• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Roberts

Loaded up Creatures of Ava. The first notable thing about it is that it is an open-world indie game with skill trees, tons of stuff to do, etc - you don't get a lot of these. It's not striving for visual realism, opting for a more cartoony look but I think it looks fine. It reminds me of The Gunk a bit, mostly because both games focus on healing the world instead of fighting it. The world seems to be rich with lore and imagination even though it feels like everything has been inspired by games that we have played in the past.

Just like many indie games, it is only partially voice acted and the animation (especially when navigating uneven surfaces) can look sloppy and unfinished, but I haven't encountered any glitches or bugs. I still haven't decided if I want to play the whole game (I have to check it out how long it is), but I think it could be a perfectly fine time waster. Another game I would never even consider playing if not for GP.

Duchess

I’m curious if you bought it or just played it freely from game pass or something.
Borrowed the PS5 disc from my brother, who loved it.

Seems I'm just not into those types of games, because Hollow Knight, Blasphemous 2, and Salt And Sanctuary all rubbed me up the wrong way.

I did rather enjoy Bloodstained : Ritual of the Night, though. (interestingly, my brother hated it..!)

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Loaded up Creatures of Ava. The first notable thing about it is that it is an open-world indie game with skill trees, tons of stuff to do, etc - you don't get a lot of these. It's not striving for visual realism, opting for a more cartoony look but I think it looks fine. It reminds me of The Gunk a bit, mostly because both games focus on healing the world instead of fighting it. The world seems to be rich with lore and imagination even though it feels like everything has been inspired by games that we have played in the past.

Just like many indie games, it is only partially voice acted and the animation (especially when navigating uneven surfaces) can look sloppy and unfinished, but I haven't encountered any glitches or bugs. I still haven't decided if I want to play the whole game (I have to check it out how long it is), but I think it could be a perfectly fine time waster. Another game I would never even consider playing if not for GP.
I just finished the grasslands area which I guess is 1 of 4, so 25% done. I agree with your take. It's not bad, but it's not great either. I keep going back and forth. Mid-tier game for sure, but something about the treadmill they've created has kept me going. It's a bit fun to fill up the pokedex and check off all the tasks.

There is an interesting paradox with indie games and lower budget productions. If you're a 2D pixel art game, you get graded on a curve a bit. But the closer you get to modern games, sometimes the more flaws are held against the game, even though it's like 2 generations more advanced.

Punished Miku

Creatures of Ava: See above. Very mid tier game, relaxing but pretty basic.
Gears Tactics: Just playing a map a day basically. It's pretty fun. Graphics are better than I expected, and it's satisfying to move between cover since they still slam into the wall like in the Gears games. They managed to carry over almost everything you'd expect from Gears and transport it into an SRPG - the guns and sound effects, the look is perfect, the frag grenades and chainsaws. It's fun to set up overwatch positions when Wretches start swarming you. It all just fits.
CYGNI: Going to finally get back to this tonight. I've been jumping all over lately, but moving onto Stages 4 and 5 tonight. Game is great. One of my favorite shmups in years, but it does have a learning curve.

FewRope

Yet more Zodiac Age.

Beating super bosses and unlocking trophies that I never did 7 years ago lol.

I'm coming for yo' ass Yiazmat !

HvOU8nC.png
It's so fucking funny how much of the mythos of the game Final Fantasy XIV borrows, Zodiark included

Roberts

There is an interesting paradox with indie games and lower budget productions. If you're a 2D pixel art game, you get graded on a curve a bit. But the closer you get to modern games, sometimes the more flaws are held against the game, even though it's like 2 generations more advanced.
Yes and that is why I'm always super appreciative when they nail it. Flintlock comes very close to looking and feeling like a pretty expensive AAA game. Same with Banishers and Vampyr (to a bit lesser degree) before that.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m finally going to do it. I’m finally going to beat Death Stranding.

Man, it’s a struggle. Having the Simpson’s on a second screen sure makes the game less boring. I couldn’t play this game with my iPad sitting next to me.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Still playing EDF6. 110 hours in and about 1/3 into Hardest difficulty with the Ranger. Having a ton of fun.

Thing is, I fell sick a few days ago and wanted something more calm and comfy, so I've started playing the Phoenix Wright games on the Deck. Very fun, already played them back in the day on a NDS but I don't remember a thing, so it's fine. The music is great too, didn't remember that.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I am addicted to Dead Cells right now. I got to the final boss 2 times in 3 hours, and just now I beat him with a colorless over axe, ice bow, ice nades and wolf traps and just face tanked him. He went down after a minute or so.

I also have the Castlevania DLC, I am now focusing on that.

Game is dangerously addicting. Don't start it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
FUCKING YES ! IT IS DONE !!

UKAbgYh.png

context for those unaware: this is Yiazmat, hardest / longest boss in a single player FF game, 50 million HP. Without Zodiac Age's 4X turbo mode, this fight can take 2~ hours.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

UKAbgYh.png

context for those unaware: this is Yiazmat, hardest / longest boss in a single player FF game, 50 million HP. Without Zodiac Age's 4X turbo mode, this fight can take 2~ hours.

Nice man. I beat him way back when this game came out on PS4, that bar would melt and I would think, this is it? But then it takes ages to fully deplete it. Even with Darkblade, berserk and Black robes I can't imagine doing this fight at 1x speed. Or what about the vanilla version, that caps out at 9999 damage.. ugh.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
God damn it. Death Stranding is just so boring, not even having a show on is helping me slog through this shit. I might just watch the cutscenes on YouTube and be done with it.

