• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
1uFkGGR.png

RDR2's Xbox version for just $12. Only played the PS4 Pro version before, never got to play the game in native 4K.

Will I ever get the time to play it? Who the fuck knows. But that price is a steal.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
1uFkGGR.png

RDR2's Xbox version for just $12. Only played the PS4 Pro version before, never got to play the game in native 4K.

Will I ever get the time to play it? Who the fuck knows. But that price is a steal.
I'm waiting for it to hit digital around that price. I still haven't played it. It's never gone below $20. That is a great price.

Södy

Twilight Princess is awesome, my second favorite Zelda game (after OoT). It gets a lot of hate - certain points show its age, but the dungeons and combat are still top notch.
Finished it yesterday. Awesome game.
The dungeons were on the easier side in my opinion but that might be because I finished OoT for the first time a few weeks ago. But they all played nicely and were a lot of fun. Only the last Ganondorf boss battle felt forced (they should just stayed with Zanto being the villain).

Next up is Majora's Mask (for the first time as well). Planning to finish it around christmas time.

Roberts

I'm waiting for it to hit digital around that price. I still haven't played it. It's never gone below $20. That is a great price.
As a big fan of westerns and the first game, I was initially disappointed with the sequel. Arthur is a great character but It has some issues with how he story is told and the pace of the gameplay is something else. That said, after putting it aside for a few months, I got back into it with a different mindset and then it all clicked. It still a very good game and probably better than all the last GTA games.

Anyway, finished Hong Kong Massacre and started Blasphemous 2. It lacks the surprise element of the first game - now everything, including that amazing art design and fucked up religious iconography, is instantly familiar. Other than added VA, it doesn't really do anything new unlike, let's say, Ori 2 where the difference and improvements between it and the predecessor was so noticeable. Even the map is has a very similar structure. But I fucking loved the first game and this one doesn't really do anything to ruin that. It still a very fun and weird game.

Finished it yesterday. Awesome game.
The dungeons were on the easier side in my opinion but that might be because I finished OoT for the first time a few weeks ago. But they all played nicely and were a lot of fun. Only the last Ganondorf boss battle felt forced (they should just stayed with Zanto being the villain).

Next up is Majora's Mask (for the first time as well). Planning to finish it around christmas time.

Yeah probably a bit easier with OoT fresh in your mind. The Forest and Water temples are two of the tougher ones as well. Which were your favorites from TP?

Ganondorf would have benefitted from a bit more foreshadowing at least from the sidequests, so he did not seem as randomly placed, but that last 4 phase fight is my favorite end boss in any Zelda game.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
As a big fan of westerns and the first game, I was initially disappointed with the sequel. Arthur is a great character but It has some issues with how he story is told and the pace of the gameplay is something else. That said, after putting it aside for a few months, I got back into it with a different mindset and then it all clicked. It still a very good game and probably better than all the last GTA games.

Anyway, finished Hong Kong Massacre and started Blasphemous 2. It lacks the surprise element of the first game - now everything, including that amazing art design and fucked up religious iconography, is instantly familiar. Other than added VA, it doesn't really do anything new unlike, let's say, Ori 2 where the difference and improvements between it and the predecessor was so noticeable. Even the map is has a very similar structure. But I fucking loved the first game and this one doesn't really do anything to ruin that. It still a very fun and weird game.
I actually didnt like RDR1 and dropped it and GTA4 pretty early. I always planned on giving it another shot someday.

I have Blasphemous 1 and love the art but never truly sat down to dig into it. Backlog. I'm much more excited for that team's next game. 2025 I think.

Södy

Yeah probably a bit easier with OoT fresh in your mind. The Forest and Water temples are two of the tougher ones as well. Which were your favorites from TP?

Ganondorf would have benefitted from a bit more foreshadowing at least from the sidequests, so he did not seem as randomly placed, but that last 4 phase fight is my favorite end boss in any Zelda game.
Tough to say.

The sky temple, while having redious sections, hat good puzzles and was fun. Also the Gerudo one. I didn't like the ice one aesthetically but it was fun too.

Yeah I the endboss was fine felt a little bit like "damn we forgot Ganondorf let's just attach him at the end" :D

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Dropped SMT VV when Elden Ring's DLC came out. Thought it was time to go back to it.

Game's so cool man. The bosses are challenging as they've always been and the battle theme must be one of my favorite ones ever, makes me want to don't stop and keep playing the game.

Tough to say.

The sky temple, while having redious sections, hat good puzzles and was fun. Also the Gerudo one. I didn't like the ice one aesthetically but it was fun too.

