• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
just bought and downloaded HP Quidditch on Steam :D

Jh00RFr.png

edit: the controls feel super sensitive even at the lowest setting and the gameplay is confusing. it'll take time to get used to it but seems a bit overwhelming at the moment.

Last edited:

Yerd

Humble bundle came today. 2 games I already own, unfortunately. I hate buying games sometimes because of this.

Dr. Suchong

Wrapping up Yakuza Kiwami (Finally)
Definitely the weakest one I've played so far.
Might try Judgement after this and give Kiryu a break.
MHR, Hades, and Starfield.
Starfield is so suffocatingly bureaucratic and drab, but I'm enjoying the stuffiness oddly enough.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Wrapping up Yakuza Kiwami (Finally)
Definitely the weakest one I played so far.
Might try Judgement after this and give Kiryu a break.
imo Kiwami 1 and the remaster of 3 are the weakest entries.

The Judgment games on the other hand are amazing. Great combat and amazing stories with less crazy stuff and more serious tones.

imo Kiwami 1 and the remaster of 3 are the weakest entries.

The Judgment games on the other hand are amazing. Great combat and amazing stories with less crazy stuff and more serious tones.
I like 3. It has a great narrative. I would only put Yakuza Zero above it. Weakest entry is Yakuza 4 for me unless grinding all the skills with Majima anywhere system is something you want to do in Kiwami 1. It is solid otherwise.

Last edited:
Dead Space Remake...again. just a fantastic game and it looks amazing. The lighting and environments in this bring to mind the word "cinematic", not endless cutscenes.

I recently retried Starfield on XSX. A number of issues had me shelve it again. Enemy ai (shooting at me inside a sealed building from the outside) and generally terrible in fire fights, cringe writing from the get go, terrible lighting and HDR and awful performance in places (brilliant in others). There are moments when I wanted to really like it, but there's always something annoying me throughout. Thankfully played on GP.

Moved on to revisiting another game. AC Origins. Which on XSX is near native 4k (probably around 1800p or so). Mostly a locked 60fps, to the point where by I dont use VRR. It takes some tweaking, but the HDR can be dialled into looking great. And imo this game still looks better or as good as many modern day releases. And yet keeps a great frame rate. Anyway its one of my fav AC games and I love the Ancient Egyptian mystique about it all.

I did also try AC Odyssey recently, but it doesnt look so nice as Origins imo. And I had some crashes late game during sea battles. It also is less stable frame rate wise and did require VRR. Never quite clicked with me.

Highly recommend revisiting AC Origins on XSX.

You know what sucks? Ubisoft stealth downgraded Odyssey on Series X when they added the 60 fps patch. It used to look razor sharp and went toe to toe with Origins. The resolution took a hit. It was close to native 4k on the One X now if I had to guess it's closer to 1500-1600p

So right now I am currently playing Pikmin 4 on the Switch. I got back into pikmin over the summer last year when I revisited 2. I didn't have a switch at the time until recently. Didn't realize they made a new pikmin until I saw it on the shelf to buy my switch. Scooped it up and I am glad I did. I recommend playing it if your into the idea of a sci fi adventure strategy game that focuses on exploration in outdoor settings. This game is rated E for everyone so anyone can pick it up. It doesn't have the deepest characters or story but its okay because it helped me get to the main star of the show the gameplay, exploration, and adventure. I love the gameplay and the variety of ways the game let's me play with its mechanics in new ways whether its through different challenges or creating my own due to its speed run, chill, timer based goal oriented puzzle gameplay. I love the variety of options the game gives me to customize the journey and change up challenges so new runs of the game feel fresh. Love The Boss Fights. Just the scale and scope gets me real excited to explore the world. Overall great game. Happy that I've been enjoying it. The music is stellar on headphones.

King Dazzar

You know what sucks? Ubisoft stealth downgraded Odyssey on Series X when they added the 60 fps patch. It used to look razor sharp and went toe to toe with Origins. The resolution took a hit. It was close to native 4k on the One X now if I had to guess it's closer to 1500-1600p
Now that's interesting. As I spent a lot of time adjust my TV's Reality Creation trying to get distant LOD's to resolve better on Odyssey. And the res drop between the two games would explain it. Did you experience any stability issues with Odyssey? I was fine until 50 to 60hrs in and then after sea battles it would sometimes crash. But I'm wondering if moving it to internal storage might help. Worth noting, that what ever they may have done on the patch, it still looks far better than the PS5 BC version.