I hope DS2 doesn’t suck as bad.

Now to start Mafia.

Last edited:

adamsapple

God damn it. Death Stranding is just so boring, not even having a show on is helping me slog through this shit. I might just watch the cutscenes on YouTube and be done with it.

Now to start Mafia.

It's one of those games that I played once it came out and I'm fairly confident I'm never gonna do a full play through again, RDR2 falls in the same category for me.

Punished Miku

Now to start Mafia.
I couldn't do it either. But my tastes have expanded a bit since it first came out, so I intend to give it a 2nd try at some point.

Got into Deadlock 2 days ago and already feel addicted. The game isn't even officially announced, yet the gameplay feels polished and mechanics are so f'in good.
I've put serious time into Dota 2 and LoL many moons ago, and vowed to never return to MOBA's again, yet here we are...

Deerock71

Going through another run of Borderlands 2.

EDIT- The Switch rocks! I love playing this until the battery dies. 😆

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I couldn't do it either. But my tastes have expanded a bit since it first came out, so I intend to give it a 2nd try at some point.
And I’m narrowing my taste in games these days. If it doesn’t grab and keep me after a few hours, I chuck it and play something else. Thank goodness for PS+. I couldn’t imagine paying for Death Stranding.

Going through another run of Borderlands 2.

EDIT- The Switch rocks! I love playing this until the battery dies. 😆
We have USB chargers near most of the sitting areas in the living room and in each bedroom. None of our switches in my household fear death!

Roberts

I’m a sucker for subversive, weird, art-trash cinema, I like the people Kojima used in the game like Refn and Del Toro, I admire so much in this game and yet, it felt like a collasal slog and gave up before it supposedly gets more interesting. Who knows, maybe I will return some day.

Anyway, I still play Flintlock and Creatures of Ava even though I will most likely not finish the latter.

I also checked out Kena today and I really like what I am seeing. I think xbox scouts/curators are better at picking projects for their times exclusives (for my tastes) but Sifu and this were a great get for Sony.

Punished Miku

I’m a sucker for subversive, weird, art-trash cinema, I like the people Kojima used in the game like Refn and Del Toro, I admire so much in this game and yet, it felt like a collasal slog and gave up before it supposedly gets more interesting. Who knows, maybe I will return some day.

Anyway, I still play Flintlock and Creatures of Ava even though I will most likely not finish the latter.

I also checked out Kena today and I really like what I am seeing. I think xbox scouts/curators are better at picking projects for their times exclusives (for my tastes) but Sifu and this were a great get for Sony.
Yeah, Creatures of Ava is super mid. I'm still trucking along but it's not great. Flintlock, personally I loved the game.

I agree, Xbox curation is pretty legendary the last 3 years. Sony's best gets in the "indie" space were probably Sifu, Solar Ash in my opinion. I haven't played Stray yet but that was clearly super popular. Jett, I didn't play yet. Kena is pretty, and has some nice elements but prepare yourself for the brick wall of difficulty on the boss fights out of nowhere.

Roberts

Kena is pretty, and has some nice elements but prepare yourself for the brick wall of difficulty on the boss fights out of nowhere.
Yeah, I heard this many times. There is a story mode difficulty. Might switch to that if I can’t beat it. Playing at default difficulty now.

Oh, Solar ash was great too. Stray is very good but kind of shits the bed in the last stretch.

Paltheos

UKAbgYh.png

Yiazmat's the longest, but he's not even the hardest in that game imo. Omega's harder and probably some other fights too at the point you take them on. Yiazmat's just an endurance-fest. I remember my own fight taking around that long too, praying each time to keep chaining with the Masamune (plz).

adamsapple

Yiazmat's the longest, but he's not even the hardest in that game imo. Omega's harder and probably some other fights too at the point you take them on. Yiazmat's just an endurance-fest. I remember my own fight taking around that long too, praying each time to keep chaining with the Masamune (plz).

Beat Omega as well, surprisingly no trophy associated with him.

Omega was a lot more easier if you go in with the right gambits. Just need to spam it with Wither to bring its attack power down and it takes 2 minutes afterward. Granted, I am very over leveled now with my 3 primary all at 99.

Paltheos

Beat Omega as well, surprisingly no trophy associated with him.

Omega was a lot more easier if you go in with the right gambits. Just need to spam it with Wither to bring its attack power down and it takes 2 minutes afterward. Granted, I am very over leveled now with my 3 primary all at 99.

Maybe I'm misremembering then. I do remember the trek there is bad at least, because of the Great Crystal ""map"".

amigastar

Max Payne 3
Man, this game is so awesome, best ragdoll physics ever and just pure action fun.
Also i love the writing which only Rockstar could pull off reminiscent of the old Max Payne games, the bitterness of Max, you know.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
COD Black Ops Cold War and Tekken 8 at the moment
Planning to hop back into Granblue Fantasy Versus Rising next week when the 1.5 update hits

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Finished he first of the Phoenix Wright Trilogy. Man that last case was so good, cool way of wrapping it all.

Plus I loved interrogating a parrot.

I try to play other things but EDF6 is really dominating my time these days.
There's a personnel shortage here at Base 251, so thanks for lending a hand.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Once finished Ace Attorney trilogy also try Great Ace Attorney...it really good.
813LNwij9YL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll probably end up playing the whole series lol.

Or is there something I should skip?

Top Bottom