• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Mr Hyde

Soon to face Ridley in Metroid Zero Mission. Kraid was a pushover, but he's always been the middle man in the franchise. Been a great trip down memory lane so far. 2D Metroid is the best Metroid (although Prime is pretty damn good too).

Reactions: WoJ

Mr Hyde

Defeated the Mother Brain and escaped Zebes. Thought it was over and rejoiced over my amazing accomplishment, only to realize I forgot about the most boring and annoying part of the game. Samus in Zero Suit, getting chased around by Space Pirate assholes. Game went from a solid 8+ out of 10 to a middling 5 in the span of one second. What an anticlimax.

engstra

This month I've been playing GTA V for the first time. Just rolled the credits today. Had a great time with it, still holds up really well. Although for me Vice City and San Andreas are best in the series. They're just more fun and taking place in the past allows for more fun parodying IMO. GTA V humor and writing didn't really click with me, feels more like a reflection of reality rather than satirical.
Based on it still being played to this day, I'd always imagined that the game was full of stuff to do. So it was a nice surprise to discover that the map isn't the biggest and took about 60ish hours to reach the end. I think the only missions I really have left to do is finding all the UFO parts and letter scraps. Not really sure if worth it even if there seems to be some story content attached to it.
Hoping to see a lot more variety in missions for the next one.

Defeated the Mother Brain and escaped Zebes. Thought it was over and rejoiced over my amazing accomplishment, only to realize I forgot about the most boring and annoying part of the game. Samus in Zero Suit, getting chased around by Space Pirate assholes. Game went from a solid 8+ out of 10 to a middling 5 in the span of one second. What an anticlimax.

I really don't know what they were thinking. This concept is reused in Fusion and Dread, and I absolutely hate it. Annoying chase sequences that interfere with otherwise good games.

foamdino

Still chugging away at Warhammer 40k: Rogue Trader (pc). Just about finished chapter 2 (I think) at 60+ hours. Loving every bit of this, but I suspect I'll easily hit 120+ hours before finishing 1 play-through.

The boy has started GTA-V (ps plus) - he's now of the age where all his friends are playing it so I thought as a teen he could - I enjoy watching him play, but my god the language is awful. I can see the satire and the stories are decent, but I wish they'd tone down the language - I get that it's lampooning americana but as a non-american it's pretty tough to hear the sort of language all the time.

Nobody saves the world is still great, but I'm coming across quests that my reflexes are not cut out for, so grinding time to over-level those challenges...
Hogwarts Legacy - I'm about 60% of the way through the story and I'm hoping that the world doesn't scale all the way with you - it's annoying to gain power only to feel less powerful when fighting the enemies.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I recently finished Star Wars Jedi Survivor (which I enjoyed very much), tried Doom Eternal but I didn't enjoy it as much. I'm not sure if I'll continue.

Maybe I'd explore TLOU 2's No Return a bit more (not very much in the mood for high-stress gameplay right now), continue Neon White (2nd playthrough), or perhaps download one of Plague Tale Requiem or Evil West from PS+.

I'm not sure right now, and it feels awful lol.

CashPrizes

Currently playing (and loving) Last of Us 2 Roguelike mode, came out 2 days ago and I have all characters unlocked and am on the 5th boss.
Also mixing in Darkest Dungeon II, Baldur's Gate 2 2nd run as Durge on Tactician, just Beat Alan Wake Remastered so moving onto Control.
I will probably check out Diablo IV season 3 tommorow.

Last edited:

Duchess

Finished Dead Island 2.

Ultimately didn't enjoy it all that much. Final boss was total bullshit, too.

So, it's off to CEX with it today, to get £15 back! LOL!

Last edited:

Tarnpanzer

Currently RE4 Remake. John from Digital Foundry said in a video the Remake is fundamentally different in its mechanics compared to the Original. I arrived at the Castle and I really don´t get his point. There are a lot of changes sure, but this is still plays like the original RE$ in my opinion.

I hate that they removed the feature from the Orgiginal to get free ammo for your gun if you upgrade capacity at the merchant.

After finishing RE0 I shortly dipped into the Dead Space Remake but dropped it quickly because 30 minutes in the game decides to constantly have enemies spawn behind me. Hate that stuff…

So now I started my re-run of RE7. Haven’t played this one since 2017. Doesn’t feel that long ago. Time sure flies. Anyway, the game is harder than I remembered. Took me a couple of tries to finish off Jack and in general I’m dying quite often…

wa600

After ~114 hours I finally reached the added content from Persona 5 Royal. Which is really confusing, since this is almost 9 hours more than it took me to get through Vanilla. Actually thought I was going faster through dungeons and loading times are supposedly shorter as well.
That brings me to one of my main issues with the game. Its just way too long for the story it tells. I still got my ps2 memory card with the old save files. In contrast P3 FES took me ~59 hours (without The Answer) and P4 Vanilla ~61 hours (without the true ending, so there is a whole dungeon missing). Lots of dialogue in P5 that could have been shortened.