Still trophy hunting on Origins btw. And no issues.

near

Gold Member
Hit a brick wall in Lorelei and the Laser Eyes. Taking a break from it for now. So my time is being split between Downwell, Castlevania Dominus Collection and Tamashii.

hinch7

Started playing Alien Isolation for the first time on PC. Enjoying it so far, with great atmosphere like with the films and promising premise. Was also playing BO6 beta over the weekend, which was pretty fantastic.

Can't wait for Friday to play some Astrobot.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Still playing Black Myth Wukong. The final boss of chapter 4 is something else, nothing to envy about From's bests.

The_hunter

So right now I am currently playing Pikmin 4 on the Switch. I got back into pikmin over the summer last year when I revisited 2. I didn't have a switch at the time until recently. Didn't realize they made a new pikmin until I saw it on the shelf to buy my switch. Scooped it up and I am glad I did. I recommend playing it if your into the idea of a sci fi adventure strategy game that focuses on exploration in outdoor settings. This game is rated E for everyone so anyone can pick it up. It doesn't have the deepest characters or story but its okay because it helped me get to the main star of the show the gameplay, exploration, and adventure. I love the gameplay and the variety of ways the game let's me play with its mechanics in new ways whether its through different challenges or creating my own due to its speed run, chill, timer based goal oriented puzzle gameplay. I love the variety of options the game gives me to customize the journey and change up challenges so new runs of the game feel fresh. Love The Boss Fights. Just the scale and scope gets me real excited to explore the world. Overall great game. Happy that I've been enjoying it. The music is stellar on headphones.
I finished this game last month. The dialogue was really charming, made me chuckle a lot. I personally preferred Pikmin 3, but Pikmin 4 brought a lot of positive improvements, like Pikmin pathfinding. Pikmin 4 is better suited for portable play than pikmin 3 is.

Last edited:

Ponderling

Neo Member
Silent Hill 2 enhanced edition on a 21:9 OLED monitor, it's dreary as hell. I love it.
It's genius how team silent used short CGI sequences in this game for character expression, bringing them to life outside of their fairly rigid in-game models.

EerieArcade

Neo Member
Silent Hill 2 enhanced edition on a 21:9 OLED monitor, it's dreary as hell. I love it.
It's genius how team silent used short CGI sequences in this game for character expression, bringing them to life outside of their fairly rigid in-game models.

I had Silent Hill 2 for the PS2. My dad bought it for me and I couldn't get into it. I sold it to a shop in town. Went back and played it last year and it's probably in my top ten games of all time.

I'm still going through Black Myth Wukong. Think I'm nearing the end of chapter 4. Not sure what to play after this; I'm tempted by the new Star Wars game but I may hold off on that for a while since it seems like a game that'll drop in price fairly quickly.

So 13 Sentinels is leaving PS+ Extra on 9/17, and against my better judgment I decided why not start that and try to finish? It's supposedly a 30+ hour game and I don't really have the time for it, but might as well try.

I am confused as hell, but the art is great and the music rules too.

Yakisoba pan!!!

Roberts

As a huge fan of Wipeout back in the day, I was always looking for something that give me that sci-fi thrill of speed and nothing really came close, but I'm enjoying Redout 2 a bit. It is an improvement over the first game, for sure and while I'm never really hooked on it, I do play a race or two almost every day.

I've been playing Hong Kong Massacre the same way, one level and call it quite for the day. It is fine and violent in a gleeful way, but I wish it could have done a few things better. For example, enemy AI kind of sucks. Most of the time they don't even react when I shotgun-blast some asshole in the next room. Tonally it is kind of weird too - it references early 90's HK movies like Hard Boiled and yet the presentation feels like it belongs in the 00's

The best time I've had this week was playing The Case of the Golden Idol. Me and my friend are talking on the phone while playing it together as if it was a co-op game and it is so much fun solving crimes together. Maybe I feel that way because I clearly have better deduction skills than he does. Har har. But its is a very unique game with a sardonic wit rarely seen in video games.

near

Gold Member
I'm really LTTP on Downwell and so far really vibing with it. It fucking hard tho, or I'm just bad. I cannot get past the first part of Stage 2, probably because I always end up getting there with 1 life bar remaining lol. I do not like roguelikes at all, but this one is kind of addictive, I'm determined to clear all stages. It might take me some time tho.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
As a huge fan of Wipeout back in the day, I was always looking for something that give me that sci-fi thrill of speed and nothing really came close, but I'm enjoying Redout 2 a bit. It is an improvement over the first game, for sure and while I'm never really hooked on it, I do play a race or two almost every day.

