• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

MagnesD3

My current rotation is Otogi, Majoras Mask, Resident Evil 6 and sometimes Super Monkey Ball.

Otogi has great vibes, a cool emphasis on breakable environments and an interesting Magic meter that has you constantly going towards death if you dont maintain it. Its been super neat to see this underplayed good from soft title, it even has an embilical cord lol. Should rap it up this week.

Majoras Mask is also almost done, I came back to finish after putting it on the back burner a couple years, I stopped due to getting distracted by something that didnt have alot of time wasting mechanics... its fun but its definitely the worst 3d zelda. Used a guide to to the side quests since thats what alot of people love which were cool, finished the stone tower (really liked the boss here) as well im very close to beating it.

Resident Evil 6 has been interesting, I really like its melee combat but its pretty crazy linear and shoves co op down your throat even more than Re5. Leons campaign was fun, Chris's had definitely been a mixed bag so far but ive heard he has the worst of it so it should only go up from here.

Monkey Ball has been my every now and then game due to its psychotic difficulty. My goal is to beat Expert sometime this year, beating 50 stages in a row is a big ask right now best is 21 but luckily according to guides Ive already beaten the hardest one so its a matter of learning them all at this point. Fun game but man is it unforgiving.

I also have Crisis Core to finish, Im basically at the end, I just have to spend a day finishing up the remaining side missions and beating minerva before the last 2 chapters but ive been stalling since I got burned out on the ridiculous amount of side missions, the story is also a bit weak even if I like Zach but Ill try to beat it this week, well see.

I have my sights on Obra Dinn and Pizza Tower after these tho. (Ill drop everything for Shadow of the Erdtree though if it appears).

liquidzr0

Neo Member
PC: Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty, Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, Hogwarts Legacy, Starfield, and Baldur's Gate 3
Steam Deck: MegaMan Battle Network 1, South Park: Stick of Truth, Legend of Zelda: BotW, Persona 3 Reload, Final Fantasy IV PR

My current rotation is Otogi, Majoras Mask, Resident Evil 6 and sometimes Super Monkey Ball.

Otogi has great vibes, a cool emphasis on breakable environments and an interesting Magic meter that has you constantly going towards death if you dont maintain it. Its been super neat to see this underplayed good from soft title, it even has an embilical cord lol. Should rap it up this week.

Majoras Mask is also almost done, I came back to finish after putting it on the back burner a couple years, I stopped due to getting distracted by something that didnt have alot of time wasting mechanics... its fun but its definitely the worst 3d zelda. Used a guide to to the side quests since thats what alot of people love which were cool, finished the stone tower (really liked the boss here) as well im very close to beating it.

Resident Evil 6 has been interesting, I really like its melee combat but its pretty crazy linear and shoves co op down your throat even more than Re5. Leons campaign was fun, Chris's had definitely been a mixed bag so far but ive heard he has the worst of it so it should only go up from here.

Monkey Ball has been my every now and then game due to its psychotic difficulty. My goal is to beat Expert sometime this year, beating 50 stages in a row is a big ask right now best is 21 but luckily according to guides Ive already beaten the hardest one so its a matter of learning them all at this point. Fun game but man is it unforgiving.

I also have Crisis Core to finish, Im basically at the end, I just have to spend a day finishing up the remaining side missions and beating minerva before the last 2 chapters but ive been stalling since I got burned out on the ridiculous amount of side missions, the story is also a bit weak even if I like Zach but Ill try to beat it this week, well see.

I have my sights on Obra Dinn and Pizza Tower after these tho. (Ill drop everything for Shadow of the Erdtree though if it appears).

Where do you get the time to play all that, especially all that at once? Damn dude - well done.

Resenge

I bought Guild Wars 2 at launch, made a couple of characters but didn't level them past level 12. Wow still had a big hold over me and no other MMO had any chance back then. I always planned to go back and play but everytime I did I would bounce off it within an hour. I didn't even leave the first area. I watched guides and couldn't understand how it worked as Horizontal Progression sounded terrible to me. What was the point if you couldn't get stronger with it each expansion?

I rejoined just before Christmas with a friend who had played since launch. He explained how the progression system worked and helped me push through enough and it finally clicked.

