• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Is a Genre You Absolutely HATE?

Myths

Snl Fight Me GIF by Saturday Night Live

I'm just kidding ... I can't stand Souls-likes and PvP games. Love Co-op games, Action/Adventures, and RPGs with skill trees.
I should just drop the ‘J’ as, anyone that knows me, knows I take issue with it depending on definitions. Should just be with the other two said as a general statenent. Admittedly, FFV/CT are my favs but something about today’s dev I can’t stand to see implemented. Not sure if it’s incompetence or jadedness.

Natsuko

Sports games (unless you move yourself). I'm terrible at them. Things like Ring Fit, Fitness Boxing and the like are okay, even if I rarely play them. But I wouldn't say hate. It's just not my thing. Tried it a few times. Gave up on this games.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
not a big fan of battle royale games like Fortnite. just not my thing. and also sports games in general. I never see the point of them.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
MOBAs. DOTA was cool when it was some random Warcraft 3 mod. It's now the sweatiest, ugliest genre going with the worst fanbase in gaming.

unclbenn

mmo's , i've tried to get into them with friends but it never seems fun and always seems like work. i just dont understand the appeal to them, i often think they are for casual gamers that dont mind the grind. it reminds me of mobile games now where your just idling and crafting.

Magister

Neo Member
I wanted to like CRPGs, but they are too much luck/save-scumming based. Also, I dislike heavy emphasis on builds as I mess up all the time. These are the reasons why I will never get into Baldur's Gate 3. I also tried Shadowrun Trilogy and found that the combat was poorly explained and it was the first taste I got of CRPG storytelling where the game is basically an interactive book with static lillustrations. As for traditionl WRPGs, I also tried Outer Worlds/Fallout 4 and what is that nonsense with bullet sponges even on easier difficulties (Yes, I admit I rage quit), but I liked Skyrim, but I reinstalled my Windows and my Deadric armor that I grinded for days was gone along with my saves.

Instead I prefer if you give me some JRPG like SMT whose rules I know and love (because the combat is mostly skill/ability-based rather than entirely luck-dependent) and I will have lots of fun with it.

Still, I totally love me some ARPGs like Diablo. That shit is like crack to me, but unfortunately once I beat the main story I don't have the motivation to go on. I guess I'm very casual with them.

Grand strategy / Strategy games in general: This one is hard for me as almost all guys at my course played them. I just can't get into them. These games are way too complex. I also find regular strategy games too hard. I totally sucked at Warcraft 3 Undead Campaign (couldn't finish it wihout the cheats. I'm a failure of a human being, I know that).
Puzzle games: I can't stand puzzles in video games, so don't give me any puzzle game. I like to think tactically, so even something like a tactical RPG is a good alternative to me. There is one exception, Gems of War. What the hell, that RPG/Match 3 hybrid was so addicting. I don't know if it's pay to win now as I stopped playing it now.
Gacha: I have love/hate relationship with it. I love the designs of some characters, but I hate the gambling aspect and grind. For those reasons, gacha games can't hold my attention for more than 2 weeks.
Racing/Sports: My parents gifted me a lot of these games when I was a kid. I usually played them for 2 hours, then quit. For me it's the least exciting genre along with sports.
Honourable dislikes: Shmups; City-building sims; MOBA; Multiplayer shooters.

That being said, there are far more genres that I like than dislike. I'm an universal gamer, but I always don't have the time to play the games I want to play.

Last edited:

Gideon

Shooters and not hate but Card deck games, I saw one cool game with a very interesting description only for it to be a card game.

Top Bottom