Biggest improvement over 5 Vanilla is the stealth mechanic. Hiding felt so clunky since you could barely move the camera, now it feels very smooth. There are other good small improvements, but also a lot of rather unnecessary (?) additions. I remember P5 Vanilla being somewhat challenging. Royal throws so much mechanics in your favor, its hard not to break the game. Never used any of the added broken DLC Persona the game 'forces' on you even though you just want new costumes. In Vanilla I ran out of money, here I could stock on items like crazy.
There is a 1 on 1 fight which I played on hard difficulty. Since the enemy did so much damage, I needed to put on buffs and debuffs. But I needed healing as well, so I could barely get a turn to attack myself. So what is the solution? Just cheese the fight using attack mirrors on Joker (who wouldnt buy them in masses when you have so much money?).

I've seen people hype up Royal like crazy and even though I am very curious on how the new story plays out, I am also kind of frustrated already. When Vanilla ended, there was one thing I feared they are going to do if a 'golden' version comes out and they are absolutely going that way
(bringing back Akechi and act like he is some kind of 'good' guy). I am actually surprised I never got spoiled on this.

Mr Hyde

Installed Daughters of Ash mod in Dark Souls. Since I enjoyed Seeker of Fire for DS2 I figured it could be a fun way to revitalize DS for another run. So far it's pretty fun. A lot of things have changed, so it's back to baby steps again. Excited to see how much of the game is different. The mod promised more content than the entire base game, so that should be fun to discover.

7 Years LTTP: Cuphead. I was intimidated before playing given people saying it was really hard and how I'm doing physically. Aside from my Steam Deck feeling like it weighs 10 pounds, i'm 25% through the game after 2.5 hours. I don't mind having to replay a stage 5-20 times til I get through it. The first two were the toughest on me.

Found some 1930s Disney cartoons at Goodwill today, too. So w00t to that. Tortoise and hare.

StueyDuck

I've finally gotten around to it and "finished" Alan Wake 2. Enjoyed the game but I don't know if I have it in me to do all 10 or so hours for final draft.

Is it worth it? Is the payoff worth it?

Or is It just a different end cutscene and may as well watch on YouTube

Fbh

Finished Hogwarts Legacy the other day.
Overall I really enjoy it. It's a fairly generic open world game but it gets elevated by the IP it's based on. Exploring Hogwarts was a blast and you can really tell a lot of care went into recreating the world of HP with some impressive attention to detail all around, the music was fantastic too and the combat was simple but enjoyable all the way through (making an enemy float then blasting them with magic somehow doesn't get old).

Went back to Strangers of Paradise which I had just played for an hour or so.
The combat and all the job variety is great, I'd argue the combat mechanics in general are way better than those in FFXVI.
The story is hilariously bad, it legit feels like it could have been written by Tommy Wiseau, I'm half expecting a "Oh Hi Mark" reference in every other scene. I'm actually looking forward to the cutscenes lol.
The only downside so far is that the presentation is horrible, coming from Hogwarts Legacy this thing literally looks like 2 console gens behind. If at least the Ps3 visual were paired with great IQ, high resolution and rock solid 60fps but it looks like 1080p with anti aliasing completely disabled and it doesn't even hold a consistent framerate.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Nearing the end of Gears 1 Ultimate. I gotta say, it really holds up more than I expected. Haven't played it since 2006 and I never played any of the sequels.

Every gun feels good. Active reload really feels unique when you're getting rushed by enemies. You feel the weight of the impact of your body hitting cover when you run up to it while under fire. Everything has weight, even your heavy footsteps. I am surprised by how many times I died. A cover shooter with sprints in between safety makes more sense when shots kill you very quickly. I do remember the art design being solid, and it is. Roman style architecture and detailed interiors, interesting lighting and yellow emulsion lava.

