• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Fess

g0XqlKD.jpeg
Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree
It’s fantastic. Not as dense in content as the base game though, and much more focused on traditional dungeons, but I see no reason to play anything else for awhile now. Peak of gaming 👌

Beat the scorpion centipede thingy boss last night. Doing the castle now.
Worst boss so far has no doubt been Messner for me, second phase was brutal at first but eventually I found out the fast snake attacks could be dodged. Sucks that I beat him tbh since I found out he ended some npc quests. Guess I need to do a second playthrough.
Anyway, I had some issues with a catacomb knight boss too which used lightning and kinda just juggled me to death. And another catacomb knight boss that drained my health to heal himself, usually when I was close to beat him… verrry annoying

Psychostar

Playing Cyberpunk from start for the nth time.
Corpo/netrunner but i also use shotguns and melee because the idea of a bulking nerd full of rage is funny to me.

When im bored i switch to Rise of the Ronin for a few missions.
Man I don't know what it is, but I've had Cyberpunk installed for months, and can't get myself to play through it.

Psychostar

(no spoilers)

Finished FF7 Rebirth. I absolutely fucking loved it. Very likely to be the best game I'll play this year. Looking forward to the final part.

Played it on dynamic, as I found some of the battles were too easy. Later bosses really pushed me, but it was satisfying to beat them all in the end.
Do give the hard mode a try. I found it just as fun to be honest although you will find yourself looking up some build help for a situation or two haha.

Toots

Gold Member
Man I don't know what it is, but I've had Cyberpunk installed for months, and can't get myself to play through it.
The game is closed off until after the Konpeki heist. Its a long prologue and can seem tedious but once you're done the game opens up and become one of the best i ever played.
If you like scifi books, try to read Neuromancer or anything by William Gibson. He was the originator of many of the concepts you can find in cyberpunk (both tabletop and video game iterations). In Neuromancer, you find Cyberdecks, netrunners, engrams, transhumanism, rogue AIs, and even Night City itself !
Read the book, and try the game again it might be more enjoyable with all the references !
I hope you'll finally click with it because it really is something else.

Psychostar

Do you play First Person Shooters?
I think you just hit the nail on the head. I haven't played a first person shooter in forever (not counting High on Life as that got boring fast). I think the last I played to completion was Borderlands 3? I play overwatch on the side but I won't count that as an FPS lol. I know the quality of the Cyberpunk now is meant to be great and I have an RTX 3080 to play it on, I need to take a sick day off work and just dive into it.

Psychostar

The game is closed off until after the Konpeki heist. Its a long prologue and can seem tedious but once you're done the game opens up and become one of the best i ever played.
If you like scifi books, try to read Neuromancer or anything by William Gibson. He was the originator of many of the concepts you can find in cyberpunk (both tabletop and video game iterations). In Neuromancer, you find Cyberdecks, netrunners, engrams, transhumanism, rogue AIs, and even Night City itself !
Read the book, and try the game again it might be more enjoyable with all the references !
I hope you'll finally click with it because it really is something else.
Thank you mate. I'm big on Sci Fi and these concepts are not new to me although a good book recommendation is always appreciated!

amigastar

Just played uncharted legacy of thieves collection, graphics still are great, don't really know about the rest i've only played 40 min so far. But it looks cool.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Finished I am Setsuna:

The Good:
-Nostalgic feel capturing classic JRPGs
-Beautiful winter setting.
-Beautiful soundtrack.

The Bad:
-Limited enemy variety and similar dungeons.
-Lacks deep character development and side quests.
-Predictable story that lacks surprising twists.

Overall it was okay.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Titan souls

Its pretty chill/ambient, but also challenging. I can't recommend it to folks who aren't open to tough games. Defeated about 14 unique bosses thus far. The environmental story telling through cryptic murals and landmarks is a neat touch.