Yeah I the endboss was fine felt a little bit like "damn we forgot Ganondorf let's just attach him at the end" :D

Arbiter's Grounds through City in the Sky might be the best series of dungeons in any Zelda game. Snowpeak I took some time to warm up to, but upon a recent replay, it's top 3 in the game for me. Yeto and Yeta are great lol. OoT's Forest Temple is my favorite one, but that run in TP is something special.

EerieArcade

Neo Member
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Finished. Loved it. Probably my second favourite game I've played this year after FF Rebirth.

Black Myth Wukong
That doist boss annoyed me, so I deleted the game from my PS5. I might return to it one day. Maybe.

Looking at my backlog. I have a ridiculous amount of games to choose from.

The Medium
Aliens Dark Descent
Forspoken
Raging Loop
Eternights
Unicorn Overlord
Erica
Suicide of Rachel Foster
Returnal
Diofield Chronicles
Lies of P
Far Cry 6

Might play some of the shorter games on that list.

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Finished. Loved it. Probably my second favourite game I've played this year after FF Rebirth.

Black Myth Wukong
That doist boss annoyed me, so I deleted the game from my PS5. I might return to it one day. Maybe.

Looking at my backlog. I have a ridiculous amount of games to choose from.

The Medium
Aliens Dark Descent
Forspoken
Raging Loop
Eternights
Unicorn Overlord
Erica
Suicide of Rachel Foster
Returnal
Diofield Chronicles
Lies of P
Far Cry 6

Might play some of the shorter games on that list.

That's some high praise for Castlevania, I never played OoE so when my LRG copy arrives (expected February) I am excited to play it.

As for the other games on your lost, let me recommend Returnal. I was a non-believer because I hate roguelikes (not sure what your opinion is) but that game is something special. I haven't played a modern game with controls that tight in a while.

EerieArcade

Neo Member
That's some high praise for Castlevania, I never played OoE so when my LRG copy arrives (expected February) I am excited to play it.

As for the other games on your lost, let me recommend Returnal. I was a non-believer because I hate roguelikes (not sure what your opinion is) but that game is something special. I haven't played a modern game with controls that tight in a while.

How difficult is Returnal? I'm not a huge fan of roguelikes because I find them fairly challenging and I'm getting too old for that shi...stuff.

How difficult is Returnal? I'm not a huge fan of roguelikes because I find them fairly challenging and I'm getting too old for that shi...stuff.

It's pretty tough. The game expects you to die a lot and does an excellent job with progression that makes each run part of the game's story (like Hades) while preserving certain upgrades you've acquired, that made a big difference to me. If you finished OoE, I hear that game is very difficult too, so I wouldn't worry unless you really dislike 3rd person action and bullet hell games. If your concern is more the difficulty + monotony wasting your time, that is what kept me from Returnal until I tried it out on PS+. The game seems more intimidating than it is once you get going. It also has suspend functionality built in, like Fire Emblem, where you can take a break and not have to do a run in one sitting - but it gets erased once resume so you can't cheese it.

The only time it feels like a regular roguelike in terms of progression is in an optional free DLC mode (a tower). I ended up enjoying that too, but not as much as the main game.

EerieArcade

Neo Member
It's pretty tough. The game expects you to die a lot and does an excellent job with progression that makes each run part of the game's story (like Hades) while preserving certain upgrades you've acquired, that made a big difference to me. If you finished OoE, I hear that game is very difficult too, so I wouldn't worry unless you really dislike 3rd person action and bullet hell games. If your concern is more the difficulty + monotony wasting your time, that is what kept me from Returnal until I tried it out on PS+. The game seems more intimidating than it is once you get going. It also has suspend functionality built in, like Fire Emblem, where you can take a break and not have to do a run in one sitting - but it gets erased once resume so you can't cheese it.

The only time it feels like a regular roguelike in terms of progression is in an optional free DLC mode (a tower). I ended up enjoying that too, but not as much as the main game.

Cheers mate. Just installing it now. Will report back when I've played it for a few hours.

OoE is perfectly balanced imo. One of the things I loved about it. I'm hoping the other two games in the collection are of similar quality.

Finished Astrobot, so it's back to Visions of Mana and Let's Go Eevee.

I have Reynatis preordered, and that hits in two weeks. I assumed it would push something out of the way. However, I played the demo tonight and I don't enjoy the combat at all. I'll move that preorder over to the new Zelda game or something.

Jesb

Signed up to ubi+ to try out outlaws. Also playing AC mirage and Avatar. Avatar is such a beautiful game. All the green life and plant life is the best I’ve ever seen. Very stunning game, although the character models are not as well done. Some very odd gameplay design choices, but a solid game so far. Outlaws I’m just starting so I can’t say much yet. But it feels very mass Effect like. Just like the whole alien life that goes on. In the bars, full work life with technicians or other tradies doing work fixing things in the environment. To be honest I’m not having too much fun with it yet. I had to turn off that silly hacking mini game. And for some reason the grappling hook is making me die often. I also feel like how you can maneuver on mountains is ridiculous for this type of game. Just magically being able to climb walls. It made a little sense in AC since your an assassin. But it just looks ridiculous to me in this. I do love your little sidekick, cute little thing lol.

