• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Is a Genre You Absolutely HATE?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hero shooters for sure. Literally zero interest in those, and it pleases me whenever one of them fails.

But also pretty much everything that is exclusively PVP (and thus generally also GAAS), except for Rocket League.

Last edited:

ssringo

It's really unnecessary how angry seeing that in the description makes me. There is no reason why a genre type should upset me. I should just move on to other things like I do with literally everything else, but nope. Unjustifiable anger.
Browsing through upcoming releases, find something that looks fun and then find out it's another rogue like/lite? Double points for early access! The anger is quite justifiable.

Nonehxc

I like stories, hence I always loved SP games. I dislike anything to do with building in first and third person, sandbox or GaaS. I love many games with base building strapped on, but for me, it's just obnoxious bureaucracy, build this so I can get the Forge then craft awesome shit, usually.

That said, I love RTS/TBS and building on those.

I don't really hate anything, I just despise the current GaaS, Moba, Sandbox, hero, looter, etc, and while some multiplayer games I like, I just don't get hooked on any loop and having lots of finite time to play snd lots of mechanically different games with nice or awesome stories, I'm very proud to boast my 600h of playing 45 different games against someone's 600h addiction to the current gaming Fentanyl of the season. 🫡

Last edited:
Racing sim games. I feel like every single other genre I've tried in my life, I've at least had some enjoyment. Obviously there are some genres I like more than others. But racing sims? Don't think you could pay me to play those games, just a total snooze fest for me.

SkylineRKR

I hate hero shooters too. I rather play something more straightforward such as heyday CoD and BF.

Roguelike isn't my cup either, but Returnal is one of my favourite games. That however has more to do with its excellent gameplay and atmosphere. If it were a regular metroidvania with save rooms I would've liked it just as much, perhaps even more. Dead Cells same. I really like it but more for its mechanics and looks. It would've been awesome as a regular platform action game as well.

MMO's have never gelled with me. I don't hate them but a game where the end is never in sight is not for me because I want to play other games (duh). I feel like the entire genre is a ploy for developers to leech onto my wallet.

Last edited:

Zannegan

I don't hate SHMUPS, but I don't enjoy them. Same for technical fighting games. Anything high in repetition (and, to be honest, skill, lol) just feels like a waste of leisure time.

On the other end of the no-fun spectrum are walking sims, QTE-fests, and super linear third person adventures (unless they're puzzle-focused). In general, anything that sacrifices player agency for the sake of (generally terrible) storytelling feels like watching a bad movie with more steps.

Great games can be linear or open-world, single or multiplayer. As long as I have some say in how I approach the game's obstacles--including the freedom to fail spectacularly and to succeed in sub-optimal ways--I'm in. If there's only one way to do something, with the irrational exception of puzzles, I'm out.

El Muerto

Gold Member
Rogue-like, Souls-like. So exhausting to play. You have to really buckle down and learn the rhythm of the game. Takes too much time to get started and never felt rewarding when beating any of them.
Open world survival crafting. Incredibly boring genre. The cheapest looking games too.

SHA

Idk, a genre that uses phrases for fun but means something completely different for historians, I'm not specialized in this field and I don't count myself professional but that would be the absolute mean thing a content creator would attempt to put in his work.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Action rpgs the aka "worst of both worlds" on paper seems like a good idea but the execution sucks 99% of the time

oh and I think the modern "cinematic action adventure game" genre is borderline worthless and completely boring

just make an anime/tv show you hacks! I don't find any of them fun to play

I dislike lots of genres. Sadly for me, most of them are very popular today:
- Rogue like/lite
- Souls style games
- Hero shooters
- Anything multiplayer focused
- Puzzle or strategy focused games
- MMO
- Anime

Last edited:

Hookshot

Gold Member
I'm not a fan of "corpse running" which is infecting 2d and 3d games. It's just pointless busy work to inflate playtime especially in games like Hollow Knight where the enemies respawn but elevators don't so you have to wait around over and over.

Laptop1991

Gaas and MTX games from modern times in the last 10 years or so and i have always disliked Deathmatch games from the very start back in the 90's.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Racing sim games. I feel like every single other genre I've tried in my life, I've at least had some enjoyment. Obviously there are some genres I like more than others. But racing sims? Don't think you could pay me to play those games, just a total snooze fest for me.
I really miss DriveClub. It was the perfect balance between sim and arcade.

I really miss DriveClub. It was the perfect balance between sim and arcade.
I did try drive club when it was free on PS+, it was ok but nothing special to me. But do agree, it found a way to get a little arcardy on top of being a sim. Little bit of a different genre. Wouldn't consider that a true competitor to games like GT and Forza

wizaga

Neo Member
Digital Cardgames, open world Suvival games, rougelike and soulslike games. I can't stand those type of games anymore

StereoVsn

I strongly dislike most of modern MP affairs like Hero Shooters, Battle Royale, etc.

I am also not a fan for gatcha games. No matter the other redeeming quality, my first thought is that it’s trash.

Finally rogue-likes are not my jam at all as developers often use it a crutch for lack of proper progression and story. Now, there are some exceptions like Hades, but most of the genre is meh.

Rogue like/lite. If your game has that in the description, I immediately stop caring.

I don't mind the thing where you loose and inherit stuff between tries, but why does it always have to be randomly generated levels? The worlds always feel artificial and simply don't hook me.

Fbh

Point and click "adventure" games.
I've disliked them since I was a kid.

It never felt like I was actually solving puzzles, it always felt like a tedious process of trial and error to figure out the specific way devs wanted you to solve a problem.

Like you needed to light a candle to progress and you find a box of matches.
But for some reason you can't use them to light the candle. You need to trade them with the bartender for a pint of beer which you then give to some rascals so they start trouble which will distract a guard so you can steal his keys which you use to open a door where you find a book which you trade with the innkeeper for a torch which is the only item the game will allow you to use to light the candle for some reason.

Last edited:
Hate? Mobile gacha games. Marvel SNAP has solid gameplay, but the grind killed it for me.

As for genres I don't care for: Technical fighting games because I've never been great at twitch-based sports or games; I need time to think. Along that line, RTSes are only fun for me when I can turtle and lower the difficulty. I much prefer turn-based strategy games.

ZoukGalaxy

Any online multiplayer game, even more when it's battle royal and massive.

anakin skywalker hate GIF

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Sports games
Action role-playing games
Survival games
Games at a service
Puzzle games
Hero shooter games

Last edited:

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Side scrollers like Ori and Hollow Knight. I hate them so much. And all the soulless generic pixel art ones too

The only exceptions are Dead Cells and Cuphead which are quite good.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Rogue like/lite. If your game has that in the description, I immediately stop caring.
Ding ding. Basically light your time on fire simulators.

I appreciate games like dead cells and hades 1&2, adding bitch made modes so I don’t have to subject myself to this horse shit so I can enjoy the game.

bundylove

Hate may be too strong of word, but I have no patience for games that are Soulsborne. To this day I do not know how I was able to beat Code Vein and Stellar Blade. Every other game in that sort of style has stressed me beyond my ability to enjoy and complete which makes me sad because I love the atmosphere in those games when not in battle.
I like smashing controllers. I dont like the clean up after that

Top Bottom