I do feel like I've mostly had my fill though, so I'm not sure if it will hold my attention through the rest. I'm going to try and play all of them this year to catch up. It's also easy to forget how many things Epic and Blezinski invented on this game. It has the slow walk and talk shit. It has the cover shooting. I don't know if mainstream game design has really moved past this much at all besides open world. This is the first cinematic shooter, but it's still very, very gamey with non-stop action.

stn

Went back to Strangers of Paradise which I had just played for an hour or so.
The combat and all the job variety is great, I'd argue the combat mechanics in general are way better than those in FFXVI.
The story is hilariously bad, it legit feels like it could have been written by Tommy Wiseau, I'm half expecting a "Oh Hi Mark" reference in every other scene. I'm actually looking forward to the cutscenes lol.
The only downside so far is that the presentation is horrible, coming from Hogwarts Legacy this thing literally looks like 2 console gens behind. If at least the Ps3 visual were paired with great IQ, high resolution and rock solid 60fps but it looks like 1080p with anti aliasing completely disabled and it doesn't even hold a consistent framerate.
SoP is one of my favorite action games ever. I do agree that the story is absolute trash, it was so bad that I skipped about 90% of the cutscenes so I could get to the combat faster. Once you beat the base game, I would highly suggest getting the DLC. It gives a proper end game and also some amazing weapons that really expand the combat (I won't spoil it but there are some fun surprises).

As for my update, I beat Dead Space (XSX). It was amazing but I played the hell out of the OG so there were no surprises. Next up I'm continuing Resident Evil 4 (XSX), which I've been taking my time with since I played the hell out of the OG, as well. I may also play Hogwarts Legacy (XSX), or Lords of the Fallen (XSX). I'm also considering TLOU 2 Remaster (PS5), but maybe not because I beat the OG late last year. We'll see.

Reactions: Fbh

Fbh

SoP is one of my favorite action games ever. I do agree that the story is absolute trash, it was so bad that I skipped about 90% of the cutscenes so I could get to the combat faster. Once you beat the base game, I would highly suggest getting the DLC. It gives a proper end game and also some amazing weapons that really expand the combat (I won't spoil it but there are some fun surprises).

Yeah the gameplay is really good so far.
In terms of gameplay my only issue is that just like Nioh it bombards you with loot. In these early parts I've just been using the auto equip feature though I guess later on in the game it will become necessary to spend some time in the menus actually making a build

stn

Yeah the gameplay is really good so far.
In terms of gameplay my only issue is that just like Nioh it bombards you with loot. In these early parts I've just been using the auto equip feature though I guess later on in the game it will become necessary to spend some time in the menus actually making a build
Yup. You won't need to make a build until you get to the end game, which is where the DLC comes in. I also auto-equipped my gear for my first play through.

Duchess

Warhammer: Chaosbane.

I just fancied an isometric slash 'em up / RPG.

The voice acting is absolutely fucking atrocious! :D

Last edited:
Nearing the end of Gears 1 Ultimate. I gotta say, it really holds up more than I expected. Haven't played it since 2006 and I never played any of the sequels.

Every gun feels good. Active reload really feels unique when you're getting rushed by enemies. You feel the weight of the impact of your body hitting cover when you run up to it while under fire. Everything has weight, even your heavy footsteps. I am surprised by how many times I died. A cover shooter with sprints in between safety makes more sense when shots kill you very quickly. I do remember the art design being solid, and it is. Roman style architecture and detailed interiors, interesting lighting and yellow emulsion lava.

I do feel like I've mostly had my fill though, so I'm not sure if it will hold my attention through the rest. I'm going to try and play all of them this year to catch up. It's also easy to forget how many things Epic and Blezinski invented on this game. It has the slow walk and talk shit. It has the cover shooting. I don't know if mainstream game design has really moved past this much at all besides open world. This is the first cinematic shooter, but it's still very, very gamey with non-stop action.

The slow walk radio talks are poorly placed, there are a couple areas where if you die you get to restart at the beginning of a corridor and it takes a couple minutes to get back into the action. And everything is shiny weird plastic with muscles. Those are the only legitimate complaints I can think of. The game felt incredible at the time of release and to this day is one of my favorite co-op games of all time. The pacing of the game is excellent, it's short enough to play over and over and it doesn't overstay its welcome.

Chastten

Banned
Just finished Atelier Sophie, Ender Lilies and Tiny Tina's Wonderland all in the last week or so.

Currently downloading Atelier Resleriana and eagerly anticipating Granblue Fantasy Relink, so my February is pretty much filled already as well :)

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Starting Pillars of Eternity 1. There are newer games I want to play but I'm trying to play this early in the year to space it out a bit. Might try and also beat part 2 in a few months if I like it. Character creation seems pretty detailed so far. I didnt expect 11 classes and like 10 races.

Roberts

Turnip Boy Robs a Bank - Pretty amusing sequel. If the first one was a spoof of old top down adventure games, then this one is basically a roguelike. Not very long and can be completed in a few hours.

