• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Finished Starfield but still working on side quests and powers on and off...

Started Robocop Rogue City last night on the ROG Ally and had a blast with that so far (literally) - so much better than I was expecting. Think Red Dead next, or Cyberpunk.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Obviously. There is no use playing the game with (for example) 5 tanks or support heroes.

I get the reasoning behind it. It's just odd to hop into a game and be told that you have to play these four or five characters and not any other. Especially with such a huge roster of characters. New players must be immediately turned off.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
i started nier replicant. I originally played nier on the ps3 but never finished it. I'll try and finish it by next week. Half the reason I'm playing it is because I want to watch the anime after I beat those two games.
I actually really like the anime so far especially after playing the games, they changed some details from the game very interesting way, this is why I highly suggest you play the both Replicant and Automata first before watching the anime.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Earth Defense Force 6. Still haven't beaten it, must be on mission 115 or so. Playing all missions solo on hard with the Ranger, once I'm done I'll start the grind of playing with all the classes on all the difficulties.

Game's super fun, the enemy variety is great since it has all the stuff from 5 plus more than a few new enemy types, some of which are pretty cool to fight against like the Kruul or the hordes of Android Grenadiers, which always make for some great and chaotic spectacle.

What I wasn't expecting was for the story to be that cool. It's basically about a cycle of going back in time multiple times back to the events of EDF5 to avoid humanity's defeat, which I think is quite a neat concept for a sequel. Coming from EDF5 I was expecting something far more simple, but what's here kinda kino even.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Tornado outbreak

I'm surprised by this game, its pretty fun. I can definitely see where the Katamari damacy comparisons are coming from, but it builds on it and brings something of its own into it. There's a gradual introduction of new moves as you progress. The creative direction was done by the same guy who was responsible for the original Sly cooper trilogy (Dev Madan). Each world stage has a charming and expressive touch. The platinum also appears to be pretty challenging.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I’m playing Trials of Mana. At first I was going to play Secret of Mana and then jump in to Trials of Mana but I don’t think I’m able finish both before Visions of Mana comes out, so I decide to just jump straight to Trials of Mana instead.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Beat Earth Defense Force 6, playing solo as a Ranger on Hard difficulty.

I've loved the campaign. It's much longer than the one in EDF5, the enemy variety is great and it's just super fun to play through. Plus, the story is way better than what I was expecting, and that final mission was kino indeed.

Now, to get all the medals playing through all difficulties with all the classes, which I'll do mostly on multiplayer co-op. EDF!

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Finished Midnight Fight Express (finally!).

I really liked the takedown animations. Felt like John Wick at times, especially with those gun executions. But the game isn't anything special otherwise. It's an okay 7/10 game that I felt overstayed its welcome a little bit.

The story is quite awful and needless, and I skipped pretty much all of it and the dialogue.

I liked the occasional cheeky references to modern-day pop culture.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

After Us: Pretty interesting artsy platformer. As far as I can tell you're playing some nature demigod trying to repair a ruined world.
Dungeons of Hinterberg: 14 dungeons down. Game just keeps steadily getting better and better.
Modern Warfare 3: Finished the snow level. I think 2 to go so I'll finish it this weekend. Really impressed with it.
Forza Motorsport: Ran through a circuit over the last few days. Nemesis Rally I think. Game is still fun.

I'm in some sort of gaming inception...

About halfway through Blue Dragon...
which was put on hold to play Trails Through Daybreak...
which was put on hold after rediscovering Octopath Traveler...
which was put on hold so I can play through Lies of P with my wife.

It will all unravel at some point. All of these games are top class, though.

Danjin44

Octopath Traveler...
which was put on hold
tom-and-jerry-fight.gif

Tenaciousmo

decided I was finished with Wartales after 120ish hours, amazing game but very same-y all the way through

I've been in a rut ever since I stopped, been going through the "survivors" I already played (Deep rock, rogue genesia, heretic's fork, death must die)

tried playing Fallout London with no avail, either black screeens on boot or stuck in the "tutorial"

also looking at outer wilds but I cant ever tell when I'm making progress in that game, 4th time i try to get in it

BioShock Remastered for the 2nd time. Easily one of the most immersive games I've played. I absolutely love BioShock and the worlds that they create, they are always so amazing to look at and get lost in. Rapture is just a phenomenal setting.

Playing on Survivor and it's no cake walk, that's for sure.

Crayon

The time I've had to pour into rebirth has dried up lately. I got some in today and.eill go back for more.