Currently, in the middle of a no-rolling playthrough which gives minimal room for error.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Just played uncharted legacy of thieves collection, graphics still are great, don't really know about the rest i've only played 40 min so far. But it looks cool.
Imo the first game is by far the weakest of the bunch. Uncharted 2 made a big jump in quality in all fronts, it's great, and the 3rd one is good too bar some pacing issues.

bender

What time is it?
Bouncing through a lot of games lately.

Game Pass:

Neon White - I bought this on Steam back when it first released due to all the hype and while I can see the appeal, it just didn't click with me. I also found the story and characters aggressively annoying. Giving it another go on Xbox and nothing has really changed my mind.
Still Wakes The Deep - Great voice acting aside, this game is terrible which isn't surprising coming from the Chinese Room. The story isn't all that interesting and no tension to the game play that breaks up the bog standard "walking simulator" sections in the game.
Tchia - I really want to like this game as it seems to have a lot of heart but it's one of those games that the sum is lesser than the parts.
The Case of the Golden Idol - Speaking of games that I should really like. I love the retro 2D adventure game look and I appreciate the narrative based puzzle elements, but the escalation of the game play loop just being more characters to identify and more clues to decipher left me feeling tedium more than having a rewarding experience

Deck:

Duke Nukem 3D 30th Anniversary - Someone mentioned it in another thread so I had to boot it up and play a few levels. I love the first act so much.
Return to Castle Wolfenstein - Speaking of old friends, I had the itch to play this gem again too.
Halls of Torment - Finally played through the last two levels and am still unlocking characters. It's Diablo 1/2 meets Vampire Survivors and is probably my second favorite of these types of games.
Stephen's Sausage Roll - The Dark Souls of puzzle games. That also greatly undersells how difficult this game is.
Intravenous - STOP FUCKING TALKING. I think this is akin to Hotline Miami but it will not shut the fuck up. It's also has readability issues on Deck.

What the hell is this and how did it get in my Steam library?

Bit Blaster XL - Single screen, endless shmup. There is nothing really inspired about this but nothing wrong with it either. Kind of surprised with it having Overwhelming Positive review score on Steam.
Scrap Garden - Clunk platformer that has to be a student project. Props to the main character being a robot.
Grav - Supposed to be a sandbox exploration game. Everything was going well until it asked me to press F1 which I couldn't figure out how to do on my deck.

Switch:

Tetris 99 - Finally got a Tetris Invictus win. It didn't take that many attempts and it appears most games are filled with bots. Got a few Tetris Maximus wins as well.

PS5:

Summoner - I got this game confused with something else as I forgot this was a Volition game (maybe Eternal Ring). I bounced off it pretty quickly as it is super clunky. I believe the sequel is a lot more interesting but that's probably rose tinted goggles.
Crisis Core - Game play seems pretty fun but my god is the voice acting awkward. I'm not sure I'll stick with this as I instantly felt guilt for not finishing FF7:Remake nor spending anytime with Rebirth.
R&C: Size Matters - Seems solid enough for a PSP game and I haven't played it since the initial release. Something about the FOV or camera control is making me feel extremely claustrophobic.

Crayon

I'm deep into rebirth now and it is fucking glorious. I'm sort of stomping through fights but may as well enjoy the stroll before the hard mode run begins. I mentioned before the start was shaky but it just kicks all ass now. What a streak of great releases lately.

Last nite though, I didn't want to get into a whole sesh because I was already tired enough to fall asleep and didn't want to end up going till midnight. So I popped in D&D tower of doom. Lots of fun, of course.

But will someone please tell me how the top comes off of this saturn virtua stick. Fuck, it's driving me crazy. I tried holding the screw inside and twisting the top off the stick but I don't think that's how it's on there. I was trying incredibly hard to turn it. I doubt it's screwed on that tight. Oh isn't there a saturn thread?

Bernardougf

Working my way through the Licenses in GT7 ... and the S4 is kicking my ass for that gold trophy time ... god damn .. have to shave off .278 of my time and for the life of me dont know what the fuck more to do. Shit.

amigastar

I have to clean my PC first before returning to UNCHARTED™ Legacy of Thieves Collection. It gives me 91 degrees on my CPU which is a bit high so i have to clean it first.
Other games are cooler though so it's an Uncharted thing.