Miasma Chronicles - I've played it before but never finished it. X-com style game but rather linear and with a focus on the story. It seems to be one-and-done kind of a game, because all the loot is manually placed so build variety is very limited, but I am really enjoying it for what it is - a relatively basic but pretty and fun turn based AA adventure game/rpg.

bender

What time is it?
Been on a Powerwash Simulator kick of late. I know it's kind of a weird complaint but some of the later levels start to feel video gamey starting with cleaning the Mayor's Mansion where you aren't allowed to open the gate and must clean the front of the mansion long distance. I figured I was missing something and Googled how to open the gate and it turns out you can't. That threw me for such a loop that I didn't realize that you could turn off the carrousel in one of the following missions until an achievement popped saying "finish the level without turning it off" which only made me more frustrated. lol

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Finishing up Alan Wake 2. I have to force myself, I feel like this is Remedy's worst game yet. It's no fun at all.

PoP Lost Crown. Killed the first real boss and got the air dash. Liking it but I'm not hooked unlike most metroidvania's. Dunno why.

shaddam

Started Graven after came out of early acces. I am in early chapter (?) 2 and love it so far. It is not for everybody and the game know this from the start

ZjwAdsi.png

Kindela

Banned
Finished Hogwarts Legacy the other day.
Overall I really enjoy it. It's a fairly generic open world game but it gets elevated by the IP it's based on. Exploring Hogwarts was a blast and you can really tell a lot of care went into recreating the world of HP with some impressive attention to detail all around, the music was fantastic too and the combat was simple but enjoyable all the way through (making an enemy float then blasting them with magic somehow doesn't get old).
Finished it a few days ago as well. It really is a generic open world game, but the game mechanics are so tight, presentation is excellent, music is great, and VA/mocap is really good at moments. I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed the game for the 50+ hours I've played it.
It also has you chasing better gear all the time, which is a dopamine fix my brain simply can't ignore. I've loved exploring, completing treasure vaults, bandit camps, puzzles, just because I knew I can get a better piece of gear. But this in itself wouldn't be enough had the combat not been so fun.
This is the type of combat I enjoy the most. It's simple, but you're still required to react quickly, and think of the different spell combinations if you want to be effective. It kept me on my toes constantly, even though it's still a bit too easy (even on hard), and the fact that you can chug potions like it's nothing does ruin it a bit. But the base is there, and I'm really looking forward to what they do with a sequel, if it happens.

Also, it shows how a good haptic implementation is insanely important for combat feedback. The basic attack in this game is so satisfying due to the nice kickback you get from the trigger. Every spell sounds completely different, and feels different. Unforgivable curses are different not only in the spell color, but in the way you obtain them, the sounds your dualsense make, and in the resulting scream and panic that ensues once you use them. They really nailed this part of the game. And that's true for every other "core" part of the franchise. They nailed Hogwarts, mounts, spells, music, atmosphere, everything's just screaming of quality and passion. That's probably why this is a 5/5 game for me even if it sounds basic on paper, and even if the story is kinda meh.

Can't believe this was made by literal whos of a developer, terrific job.

Last edited:

Roberts

Been on a Powerwash Simulator kick of late. I know it's kind of a weird complaint but some of the later levels start to feel video gamey starting with cleaning the Mayor's Mansion where you aren't allowed to open the gate and must clean the front of the mansion long distance. I figured I was missing something and Googled how to open the gate and it turns out you can't. That threw me for such a loop that I didn't realize that you could turn off the carrousel in one of the following missions until an achievement popped saying "finish the level without turning it off" which only made me more frustrated. lol
It gets even more absurd at the very end. And yes, I loved it enough to complete the thing.

Regginator

MGS V The Phantom Pain.

My first Metal Gear Solid, and from a gameplay point of view I'm having a blast. The gameplay loop is pretty monotonous and a lot of areas are being recycled, but the core gameplay of scoping out an area and sneaking around continues to be fun. As for the story, so far it's either batshit crazy or non-existent. There doesn't appear to be a middleground. Mind you, I'm relatively early in the game. Only just finished episode 12, left Afghanistan, and I think there are 50 or so main missions in total?

Last edited:
Dyschronica: Chronos Alternate for PSVR2. It's a Japanese Adventure game. Great stuff, looks amazing in the headset and plays like you'd expect it to if you're familiar with the genre (for better or worse).

Also chipping away at some Saturn titles.

What I'm really excited for is the PS3 Eye Toy I ordered. My plan is to soft mod the PS3 so I can access the debug menu and force 3D on. It will allow me to play stuff Like Resistance 3 in 3D via the PSVR headset and use the move controller for aiming. I'll probably get the Sharpshooter gun stock too at some point. Brute force VR 😎😅

Last edited:

amigastar

Just bought Fallout 4 VR. Is it any good or did i make a mistake by buying it?
Is the VR version with all content and features as the original or did they cut stuff for VR?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I recently finished Another Code and it took me around 20 hours to finish both stories....I really enjoyed my time with it.

Now Nintendo give me...
jKmGIgp.png

Top Bottom