That visions of mana demo. The look was perfect but the demo was leaving me flat. I didn't get to the end of it but I took my time with the area provided. I didn't hear any music that touched the original, VA during gameplay was in the annoying side. The fighting seemed simplistic yet messy, though I doubt.my opinion on that because maybe it just takes time.

So with smaller slices of time this week I've been playing rayforce. It's really good. I've had it for a very long time. I played it for a bit. Saturn games were very cheap at the time so I had a lot coming in. I didn't realize it was thought of so highly til much later. I don't follow pewpew.

So I'm playing a little more committed now and it's very fun. The scoring system is bewildering but it feels like spoiling to look up how it works. :lollipop_squinting:

foamdino

I'm macbook laptop-based for the next few weeks so my playtime is now dedicated to:
  • Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
  • Tales of Maj'Eyal (real contender for rogue-game of all time, I want to try and get a complete run done this holiday)
  • Caves of Qud (I keep starting and dying too early to have a real feel for this one, but the insanity of possessing a concrete block with your mind powers and having it wonder along with you as a pet, or amputating your own legs to replace them with tracks makes me want to get much deeper into it)
  • Possibly CK3, will see if I feel the itch
  • BG3 (although I much prefer this on a bigger screen so that may get parked in favour of more runs of TOME)
When we get back Astrobot is released and then Metaphor ReFantazio then Path of Exile 2 beta... just bangers from September, cannot wait.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Whisper Trip. Never heard of it. $5. Really glad I picked it up so far. Fun as hell.

I dont recommend it to anyone though. The controls really take a bit to get used to. Also very difficult. Not for everyone, and super low budget. It clicked for me though. Really interesting timing on the sword strikes discourages button mashing and demands you only strike at the right time for bullet deflects.

I'm obsessed with the first descendant. All my free time has been devoted to grind some 6% drop chance thing. Can't want to get back home and grind some more.

violence

bIMFe1L.jpeg

Metal Gear Solid: Guns of the Patriots.

I decided to playthrough this again since I had plenty of extra free time due to getting Covid. My last recorded save was in 2010. The game was better than I remembered. The redemption of two lame characters (Raiden and Vamp) is something I find awe inspiring. It had really been too long since I played this. There was some stuff that I flat out never remembered seeing.

I can’t imagine the impact the game would’ve had had it ended with snake killing himself. To me it seems like that was the original plan, but they backtracked on it sometime later.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I'm macbook laptop-based for the next few weeks so my playtime is now dedicated to:
  • Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
  • Tales of Maj'Eyal (real contender for rogue-game of all time, I want to try and get a complete run done this holiday)
  • Caves of Qud (I keep starting and dying too early to have a real feel for this one, but the insanity of possessing a concrete block with your mind powers and having it wonder along with you as a pet, or amputating your own legs to replace them with tracks makes me want to get much deeper into it)
  • Possibly CK3, will see if I feel the itch
  • BG3 (although I much prefer this on a bigger screen so that may get parked in favour of more runs of TOME)
When we get back Astrobot is released and then Metaphor ReFantazio then Path of Exile 2 beta... just bangers from September, cannot wait.

A TOME mention! Such a fantastic game, I need to fire it up again.

To contribute:
- I've been playing a lot of FFXIV Dawntrail. I finished the MSQ, have gotten White Mage, Viper, Botanist, and Fisher to 100. Mining will happen next time I play. Going back to working on my 77-ish Dark Knight after that me thinks, get a tank to 100. Then I'll probably focus on leveling up my crafting.

- Still working my way through the Trails series. I'm on chapter 2 of Trails of Cold Steel II, and I'm loving it very much. Before I started the Cold Steel sub-series, I was wondering how I'd feel about it being 4 games long, but now I don't want it to end hah.

- Played some EDF6, really fun, and some Thank Goodness You're Here, which is so hilarious.

hemo memo

Gold Member
After finishing Darksiders 2, I was thinking what to play next. Found out that Ryza 3 is on sale on the eshop. Bought it and here we go again. I mean I didn’t even like Ryza 1 and 2 that much but this thing is like a drug.

Mr Hyde

Getting back to FF7 Rebirth from a months break. Regret putting it down. The combat system is complex as is Queens Blood. Going to take some time getting up to snuff. In the Gongaga area, just about to enter the reaction. Excited to finish this game off and see how the story unfolds.

drganon

Still playing through Trials of Mana, this game is much more fun than I expected and despite not being graphically "high tech" I still very much digging the visuals.
trials-of-mana-remake.gif
I really enjoyed it when I played it a couple years back. Ended up getting the platinum trophy for it.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Finished Far Cry 6. Enjoyed it, liked the setting and laughed a few times. Especially after a character starts going crazy and straight up murders after her 'boyfriend' got called the wrong pronounce lol. Ubiwoke at its finest. Didnt miss the rpg leveling system.

