• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game will you play for spooky October?

xrnzaaas

Alan Wake Remastered. It's not scary in the slightest, though.

I'm hoping that Visage will be on sale on PSN shortly, so I can play something a bit scarier.
Visage is a great if you're looking for a scary game. I'm usually very resistant to any scares, but the game made me uncomfortable in multiple situations. They've done a really good job with that.

The rest of the game may not be as great and you can very easily get lost without a guide, but it's still a good pick at a discounted price.

envyzeal

How is throne and liberty? Is it p2w? I don’t mind spending money but it must be fair.
As a L2 fan, I’m enjoying it so far. Characters/weapons are cool, the world feels alive and huge. The scale between your character and buildings/landscape is perfect.

Cons: systems are very confusing, even for a mmo vet, you have to do some research so you don’t mess up. As a Korean mmo, it is p2w but not a very high ceiling, you can definitely have fun without spending anything.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I always like to scour the eshop for terrible horror games that are on sale for a buck or two around this time. Get a couple beers and some friends and play through the god-awful games. It’s a blast.

Mhmmm 2077

Gonna play stuff from my backlog as soon as I finish the game I'm currently playing, so probably:
-Happy Game
-SOMA
-Scorn
-Creepy Tale
-Costume Quest
-Black Mirror
-Pumpkin Jack
-Bulb Boy
-Fran Bow
-maybe more

Probably not all of these, but as many as time allows me.

Fear and Hunger seems to be becoming quite popular rn.

c4IngW.jpg

Only Silent Hill 2 and Inscryption for this October. Also looking forward to Fear the Spotlight and Post Trauma but wont be able to fit into my schedule.

Got this game on PS5 and man...Its hella fun! Lmao

Link;

Last edited:
I'm powering through my first run of Alien Isolation. Been doing some late-night RE7 as well, but I also want to see if I can finish Doom 3 again within the span of this month.

I initially thought I would replay the Dead Space remake, but I already cleared it multiple times last year, including an impossible mode run.

SJRB

Gold Member
Visage and maybe Darkwood too but there's a 93% chance I'm too chicken shit to play either.

Those games are scary as hell.

cjp

Just got the platinum in the Dead Space remake.

Picked up MediEvil on sale and will also try those Little Nightmares games.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I got Callisto Protocol from Humble Bundle recently and haven't started it...so either that or maybe a run through Hollow Knight. It's not spooky but it has a Nightmare before Christmas/Jack Skeleton kinda vibe.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Silent Hill 2R is now THE Halloween/October game for me

Arguably second place:

98cSvN6.jpeg

Honorable mention to Costume Quest 1 & 2

Last edited:
I always wanted to try The Dark Pictures Anthology series. How does the gameplay compare to Heavy Rain/Detroit Become Human?

As for retro titles on my backlog:

1. Forbidden Siren 2 (ps2)
  2. D (ps1)
  3. Dino Crisis (dreamcast)
  4. Resident Evil 1 Seamless HD project (PC)
Tried Fatal Frame 2 a couple of months ago and although the atmosphere was creepy, the "picture taking" gameplay and the way the characters moved was too slow and clunky for me.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I always wanted to try The Dark Pictures Anthology series. How does the gameplay compare to Heavy Rain/Detroit Become Human?
Less action-y / methodical than Heavy Rain, more "choose your own adventure" decision-making and short QTEs like Detroit Become Human (but much less often and less involved, if that makes sense). These are primarily "interactive movies" more than "games". I personally love them, especially with friends for pass-the-controller couch co-op.

Arachnid

These three beauties. Currently making my way through Silent Hill 2 and Amnesia: The Bunker (potentially the best Amnesia game for me already; like holy shit, it's a mini version of Alien Isolation). I'm going to love all the walking through dark, tight corridors with a spotty flashlight this month.

Alan Wake 2 is on standby.

0b7723701ba49078ad640b5405be1f50767dcea9.gifv

221165.gif

Lantern_OPT.gif

Last edited:

Jesb

I’m on my 2nd playthrough of RE Village. Just got to the last area stronghold. I’d like to play SH2 but not an option sadly right now. Wouldn’t mind giving Alan Wake 2 a try but it’s still full price.

noobdoomguy8658

Neo Member
Gonna play stuff from my backlog as soon as I finish the game I'm currently playing, so probably:
-Happy Game
-SOMA
-Scorn
-Creepy Tale
-Costume Quest
-Black Mirror
-Pumpkin Jack
-Bulb Boy
-Fran Bow
-maybe more

Probably not all of these, but as many as time allows me.
Reminds me of my overly-ambitious plans for Spooktober or New Years when I put too many things on the list and barely ever end up crossing one thing out (because I want to, like, complete the thing if I put it on the list). Seeing most people here not compiling longs lists of considerably lengthy games kinda feels like a wake-up call.

Trying to learn and keep it realistic this year: playing Doom 3 (maybe the expansions if I have the time, too), the original 2004 version with the separate flashlight; never beat it without them cheats as a kid, but it's time to fix that. Maybe Amnesia: Rebirth.

pqueue

Alan Wake (1) because it is set in the PNW in the fall, and has some spooky viobes here and there

Far Cry 5 because it is ALSO set in the PNW during the fall.

Kupfer

Can't wait for a rainy and dark weekend to finally play Alan Wake 2 :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: Should be delivered @ 22th of October.

Last edited:
After completing Astro Bot, I'm playing a bit of Space Marine 2, but also managed to find my old PSP and 3DS, so have been playing a lot of Dante's Inferno and Ocarina of Time. Old games just hit differently bruh.

Top Bottom