Last edited:

Muffdraul

About a week ago I finished Luigi's Mansion 2 HD, which I was really looking forward to playing, was never able to do more than an hour or two of Dark Moon on 3DS because it's so hard for me to get into handheld stuff. After Luigi's Mansion 3 was so fucking great, I tried it again but still couldn't get into it. I started praying to the Norse and Egyptian gods that Nintendo would someday port Dark Moon to Switch, so I was pretty stoked! Sadly, I found LM2HD to be kinda sucky, so I finished it as quick as I could and went to replay LM3, which took a week. It was as rad as I remembered, but the two final bosses were so aggravating that I need a cuddly old comfort food game to soothe my soul... so I just started a new file of GTA4.

Roberts

Finished Dark Forces Remaster. Not really for nostalgic reasons as it is a game I barely remember playing (I'm 100% sure never got past the first mission) back in the day, but just because I felt like playing a retro fps. It doesn't have that timeless quality Doom has and some of the art and level design hasn't aged well at all, but I ended up enjoying it in that 7/10 way. There are three or four missions that actually require you to use your brain and stormtroopers have never ever been this accurate. The best thing about the game is that I kind of made me want to revisit the OG trilogy movies.

Checked out Avatar - free this weekend on xbox. Not played enough to see if I ever want to pay for it, but it looks pretty. Also, played a bit of Flintlock and Dungeons of Hinterberg and enjoyed them both. Will definitely try to finish both.

lachesis

Gold Member
It's been so hot, so I needed something to chill... so finally picked up Resident Evil Village!
Just finished the castle part and moved onto doll mansion part.

Generally enjoying it very much, but having some mixed feelings. I did enjoy somewhat grounded setting and feel of RE7 better - than somewhat weird remote European village who seem to live like early 1900s... (That was my biggest gripe of RE4, but the game was so good - I didn't really mind much). RE7 to RE8 jump feels a bit weird, especially it's a direct continuation from 7.

I am playing in 3rd person view as I always get so motion sick with 1st person view... so it's been much more manageable. But I find I have hard time picking up stuff, as often it doesn't recognize button pressing, or taking long time to open drawers etc. Other than that - the system itself does remind me much of RE4, so I am hoping good things. (And will be playing RE4 Remake after finishing this game).

BigLee74

Still Wakes The Deep - great setting, truly top drawer. Very basic and boring gameplay however. I did complete it, but meh.

The Callisto Protocol - nice graphics, and I was sucked in big time at the start thinking I’d stumbled on something better than Dead Space. It’s not. Got stale towards the end but I ploughed through.

Neon White - I’m liking this (but am fast forwarding through the story - my god I don’t have time or patience for that shit, just let me play the game).

amigastar

Last Epoch - i like it, can't really compare it to Diablo 4 since i have not played Season 4 or anything for very long, i finished the campaign in D4 but that's it.
But Last Epoch is up there with other good ARpgs so far.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
After a few years, I've picked back up the FF7 Remake. I left off somewhere in chapter 9 and I'm now on chapter 12. I think I might hate this game. The combat just feels tedious and the pacing is all over the place. If the combat in Rebirth plays the same, I might skip it all together.

Still Wakes The Deep - great setting, truly top drawer. Very basic and boring gameplay however. I did complete it, but meh.

The Callisto Protocol - nice graphics, and I was sucked in big time at the start thinking I’d stumbled on something better than Dead Space. It’s not. Got stale towards the end but I ploughed through.

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

After a few years, I've picked back up the FF7 Remake. I left off somewhere in chapter 9 and I'm now on chapter 12. I think I might hate this game. The combat just feels tedious and the pacing is all over the place. If the combat in Rebirth plays the same, I might skip it all together.

