• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Paltheos

Replayed Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim, on Nightmare difficulty (not in conjunction with Catastrophe mode though). According to Steam, the last time I'd played was on May 15, 2015, not too long after XSeed had released it on Steam.

I remember Ys VI being brutal and not particularly fair or polished, but I'd beaten literally all of Fromsoft's modern catalogue in the interim since the last time I played this game. "How bad could it be?" My memory was mostly off the mark. The game knocks you back on heavy hits and doesn't give you i-frames at all, except on initial contact, which can be troublesome for the first phase of the final boss who can ping-pong you from 0 to death, but the pattern is clear and avoidable. The boss of the Limewater Cave has active hurtboxes on his arms as they return to neutral but it's not that hard to avoid them and the volleys of insects (although I never did figure out the ground pounds) The Ruins of Lost Time level has a boss that destroys the platforms as you fight changing the stage to a slow/poison swamp and he has a chasing spin attack, but there is or should be (if you fight right) enough space/platforms to move away and his spin is telegraphed early enough to allow getting away without taking damage. The boss of Quatera Woods and the first boss of Kishgal both have instant kill combos, but the former's fire breath is signaled differently from his claw swipe and can be baited to target the other side of the screen and the latter's mortar barrage, while inescapable (as far as I could tell), is never used if you just fight him up close.

I think the only boss I didn't like is the Romun Fleet one - slippy-slidy and damaging floors don't mesh well with a playable character who advances with his normal attacks and a boss who has a hyper-specific hurtbox. Also the optional mini-bosses - especially the plant one in the northwestern corner of the woods near Windseeker Heights - after clearing the boss rush before starting the Nightmare playthrough and struggling with him more than anybody else due to the highly damaging, infinitely spawning mobs, I did not hesitate to cheese him from outside the arena.

Knockback/i-frame issues notwithstanding, this game's better than I remember. Exploring is fun and the game puts few obstacles in your way of going wherever you want (getting murdered hard in the process if you go some place early and get hit). Adol controls well, if not quite as well as in Oath in Felghana. The music is great, with a cross of flighty, adventure, arcade game tunes with some of the synth work you might expect from the contemporary GameArts - Solid work from Ishibashi, Hattori, and even Sonoda on the sound team. It does have a common issue of these games where the highest difficulty demands some level of grinding as you won't damage enemies if your stats aren't high enough and Nightmare takes it a bit too far, but I didn't mind the extra play time because the Ys games of this era are usually short and they're fun to just play (My first run of Napishtim was around 15 hours). I still rate Oath in Felghana and Origin higher than this one, but Ark's still my favorite Ys adventure.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Harley Quinn Eyes GIF by Xbox

Roberts

Brotato. Not a total rip-off of Vampire Survivors that I thought it was. Super important how you upgrade your character build. Not very good at it yet - the best I had so far was wave 19 but damn, it’s a blast.

On related note, from what I understood, Phil was so impressed with it, he arranged developers to make xbox port. True?

Gandih42

Just completed Tower of Latria on NG+ while going for all spells on a caster build for the Demon's Souls Platinum. 3 more stages to go. I'm really surprised by how much harder it is on NG+ compared to other Souls games. I feel like it may be because you don't get quite as OP as easily as in other games, but either it actually makes NG+ really fun in my opinion. The final boss of the Altar of Storms was a real highlight for me in the remake, the music, sound design, and visuals are just incredible.

Also finally got started on Xenoblade Chronicles 3 a few weeks ago, 35 hours in so far and completely loving everything about it. The whole setup with your party essentially being children make them and their interactions really endearing and earnest. Struggling to not get overleveled though because there is just so much stuff to do in the world. I also think they've landed on a really good 'Open World RPG' model. Even the more banal side quests feel more meaningful when you have to do some investigation and discussion in the party to discover them. And the hero quests are really well fleshed out and not copy pasted. Can't wait to push forward with the main story.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Also finally got started on Xenoblade Chronicles 3 a few weeks ago, 35 hours in so far and completely loving everything about it. The whole setup with your party essentially being children make them and their interactions really endearing and earnest. Struggling to not get overleveled though because there is just so much stuff to do in the world. I also think they've landed on a really good 'Open World RPG' model. Even the more banal side quests feel more meaningful when you have to do some investigation and discussion in the party to discover them. And the hero quests are really well fleshed out and not copy pasted. Can't wait to push forward with the main story.
Don’t forget to play Future Redeemed after you finish the main story.