Guild wars 2 has a problem, it's difficult to explain to a MMO player with the Wow mindset just how it's not a Wow clone but something very different and unique. I dunno if I will stick around after I have unlocked all the cool as fuck mounts and beaten all the stories, but for now I'm having a blast. The world is so much fun to explore, I get get an Elden Ring map exploration vibe and rather than rush to end game, I am loving the journey.

Last edited:

Is Otogi 2 an improvement over 1? Also, you playing via Xbox BC? Been wondering if those games are worth $20/ea ...60 fps I hope?

LastBattle

I’ve had a bit of a break from games for a couple of weeks, however Ive been playing Spider-Man Remaster. I’m about 85% through, done most of the side content and nearing the end of the game.

It’s becoming a real slog to complete this game. Despite all the praise heaped on Spider-Man I think I’d rate it as fairly average. Can’t quite put my finger on it, but something feels…hollow. I can’t see myself doing any of the DLC.

Hoping MM and SM2 is better. Either way I need a prolonged break from Spider-Man once I’m done with the remaster.

Not sure what to play next, but I’m thinking maybe Mad Max or Dead Space Remake.

FunkMiller

Currently playing Yakuza Zero and Jusant.

Which is one hell of a fucking weird combination.

'Meditative examination on the subject of loss' & 'TITTIES and TATTOOS... YEEEE HAAAW'.

Both are excellent in their own very special ways.

MagnesD3

Where do you get the time to play all that, especially all that at once? Damn dude - well done.
I currently get alot of free time to play games since I only work Friday through Sunday. I also try to make it a priority to beat as many good games as possible in a year just because theres so much out there (I try to beat above 30 at lesst).

Is Otogi 2 an improvement over 1? Also, you playing via Xbox BC? Been wondering if those games are worth $20/ea ...60 fps I hope?
I have no clue, I just know its supposed to be good as well. Yeah I have the disks and am playing them on my Xbox One. I think its worth it, I really enjoy breaking stuff and the vibe, its a very simple Character Action game with that cool magic mechanic. Idk if they are 60 fps or not all I know is when too much stuff is broken in the area you are in and actions going on expect a chug.

Last edited:

Roberts

I’ve had a bit of a break from games for a couple of weeks, however Ive been playing Spider-Man Remaster. I’m about 85% through, done most of the side content and nearing the end of the game.
You are more patient that I am. I was kind of excited to try out all kinds of side activities but soon found out that they are too dull and interfere with my enjoyment of the story so I skipped everything and just did the main quest and called it quits. I think in the end it helped me to enjoy the game.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
  • Persona 3R. About 11 hours in. I'm enjoying it. This is the furthest I've made it in a Persona game before dropping it from boredom. I still have criticism but the battle system is great and the art style is generally top tier. Great UI as always.
  • Pillars of Eternity 1: took a few days off. Nearing the end of act 1. Great lore. Great setting and writing. Battle system is boring but its fine. Playing on easy.
  • Double Dragon Advance: revisiting this one on Xbox 20 years after its initial release. My memory didnt deceive me. Its one of the besr beat em ups around. Hard as hell too. Enemies are aggressive and flank you. Largest moves list for a DD game.
  • Go Mecha Ball: still doing a run every once in a while. Wish it wasnt a roguelike. The gameplay is phenomenal.

It really sucks you in immediately. I'm attempting to beat them both before Avowed. The world is pretty interesting so I'm happy with it so far.
It's one of those games in which the more you allow yourself to be taken into the world the deeper and better it feels - there's a great deal of worldbuilding going on with what feels like a rich background. Hope you enjoy them!

amigastar

• Persona 3R. About 11 hours in. I'm enjoying it. This is the furthest I've made it in a Persona game before dropping it from boredom. I still have criticism but the battle system is great and the art style is generally top tier. Great UI as always.
  • Pillars of Eternity 1: took a few days off. Nearing the end of act 1. Great lore. Great setting and writing. Battle system is boring but its fine. Playing on easy.
  • Double Dragon Advance: revisiting this one on Xbox 20 years after its initial release. My memory didnt deceive me. Its one of the besr beat em ups around. Hard as hell too. Enemies are aggressive and flank you. Largest moves list for a DD game.
  • Go Mecha Ball: still doing a run every once in a while. Wish it wasnt a roguelike. The gameplay is phenomenal.
I also loved Pillars Of Eternity 1 and 2. PoE1 made me read books again, that was back in 2015.

reektann

Finished Blasphemous on Steam - played it fully on Steam Deck. Really great 'metroidvania', I really appreciate the attention to detail on the animations and how weird everythin was - had a Dark Souls style vibe with some of the odd items and such. I will certainly be checking out Blasphemous 2 soon.