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg
I enjoyed ff7 rebirth more than ff7 remake. Its much more open world, lots of exploration with reward for exploration, and a better story. Its just a better game in my opinion. The cutscenes and variety of gameplay is much different than the previous game. Tons of mini games keep things fresh.

It felt like an old school jrpg.

You may not like it as everyone's opnion is different. I suggest trying the free demo.

I am playing it now as i rented it.

Duchess

Still on Prince of Persia : The Lost Crown

Hmm, it's a good game, but one that needs a few quality of life improvements. The inability to fast travel from any tree means you have to often traipse long distances to get to a teleporter, trying not to die along the way. Some of the later game enemies I find very annoying, too, and make an effort to just run past them. I also really dislike using analogue controls in 2D games. It feels so wrong.

Boss Man

I bought a 3DS on ebay and I’ve been playing through a huge catalog of DS and 3DS games that I never had a chance to play before.

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass is what I’m playing right now.

It’s a proper Zelda game, I’m having a blast with it. Nintendo is so good with console gimmicks, I’m kind of bummed that Switch 2 isn’t likely to have any. I’m glad I have access to the patch that lets you use the D-pad for Link’s movement though.

Last edited:
I bought a 3DS
I am so grateful that the Wii/DS/3DS generation was one I did not miss. Street pass was wonderful. Hanging out at my university and challenging random people locally in smash bros. Even the Wii U created so many fond memories with my family. It was just a joy to play all these unique games when they were new. These particular systems are probably the only ones of which I will never return, because I actually got to experience them in full.

CSJ

For the first time in my life I'm just not able to stick to any game and finish very little, but it's just real life getting me down, this month I've tried.

- FFXIV Dawntrail- Zzzzzzzz
- Nobody Wants to Die - Finished this one.
- Once Human
- First Descendant
- Overwatch 2
- The Surge 2
- Outcast a New Beginning
- Hitman World of Assassination
- Company of Heroes 3
- Homeworld Remastered in hopes to get back into the Story for 3.
- Dying light 2
- Watchdogs Legion
- Star Trek Online
- Fallout 76
- Pacific Drive
- Destiny 2: Final Shape
- Helldivers 2

I just, not having a good time right now and it's making gaming just so fucking boring, I can't go outside and do anything due to care commitments and not really in the mood for TV/Movies.
I do like big AAA games with a decent story and gameplay loop, I've been eyeing Avatar but I need to trial it before I buy and they only do that on console and not PC.

Looking forward to Star Wars Outlaws, Stalker 2, Warhammer 40k Space Marine 2, Life Is Strange, AC: Shadows, etc, you know all of that.
Going to be a long month....

Not Played Witcher 3 properly, only a few hours in every time, maybe I should try that?

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Recently finished The Alliance Alive HD and enjoyed it. Wasn't a great game, but had some elements of an old school RPG feel. Now I'm doing Chained Echoes and I'm enjoying this also.

Have some more JRPGs after this I want to finish before the end of the summer before I move on to other genres.

Dr. Suchong

ZZZ
Combats fun.
Other than that, I've no idea what the fuck is going on.
Picked up Remnant 2 for a mere £8 on SX
Underwhelming graphically but a lot of fun like the first.
Trying to grit my teeth and just get Kiwami finished, but it's definitely the weakest Yakuza game I've played. Majima everywhere is just fucking annoying.
I've heard Kiwami 2 is much better.

bender

What time is it?
I enjoyed ff7 rebirth more than ff7 remake. Its much more open world, lots of exploration with reward for exploration, and a better story. Its just a better game in my opinion. The cutscenes and variety of gameplay is much different than the previous game. Tons of mini games keep things fresh.

It felt like an old school jrpg.

You may not like it as everyone's opnion is different. I suggest trying the free demo.

I am playing it now as i rented it.

I already own Rebirth. :p

I'm on Chapter 17 of Remake now and it is fucking torture. It's been a long time since I played the original but I don't recall a lot of the shit that Remake is throwing at me. Beyond the visuals and music, everything in this game ranges between terrible and tedious. I have no doubt Rebirth is the better game, but if the combat is similar, I don't think I'll invest my time. I'm just not enjoying it at all. Hopefully the partner AI is better.