Zheph

Already completed S3 in D4

About to move fulltime on Yakuza 8. It started well alto I feel its one of the heaviest entry in terms of dialogues/texts so far

Bond007

Not really stuck to any one game atm. Hit it and quit it games (GTAOnline, NBA2K, COD, FC) - real basic bitch of me.
Will unwrap the Last of Us 2 remaster soon and start that probably this weekend.

Dazraell

Still playing Oblivion. I'm playing with Obscuro's Oblivion Overhaul mod and it addressed quite well my past issues with removing level scalling. The game is much more fun to play without it. I also found the change with removing unlocked fast travel to main cities until you visit them as a much better way to play as it encouraged me to explore Cyrodiil and stumbling on various fun secrets I don't remember discovering on my past playthroughs years back

kether

Neo Member
Dishonored 2. Dishonored franchise is one of my all-time favorites, no thanks to it's game play though. I'm a stealthy bastard so majority of it is just strangling people from behind. Nothing too exciting about that. But just existing in that world is a blast. Wandering around reading books, documents, posters on the wall, listening to conversations the NPCs have, trying to find every bit of story and detail it has to offer. It's great.

Paltheos

Metroid prime remastered on steamdeck. Some aspects are timeless, some aren’t. Pumped for prime 4

Yeah, some elements of the design have clearly aged (or were never really that great to begin with but we just kinda rolled with it in 2002). If a Prime 2 Remaster does come out, I'm all over it of course - I think that game's aged a little better comparatively.

The Dude

Ever since I quit destiny I been able to really focus on some good gaming... Recently got the plat for Diablo 4, Elden Ring, Alan wake 2... Went back and just finished Bloodborne and old hunters for the plat, and now working on FF7 remake and prince of persia as my two main games.

Johnny2Bad

I just finished RDR1 and I'm now playing Metal Gear Solid 1. I played both of these games when they first came out and really enjoyed them. Now however, they're leaving a lot to be desired.

RDR2 really ruined RDR1 for me and I think it's a thousand times better. I got so sick of RDR1 that I stopped playing the side missions just so I could get through the game quicker.

MGS just seems so foreign to me now. I've been playing 1st person and 3rd person so long now that I'm finding it hard to get used to the overhead view. Plus the graphics are just horrible. I guess for $26 I can put up with it but I'm really itching to play some modern games again.

Yeah, some elements of the design have clearly aged (or were never really that great to begin with but we just kinda rolled with it in 2002). If a Prime 2 Remaster does come out, I'm all over it of course - I think that game's aged a little better comparatively.
The combat just isn't fun, the lock on stuff is eh. The scan feature is too much. The music, progression, and ambience is where it holds up. Also I'm pretty sure I got an xbox around the time of it's release and Halo CE was way more fun and made it feel dated.

Paltheos

The combat just isn't fun, the lock on stuff is eh. The scan feature is too much. The music, progression, and ambience is where it holds up. Also I'm pretty sure I got an xbox around the time of it's release and Halo CE was way more fun and made it feel dated.

Oh.

I was actually fine with all that stuff. The progression is actually one of my problems lol (you have to go through Magmoor 3 times after defeating Flaaghra before you can progress in Phendrana, for example). Too few bosses being the other big one.

I'm kinda surprised you're looking forward to Prime 4 then. I can't imagine allot of that same stuff won't still be there.

bender

What time is it?
I picked up Theatrhythm on PSN since the expensive edition was half off. I've "finished" FF1, FF2, FFVII and FFXV with the latter being my least favorites (some great tracks mixed with some that are pretty dull).