GTA 3 Definitive Edition. Man this game can be brutal with some of these missions as you progress later in the game. No idea how I managed to finish some of these as a kid on PS2. Working my way up to 100% so this is my first time really going for all the hidden packages, rampages etc.

drganon

Beat ff7 rebirth. Really fun game. Started to play the red dead 1 remaster. Playing on ps5 with 60fps/4k is pretty sweet.

Last edited:

drganon

GTA 3 Definitive Edition. Man this game can be brutal with some of these missions as you progress later in the game. No idea how I managed to finish some of these as a kid on PS2. Working my way up to 100% so this is my first time really going for all the hidden packages, rampages etc.
Cheat codes were my best friend with those games.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Finished Dungeons of Hinterberg earlier, 100%-ed it. Great fun game.

Now time for my annual FFXII play-through, RNG-ing 6 Seitengrat's and cheesing the shit out of the game.

Last edited:

lachesis

Gold Member
Pampas and Selene. (Steam/PC) - taking a short break from RE Village.

For me Knightmare II - Maze of Galius on MSX is one of my all time favorite games, and since this game is a spiritual successor of that game, I went ahead and bought it - and the creator Fran really did pay a lot of homage to the original.

Maze of Galius, I think is basically Konami’s take on Metroid way before Igavania. And Pampas and Selene takes it to another level - while keeping the sometimes mysterious or cryptic part of the game, but easier to understand.

Actual exploration is not that difficult, thanks to modern and more forgiving jump mechanics - but some of the boss fights are quite hard. Knowing the patterns are crucial, but being able to excute it for prolonged time is essential- and since my reflexes are not like in my teenage days- I am struggling to beat the final boss at the moment. :( Nevertheless- very happy to play this game.

Mitsurux

Currently Playing:
Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom (Switch): Bough this cheap on Amazon, and this game really clicked me, cool action combat, with a side of city building, and skirmish map battles. The Characters are pretty cool and the story rather interesting. Interesting world with humans and "animal humans" existing together. Never played the 1st game, but this does not seem to reference it. About 25 hours in and will defiantly see this one to the end.

With that said I recently bounced off the following games:
Sakuna of Rice and Ruin (Switch) - Got about 12 hours in and just started to loose interest, the game does have a pretty fun loop though and cool characters.

GrimGrimoire Oncemore (Switch) - Was on a Vanillaware kick for a while there and picked this one up, pretty good, game story is interesting (Art is amazing like all Vanillaware games), but the controls during the combat sections really bugged me, always felt like i was struggling with them, something about them were not intuitive for me.. and i don't think there was any way to remap. Also some of the mechanics of the battle system were not explained all that well (IMO), played about 10 hours and bounced off.

Person 5 Royal (Switch) - My third time attempting this one, got about 15 hours in and just sort of fizzled out, there is just something about the game that does not click with me (Despite really enjoying Soul Hackers 2 which shares a lot of same mechanics with P5)... Battle system is fun, characters and story seem good, I just don't know why i doesn't click with me, maybe the pacing... don't really know.

Went back to Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty and after beating a mission a bunch of stuff just became available. It became possible to change martial arts and level up martial arts on weapons to increase damage and reduce spirit cost. A new mode called 1000 Mile Journey (survival mode with distinct stages) unlocked as well. Bonkers that the game has so much content locked in NG+!
shocked sunglasses GIF

Mr Hyde

Aldias Keep in DS2 Seeker of Fire. This time it's updated to 2.0. I think it's good and improves a lot of things but the progression is kinda wonky and the levels are shuffled around in a order I don't really enjoy. It was much better in the previous version.

Aldias Keep in DS2 Seeker of Fire. This time it's updated to 2.0. I think it's good and improves a lot of things but the progression is kinda wonky and the levels are shuffled around in a order I don't really enjoy. It was much better in the previous version.
I was playing Seeker of Fire 2.0 just recently and it is closest to perfection for me.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Natsuki chronicles

Working on unlocking Hard and Extreme modes atm. Dig that the way levels are represented and connected through a timeline. Its a clever touch. Have to grab the physical edition at some point.

Danjin44

I finished Trails of Mana and my party was Duran, Angela and Hawkeye.