Now back to this miserable slog.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
I just finished my first Atelier game, Atelier Ryza 1, and I have some thoughts on it. While the crafting/alchemy part is great, the game’s balance and RPG elements are seriously off.

First off, I beat the final boss at level 34, which seems way too low. It felt like the game wasn’t balanced properly.

The combat feels like it was thrown in because it had to be there, not because it was meant to be a core part of the game. The main focus is clearly on crafting and gathering, which are done really well. But the RPG elements? Not so much. They feel like an afterthought and don’t get the same level of attention.

The story, characters, and world are all charming and fun, but the RPG mechanics and unbalanced combat take away from the experience. If you’re looking for a well-rounded RPG, this might not be it.

I got both Ryza 1 and 2 on sale and haven’t started the second one yet. I’m not sure if it’s going to be any different or more of the same.

Humdinger

Just finished Indika. I'm not sure what to think.

On the one hand, the game is unusual and inventive. It has unique puzzles, nice 2-D pixel art levels that break things up, strange characters and some cool imagery. The setting is stark, with most of it in black and white (or at least feeling like it). It attempts to address some weighty philosophical issues, such as faith, free will, the will of God, and faith healing. You have a demon (?) whispering in your ear during the game, and it's not clear whether she's nuts ala Senua in Hellblade or whether the game is presenting it as a spiritual reality. In addition, there is a pointless point system, and there are moments when prayer helps you navigate environments. It's a bizarre game, not run of the mill. All of that is to its credit.

On the other hand, the game felt dissatisfying in a way I can't put my finger on. Maybe it's because the story didn't wrap up with any sort of clarity. It just ends abruptly. Maybe it's because the issues I mentioned (free will, faith, etc.) aren't explored in any depth but rather just tossed out there in a jumble. They raise the question, but then they don't do a whole lot with it. Maybe I would get more out of it on a second run, but my first just left me scratching my head, wondering what the hell that was about and what they were trying to say. It didn't cohere, at least for me.

So, I have mixed feelings about it. It's a very inventive, strange game, but it didn't quite gel for me, and I'm not sure why.

The combat feels like it was thrown in because it had to be there, not because it was meant to be a core part of the game.
Welcome to the Atelier series.

My first was Rorona and I have felt this way with every game. Ryza combat is particularly egregious since it is not strictly turn-based.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I finished Final Fantasy VII Remake!!!

You know how it is common to make fun of Twin Snakes for the reworked, over-the-top cutscenes? FF7:R is that in distilled form, turned up to 11, and infected through the game design and story. It all feels so clumsy, but I can see why someone might like the combat. I fucking hate this game. A little shocked you can't play as Red XIII.

I'm going to go drink...a lot...and try to forget.

Terranigma on the SNES. Action RPG like Secret of Mana and similar titles. It's a bit vague in telling you where to go or what to do and it's not very difficult but it's been fun overall. Cool concept a nice soundtrack.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Bouncing through a lot of games lately.

Game Pass:

Neon White - I bought this on Steam back when it first released due to all the hype and while I can see the appeal, it just didn't click with me. I also found the story and characters aggressively annoying. Giving it another go on Xbox and nothing has really changed my mind.
The story of Neon White is crap and cringe. But the gameplay is absolutely 10/10 amazing. I'd recommend focusing solely on that and literally just skipping all the dialogues that are usually only at the beginning of each chapter.

The real rush of this game is to get the Ace medal in every level. It's SO. MUCH. FUN.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m currently finished 3rd chapter of Jeanne D’Arc….LOVING this game, I miss when Sony used funding this type of games more often.

RPS37

Just finished Hellblade 2 (XSX) then Ghost of Tsushima (PS5)
Now playing Cyberpunk 2077 (XSX), Neon White (XSX) and A Short Hike (XSX)
Might start Breath of the Wild soon tho too.

Top Bottom