I've been playing Hong Kong Massacre the same way, one level and call it quite for the day. It is fine and violent in a gleeful way, but I wish it could have done a few things better. For example, enemy AI kind of sucks. Most of the time they don't even react when I shotgun-blast some asshole in the next room. Tonally it is kind of weird too - it references early 90's HK movies like Hard Boiled and yet the presentation feels like it belongs in the 00's

The best time I've had this week was playing The Case of the Golden Idol. Me and my friend are talking on the phone while playing it together as if it was a co-op game and it is so much fun solving crimes together. Maybe I feel that way because I clearly have better deduction skills than he does. Har har. But its is a very unique game with a sardonic wit rarely seen in video games.
Hong Kong Massacre is great. Game feels totally different getting the star for no damage and the star for no slow mo. Only game I've ever played where I just turned all music off. Just something eerie about the silence and gunfire.

Redout 2 would've been great if it actually looked like the gameplay trailers they first showed. The actual game looks awful and worse than the first one which came out on the previous generation! Reminds me of The Surge 2 which also looked worse than the original.

It's good but too easy like a lot of Japanese made games lately...like come on Nintendo, at least give us a hard mode!

Punished Miku

Sea of Solitude: its got some cringe writing and they lay it on super thick with the bullying / mental health storyline, but its still overall better than I expected. The amount of water physics, and water exploration really exceeded what I would expect from a small game like this. The main voice actress has a super thick accent. Sounds like Senua almost, but its a different person.

Valfaris - Mecha Therion: Fantastic game so far. It just keeps getting better. Its tough but always fair. Constantly getting new stuff. These guys are action game masters, every game, 3x in a row in 3 different genres.

Kunitsu-Gami: Checked off another level. Snow level, looked really nice. New mechanics keep getting added every other level.

Emio Smiling Man: Really well done so far. Great artwork. Does feel a little too trial and error in the beginning, just clicking the available options until sonething happens but its been enjoyable so far.

Castlevania Dominus (DoS): Its a classic. As good as I remembered.

Last edited:

HyperSeg

Neo Member
Elden Ring + DLC Enemy and Item Randomizer. I play it with the option to remove attribute requirements from weapons. Anytime I find a new weapon, I can use it right away. It would take too many words to describe how fun Elden Ring randomizer is, I highly recommend it.

Scary_Larry

Neo Member
Just wrapped up CP2077. Late to the party I know. I've been in a massive new games rut. Interested in a few games like Astro Bot or Space Marine 2. Possibly the new Dragons Age. Kinda in a holding pattern on deciding if I should wait for the PS5 Pro to play some of these.

EerieArcade

Neo Member
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Symphony of the Night is one of my favourite games of all time, but I've never really played any of the other Castlevania games. I decided to buy the collection, and I'm really glad I did, even though I've only played around one hour of Order of Ecclesia. I really like the glyph system. The levels are excellent, the music is stunning, as you'd expect, and I love the usual enemies. Can't believe I've never played this particular game before now.

Dazraell

I've finished Yakuza Kiwami. The game feels unfortunately inferior to Yakuza 0, which I enjoyed much more. I really liked changes how you unlock new skills and these little intesections with Nishiki between chapters. Kiwami's story was interesting at the start, but got extremely fillery and boring in the middle. Luckily it picked up at the end. Side quests were neat, but when I think about ones that were truly memorable, I feel Y0 substories were better on that end. Majima Everywhere system has a good foundation and gave me a lot of laugh, but sometimes it felt a bit too much. Especially when I had like 6-7 fights in a row with him in a span of like 30 minutes

Currently I'll be focusing on Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and Oxenfree II

Roberts

Only game I've ever played where I just turned all music off. Just something eerie about the silence and gunfire.
This is a great tip - didn't think of that myself and it really helped the atmosphere. Just finished day two. The harder it gets the more I appreciate the mayhem.
Redout 2 would've been great if it actually looked like the gameplay trailers they first showed. The actual game looks awful and worse than the first one which came out on the previous generation! Reminds me of The Surge 2 which also looked worse than the original.
I have a terrible memory when it comes to visuals so you could be right, but I remember the first one not performing too well on Xbox One X and this one is smooth as butter.

Jesb

I’m playing through an oldie call of Cthulhu and enjoying the game. I love a good investigation game. Wouldn’t mind a new game like this.

Dunker99

Shadow of the Tomb Raider on PS5. Looks gorgeous and runs at 60fps at a crisp resolution. It came out 6 years ago but really puts lots of current gen games to shame in terms of its visuals and fluid framerate.