I REALLY liked this game, it has simple story and combat but still very fun and charming. While the combat is simple and the game is not all that difficult even on hard the actual combat is not very button smashy.
The elemental weakness matters and bosses can do big chunk of damage if you are not careful. Also even you buy 50 Honey Elixir and Chocolate on the shop, during the battle you can only use 9 of them and I like that it means you cant abuse it, especially in my party step up which I had no healers.

Also the game is not very long, I think finished the game around 25 hours but this game is meant to played multiple times so its good the game is not very long. I think I still have time to do another playthrough before Visions of Mana comes out.

Getting back to FF7 Rebirth from a months break. Regret putting it down. The combat system is complex as is Queens Blood. Going to take some time getting up to snuff. In the Gongaga area, just about to enter the reaction. Excited to finish this game off and see how the story unfolds.

Same part of the game I took a break at, a good logical stopping point to then pick back up and play through to the end without getting too tired.

Tenaciousmo

decided I was finished with Wartales after 120ish hours, amazing game but very same-y all the way through

I've been in a rut ever since I stopped, been going through the "survivors" I already played (Deep rock, rogue genesia, heretic's fork, death must die)

tried playing Fallout London with no avail, either black screeens on boot or stuck in the "tutorial"

also looking at outer wilds but I cant ever tell when I'm making progress in that game, 4th time i try to get in it
update:
Replayed katamari reroll and we <3 katamari reroll as one should and finally got Fallout London to work, very excited to get in there back to square one :')

Last edited:
Currently Playing:
Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom (Switch): Bough this cheap on Amazon, and this game really clicked me, cool action combat, with a side of city building, and skirmish map battles. The Characters are pretty cool and the story rather interesting. Interesting world with humans and "animal humans" existing together. Never played the 1st game, but this does not seem to reference it. About 25 hours in and will defiantly see this one to the end.

With that said I recently bounced off the following games:
Sakuna of Rice and Ruin (Switch) - Got about 12 hours in and just started to loose interest, the game does have a pretty fun loop though and cool characters.

GrimGrimoire Oncemore (Switch) - Was on a Vanillaware kick for a while there and picked this one up, pretty good, game story is interesting (Art is amazing like all Vanillaware games), but the controls during the combat sections really bugged me, always felt like i was struggling with them, something about them were not intuitive for me.. and i don't think there was any way to remap. Also some of the mechanics of the battle system were not explained all that well (IMO), played about 10 hours and bounced off.

Person 5 Royal (Switch) - My third time attempting this one, got about 15 hours in and just sort of fizzled out, there is just something about the game that does not click with me (Despite really enjoying Soul Hackers 2 which shares a lot of same mechanics with P5)... Battle system is fun, characters and story seem good, I just don't know why i doesn't click with me, maybe the pacing... don't really know.

I'm curious how does Nino Kuni II run on the Switch? I already played and finished it on Steam but I was just wondering how the game is on Switch. BTW, I love the castle town building aspect in the game

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Playing Steelrising. A lite Bloodborne clone. I want to like this more than I do. It falls short in a couple areas. The bosses aren’t difficult and they tend to become field enemies far too soon. They’re also cheesed by the frost bullets. Freeze, charge attack, rinse and repeat. There’s no achievements for bosses. Combat and style are decent. The plot isn’t something I’m focusing on. It’s more about the exploration. Lies of P did some things much better. The enemy variety doesn’t change often. It’s robots, robots, and more robots. The bosses feel like variations of the same robot. Something is keeping me playing and I think it’s the fact that its a Bloodborne clone.

I’m also playing Octopath Traveler 2. Taking my time, but’s it a great game. Started with Throné and I’m on Chapter 2 atm. Waiting for Wukong to come out.

Mr Hyde

The Spice of Life side quest in FF7 Rebirth might be the worst fucking side quest I've done in a long time. Not only is the terrain in Gongaga complete shit to navigate but plucking the mushrooms wasn't at all intuitive and it was near impossible to feel which side of the mushroom you should target first.

In fact, the whole Gongaga area makes me question Square Enix design choices regarding this remake. It's fun seeing them flesh out the world and making it a living, breathing place, but transforming a segment of the original game that was maybe 30 minutes long into a full fledged area that takes 10 to 15 hours to complete is just nuts. It's the same criticism I had in the previous remake when you explored Midgar. If SE didn't pad out the remake with all of these unnecessary side quests and changes to the original story the remake would've been finished by now, instead of taking 10 years to make.

Last edited:
Top Bottom