A friend bought me Fort Solis on Steam - played through in one sitting on my new Alienware OLED monitor and forced HDR using an ini as it doesnt seem to do it by default. I was totally in the mood for a 3-4 hour walking sim type experience and that coupled with scifi is totally up my street. Really enjoyed it and it had some very high production values with some very professional voice work, audio and motion capture. The video logs you find on computers are some of the most realistic I think I've ever seen - the eyes look incredibly real and they went out of their way with the animation, bothering to put small manerisms and things in there. It also looks ridiculouly nice on an OLED display as there are lots of dark areas popping with bright lights. Recommended!

fort solis video log

Check 45 seconds of this - i was really captivated by the video logs! Obviously dont watch any more than that if you dont want spoilers.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m at the last quarter of the new Prince of Persia and Final Fantasy V. Playing a lot of Tekken 8. I’m waiting it out till Rebirth.

Finished Blasphemous on Steam - played it fully on Steam Deck. Really great 'metroidvania', I really appreciate the attention to detail on the animations and how weird everythin was - had a Dark Souls style vibe with some of the odd items and such. I will certainly be checking out Blasphemous 2 soon.

A friend bought me Fort Solis on Steam - played through in one sitting on my new Alienware OLED monitor and forced HDR using an ini as it doesnt seem to do it by default. I was totally in the mood for a 3-4 hour walking sim type experience and that coupled with scifi is totally up my street. Really enjoyed it and it had some very high production values with some very professional voice work, audio and motion capture. The video logs you find on computers are some of the most realistic I think I've ever seen - the eyes look incredibly real and they went out of they way with the animation, bothering to put small manerisms and things in there. It also looks ridiculouly nice on an OLED display as there are lots of dark areas popping with bright lights. Recommended!
Blasphemous 2 is great.

Last edited:

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
PoP Lost Crown. This game is huge. Got the double jump back baby!

Picked up State of Mind for Xbox. It runs 60 on SX to my surprise. Played a bit but I like the presentation.

flying_sq

Days Gone, never got around to playing it, not that far into it, but man the story is actually pretty good. The gameplay is a bit clunky, but serviceable. I would suggest people play it. Still looks stunning too. Playing at 4k maxed out on my PC.

RAIDEN1

Recently finished Coffee Talk Chapter 2/Episode 2 , an okay chilled out game if you want a break from the usual hack and slash/fps genres ...though I have to admit towards the last two chapters I lost interest in what the conversations were about, but now thinking which of the two on Gamepass to go for: Jusant, or Black..

SpiceRacz

Gold Member
Castlevania Portrait of Ruin. I'm participating in the 2024 BackLog thread and I've been mostly playing through handheld titles I missed out on. Unsurprisingly, Portrait of Ruin is a damn good Metroidvania. I played through Order of Ecclesia before this and I can see hints of that game in Portrait, like how the game is split into smaller levels (the paintings) inside the castle.

I cannot recommend Blasphemous 2 enough. My favorite game of 2023 and one of the best metroidvanias ever made.

Which other Persona games have you tried?

Also, is Miku the cat in your profile pic? Super cute.

Yerd

Since humble bundle gave me Midnight Suns. I've been playing that. I knew nothing about this game, I thought it was going to be evil versions of the heroes, based on the cover image.

It annoys me how they force this day/night cycle, making the game artificially long because I can't just plug away at missions back to back. You are forced to do this sleep cycle at the end of every single mission.

Been playing FNAF: Security Breach with my kid, he loves it.

Made me rent the movie. I've never paid attention to the IP.

Lore and game is deeper than I ever thought it would be, he'd never be able to complete it on his own.

Just discovered Yacht Dice in Clubhouse Games switch. It's funnn and the CPU is dummmb :)

I'ma play the heck out of this online when we get internet back (long story)

That's my cat Kirby, thanks ♡

I've tried them all actually. Even the PS1 games. I like the style generally but just always found it boring.

