:
Top Bottom