Fbh

Still Playing Stranger of Paradise.
Still love the combat, the boss fights have been pretty solid and the job system continues to be great. Last few levels I've been leveling up the Tyrant job which is really fun with the elemental angle, also first time I've been paying attention to the "fist" weapon and it's quickly becoming one of my favorites.
The "hard" difficulty also feels nice, it's not that challenging but you do have to pay attention as even low tier enemies can quickly fuck you up.

The story is still whatever though, it sort of shifted from being bad in a funny way to just being bland. And I still don't get why this doesn't run at like 4K/60fps given how dated it looks.

Last edited:
Reactions: stn
Stray on PS5.

Wanted to play this for a long time. It’s solid and all but man, again such a depressing indie game. Why so often this downer atmosphere?

JohnnyPhats

Stray on PS5.

Wanted to play this for a long time. It’s solid and all but man, again such a depressing indie game. Why so often this downer atmosphere?
I was just telling my cousin this the other day. Why does it seem like all the so called “high quality” games have to have this broody or horror shit to them. Can I have a high quality, gorgeous well made games with humans as the bad guys? Maybe a detective game or something like that. That doesn’t consist of 1372 varieties of brown and gray.

stn

I've been grinding the trophies and learning how to play Steve and Paul in Tekken 8 (PS5). Last night I started Granblue Fantasy Relink (PS5), it is great so far. Simple combat that works really well. I'll also probably continue Hogwarts Legacy (XSX) this weekend, about 5 hours in and it is quite good so far.

I was just telling my cousin this the other day. Why does it seem like all the so called “high quality” games have to have this broody or horror shit to them. Can I have a high quality, gorgeous well made games with humans as the bad guys? Maybe a detective game or something like that. That doesn’t consist of 1372 varieties of brown and gray.
Seems to be a broader issue in game development. If I wouldn’t know it better I’d almost say depression is rampant in the industry, especially when it comes to indie games. It just seem so weird to me that every time I grab a smaller game I am greeted with this mood…

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Dead Island 2: Im a few campaign missions away from finishing, but I’m more focused on doing side content, and unlocking some Legendary Gear. I love that Legendaries aren’t just some random drops, and there’s only like 7-8 specific Legenday weapons in the game. Makes them feel more special.

Gungrave Gore: I’m playing this as a mindless arcade quarter muncher for the visual spectacle - and I’m enjoying it so much more. Grave though looks like a middle aged man using hair dye to try and look young. I know he’s supposed to be a badass, but he looks like a dork.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Uncharted 4 fits the bill if you haven’t played it yet.

Crayon

I am having such a a stumble of a start with Tekken 8. No time to play and when I do I find myself preoccupied trying to connect to a character. But of course! I've only been able to play like 6 hours and I was coming off a long lull since I switched from T7 to ggst. I can only play 1 fg at a time, trust me. 6 hours was enough for the cobwebs to start coming off so I'm not worried about that. It's trying to focus on a character.

And back when I played T7 of which I probably played less than 300 hours for context, I loved the cast but somehow never had a character was mine. Asuka was a kind of weird mascot for me but I played with several characters and master raven was the most played. I think I'll start it up now and check out asuka and jun more closely.

Otherwise we are still taking the occasional big bite out of BG3. I'm kinda over it but my wife is in love with this game so I pretend I am too lol. I still have a great time playing and we're getting towards the end.

Kindela

Banned
And how every fantasy game has to be dark fantasy. Gloomy, dark, depressing, everyone's gone mad etc. I really don't have it in me to play such games after 8+ hours of work.

I'm playing Jedi Survivor right now and it's excellent. Also a good example of a "bright" game. The Empire is bad and all, but there's light hearted conversations, vibrant colors, people that are not mad and actually talk sensible sentences and you are not alone for 50 hours.
It also showed me again how linear games are better than open world ones. The feeling that you have no idea where the next mission will take you is so much better than knowing it'll be somewhere you most likely already visited.
Or they do a cop out like Hogwarts Legacy did and most main missions are underground where they can block you from entering beforehand, booo.

Top Bottom