Paltheos

Persona 3 Reload: Episode Aigis - Done. My opinion's warmed a bit. The experience gets a little easier as you go along. No bonus experience from fusions (because no social links) was always a pain, but I tried spreading around Growth skills as much as I could. Coming back to P3R right after SMTV made me appreciate how much more polished that game's combat is. Animation skips being a thing is certainly a nice perk, but the UI is more solid too. In particular, stat buffs/nerfs in combat are easier to track. Also, press turns are just more fun and interesting but anyone who's played SMT already knows that!

The other flashbacks aren't as bad as Ken's; they're just kinda whatever. 15 years of time has given people the time to relate to Yukari's position. The drama between Aigis and her is generally the best story content. I also like Ken and Akihiko being willing to fight to move forward - clearly Door-kun made some kind of miracle occur to get them out of that crisis (aside from also respecting his decision-making as their leader and friend). Some lip service is paid to the danger of needing to face Nyx again if they go back, but this isn't a point pushed hard enough before they all decide to just brawl it out, and I don't like everyone else splitting off and just agreeing to fight like that. Junpei has literally no reason to fight (or not side with 'future', as he admits the hopelessness of trying to change the past), and Mitsuru wants to protect Yukari but does nothing to dissuade her from entering into combat with her friends before just going along with it. Mitsuru's known to be weak and inexperienced in personal relationships but this still veers a little far out of character for her (at heart she's supremely sensible). Obv. Koro-chan shouldn't pick a side either but that's hardly worth commenting on, and if you can just give your keys over like Fuuka you should just able to abstain from fighting, but I'm kinda belaboring this argument over the obvious point that Atlus just wanted a big fight with the other party members no matter what. Refights themselves are mostly fine, appropriately challenging with the cast having tons of moves they don't normally get, 'though Junpei and Koromaru both learning High Counter caused me a game over, which I am salty about.

drganon

Beat visions of mana. Didn't quite get the platinum for it, but got pretty close. There were a few tedious trophies left I didn't feel like doing. Either way, visions was a fun game.

Started playing yurukill. I got it on sale on psn a week ago or so. Haven't gotten that far into yet. Just about at the point the demo stopped at.

Last edited:

Paltheos

So close to finishing 13 Sentinels, the game is far better than I expected. Really glad I gave it a shot even with the short time it's available on PS+ Extra. Now I understand the Vanillaware hype.

The cool thing about Vanillaware is how they're willing to jump to completely different genres between their singular releases and still put out a quality product. The most recent Unicorn Overlord is a pretty good game too, but my go-to recommendation is still Muramasa. Just a fantastic hack-and-slash. If only the definitive version wasn't (still) stuck on the Vita :( and the only alternative being the original Wii release, which is... fine but in SD, a weaker translation, and none of the DLC scenarios.

stn

I got the platinum and all DLC trophies for Bloodborne (PS4) over the weekend, clocked in at 39 hours in total. Now going through Stellar Blade (PS5), and tonight I may also start the DLC in Tails of Arise (PS4).

The cool thing about Vanillaware is how they're willing to jump to completely different genres between their singular releases and still put out a quality product. The most recent Unicorn Overlord is a pretty good game too, but my go-to recommendation is still Muramasa. Just a fantastic hack-and-slash. If only the definitive version wasn't (still) stuck on the Vita :( and the only alternative being the original Wii release, which is... fine but in SD, a weaker translation, and none of the DLC scenarios.

Yeah, their range is pretty amazing. I remember hearing about them with Odin Sphere and Dragon's Crown but I never ended up playing those games. Thanks for the rec, I'll definitely need to check out some of their other stuff.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
About 40 hours into SMTVV, playing on hard.

Just did the fight against Artemis. Pretty fun since I was at just the right level, she kept giving me a bad time by putting my whole party to sleep just to follow it with that attack that seems straight out of Saints Seya.

Still managed to beat her, now she's in my party and IIRC from playing the vanilla game, she's pretty good.

Would love to play more but I don't have much time nowadays. Hope to be able to finish the game before Metaphor comes out.

simpatico

Gold Member
GAF should I buy GoW Ragnarok? It comes out in 2 days. What's really the deal.

I'm playing TLOU Part 1 for the first time. It's living up to the hype in terms of gameplay. I'm hooked. Got to PIttsburg and decided to restart since I found out I missed a shiv upgrade book. Plus I'm out of everything and somewhat fucked. Instead of stealthing I just quickdraw the fucking clickers.

bender

What time is it?
Got the platinum in Astro Bot. The game oozes charm but I'm not sure I'll go back to it much as most of the levels really shine with the collection aspect of the game, though I guess I could start a new save file.