Ah interesting, I wonder if you end up sticking with P3R if you'd have a better time going back to P5R given how similar they are to each other. Well hope you continue enjoying P3R regardless.

Playing Bloodborne atm for the first time. Bloody loving it.

Hell yeah. Which other soulsborne games have you played?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Ah interesting, I wonder if you end up sticking with P3R if you'd have a better time going back to P5R given how similar they are to each other. Well hope you continue enjoying P3R regardless.

I may go back to it at some point. But honestly this sells me more on Metaphor. I am more interested in the new IP now.

Been playing some PS3 games with the Move controller now that I have the camera again.

RE5 is great. This will be the only way I play the game from here on out.

Resistance 3. I forgot how good this game looks, it's pretty stunning. Move controller is good fun but can get wonky at times with turning. Shame this series never got it's narrative down.

Sorcery is good fun too.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I've been continuing my Amenita Design kick and played through Pilgrims last night. It's basically an adventure game, as Amanita Design is want to do, mixed with a card game. It was really delightful and it might be my favorite game of theirs. It's chock-full of their charming character designs, animations and humor. A play-through will take you an hour to an hour and half. I can't recommend this one enough.

I also finished my co-op play through of Dark Souls. I literally forgot everything about the ending of the game starting with the Duke Archives. I actually went back to my PS3 trophies to make sure I beat the game originally and sure enough I did. We've also tackled Bloodborne and DS2 so we'll be going through DS3 or Elden Ring (again) next.

I typically avoided From/Souls games because I heard they were hard but the sheer hype for Elden Ring made me buy it. I completed it and loved it and I had BB on my shelf for about 9 years so I decided to give it a shot. I love BB now too and have bought Demons Souls for PS5 and the Dark Souls trilogy on PS4. These games are addictive. Hard but fair.

I've been continuing my Amenita Design kick and played through Pilgrims last night. It's basically an adventure game, as Amanita Design is want to do, mixed with a card game. It was really delightful and it might be my favorite game of theirs. It's chock-full of their charming character designs, animations and humor. A play-through will take you an hour to an hour and half. I can't recommend this one enough.

I also finished my co-op play through of Dark Souls. I literally forgot everything about the ending of the game starting with the Duke Archives. I actually went back to my PS3 trophies to make sure I beat the game originally and sure enough I did. We've also tackled Bloodborne and DS2 so we'll be going through DS3 or Elden Ring (again) next.
Coop is Souls is so much fun. I've yet to try Dark Souls in coop but that'll probably be the next one my buddies and I tackle.

MagnesD3

Been playing some PS3 games with the Move controller now that I have the camera again.

RE5 is great. This will be the only way I play the game from here on out.

Resistance 3. I forgot how good this game looks, it's pretty stunning. Move controller is good fun but can get wonky at times with turning. Shame this series never got it's narrative down.

Sorcery is good fun too.
I enjoy the story of Resistance Fall of Man but its the only Resistance game im really into the others are way weaker gamplay/design and story wise imo.

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
a0VIdHm.png

These three have been a really good mix to jump between.

I enjoy the story of Resistance Fall of Man but its the only Resistance game im really into the others are way weaker gamplay/design and story wise imo.
Absolutely. I loved the alternative WWII aspect and I wish they would have delved deeper into that. Axis/Allies type stuff, have some countries form an alliance with the Chimera. Could have been a beefy narrative. The first game and Retribution on PSP were the strongest narratives IMO. I think Grayson is the main guy in PSP, he's an awesome character. Shame that game never got a PS3/4 remaster.

MagnesD3

Absolutely. I loved the alternative WWII aspect and I wish they would have delved deeper into that. Axis/Allies type stuff, have some countries form an alliance with the Chimera. Could have been a beefy narrative. The first game and Retribution on PSP were the strongest narratives IMO. I think Grayson is the main guy in PSP, he's an awesome character. Shame that game never got a PS3/4 remaster.
I'll have to check out the PSP one then, I've only beaten 1-3.

I'll have to check out the PSP one then, I've only beaten 1-3.
It's great. You can even link it to the PS3 if you have Resistance 2, and "infect" the game. The main guy gets infected like Hale and allows him to breathe underwater and access optional spots and you also get regenerating health. Can also be linked with a DualShock3 for dual analog but I prefer standard controls. It's a third person cover shooter and seems designed with the auto-aim in mind.

Top Bottom