• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game would you erase from existence?

Rickyiez

I don't hate the game as much as you do but man for how much people love to tout it as the best MMO.. I just don't see it. I dislike the combat a lot and ARR was such a boring slog to go though with the constant back and forth between quests and the padding.. my god the padding.
I meant XV or FF15 , not FF14 (FFXIV) mate. The bros trip should be obvious enough

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Why would I EVER want to do that? Even I dont like GaaS or sports games they are people who do.

If I dont like a game then I just dont play it.

Hero_Select

I meant XV or FF15 , not FF14 (FFXIV) mate. The bros trip should be obvious enough
Oh oh. Yeah. FF15 was at best a 7/10 for me but the bro trip is actually what made it better for me.

The combat is terrible though, they did improve on it when they let you switch characters in battle but that game has a lot of issues. Especially with how static and boring the world is.. and the dull side-quests.

I_D

I grew up on games made from developers who prided themselves on being able to include as much content as possible: Various modulators (big-head mode, paintball mode, extra health mode, one-hit-kill mode, etc.), extra skins, secret levels and items, and so forth.

As such, I would delete whichever game was the first one to include cosmetic items that cost money. "Horse armor" is the one that comes to mind, but chances are somebody else did it first. Either way, that's the game I'd get rid of.
I know the same problem would arise eventually anyway, but it would at least have delayed the inevitable crap that we have now.

RCX

Fortnite. Mostly to put an end to that fucking artstyle that every other trend-chasing game copied.

sdfk

Neo Member
I want to say something that people actually care about and that has had a lasting impact on gaming like CoD or Overwatch or something like that, but for me it's easily Shadow Warrior (1997). Aside from the uncomfortable racism/misogyny that wasn't aged well in its own time and has only gotten mustier and grodier since its inception, basically none of the innovations it could hope to boast were things it was actually first to aside from Maybe its focus on explosives/projectile combat, and even then the game's aesthetic is either try-hard 14 year old edge or absolutely bland sludge such that it makes for a truly uninviting experience, at least for me. And like, for context, I will sit down and play Duke3D for *hours*, I'm not just having a crybaby moment at the game, it just looks enough like shit that I do not need to experience it unless I feel that I have no other games I could be better off playing.

YCoCg

Telltale Games The Walking Dead.

This game single handily caused Telltale to abandon the classic point and click style they've been doing over the years and made them go all in on cash grab IPS doing shit like Game of Thrones, etc, taking on too many projects at once and eventually leading to their own death.

flying_sq

I have to pick Halo 2. I love that game, played so much of it, I don't even want to know. Cumulatively at least one full year, probably between 2 or 3. It is such a pivotal game for online multiplayer, that it has to go. So many tropes came from it, but damn is it good. Every FPS changed overnight because of it, but I think it was so good, that it was the first real game I can recall the entire industry chasing. I mean how many "halo killers" were there? When was the last time there was something like that?

Uncharted or Uncharted 2.

Really led PlayStation Studios in an awful direction for 15+ years that we're only now healing from. Thankfully the disease seems to be passing.
Yes, we’re finally getting away from that trash era thankfully. What a horrendous game Uncharted 2 was.

The releases of Concord and soon-to-be smash hit FairGame$ have really given me hope that Sony has finally pulled their heads out of their asses.

Fbay0vA.gif

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Yes, we’re finally getting away from that trash era thankfully. What a horrendous game Uncharted 2 was.

The releases of Concord and soon-to-be smash hit FairGame$ have really given me hope that Sony has finally pulled their heads out of their asses.

Fbay0vA.gif

Concord teaches the right lessons.
Uncharted taught the wrong ones.

Concord teaches the right lessons.
Uncharted taught the wrong ones.
Don’t get me wrong, I see your actual underlying point about how Sony’s template for a decade+ after Uncharted was all “sad dad cinematic walking simulators”

But I vastly prefer that to whateverthefuck we’re getting from them these days.

To say that “we’re now healing” and “the disease seems to be passing” is…quite the head scratcher given their lackluster output the last few years - not to mention the investments they’ve made in certain studios in recent years along with the type of games they’re investing in.

Last edited:

RCX

Fortnite

From the boring ass artstyle to the nickel and dime business model its had so much negative influence on the rest of the industry.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Don’t get me wrong, I see your actual underlying point about how Sony’s template for a decade+ after Uncharted was all “sad dad cinematic walking simulators”

But I vastly prefer that to whateverthefuck we’re getting from them these days.

To say that “we’re now healing” and “the disease seems to be passing” is…quite the head scratcher given their lackluster output the last few years - not to mention the investments they’ve made in certain studios in recent years along with the type of games they’re investing in.
The industry is stronger today than it was back then. It's serving many more types of gamers today than it was in 2009.

They're absolutely healing. PlayStation was a AAA SP franchise factory for over a decade. Now they're back to creating new IP. You might not like the new IP but a lot of other gamers do.

Fortnite

From the boring ass artstyle to the nickel and dime business model its had so much negative influence on the rest of the industry.
People misuse the term "nickle and dime".

Fortnite has a cosmetics tab. You have to go over to it and buy MTX to purchase them. I haven't spent time in that tab in years because going straight into gameplay is quicker and easier. Nickle and dime means that you want to buy an SUV on the lot for the sticker tag of 30,000 dollars. Then you walk inside with the salesman and he tells you about a number of smaller, hidden fees that bring the price of the vehicle up to 36,000 dollars. That's what "nickle and diming" refers to.

Fornite doesn't nickle and dime gamers at all.

Last edited:

GrayChild

Just one? Man, it's not fair...

I'd gladly erase like... 80% of everything made from the modern game industry from existence.

Madflavor

w48z6bzefZPrRcJHc7L8SO66.png

Didn't need a sequel, and the discourse surrounding the game was annoying af. First game was almost perfect and completed Joel and Ellie's story. Would rather Naughty Dog have made a new IP or a sequel to TLOU that follows completely different characters.

It's also the game where Neil Druckmann and Naughty Dog really inflated the egos, and have been stroking themselves off with re-releases, director's commentary (fucking LOL), and a middling show adaptation, instead of getting a new game out.

Mighty No 9

It's a mediocre game that is inferior in every way to the game that inspired it, which released nearly a quarter of a century before it. On top of that, the broken Kickstarter promises and repeated delays badly damaged the reputation of a once respected figure in the games industry, and he's never really recovered from it.

Last edited:

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
is hard to decide, but I think I would erase Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. even if it's a good game, it started us down the whole micro-transactions path.

Parazels

Perfect Dark 1 - didn't enjoy any minute in the "game".
Conker Live Reloaded - I had played 10 hours before that impossible jet race. Wasted time!

Rare is the best in making shitty games!

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Fortnite and then you can probably kill Epic.

And a bunch of other games/studios that rely on their middleware.
The only reason Epic was able to get Unreal Engine to keep going was because of Fortnite.

Caio

I was thinking about a game...but it was already delisted 2 days ago, I think.
Sony do what you are best to, please avoid this kind of "experiments".

Top Bottom