Played through the opening level of Marvel Ultimate Alliance on PS5 (PS4). I finished the MUA game on Switch and have been in the mood for a action based dungeon crawler.

I also played through the opening of Days Gone. I'm not sure what happened to my save file. As much shit as I talk about the game, the game sure is pretty.

I'm still doing a co-op run of DS3 with my buddy. I'm finally starting to remember some of these areas. I haven't touched the game since the DLC launched.

I also have Luigi's Mansion 2 and Castlevania: Dominus Collection but I might save those for Halloween.

Mortisfacio

Spent a good 20 hours so far on Satisfactory. Not sure how much of it was AFK and doing something else while auto generating resources, but it's been consuming my week. My son loves it and it's been a nice way to play with him while also improving his math skills.

So close to finishing 13 Sentinels, the game is far better than I expected. Really glad I gave it a shot even with the short time it's available on PS+ Extra. Now I understand the Vanillaware hype.

I didn't like the game when I started out playing it. Despite me hating the gameplay segments, I love the Visual Novel sections of the game. Also I love how it subverts my expectations at the end. Didn't expect that twist at all, was surprised. When it comes to Story, it's their best story since Odin Sphere

Last edited:

Hrk69

Gold Member
About 40 hours into SMTVV, playing on hard.

Just did the fight against Artemis. Pretty fun since I was at just the right level, she kept giving me a bad time by putting my whole party to sleep just to follow it with that attack that seems straight out of Saints Seya.

Still managed to beat her, now she's in my party and IIRC from playing the vanilla game, she's pretty good.

Would love to play more but I don't have much time nowadays. Hope to be able to finish the game before Metaphor comes out.

I've been playing Vision of Mana. I'm around 15 to 16 hours into the game. Loving the game especially the gameplay, exploration, music and graphics. The story isn't bad but it's predictable and I saw a certain twist happening from a mile away. I like the cast too especially sexy outfit lady. I'm on Chapter 5 right now

I haven't seen any censorship so far in that regard thankfully

The recent patch I downloaded on my Steamdeck fixed the loading issues I had with the game. The game before the patch would start in 5 to 15 minutes, with the patch it's now underneath 1 minute

My only other issue is playing on Steamdeck, the text is small. Wish you could adjust the size of the text in the options

Runs great on Steamdeck too

Last edited:

dmaul1114

I’m making another stab at getting through Tears of the Kingdom. Dropped it a while back and picked it up again the other day. Working on the Water temple as my 2nd temple currently.

engstra

Finished Horizon Forbidden West. I enjoyed my time with it but overall a weaker experience than the first one in terms of story and discovery. For a game that is so combat focused it really does not do a good job of introducing you to new weapons and making you experiment with them. I pretty much used the starter bow at max level. It's got to be said that the game looks absolutely stunning.

Now onto Astrobot!

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Space Marine 2 - Operations Mode keeps me coming back for more, decidedly old-school game, happy to support these devs. Over 40 hours clocked total but man this game needs the PS5Pro/better optimization, worst performing game I've played on PS5.

RE3 Remake - finished it last night, going to start another run. Solid remake but nowhere near the likes of RE4 or RE2 and waaay too short, reason I didn't buy it launch, I've been there day 1 for pretty much every other RE release.

System Shock - near the end, fantastic immersive sim, you can see where Bioshock got some of it's inspiration.

Hotline Miami 2 - another one I somehow missed at launch despite loving the first game. It's more of the same, right down to the god-tier soundtrack, good stuff.

Waiting for Plucky Squire next week, Metaphor, Silent Hill 2 and Shadows of the Damned remaster in October, if you love games the fun never stops 👌

Rivdoric

Finished Horizon Forbidden West. I enjoyed my time with it but overall a weaker experience than the first one in terms of story and discovery. For a game that is so combat focused it really does not do a good job of introducing you to new weapons and making you experiment with them. I pretty much used the starter bow at max level. It's got to be said that the game looks absolutely stunning.

Now onto Astrobot!

Yeah same disappointment for me.
The story that was so interesting in Zero Dawn has been replaced with a very weak one to appeal to Gen Z and "broader audience". All characters have become a caricature and the story was completely stupid.
The combat also was a huge letdown. Too many weapons & ammo and the whole system went to a confusing pile of crap where it was perfect on the first title.
They also introduced lame & unneeded changes that made the fights completely frustrating & unbalanced like now Aloy knocked down for 10 seconds everytime you take a hit, made me want to throw my controller everytime lmao.

Last edited:
Top Bottom