It also makes me miss “normal” AAA action adventure games like this Tomb Raider trilogy and Uncharted etc. They seem to be getting rarer and rarer, unfortunately.

EerieArcade

Neo Member
This is a bit more challenging than Symphony of the Night. The crab boss has kicked my arse a few times!

Black Myth Wukong
I've just returned to older chapters to see if I've missed anything important or fun. Missed a few mini-bosses and spirits.

TintoConCasera

Beat Black Myth: Wukong today. I've loved the game, plays great and looks amazing. The focus on boss fights is great, and I appreciate an action combat system with so many options at your dispossal. Sadly, having so many options makes some of the bossfights way too easy. The lack of challenge during most of the game is my only gripe with it, and aside from that it's quite the fun experience.

Now I'm at that stage of "I just beat a great game and don't know what to play next". Might take a rest from videogames for a few days and focus on something else.

Last edited:

Scary_Larry

Neo Member
This is a bit more challenging than Symphony of the Night. The crab boss has kicked my arse a few times!

Black Myth Wukong
I've just returned to older chapters to see if I've missed anything important or fun. Missed a few mini-bosses and spirits.
I’m very interested in both of these. Have heard mixed things about the optimization on Wukong and the more I mull it over, I think I’ll wait for the PS5 Pro.

Great taste btw!

Paltheos

Two single player games at once for me, which is uncommon.

Metroid Dread (Dread difficulty) - This is the one hit kill mode. I'm on the final cleanup now. One hit kills has made me appreciate how well designed all the bosses in this game are. Timing is sometimes strict, but there are consistent strategies for every encounter. The longest a boss has taken me is around an hour, against the creature that blocks the heat flow prior to getting the Screw Attack. Probably died to the ground laser the most as you need to follow it closely enough so that you can jump to the other side when it briefly stops crossing the room, the timing for which changes every time he uses it and ofc the floor is a kill except for the (also variable) narrow safe spot he leaves behind.

My biggest enemy so far has been the levels really. There's a lot of silly stuff that can kill you instantly, from dozens of pellets shot out from enemies, to big aoe explosions, to chargers you basically have to parry or panic dodge. Worse than all that though is Samus' own abilities. I feel like I've died a hundred times for ledge grabbing when I don't want to.

Regardless, I've still had a fun time with it and recommend Dread mode for anyone looking to squeeze more out of the game. Not quite as fun as the no hit mode in Muramasa: The Demon Blade, but it's still a good time.

Also finished Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance today (100% chievos, so NG+6). Wrote a very long post in the OT sharing my thoughts.

The Giant Enemy Crab(TM) is a common roadblock for new players, even experienced Castlevania players. The strat will come eventually.

Glad you're liking the game(?). I'm one of GAF's self-proclaimed biggest simps for Ecclesia. I think it's the best.

drganon

Took a break from playing visions of mana and played the devil in me. Overall, it was easily the worst of the dark pictures games. Thankfully I got it on sale.

Punished Miku

Finished Sea of Solitude last night. I liked it. It's got some issues like I said last time, but was fine to run through pretty quickly. There's a few nice moments depicting depression that were actually well done, and the ambitiousness of the water effects carried most of the game. Didn't overstay its welcome, blew through it pretty quickly.

I never heard of this game, but interestingly it has a Director's Cut that is exclusive to Switch. I mentioned that the main character has an incredibly thick accent similar to Senua. Apparently she was one of the animators for the game and they just liked her voice. The director's cut rewrites a lot of the dialogue and rerecords all the dialogue. I watched the trailer and honestly I think I prefer the original. It is a bit awkward at times, but I'd rather just keep it how it was I think. I definitely didn't hate her performance, just a little unusual.

EerieArcade

Neo Member
I’m very interested in both of these. Have heard mixed things about the optimization on Wukong and the more I mull it over, I think I’ll wait for the PS5 Pro.

Great taste btw!

I've found Wukong to run fine. Using the balanced graphical setting. A couple of dips in chapter 3 but that's about it. Highly recommended, but I think I'm having more fun with Castlevania! And thank you.

The Giant Enemy Crab(TM) is a common roadblock for new players, even experienced Castlevania players. The strat will come eventually.

Glad you're liking the game(?). I'm one of GAF's self-proclaimed biggest simps for Ecclesia. I think it's the best.

Managed to beat it. Didn't realise you had to use the elevator to crush him. Spent about ten minutes throwing axes at him haha.

Top Bottom